• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Japan Time! The Official Phantom Hourglass (JP) Thread

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
duckroll said:
So I was flipping through the manual and looking at the complete credits to the game. The director Daiki Iwamoto was a programmer on the GBA LttP, cinematic director of OoT and the boss battle director of Four Swords. The sub director Hidemaro Fujibayashi is also director on the GBA LttP, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages and Minish Cap. :D

Ho--- that's pretty interesting.

To those that have been playing for a while give a percentage or something on how much of the game feels like a classic 2D style Zelda and how much of it feels like a console 3D version.

Stuneseht

in my opinion, the majority of the game feels like classic 2d Zelda. The only 3d Zelda that I'm reminded of is when you are sailing with your boat. Percentage wise: 85% classic 2d feeling, and 15% 3d feel.

homez99

Stuneseht said:
in my opinion, the majority of the game feels like classic 2d Zelda. The only 3d Zelda that I'm reminded of is when you are sailing with your boat. Percentage wise: 85% classic 2d feeling, and 15% 3d feel.

I would 2nd that, but some of the boss battles may give you a few surprises so roughly 70% 2D and 30% 3D, especially when you include the fanciful visual effects and cutscenes, which absolutely blew my expectations away.

Jackano

duckroll said:
So I was flipping through the manual and looking at the complete credits to the game. The director Daiki Iwamoto was a programmer on the GBA LttP, cinematic director of OoT and the boss battle director of Four Swords. The sub director Hidemaro Fujibayashi is also director on the GBA LttP, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages and Minish Cap. :D

Somenone need to contribute at gamefaqs.

Otherwise, do you have some composers info?

Gamefaqs has been shitting out on me anyway. Everytime I try and click and the three or four largest faqs/walkthroughs for a game, they never load up. So I have to resort to some pretty shitty ones.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
sp0rsk said:
It has to do with both. I never said it had anything to do with the controls.

Oh, my bad then.

Scrow said:
you could just wait, buy the game, play it, and find out for yourself.

NEVAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

duckroll said:
The director Daiki Iwamoto was a programmer on the GBA LttP, cinematic assistant director of OoT and the boss battle director of Four Swords.

Fixed.

duckroll

So I'm at the 2nd dungeon now. Great game. The graphics are really, really good and so far the vibes I'm feeling based on story, gameplay and presentation is....

LttP:LA::WW:pH

That's great because LA is my favorite Zelda and I actually liked WW dispite it's shortcomings. :D

Tristam

sp0rsk said:
Yup. In my opinion, this isn't just a watershed moment for DS game design, but it's also the kick in the ass the Zelda series has needed. Playing this has given me a lot of hope for the actual Wii version of Zelda. All the stuff you do with the map, taking notes, this is where it's at.

How much input did Aonuma have in this game? It seems so different than the console Zeldas. It has a lot of non-game inspired moments which makes me think this was headed by one of the younger guys.

TP was really a big disappointment for me. The main reason was because it was more of the same. This game is so much more creative and fresh.

Dammit I need to buy a DS! This game looks so cool. I agree that Twilight Princess was a big disappointment, and I hope the Wii Zelda is just as creative and "at home" on its platform as Phantom Hourglass appears to be.

AniHawk

elostyle said:
Copy/paste please.

I'll write up a full preview in a few days, but I just had to express my amazement. The DS has already developed such a great library, and that this raises the bar even further, etc. etc. Nintendo, you magnificent bastards.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
elostyle said:
Copy/paste please.

Okay.

Jeremy Parish said:
I guess it's my own fault that I'm surprised; for some reason I had it in my mind that it would be more akin to Four Swords -- you know, charming but shallow and broken into bite-sized chunks. Wrong! It's actually a full-fledged Zelda game, with actual dungeons and puzzle solving and lots of NPCs to talk to and obstacles to surmount in order to open up new areas. In fact, there might actually be a little too much talking; this is not an import-friendly game, because you have to be able to solve light riddles in order to progress.

The important thing, though, is that the new interface works perfectly even within the context of this game. It felt fine when I tried it out last year before E3, but in that time they've seriously refined it in small, subtle ways so that it feels almost perfect. Almost, mind you. Sword slashes and rolling attacks still feel a little clumsy, but the basics are impeccable. Running with the stylus makes the simple act of moving around more engaging, because feels incredibly fluid and forces you to be more mindful of potential hazards; drawing on maps is genius; and plotting a path for the boomerang is much more effective and satisfying than dropping into a first-person perspective. Oh, and also, the graphics look really great for DS, but I suppose that was a given.

I'll write up a full preview in a few days, but I just had to express my amazement. The DS has already developed such a great library, and that this raises the bar even further, etc. etc. Nintendo, you magnificent bastards.

Frothing demand... increasing...

Zeed

Banned
Seeing as how this has already been pretty much confirmed to be awesome, I just have one question for anyone who's already beaten the game (or spoiled themselves to the ending):

Does the ending leave the possibility open (or even likely) for another sequel like Wind Waker did?

