• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Japan Time! The Official Phantom Hourglass (JP) Thread

nofi

Viceroy Fizzlebottom said:
Yeah, I think the poster you quoted was going a little overboard but I had to take issue with this little bit. I think there are many people (myself included) who have a pretty solid understanding of Japanese but are either confronted by an uncommon word (神殿 for example) or see a word that they know but either forgot the kanji or can't read it cause the DS is so freaking tiny. And considering the game gives the kanji readings for the benefit of kids playing the game, I think the quoted posters' opinion on this one is still valid. They should've allowed a button to progress the menus and if you wanted to tap, should've limited it only to the flashing down arrow.

But then again, I say that only cause I've sometimes been reading something and not known one kanji compound - and in hopes of finding that out and better understanding the story/hint/humor, have had the entire text block taken away from me. It is frustrating.

Fair enough, at least you're not just crying for the sake of it. I agree that the characters are small, but I guess that's limited by the resolution of the DS' screen. With regards to tapping, I just tap the top right corner so there's no chance of confusion.

I just can't think of another way they could have done this, unless they had just removed the kanji completely.

Chris Michael said:
TSA is making me less hyped for the game. :( (as I once was)

I'm not through with it yet because I haven't touched multiplayer yet...perhaps I will go nuts over that. And technically, I haven't given my full, final thoughts, just really mind doodles here and there.

Plus, playing it through a second time...I'm finding I appreciate things more.

nofilter said:
I just can't think of another way they could have done this, unless they had just removed the kanji completely.

Well, I think if you could only tap the arrow in the lower right hand corner (kind of like you've been doing) then there wouldn't be any problem. But you can tap anywhere on the speech bubble - that's the problem.

And I'm glad they didn't dumb it down with next to no kanji either. As a non-native, reading something in pure hiragana and trying to figure out meanings when there's no kanji to help out is a massive headache.

rhino4evr

I think a lot of you are just too damned picky. I know this is GAF, but come on guys. TSA especially, I understand you run a fansite, but you are the most critical Zelda fan Ive ever come across. I can remember reading your whining about Wii-Waggle controls before TP came out.
For most of us, TP was a great game. It might not have lived up to the hype of some fanboys, but it was still one of the best Zelda titles ever. I think TSA will never be happy with the new Nintendo direction. You need to let those 8-bit memories fade a bit. Nintendo could release the same game over and over again with the same control style, but instead they are choosing to make things different. Which is pretty exciting to an old gamer like myself.
I know it's your opinion, but it appears to be overlly cynical. You should stop hunting for things to complain about, and actually enjoy playing games again.

rhino4evr said:
I think a lot of you are just too damned picky. I know this is GAF, but come on guys. TSA especially, I understand you run a fansite, but you are the most critical Zelda fan Ive ever come across. I can remember reading your whining about Wii-Waggle controls before TP came out.
For most of us, TP was a great game. It might not have lived up to the hype of some fanboys, but it was still one of the best Zelda titles ever. I think TSA will never be happy with the new Nintendo direction. You need to let those 8-bit memories fade a bit. Nintendo could release the same game over and over again with the same control style, but instead they are choosing to make things different. Which is pretty exciting to an old gamer like myself.
I know it's your opinion, but it appears to be overlly cynical. You should stop hunting for things to complain about, and actually enjoy playing games again.

Whenever I complain about the missed oppertunity that is The Wind Waker, this post comes up over and over and over again. It does my bloody head in. Being picky about a game doesn't mean you don't enjoy it, it just means you'd have enjoyed it more had they done x. I think Majora's Mask was perfect. I don't have a bad word to say about the game, yet I could moan about Twilight Princess until the day the sun dies and consumes the solar system. Still, which of the two qualifies as my favourite game ever?

I'll give you a hint, it's not Majora's Mask.

rhino4evr

I think too many of you are perfectionists. I'm sure TSA enjoys the game, but you could barely tell with all the negative-super cynical comments. It's pretty much taking nitpick complaints and blowing them up the size of the ocean.

