• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Japan Time! The Official Phantom Hourglass (JP) Thread

Brofist

Souldriver said:
So, does this game use no buttons at all. Everything is touch screen? Even in the menu's and stuff? If so, that would be awsome.

seems so from my experience with the demo

ant1532

Banned
Souldriver said:
So, does this game use no buttons at all. Everything is touch screen? Even in the menu's and stuff? If so, that would be awsome.
Yep.
AdmiralViscen said:
This game looks awesome.

Why would Tetra still exist if this takes place after WW?
Did you beat WW?

Jammy

Banned
That trailer was O_O worthy. It's amazing how much power that little DS has packed into it. This is easily one of the best looking DS games yet. I wish western developers would at least try half as hard as that.

I loved The Wind Waker's theme, music, and style and I'm glad that Nintendo's decided to make a proper sequel to it, even if it won't be on a console.

That trailer was very reassuring. I know people complain about stylus-only controls, but a couple things caught my eye that made me a believer. For one, the boomerang has a set path now determined by what you drew. That means no more boomerang bumping into obstacles you couldn't see and having it come back to you. Also, (and this really made me excited), thrown bombs go EXACTLY where you tap. There's been many, many, many, many times in a Zelda game where I've been too close to my cracked wall or rock and have had my thrown bomb bounce off and explode a couple feet away, not even cracking my target open. And sometimes you need to be facing the exact proper direction for your aim to be true. With this you can just tap the target and the bomb will bounce to it without worries.

ant1532

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
4 years ago, yes. Aren't
Link and Zelda supposed to go off and found a new Hyrule?
Well first off you don't have to use spoilers for a 4 year old game lol.

And at the end The king of Hyrule stays with it as the water floods it again and Link and Zelda go up in their bubble to the surface(where the whole game took place) and Zelda turns back into her normal form Tetra(or just dresses like that idremember) and then at the end Link goes off with Tetra on the pirate ship on a new adventure(Phantom Hourglass).

rdellw

ksamedi said:
The Wiis strength is the pointer and motion sensors.
Yeah, but then would they really make a console Zelda 2D? I'm thinking Nunchuck to control Link and the Wii Remote used in a totally wtf but awesome way, however, thats for another thread. ;P

I was about to import this, but it seems there will be a strong language barrier and asking for help on a message for a puzzle will ruin it imo.

Sule

ant1532 said:
Well first off you don't have to use spoilers for a 4 year old game lol.

If it isn't too much trouble please do use them.

Well at least there is confirmation that the demo was released plus a day one buy so it can't be that bad. But the lack of hype from people who have played it has me worried. Or it could just be that Japanese GAFfers don't have DS'es.

ethelred

Error said:
that trailer is amazing.

It really, really is. I feel like we're so fortunate to be getting a sequel to Wind Waker -- I never would've imagined we actually would. This game's going to be awesome.

masterkajo

I was wondering if the demo of Phantom Hourglass (I am assuming there is one since some people talked about it here) is obtainable via the internet. I would really love to play the demo.
I do have the right W-Lan card in my notebook, so I would be able to download it to my DS.

:D

Anyone any information about it?

Ramenman

masterkajo said:
I was wondering if the demo of Phantom Hourglass (I am assuming there is one since some people talked about it here) is obtainable via the internet. I would really love to play the demo.
I do have the right W-Lan card in my notebook, so I would be able to download it to my DS.

:D

Anyone any information about it?

I'm waiting for it too...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sule said:
If it isn't too much trouble please do use them.

Well at least there is confirmation that the demo was released plus a day one buy so it can't be that bad. But the lack of hype from people who have played it has me worried. Or it could just be that Japanese GAFfers don't have DS'es.

No, they all play RPGs on their PS2s.
prove me wrong? I want impressions, too

sphinx

the piano man
ant1532 said:
You HAD TO play by yourself to think this. You HAD TO. I had a ****ing blast playing FS Gamecube with 3 friends. There is no way you can come to what you said and had played with 4 people. No way. I don't buy it. I don't care what you said but saying that gives it away.

That game was ****ing awesome and playing solo was not the way the game was made and I can understand the complaining if so but 4 player co-op? No way.

I played with a friend like 3 times, that makes it a multiplayer experience ( 2 player but still) me and my friend we both came to the conclusion that the game did away with everything that made Zelda interesting:

1.-Dungeons were crappy.
2.-Exchangable items, nothing special about them, very few of them, not fun to use at all.
3.- Container Hearts, you lose them at the end of each level. thanks for taking the joy of finding one away from me.
4.- Looks terrible. It is the worst looking Zelda of all. Like I said, it's like a gimped Link to the past, mixed with Minish Cap and a little wind waker stuff in explosions and effects all thrown together in a blend of awful looking scenarios.

Wii said:
Four Swords is fun with 4 people, but not in the Zelda way.
It was fun to throw friends into pits and purposely hindering progress :lol

I like FS as a game, but not as a Zelda game.

Bingo.

