• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Japan Time! The Official Phantom Hourglass (JP) Thread

Amir0x

Banned
PolyGone said:
wow at that first link. I wonder if Amirox still thinks this game is "fugly ds 3d"? :) looks great to me, like a console production almost. God, I want this game!

Yes, I think it's quite atrocious. But you don't need me to tell you that - so you shouldn't have brought my name up!

That said, it's Zelda and it has dungeons that are probably well designed so I'll get over the horrific pixelation and super low poly environments and characters I'm sure. I just hope that this game means we get a cel-shaded Wii Zelda, so we can get this sort of thing in its proper graphical glory. From impressions, the game sounds nice but I'll see when I get my hands on it.

nofi

Amir0x said:
Yes, I think it's quite atrocious. But you don't need me to tell you that - so you shouldn't have brought my name up!

That said, it's Zelda and it has dungeons that are probably well designed so I'll get over the horrific pixelation and super low poly environments and characters I'm sure. I just hope that this game means we get a cel-shaded Wii Zelda, so we can get this sort of thing in its proper graphical glory. From impressions, the game sounds nice but I'll see when I get my hands on it.

Actually, in-game Link looks really impressive - almost like a super detailed, 3D sprite. Yeah, the rest of the game is low-poly, but it's superbly done given the platform.

As much as I want to play this, I'm not getting any sort of special feel from it. I don't see how I could like this better than Twilight Princess or even Wind Waker for that matter.

Amir0x

Banned
nofilter said:
Actually, in-game Link looks really impressive - almost like a super detailed, 3D sprite. Yeah, the rest of the game is low-poly, but it's superbly done given the platform.

Right well, I've seen in-game Link so I'm not going to argue the point. It's just always people getting annoyed when I voice these negative opinions, but they're the first to bring my name up. They know I'm never going to like this N64 shit, so don't wonder what I'm going to think. Fill in the blanks. If it ain't 2D on DS, it's ugly.

Neo Child

Banned
Amir0x said:

Well, your kind of opposite on the ball here.

The graphics are great, add some aliasing on some parts and you have near GC levels.

Aside from that, the dungeons are very very linear, repetetive and bland, so far anyway, and im upto dungeon
. However, the master dungeon is quite cool and hard (for a Zelda game anyway, lol), im upto Basement Floor
. However, only one dungeon is like this, so unfortunately thats not your everyday dungeon.

Enjoying it so far, but seems rather empty...

Amir0x

Banned
Neo Child said:
Well, your kind of opposite on the ball here.

The graphics are great, add some aliasing on some parts and you have near GC levels.

They could add 16x AA, and it still wouldn't be near GC levels. You guys are either genuinely nuts, or simply blind. Either way, that's my last word.

Neo Child

Banned
Amir0x said:
They could add 16x AA, and it still wouldn't be near GC levels. You guys are either genuinely nuts, or simply blind. Either way, that's my last word.

You played it then? Seen the intro? I'm playing WW as we speak, and im seeing a resemblance.

rhino4evr

If the dungeons are lame, how can anyone put this above TP? Which had some of the best level design in a game. Id rather have amazing dungeons then innovative gameplay. Of course, both would be nice too. Can't wait to play this.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Neo Child said:
You played it then? Seen the intro? I'm playing WW as we speak, and im seeing a resemblance.
A resemblance? Well duh.

Minish Cap and Wind Waker share a resemblance, but there's no way in hell you can reasonably compare their graphics from a technical standpoint. A technical comparison of the graphics in Phantom Hourglass to Wind Waker is just as ridiculous.

agent069

Banned
Here's a few questions for those who have played the game :

Are the dungeon still very linear? Since Wind Waker, I think that Zelda dungeon are more and more linear, like you enter a room, there's two doors, one that's locked, and one which will lead you to the key. You have open dungeon, but in the end the progression is as linear as if it was just a corridor, does PH still feels this way?