Instead of screaming, "The Dungeons in Twilight Princess are amazing", you're screaming "Oh my god, the music in this particular part of the game is awful" or "Castletown sucks" You focus way too much on the negative side of the story, which I guess makes your posts more interesting to read, but less meaningfull in the grand scheme of things. Which is what most of these threads are about, people complaing about pointless crap. I don't know why I even bother reading them.

OMG too many coins in the game!!

rhino4evr said:
Instead of screaming, "The Dungeons in Twilight Princess are amazing", you're screaming "Oh my god, the music in this particular part of the game is awful"

You should read my review of Twilight Princess somtime, then...

And I think you've also failed to read the times in this thread I have pointed out positives.

rhino4evr said:

1) For most of us, including me, TP was a "great" game. Did you read my review yet?
2) I do enjoy them the first time I play through them. Then I play through them over and over, and it's around that time I find the flaws and bring them up.

I think I really need to write up my impressions to settle this issue...many of you think I do not like this game. So here's a statement:

I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass immensely and the stylus control was a breath of fresh air. The game is not perfect, but the unique control scheme is leaps and bounds superior in effort and execution than those found on the Wii version of Twilight Princess. Not just the stylus controls, but the use of every instrument on the DS itself, such as the microphone. In many regards, the stylus control makes Zelda more precise - a range of precision with both movement and control are available for the first time. Twilight Princess attempted this but ultimately underdelivered as a result of it not being built ground-up for the Wii. The only control issue found was small, sudden movements, such as needing to precisely swing the sword manually (a problem that plagued Twilight Princess on Wii), and navigating tight areas (which I found to be easier with a traditional analog stick than with the stylus). However, the latter issue I believe stemmed from a fixed camera system; had there been a camera control option, I believe the game would easily have superior movement.

Music is rather bland, with short, repetitive tracks, although there's about five or six tracks that stand out. Graphics are pretty good - the overworld is where they stand out the most, but in dungeons, the design gets a bit bland, but Tingle RPG provided a more aesthetically please experience with its strictly 2D presentation. The gameplay is a return to 2D Zelda, but blends in elements of the 3D adventures to create an interesting hybrid. The title is not that difficult, but the battles are fun - I found myself wanting to attack random enemies all the time, whereas in previous games, I'd usually run around them because it was a bore. The game has a good length, easily longer than any portable Zelda to date.

No comment on the story yet as I need to play it English to be able to get "everything", but even in Japanese, Lineback joins the ranks of Midna as another excellent sidekick, but this time Lineback doesn't steal the show from Link. I did have issue with the fact that, yet again, Zelda (aka Tetra) is reduced to a rather underwhelming role. Perhaps one of these days, Zelda will be Link's sidekick in a game.

For those who were left with a stale taste after Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass is just for you. For those who loved the intricacy and maturity of Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass may be a bit easy-going, but it still has that "Zelda" feel so it should be just as enjoyable. Lack of sidequests (as far as I could tell, I may have missing something) is a disappointment, but made up by the multiplayer mode, which is essentially a completely different experience from the main game. Competitive Zelda has finally arrived, and where the Four Swords titles failed, Phantom Hourglass succeeds - Zelda has its successful "multiplayer" element.

Now, though, it seems that Nintendo is stuck with "two" Zeldas even more than before. Succeeding in many of the areas where The Wind Waker failed, Phantom Hourglass will re-establish the cel-shaded, easy-going style of Zelda in the wake of Twilight Princess bringing back the feel of the Ocarina of Time style Zeldas. So I guess the big question is; which style will the next Zelda be in?"

Well, no, there are a few and some mini-games. I just really didn't get into them, which could be a result of the Japanese language barrier. So I really can't say too much on them, but they seemed less apparent then previous games.

Deku

Banned
TSA said:
Well, no, there are a few and some mini-games. I just really didn't get into them, which could be a result of the Japanese language barrier. So I really can't say too much on them, but they seemed less apparent then previous games.

So you play a game you don't fully understand, and run it as a speed run challenge. I see.

Neo Child

Banned
stalker said:
Fours Swords failed as a multiplayer game? are we talking about the GC game?