While I understand many of you had fun, a blast with 4-p multiplayer, the game does away with everything zelda-worthy and brings a multiplayer game which might be fun but NOWHERE on the same league of quality of the other zelda games. I don't care how much you say multiplayer is great, the game is not on the quality level of any, not a single zelda game since LoZ in 1986 (CDi games apart).

I cant wait for my import copy to come, im gonna take it as soon as its dropped off at my door to avoid someone else stealing one of my packages again, bastard kids taking my japanese Saturn...

PolyGone

Banned
sphinx said:
blah blah excuses excuses

did you play Four Swords on the GBA version of A Link to the Past? Because that game kicks some serious ass, and maybe you should clarify which version you think is terrible before bashing Four Swords as a whole.

sphinx

the piano man
PolyGone said:
did you play Four Swords on the GBA version of A Link to the Past? Because that game kicks some serious ass, and maybe you should clarify which version you think is terrible before bashing Four Swords as a whole.

first of all WTF at the " ...blah blah excuses excuses... " ? I don't need excuses. I am telling you what I think of FS.

if the game REQUIRES 4 people with free time to spear at the same time, 4 gamesboys, and 4 freaking cables to be a blast, something is really screwed with the game. It was an experiment and it sucked. I am not going to argue if other gaffers had fun with it, that's their thing but I do claim the game is a " (fun) 4p Multiplayer game" with a " Legend of Zelda " label tacked on.

I for one think is not fair for the franchise that such a low quality game, (AS A ZELDA GAME NOT AS A MULTIPLAYER EXPERIENCE) bear that name.

ethelred

I was playing Metroid Prime Pinball the other day when it occurred to me that Metroid Prime Pinball doesn't have any of the elements that make for a proper Metroid experience.

sphinx

the piano man
ethelred said:
I was playing Metroid Prime Pinball the other day when it occurred to me that Metroid Prime Pinball doesn't have any of the elements that make for a proper Metroid experience.

We can keep discussing FS but I think TSA made a nice job making this official thread, let's not derail it any further and let it be.

you can open a " FS adventures appreciation thread " if you like, I would definitely participate.

NotWii

Banned
sphinx said:
We can keep discussing FS but I think TSA made a nice job making this official thread, let's not derail it any further and let it be.
I think it's legitimate discussion, after all the FS team is doing Phantom and Phantom includes a gimmick FS multiplayer mode.

Collect the triforce shard, how interesting! :/
They should include it in Zelda Party 8

ethelred said:
Apples and Oranges, since Metroid Pinball is just a pinball game, while Four Swords is trying to convey the Zelda experience but in four player.
However both Four Swords and Metroid Pinball/Metroid Hunters have cheapened both the Zelda and Metroid franchises.

Brak

I am still shocked at how gorgeous this game is. How the **** are they getting the DS to pump out a game that almost looks as good as Wind Waker. Mind-boggling.

I'm starting to warm up to the touch controls too. They looked really smooth in the new trailer.

MASSIVE HYPE!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The graphics in that stone golem boss encounter = :eek: :O :eek:

Wii said:
while Four Swords is trying to convey the Zelda experience but in four player.

That's pretty silly. Four Swords was never meant to be anything more than a basic coop/competitive multiplayer experience. Clearly it wasn't trying to recreate in complete fashion the more epic Zelda formula.

Johnas

Brak said:
I am still shocked at how gorgeous this game is. How the **** are they getting the DS to pump out a game that almost looks as good as Wind Waker. Mind-boggling.

I'm starting to warm up to the touch controls too. They looked really smooth in the new trailer.

MASSIVE HYPE!

I've finally accepted the touch controls, and I'm starting to look forward to the game more. They do look pretty smooth. I kind of wish you could use the control pad to move Link around, then the stylus for everything else, but Nintendo knows how to do controls, so I'm not worried.

I can't do it, but I wouldn't mind seeing some screens of WW and PH side-by-side for direct comparison. I mean PH looks good, and I know it's the same art style as WW obviously, but it doesn't look nearly as buttery smooth as WW does. However, I understand the limitations of the DS, and for a DS 3D game it looks impressive.

NotWii

Banned
Mejilan said:
That's pretty silly. Four Swords was never meant to be anything more than a basic coop/competitive multiplayer experience. Clearly it wasn't trying to recreate in complete fashion the more epic Zelda formula.
Yes, that's exactly the mistake :p

I'd appreciate the same gameplay in FS in something else.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wii said:
Yes, that's exactly the mistake :p

I'd appreciate the same gameplay in FS in something else.

Your earlier post made it seem like you hated it because it was trying to be a real Zelda and failing at it. That's a stupid reason to hate a game.

Not liking it due to the gameplay, however, is entirely different.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Wii said:
I think it's legitimate discussion, after all the FS team is doing Phantom and Phantom includes a gimmick FS multiplayer mode.

Collect the triforce shard, how interesting! :/
They should include it in Zelda Party 8

Oh, come on, a gimmick FS multiplayer mode? Now complaining about it would be fine if the whole game was FSish as early reports of Zelda DS suggested, but to say that bitching about FS is a legitimate discussion in a PH thread because of a tacked on multiplayer which probably has little to nothing to do with the real experience, and was probably just put on so they could have the happy blue WFC logo is moronic. PH is not FS!