How are the puzzles? Are most of them still the same like we've seen since ALLTP? If there's some more complex puzzles, are they also linear ?
By linear I mean the same thing that the dungeon structure above, in WW and TP it was very frustrating to see big puzzle being handled in such a linear way, the best exemple of that would be the big piece filled with mirrors in one of the last WW dungeon, it should have been a complex puzzle, but you can only push the mirror in some rails, with their final location being very apparent, in the end you just have to follow the "rails" and you solve the puzzle without ever thinking about the whole puzzle.

What about the items? Is there tons of new items? Does the touch screen make them feel originals?

How hard is the game? I don't expect a Zelda game to be as hard as Megaman or Ninja Gaiden, but TP and WW where far too easy for my tastes, is PH harder than those two games? Is that even a problem?

As you see, I'm starving for innovation in Zelda, especially for this "touch only" game, it's marketted as being very original and all, but did they succeed?

Neo Child

Banned
Scrow said:
A resemblance? Well duh.

Minish Cap and Wind Waker share a resemblance, but there's no way in hell you can reasonably compare their graphics from a technical standpoint. A technical comparison of the graphics in Phantom Hourglass to Wind Waker is just as ridiculous.

Ooh, I thought you were talking about style, not a technical comparison. Hence why I thought you were the ones blind.

Okay, sorry about that.

agent069 said:

Are the dungeon still very linear? Since Wind Waker, I think that Zelda dungeon are more and more linear, like you enter a room, there's two doors, one that's locked, and one which will lead you to the key. You have open dungeon, but in the end the progression is as linear as if it was just a corridor, does PH still feels this way?

Pretty much, they seem a little more linear at points.

How are the puzzles? Are most of them still the same like we've seen since ALLTP? If there's some more complex puzzles, are they also linear ?
By linear I mean the same thing that the dungeon structure above, in WW and TP it was very frustrating to see big puzzle being handled in such a linear way, the best exemple of that would be the big piece filled with mirrors in one of the last WW dungeon, it should have been a complex puzzle, but you can only push the mirror in some rails, with their final location being very apparent, in the end you just have to follow the "rails" and you solve the puzzle without ever thinking about the whole puzzle.

More or less, some different puzzles from the usual Zelda norm, although some using the DS in gimmicky ways, it never feels too gimmicky. It seems similar to ALTTP in the way of puzzles. I best give you an example early on:
A rat is running from two holes back and forth, carrying a key, the rat scurries back in the nearest hole if it sees you. There is a block (not on rails) near.
One of the earlier puzzles but very fun to do, though not mind boggling.

What about the items? Is there tons of new items? Does the touch screen make them feel originals?

Alright, will have to go into spoilers here. There are a total of
items. Which is a huge
dissapointment
for me.
Spoilers ahead contain names of all items.
Some items are pretty standard, e.g The arrows, the hammer, the shovel. However, some items make use of the touch screen nicely, like the boomerang, where you drag a path for it to go, this is really cool seeing it in action and you can make quite a long path. The Bombchus you draw a path on a map and they can go through small holes and hit things. The bombs are standard. Seems pretty similar so far. The rope is used for making a tightrope between two poles. The shield is a cheat item I think, it auto deflects, and you can run into any enemy at random and not get hit thanks to the shield.

How hard is the game? I don't expect a Zelda game to be as hard as Megaman or Ninja Gaiden, but TP and WW where far too easy for my tastes, is PH harder than those two games? Is that even a problem?

Erm, i guess easier than both WW + TP, though the master dungeon is particularly hard, which eclipses both TP + WW in difficulty. The enemies are also quite feirce at times, though the shield is gay.

As you see, I'm starving for innovation in Zelda, especially for this "touch only" game, it's marketted as being very original and all, but did they succeed?

The touch screen enhances weapons certainly, and each treasure finding quest is represented in a fun mini-game. Much more innovative than any recent Zelda, but it doesnt re-invent the series.