Four Swords was primarily a multiplayer game, a multiplayer party game really, so good when your drunk.

PH doesn't have the same feeling, and mutliplayer isnt as good as it wasn't focussed on it, but still fun.

Who the hell said FS failed as a multiplayer game?

rhino4evr

nice impressions TSA. It sounds like an overall great experience. Im glad its longer then any other portable Zelda game, that was always a problem for me. Why must we wait so long!!!

Deku said:
So you play a game you don't fully understand, and run it as a speed run challenge. I see.

This is where I do wish I could reach through my monitor and slap people. I don't even know where to begin in refuting your remark, but I think a good point is no speedrun on earth is ever done on a first playthrough. Or second. Or third... Get my drift? And I already said earlier that I do not f-ing rush through the game at first, that I enjoy it the first time I play thruogh.

Seriously, has GAF reading comprehension gone down overnight?

Fours Swords on GBA was an utter failure. Four Swords Adventures was a commercial failure the multiplayer, while had potentialed, sufferred from the fact you needed one of the most elaborate setups, that also wasn't cheap. If you experienced the multiplayer on it, you're lucky. For most of us, it was a solo-adventure with a multiplayer mode that widely went untouched.

When I mean "failure", I'm talking about it 1) didn't sell well 2) wasn't very popular and 3) actually presented a system that was condusive to multiplayer.

FS and FSA were two of the lamest marketing schemes to force players to buy accessories to experience multiplayer. That was Nintendo's answer to "online" in the GBA/GCN days...ressurecting that dreadful device that was around during the GB/NES days...that "Four Play" thing?

Anyone have a pic of that crap from the 80s?

Still, I enjoyed FSA's single-player option...that was highly awesome...controlling four Links. In fact, FSA's single player mode was one of the most drastic changes to Zelda gameplay ever.

I still want a Four Swords Adventures for DS. Wifi co-op. Come on, that would be incredible.

TSA, didn't you say you added more videos? I can't find them on youtube.

Through halfway into the game...see front page of this thread.

I'm working on 6 more segments as we speak...sorry, Anime Expo is coming up and I have to plan out the schedule for coverage because we're launching my new site and I have to help setup filimg for our first webisode.

Oh yeah, epic news:

Latest Media Crate Numbers:
1) The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 303,000 copies

Oh yeah...that's with just like 1 day of sales. I'll update the thread.

I'm glad Aounoma said TWW style zelda wont continue on consoles. There has been way to many TWW style looking games already and having more would make the franchise stagnant and bland looking.

Oh yeah, I've been getting a bunch of questions (mainly on my site) about the clarification of "2D" mechanics.

Because of the fixed camera in PH, much of the game feels like a 2D Zelda. However, I (think I) said that is more like 2.5D somewhere. That's because some puzzle solving/moving does go beyond an X and Y axis range. For example, a non-spoiler example would be a switch you have to hit is in the same room, but "above" you. So you have to scale some steps to get that high and hit it. So it gives the illusion of movement along a Z axis. However, you can't freely move along all three planes. And the aforementioned puzzle type was present in A Link to the Past (having to go up steps to a higher area to hit switches on higher ledges). The game uses 3D models...so it's 3D visuals, but the "playing" part isn't exactly in true 3D with full range of motion and camera control.

Edit: Mother of god, I replayed the
Ice dungeon, and not knowing Japanese made figuring out the "sling-shot" with the grappling hook part SO much rewarding, as well as the part with the two eyes you have to bounce arrows off the rope to hit. I just hope in English, it isn't spoon fed..figuring this stuff out on your own is the experience I want from Zelda.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet on the thread, but has anyone else noticed that certain combinations of boat parts result in upped boat stats? For instance, I put a bunch of island-themed stuff on it (grassy deck, palm tree nose, clam shell anchor, etc) and the green hearts went up by 1. I figure there are a few more theme combinations too that probably increase speed, attack power, jump ability and so forth.

That would be a negative. I shot the damn things...but they did nothing...so I figured I'd get back to them later. I'm on my third playthrough so I'm starting to try out more things...screweing around and all.