Hey, let's all complain about Majora's Mask now cause PH also involves a time limit at parts of the game!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Johnas said:
I can't do it, but I wouldn't mind seeing some screens of WW and PH side-by-side for direct comparison. I mean PH looks good, and I know it's the same art style as WW obviously, but it doesn't look nearly as buttery smooth as WW does. However, I understand the limitations of the DS, and for a DS 3D game it looks impressive.

Ask and you shall receive!

news_250507_zelda5.jpg
ww_small-1.jpg

ph_small.jpg
ww1_small.jpg

screenshot_179653.jpg
ww2_small.jpg

ph1_small.jpg
ww3_small-1.jpg

That's the DS on the left and the Cube on the right, for those who can't tell. PH looks good but there's still a definite difference.

Johnas

You're awesome man.

The obvious difference is the texture work, and those WW shots look a little bit grainy (not your fault, of course). It really does show how impressive PH is.

I am really glad we're getting another Zelda in this style, not just graphically, but one with sailing to and exploring various islands. I wouldn't be very surprised to see Nintendo go this route graphically with the next few handheld Zeldas, and stick with the "realistic" style for the console titles. I'd rather this game be on Wii for graphical reasons alone (I don't think I've ever said that about any game :p) but this works.

Brak

Johnas said:
I kind of wish you could use the control pad to move Link around, then the stylus for everything else, but Nintendo knows how to do controls, so I'm not worried.
That was my initial prediction for how the game was going to work. My personal turning point was playing Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat. That game was so amazing and controlling a platformer with bongos was surprisingly easy and accurate. It just opened up my mind to totally new game ideas, and until Nintendo screws up big time I'm just going to trust them.

sphinx

the piano man
I think controls will be very similar to final fantasy III, just without the option to use the D-pad. I do think controling with the Dpad was a little more efficient than pressing with the stylus.

I just saw the trailer again and it seems that stylus directioning is more responsive in this game than in FF3, i really hope it goes well and feels absolutely natural.

I just wish this game is inspired and full of nice characters and heartfelt moments and oh, if the dragon roost Island music appears on this game, ahhh I will be the happiest of gamers.

Carlisle

I ran to my local Ito Yokado in Inuyama, Aichi upon hearing about this demo, only to find that it's not up at the Touch Try DS station :(

Is there an explanation, fellow Japan gaffers? I'm gutted :(

milanbaros

Member?
Whats with the overworld looking amazing and the dungeons still looking crappy? Its a vast improvement over the dungeon screens we got last year but the textures are still really bad.

rdellw

Help Gaffers: Should I import this? I really really really want to play it but am not sure about the language barrier. =/

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
rdellw said:
Help Gaffers: Should I import this? I really really really want to play it but am not sure about the language barrier. =/

You can count on there being a rather large language barrier.

sp0rsk said:
You can count on there being a rather large language barrier.

I actually think it will be pretty import friendly, most of the Zelda games are pretty visual on showing you what you need to do, so while you may not know what the plot is, you can get by the game just fine.

PolyGone

Banned
Linkzg said:
I actually think it will be pretty import friendly, most of the Zelda games are pretty visual on showing you what you need to do, so while you may not know what the plot is, you can get by the game just fine.

except that in this one, you apparently go into the dungeon to retrieve clues that relate to secrets on the overworld...

masterkajo

except that in this one, you apparently go into the dungeon to retrieve clues that relate to secrets on the overworld...
Right, we have seen this in the japanese TV ad.... and nothing could raise my hype more than that!!!

Well, anyway, I too think about importing since I do know a little japanese and as far as I remember I heard that you could use the stylus to click Kanji and get the Hiragana for it (I guess it's mostly for children... but might as well come in handy for importers :D )
Because with an electronic english-japanese dictionary you could at least understand some words then.

Ahh... remeber the good old times when I didn't know english and learned a lot of words by playing The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening on my GBA. ("Daddy...the witch wants a mushroom... What's a MUSHROOM?" - "Look it up, son!")

Perhaps this will improve my japanese? Or should I just wait a little while longer?

ant1532

Banned
Language barrier??? **** that, didn't stop me from importing and beating Wind Waker. (

1 week lapse.

What the **** do I have to write in Japanese at the 2nd dungeon boss door??

I'll think about my decision.

PolyGone said:

well damn, I will either have to use a guide or learn japanese quickly

SantaC

they should had localized this game the same way they did with Zelda TP...I see no reason for the most popular Zelda market to wait several months for this game.

Amir0x

Banned
Danthrax said:
Ask and you shall receive!

*image comparrison*

That's the DS on the left and the Cube on the right, for those who can't tell. PH looks good but there's still a definite difference.

oh that makes it painful, Wind Waker 3 for Wii plz :(

SantaC

Amir0x said:
oh that makes it painful, Wind Waker 3 for Wii plz :(

I sadly think Nintendo might be done with the sailing/wind waker stuff now. I'd love to see it on Wii also, but they have used the same theme 2 times now.

Top Bottom