NotWii

Banned
BrandNew said:
As much as I want to play this, I'm not getting any sort of special feel from it. I don't see how I could like this better than Twilight Princess or even Wind Waker for that matter.
I didn't get any special feel til I played it :p

agent069 said:

- Dungeon progression is very linear in retrospect, only one dungeon gives you multiple paths, it's also the most challenging dungeon.
- There are classic block pushing, switch hitting puzzles which TP didn't have much of, but there's lots of new clever puzzles like TP had
- I'm not going to comment on the presence of new items, but they all feel very fresh with the touchscreen, especially one from OOT :p
- One boss felt harder than TP and I got stumped a few times at some puzzles (usually because of Japanese), I've seen the game over screen a number of times which would not happen in TWW or TP

Yes, PH is very innovative, it easilly makes the best use of the DS, and is very accessible.
With the runaway sucess of the DS, I hope this Zelda sells well in Japan, it deserves it.

Are the dungeon still very linear?
Yes, this has the most linear dungeons I have ever seen. And you'll hate the Hourglass Dungeon because you get to go through EVERY ROOM (almost) every damn time you have to go back into it.

How are the puzzles?
I found myself more challenged by puzzles in Phantom Hourglass than in Twilight Princess. But I mean, it's either carrying an object around, pushing blocks, bombing walls, activating switches with items or in certain orders, or killing enemies to reveal keys. There are a FEW "unique" puzzles, but I wouldn't say they're all in the dungeons. There's a few things that will trip you up because you forget this is a DS game using all-stylus...so there were a few good puzzles here and there, but overall besides Japanese language barrier, it wasn't that challenging.

This gets into spoilers, but for the first half of the game, don't expect to be wowed at all. Shovel. Bombs. Bow and arrows. Boomerang. It's more a focus on "how you can control these items with the stylus" rather than "new, unique items". Though...

How hard is the game?
Well, here we go again with it not being hard in terms of battles. Actually, on the sea, if you don't pay attention, you can get a game over real fast. Other than that, there are a PLETHORA of hearts around in pots or drops from enemies. I forsee many deaths due to stylus input mistakes, though, rather than difficulty from enemies. Bosses were a joke. Well, there was one that suffered from the same damn thing as Twilight Princess with its final boss - volleying "energy balls". In Phantom Hourglass, one boss has this, and you can't "tap" the energy ball to hit it like other enemies, you have to "swipe". Registering swipes isn't as "accurate" as touted, and I got rather annoyed quickly. Same with Wii version of TP during the final boss fight with the same enemy strategy. Final boss put up a bit of a fight, but sadly, the game's difficulty came from not knowing Japanese. In English, this game would be a joke. It's obviously watered down for a broader audience.

Bottom line really, it's 2D Zelda with "touch" controls, and a "new" way to play Zelda - moreso than Wii Twilight Princess, but it did very little in terms of addressing the issues of the Zelda franchise in terms of "innovating" the concept. Nintendo keeps thinking of "innovating" the gameplay experience. But Phantom Hourglass hits very high notes in some places. I just wish I could understand the story. As such, I'm gonna abstain from a review until I can play it in English...it'd be way too unfair to judge this game without the full experience. So I guess in the end I'm just going to write up final thoughts. Maybe Nintendo will listen and adjust some of the things I will complain about...

NotWii

Banned
rhino4evr said:
If the dungeons are lame, how can anyone put this above TP? Which had some of the best level design in a game. Id rather have amazing dungeons then innovative gameplay. Of course, both would be nice too. Can't wait to play this.
I guess you're addressing me :p

I don't think the dungeons are lame, I think they're great for what they are, short little dungeons with clever puzzles.

TP's dungeons were awesome, but it lacks everywhere else.
PH doesn't feel so lacking, so I put PH above TP.
Of course this is just my opinion.

NotWii

Banned
BrandNew said:
The dungeon music sounds awful.
I agree, the dungeon music is ass, there's only like 3 original tracks in the game I liked.
Everything else is remixed from past Zelda games.