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
After this and Etrian Odyseey any rpg without the ability to draw on or create your maps is going to feel pretty lame.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I also have a question to the one who have completed the game or nearly completed it. Besides difficulties caused by the language how does the degree of difficulty compare to other Zelda games?

Neo Child

Banned
Yoshi said:
I also have a question to the one who have completed the game or nearly completed it. Besides difficulties caused by the language how does the degree of difficulty compare to other Zelda games?

Outside dungeon puzzles are kind of easy, some are cool though, there is an
X-marks the spot
puzzle.

Dungeons 1+2 are quite simple and easy, but dungeon 3 ramps up the difficulty significantly, by placing a load of enemies at you which require you to run like mad and use items quickly, similar to ALTTP. The puzzles also are harder than dungeon 1 and 2, but not hard as such. Puzzles aren't too tricky and basic enemies take off 1/2 heart. Dungeon 3 enemies mainly take up 1 heart, so the enemies are a bit crueler than TP/WW.

Stuneseht

the difficulty hikes at certain puzzles within the different dungeons; but overall it feels as difficult as the oracle games for gbc. Some puzzle even use some ds features very uniquely-it almost feels gimmicky but acceptable in my opinion.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Thank you :). Around the level of the Oracle games sounds ok for me :).

I had a real feeling this would be like LA. There are certain similarities that lead me to believe this -

- only other Nintendo developed handheld Zelda game

- like LA, it's a real sequel to a previous-generation Zelda game

I'm happy to hear this, as LA is one of my favorite Zelda's. Though I wonder... if Nintendo makes another DS Zelda, will it be another sequel to WW? Or better yet... a sequel to TP? :D

arab

it's like the features of LA and OoT mixed with WW art style

like in 3d zelda games, you can jump across ledges by moving off them

<3 i never doubted my baby nintendo

Stuneseht

Just beat the game!! This is by far, in my opinion, the best Zelda game I've ever played. Can't wait to play it in English- just to beat it again, and can't wait to see what Nintendo does next with wind waker style Zelda. I almost want to say, this is how Wind waker should have been.

Note to Nintendo: keep the realistic style for Wii, and the cell shaded style for the DS.

Stuneseht

it took quite some time with the language barrier; but in all honesty, as long as the original wind waker. Just imagine more dungeons, rather than triforce hunting.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Stuneseht said:
it took quite some time with the language barrier; but in all honesty, as long as the original wind waker. Just imagine more dungeons, rather than triforce hunting.

YES!

ant1532

Banned
Wow. **** Yesasia up the ass.

My status on my preorder that was supposed to ship today and I paid for the fastest shipping just went to this status.

Searching from Suppliers : We are currently sourcing your ordered item(s) from local and overseas suppliers.

Stuneseht said:
Just beat the game!! This is by far, in my opinion, the best Zelda game I've ever played. Can't wait to play it in English- just to beat it again, and can't wait to see what Nintendo does next with wind waker style Zelda. I almost want to say, this is how Wind waker should have been.

Note to Nintendo: keep the realistic style for Wii, and the cell shaded style for the DS.

Does metroid appear in the game has been hinted?

Stuneseht

I didn't see it; then again, i didn't search every nook and cranny of the game.
Trust me, once you play it, metroid will be very far from your mind.

Stuneseht said:
I didn't see it; then again, i didn't search every nook and cranny of the game.
Trust me, once you play it, metroid will be very far from your mind.

Yeah i know but i found that pic of the island to be extremely familiar and TSA hinted that it was really something metroid related.....

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Bluemercury said:
Yeah i know but i found that pic of the island to be extremely familiar and TSA hinted that it was really something metroid related.....

It was a joke.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Bluemercury said:
Does metroid appear in the game has been hinted?
:lol

It's an island shaped like a Metroid, and it's only a stretch

MetroidIsland.jpg

I wanted to point out one issue I keep having. When a rupee or heart is along a wall (near the edge of the screen) or on a ledge, I find it hard to pick it up quickly. I have to take longer than I want to make Link walk very slowly, and in particular with the along the wall ones, I have no choice.

It's a minor thing, but still got on my nerves a bit.

While this game is 3D, I found most of the game to be more rooted in 2D Zelda mechanics, which is something I prefer over the 3D games. It was more like 2.5D. The fixed camera never bothered me because it felt like playing a 2D Zelda, which was natural. Yeah, in fact, I really think this was just a 2D Zelda game with 3D graphics slapped on.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
TSA said:
I wanted to point out one issue I keep having. When a rupee or heart is along a wall (near the edge of the screen) or on a ledge, I find it hard to pick it up quickly. I have to take longer than I want to make Link walk very slowly, and in particular with the along the wall ones, I have no choice.

It's a minor thing, but still got on my nerves a bit.

Boomerang says hello.

Top Bottom