You need to find the frog island - it's in the northeast map, hidden. There's a puzzle there you need to solve to open up the big frog who will let you shoot the little ones and from then use them to warp.

BTW - Your note about the stones in the dungeon you mentioned - it's always optional to hit the stones in dungeons, they only give you hints and treasure locations. If you want the challenge of not knowing, just don't hit the stones. Though I really do think there should be less of them.

ant1532

Banned
Haven't posted in this thread in a while because... My game came in a couple days ago!! :D

CameIn.jpg

Thing is I haven't touched it yet due to my believe in starting a game then finishing it before playin the next so I had to focus all my time on the last case on Phoenix Wright... WHICH TOOK FOREVER! I just finished it now actually, (around 4:30 am :lol, I had to finish it.) Yeah so now, I'm gunna play start up and play about a half hour or so of Phantom Hourglass before I fall asleep.

TimeToPlay.jpg

nofi

ant1532 said:
Yeah so now, I'm gunna play start up and play about a half hour or so of Phantom Hourglass before I fall asleep.

If you're anything like me you'll still be awake until at least you've done the first dungeon. It's addictive...

Sagitario

ant1532 said:
Thing is I haven't touched it yet due to my believe in starting a game then finishing it before playin the next so I had to focus all my time on the last case on Phoenix Wright... WHICH TOOK FOREVER! I just finished it now actually, (around 4:30 am :lol, I had to finish it.) Yeah so now, I'm gunna play start up and play about a half hour or so of Phantom Hourglass before I fall asleep.

I've a similar "policy"... I wont start a new console if I don't finish the one I'm currently playing (unless I know I need a break from the game and wont be playing it for months)...
Same with handhelds...

Parl

nofilter said:
If you're anything like me you'll still be awake until at least you've done the first dungeon. It's addictive...

Eh? He just said he'd play up until the end of the first dungeon, didn't he?

Sule

nofilter said:
Parl said:
Eh? He just said he'd play up until the end of the first dungeon, didn't he?

Er, no.

I don't know why but... :lol :lol :lol

With the new releases of MP3's and BWii's box art's I hope they release box art's for more games including PAL/US Phantom Hourglass. The box art is worth an import just for its self, really awesome. Slim chance it stays the same though. Would have also been cool had they released a collector's edition with world map and everything o_O NoE I'm looking at you!
NoE... :(

nofi

Parl said:

Oh right, so you know how long it'll take him to finish the first dungeon? Cool.

Tell me, I'm going to buy Harry Potter tonight, and I've got 2 hours - where will I be after that?

Seriously dude... :D

Parl

nofilter said:
Oh right, so you know how long it'll take him to finish the first dungeon? Cool.

Tell me, I'm going to buy Harry Potter tonight, and I've got 2 hours - where will I be after that?

Seriously dude... :D

Sorry, can't help ya there..

nofi

Parl said:
Sorry, can't help ya there..

Japanese isn't my first language (something of an understatement) so I reckon it was about 3 hours in before I'd finished the first proper dungeon, having to translate as I go along.

Improves my Japanese and extends the game life. Winner!

Parl

nofilter said:
Japanese isn't my first language (something of an understatement) so I reckon it was about 3 hours in before I'd finished the first proper dungeon, having to translate as I go along.

Improves my Japanese and extends the game life. Winner!

Well, I've never played it. I'm waiting for the US version so I can import it. I just heard that the dungeons are really short, so I thought I'd make a joke about it.

nofi

Parl said:
Well, I've never played it. I'm waiting for the US version so I can import it. I just heard that the dungeons are really short, so I thought I'd make a joke about it.

I knew you were joking. My Zelda fanboyism magic shield was up, though. =)

ant1532

Banned
So...

I was playing last night and.... TTHE GAME IS HELLA ****ING AWESOME!!