Music was the one thing I worried about from videos of PH, and I was right to worry :lol

bluemax

Banned
Why are people asking about the difficulty in a Zelda game? Outside of the stupid cheap difficulty of Zelda 2 has there ever been a difficult entry in the series? I mean yeah Zelda 1 seemed hard to me the first time but that is because I was like 7 and the game was a new experience to me. Now its not hard at all.

The game was sweet, but waaay to short. I guess its length is decent for handheld standards. I don't agree with those who say this is better that TP or even TWW.

rhino4evr

don;t understand why everyone was so disappointed in TP. Expectations TOO (OOT) high? Most likely. I still think Wind Waker was a much bigger disappointment, but still a great game. Too few dungeons, and way too much time sailing around (slowly). Of course my favorite part of Zelda games are the dungeons, which TP has no match. Im looking forward to this one, but im not getting my hopes up if the dungeons are short and simple.

NotWii

Banned
rhino4evr said:
don;t understand why everyone was so disappointed in TP. Expectations TOO (OOT) high? Most likely.
Yes, especially when Nintendo says it's better than OOT.
It wasn't dark (The Shadow Temple alone is scarier than all of TP's darkness) or even 60 hours like they said >:O

I can go on for hours about how TP did not deliver.

Wii said:
Yes, especially when Nintendo says it's better than OOT.
It wasn't dark (The Shadow Temple alone is scarier than all of TP's darkness) or even 60 hours like they said >:O

I can go on for hours about how TP did not deliver.

TP thread beckons you.

SantaC

Well I could go on as well how TP disappointed me, but this isn't the thread I guess. PH looks awesome and makes me excited over zelda again.

jvalioli

Operations said:
The game was sweet, but waaay to short. I guess its length is decent for handheld standards. I don't agree with those who say this is better that TP or even TWW.
I'm sure it has been said a thousand times already, but how long did it take you?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The dungeons are great, you people are crazy.

p.s. I wouldn't really rely on the opinions of people who didn't know what the **** was said in the game most of the time.

Operations said:

That implies that TP > TWW.

sp0rsk said:

p.s. I wouldn't really rely on the opinions of people who didn't know what the **** was said in the game most of the time.

So some Q's...

1. What score is it to you?
2. How's the plot?
3. Any touch complaints?
4. What's the name of that pirate on the box art? It's been driving me crazy.

I'm sorry, but from watching a couple vids, a lot about the dungeons turn me off. Shitty music, uninspired design, visually, and just all-around boredom I feel when I watch some of them.

I don't know, it still looks fun and I know I'll enjoy it when it releases in the States, but I honestly can't find much to get excited over like I did with Twilight Princess or even the Minish Cap.

sprsk

A Link to the Snitch said:
That implies that TP > TWW.

So some Q's...

1. What score is it to you?
2. How's the plot?
3. Any touch complaints?
4. What's the name of that pirate on the box art? It's been driving me crazy.

1. 10
2. So far the pacing of the story is pretty much the same as all zelda games, but to be honest with you it's more about the characters than the story, and I find all of the characters very likable.
3. None
4. Lineback

sp0rsk said:
1. 10
2. So far the pacing of the story is pretty much the same as all zelda games, but to be honest with you it's more about the characters than the story, and I find all of the characters very likable.
3. None
4. Lineback

1. Awesome
2. Awesome
3. Awesome
4. AWESOME THANKS

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I have to say that I'm not really into most of the game's music; it feels like it's just "there," but so far I think Phantom Hourglass is a great game. I don't know if it's better than Zelda Minish Cap (I got stuck early on on some mountains trying to find a blacksmith, IIRC), since I have played so little of it, and it's definitely NOT as good as the almighty Link's Awakening, but I doubt anyone will be disappointed by this game. It's all-around excellent.

NotWii

Banned
sp0rsk said:
I'll laugh if your impressions line up with mine, so far they seem to be :p

Cruceh

Banned
sp0rsk said:
1. 10
3. None
4. Lineback
Is it really the english name? I read it as Reinbach.

tnw

Banned
Cruceh said:
Is it really the english name? I read it as Reinbach.

Sounds like it would Reinbeck. bach would be バハ

But what do I know, I've only played the demo.

CoolTrick

Banned
items. Which is a huge
dissapointment
for

I'm actually relieved about this. I never had issues with the # of items in a Zelda game until
TP, where youre handed one every dungeon and most become useless. Fewer but more widely used items are the way to go.

Cruceh

Banned
tnw said:
Sounds like it would Reinbeck. bach would be バハ

But what do I know, I've only played the demo.
Interesting. I thought bach sounded like back in english. Oh well, nevermind then. Was hoping he would secretly be German. xD

sp0rsk said:

Yes, since the dungeons are so story-intensive and require a deep knowledge of the Japanese language to fully appreciate...

No offense, except for lame "list" puzzles, no Japanese understanding has ever been needed to beat a single Zelda game that was in Japanese first for a non-Japanese speaking player. And if you can't pick up on the basic story from the visuals, which is how "good" storytelling is done, then the game's story is going to suck anyway (not saying PH's story sucks, I'm saying I got it enough without knowing what was being said).

I wanted to add that I like this style of Zelda game because it is more 2D in mechanics, as I said before, but I think this is the last time I want to go sailing/traveling via the ocean. I really got bored of the boat segments after the third dungeon.

tnw

Banned
Cruceh said:
Interesting. I thought bach sounded like back in english. Oh well, nevermind then. Was hoping he would secretly be German. xD

Bach sounds like Bahchhhh in English. there is no flemmy 'ch' sound in Japanese, so they usually katakana-ize as a 'h' kana. Munich (Munchen in german) is written ムンヘン for example.

But Tina equals Terra in the world of localization, so you can have Reinbach if you want to.

At least until the English version comes out.

Cruceh

Banned
tnw said:
Bach sounds like Bahchhhh in English. there is no flemmy 'ch' sound in Japanese, so they usually katakana-ize as a 'h' kana. Munich (Munchen in german) is written ムンヘン for example.

But Tina equals Terra in the world of localization, so you can have Reinbach if you want to.

At least until the English version comes out.
Ah, thanks. My Japanese is lacking.

sprsk

TSA said:
Yes, since the dungeons are so story-intensive and require a deep knowledge of the Japanese language to fully appreciate...

No offense, except for lame "list" puzzles, no Japanese understanding has ever been needed to beat a single Zelda game that was in Japanese first for a non-Japanese speaking player. And if you can't pick up on the basic story from the visuals, which is how "good" storytelling is done, then the game's story is going to suck anyway (not saying PH's story sucks, I'm saying I got it enough without knowing what was being said).

I wanted to add that I like this style of Zelda game because it is more 2D in mechanics, as I said before, but I think this is the last time I want to go sailing/traveling via the ocean. I really got bored of the boat segments after the third dungeon.

There are tons of puzzles in this game that rely on being able to read Japanese, in and out of dungeons. And they aren't "lists" I don't even know wtf you mean by that.

What's great about this game actually is that even though dungeons are short, the puzzles outside of dungeons are just as awesome.

As for lineback/reinback. For some reason I just liken his name to the American Football position "Linebacker". Reinback sounds more like an actual name I guess.

Stuneseht

i seriously would like to know, what zelda games you guys are comparing this to.
In my opinion, given the fact that it is a sequel to the windwaker, phantom hourglass cannot be compared to it nor any console zelda games- it is a portable game.
many individuals compare all the console 3d Zelda games to ocarina of time, in the same token, ocarina of time was the first 3d zelda game, it brought alot to the series- nothing can really out do it.
To be fair, phantom hourglass should be compared to links awakening- the first portable zelda game. If you pay close attention to the entire game, in my opinion, phantom hourglass almost pays homage to links awakening.
yeah some of the puzzles may have been a little easy, but remember, alot of us are seasoned zelda players.
phantom hourglass is a good adventure game that shouldn't be looked over by any zelda fan.

sp0rsk said:
As for lineback/reinback. For some reason I just liken his name to the American Football position "Linebacker". Reinback sounds more like an actual name I guess.