The thing is... I was in the first dungeon... and I....

fell asleep. When I woke up my DS died so I have to start over T_T. But yeah, back in the first dungeon right now and I'm loving the game. More impressions lata

Parl

nofilter said:
I knew you were joking. My Zelda fanboyism magic shield was up, though. =)

I'm a bit of a Zelda fanboy, but I can't say I like it as much as the typical Zelda fan. But that's probably mainly because my general interest in traditional gaming has slid a fair bit.

ant1532

Banned
Yeah, I love the JP boxart too. It actually is the thing that pushed me over the edge to get it early.

So impressions. First off. Controls. Was a little hesitant when I first heard about it and kinda hoped for a regular button option but no worries any longer. Controls fantastic. Rolling at first was like "wah?" But I found my own little way of doing it which works for me every time (Making lines back and forth at the end of the screen) So rolling isn't a problem. The only thing I feel is a little buggy on the controls is the Sword spin. It doesn't seem to react fast enough right now but I have been seeing improvement with it as I keep on using it. Oh yeah in keep in my my screen is a little messed up on calibration(won't fix.)

I've only played through mini dungeons so I haven't seen many puzzles yet. Although I'll admit in the first one I was somewhat stumped and I couldn't figure out the box and rat thing. I put it over the hole and I still couldn't get him for about a half an hour. Thats when I fell asleep lol. And for the boat. When I saw in the videos before the game came out that there was no more sailing but now a boat I was very disappointed since my favorite aspect of Wind Waker is freedom sailing and finding islands and ect. So drawing a line to an island and having little control didn't ring to well with me. Luckily they somehow managed to capture the giant ocean and little islands to explore feel even with the boat and the limitations of DS. I couldn't believe how well it looked, riding by islands, moving the camera around you with the stylus. Very fluid and cool. So yeah, might not be solo sailing but definitely pretty awesome.

Sound. So far the sound is pretty damn good and has all the Zelda sounds you would expect plus Navi's "Hey!" from OoT :lol. But that's not talking about Music. So far the music has been good for the islands and sailing but in the mini dungeons the tune they play is kinda boring but I haven't been to a real dungeon yet so hopefully it gets better.

I think thats it for now. I can take pics with my camera while playing, but I'm not sure if anyone would want too since there seems to be a lot of coverage going on.

ant1532 said:
Haven't posted in this thread in a while because... My game came in a couple days ago!! :D

I know what you mean, brother.

Well, less that I only play one game primarily at a time - more that during a heated scene in PW, I'll stay up all night to complete it.

mugwhump

TSA said:
Oh yeah, I've been getting a bunch of questions (mainly on my site) about the clarification of "2D" mechanics.

Because of the fixed camera in PH, much of the game feels like a 2D Zelda. However, I (think I) said that is more like 2.5D somewhere. That's because some puzzle solving/moving does go beyond an X and Y axis range. For example, a non-spoiler example would be a switch you have to hit is in the same room, but "above" you. So you have to scale some steps to get that high and hit it. So it gives the illusion of movement along a Z axis.
But isn't the Y axis the axis of gravity? So technically the 2d Zelda would play in the X and Z axiseses, and PH gives the illusion of movement in the Y axis. :3

masterkajo

So... my copy finally arrived and I already played a little. So far I am really impressed by the new controls. Just tap something and Link will do all kind of different actions.
Yeah right... I guess we already have enough impressions...

I do have a question though: Could someone translate this for me, please?!? (It seems I cannot come up with something that makes sense.)

中の物を勝手に持ち出さぬよろ!

I already know what to write on the board, but it would be nice to know why I am writing this :lol .

Thanks!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
masterkajo said:
So... my copy finally arrived and I already played a little. So far I am really impressed by the new controls. Just tap something and Link will do all kind of different actions.
Yeah right... I guess we already have enough impressions...

I do have a question though: Could someone translate this for me, please?!? (It seems I cannot come up with something that makes sense.)

中の物を勝手に持ち出さぬよろ!

I already know what to write on the board, but it would be nice to know why I am writing this :lol .

Thanks!

That just says don't take anything that doesn't belong to you.

masterkajo

:D That explains everything... Thanks! (Could have tried to make sense out of it for another hour without much success!!)

Top Bottom