I made that connection too, but I think that Lineback sounds more piratey than Reinback.

ghibli99

Just wanted to say to the OP, nice post. I just skimmed it since I don't want to know too much about this game before I play it this fall. Great work!

TSA said:
Are the dungeon still very linear?
Yes, this has the most linear dungeons I have ever seen. And you'll hate the Hourglass Dungeon because you get to go through EVERY ROOM (almost) every damn time you have to go back into it.

How are the puzzles?
I found myself more challenged by puzzles in Phantom Hourglass than in Twilight Princess. But I mean, it's either carrying an object around, pushing blocks, bombing walls, activating switches with items or in certain orders, or killing enemies to reveal keys. There are a FEW "unique" puzzles, but I wouldn't say they're all in the dungeons. There's a few things that will trip you up because you forget this is a DS game using all-stylus...so there were a few good puzzles here and there, but overall besides Japanese language barrier, it wasn't that challenging.

This gets into spoilers, but for the first half of the game, don't expect to be wowed at all. Shovel. Bombs. Bow and arrows. Boomerang. It's more a focus on "how you can control these items with the stylus" rather than "new, unique items". Though...

How hard is the game?
Well, here we go again with it not being hard in terms of battles. Actually, on the sea, if you don't pay attention, you can get a game over real fast. Other than that, there are a PLETHORA of hearts around in pots or drops from enemies. I forsee many deaths due to stylus input mistakes, though, rather than difficulty from enemies. Bosses were a joke. Well, there was one that suffered from the same damn thing as Twilight Princess with its final boss - volleying "energy balls". In Phantom Hourglass, one boss has this, and you can't "tap" the energy ball to hit it like other enemies, you have to "swipe". Registering swipes isn't as "accurate" as touted, and I got rather annoyed quickly. Same with Wii version of TP during the final boss fight with the same enemy strategy. Final boss put up a bit of a fight, but sadly, the game's difficulty came from not knowing Japanese. In English, this game would be a joke. It's obviously watered down for a broader audience.

Bottom line really, it's 2D Zelda with "touch" controls, and a "new" way to play Zelda - moreso than Wii Twilight Princess, but it did very little in terms of addressing the issues of the Zelda franchise in terms of "innovating" the concept. Nintendo keeps thinking of "innovating" the gameplay experience. But Phantom Hourglass hits very high notes in some places. I just wish I could understand the story. As such, I'm gonna abstain from a review until I can play it in English...it'd be way too unfair to judge this game without the full experience. So I guess in the end I'm just going to write up final thoughts. Maybe Nintendo will listen and adjust some of the things I will complain about...

TSA, the problem is that Nintendo EAD, even if they are one of the best team of development in the world, are conditionnned by all past Zeldas titles they developed.
In other words, they cannot see the Zelda's series from another point of view: that's why I INSIST that someone else should develop the next Zelda.

Another studio could surprises us, exactly like Rareware with Donkey Kong or Retro with Metroid. Change is good and I don't think EAD can do this change.
But remember: this doesn't mean that the quality is bad: the exact opposite ! What I mean is that the Zelda series need fresh ideas from different people !

PolyGone

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
TSA, the problem is that Nintendo EAD, even if they are one of the best team of development in the world, are conditionnned by all past Zeldas titles they developed.
In other words, they cannot see the Zelda's series from another point of view: that's why I INSIST that someone else should develop the next Zelda.

Another studio could surprises us, exactly like Rareware with Donkey Kong or Retro with Metroid. Change is good and I don't think EAD can do this change.
But remember: this doesn't mean that the quality is bad: the exact opposite ! What I mean is that the Zelda series need fresh ideas from different people !

I liked Capcom's (flagship?) take on the series, though they weren't quite as good as the Zeldas of old...

Top Bottom