• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Hey guys, looks like I'm gonna a have a free weekend with no plans. I'll be in Aizu, wondering if I should go back to Tokyo for a few days, maybe Nikko, or, was hoping you guys would recommend something near Aizu, that I can get to via train, that's not on my radar.

I'm totally open to anything.

Ken

My late July trip has started taking shape (somewhat)! Going to fly into Osaka and be there for 4 nights. Will be staying in the Hilton Osaka since that seems to be in the middle of stuff? So far just have Dotonburi and Shinsaibashi on the list though. Any other places to recommend checking out?

After that I'm going to Tokyo for a few days and flying out from Narita. Don't have much of a plan for that either though besides shopping. The group I'm going with wanted a hotel near Chiyoda-ku (for Akihabara I guess) though reading stories about Akihabara on GAF I'm not sure if it's worth going there these days? I personally wanted to check out Gundam Front but I'd be ok skipping it.

Haven't been to Japan for probably more than like 8+ years so excited to visit again. The previous trip I had only visited Hokkaido.

Easy to spend a day there? I might check it out then.

Yes, depending on what you're interested in. There's huge shopping malls there, the indoor Sega amusement park, the Miraikan science museum, the Toyota car museum (with all kinds of cars, not just Toyotas), the big Leisureland arcade, the Oedo Onsen place and various other stuff.

Ken

Yes, depending on what you're interested in. There's huge shopping malls there, the indoor Sega amusement park, the Miraikan science museum, the Toyota car museum (with all kinds of cars, not just Toyotas), the big Leisureland arcade, the Oedo Onsen place and various other stuff.

Trying to understand this map, is there a train swap at Osaki station to get on the line that goes to Odaiba? Or can I take a single train from say, Shinjuku, all the way to Tokyo Teleport.

http://www.metroeasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Rinkai-Line-Map.gif

Trying to understand this map, is there a train swap at Osaki station to get on the line that goes to Odaiba? Or can I take a single train from say, Shinjuku, all the way to Tokyo Teleport.

http://www.metroeasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Rinkai-Line-Map.gif

Depends on which train you get on :p

Some JR Saikyo line trains will run all the way to Tokyo Teleport from Shinjuku. The Rinkai Line is not owned by JR, so if you got an JR Pass, you'll have to pay extra when travelling beyond Osaki.

If you're gonna spend the whole day at Odaiba at lots of different places (especially if you're gonna go to Oedo Onsen or Miraikan) I'd recommend getting a daypass for the Yurikamome (which connects to the JR Yamanote line at Shimbashi) instead of taking the Rinkai Line, so you don't have to walk that much between the places.

Ken

Depends on which train you get on :p

Some JR Saikyo line trains will run all the way to Tokyo Teleport from Shinjuku. The Rinkai Line is not owned by JR, so if you got an JR Pass, you'll have to pay extra when travelling beyond Osaki.

If you're gonna spend the whole day at Odaiba at lots of different places (especially if you're gonna go to Oedo Onsen or Miraikan) I'd recommend getting a daypass for the Yurikamome (which connects to the JR Yamanote line at Shimbashi) instead of taking the Rinkai Line, so you don't have to walk that much between the places.

Is it easy to tell which Saikyo trains run directly there?

I'll probably try to figure out which option I do when I actually pick out where I'm staying at in Tokyo lol. Worst case I could just ask someone at the station. D:

Does the Yurikamome help if I wanted to check out Aquacity, Diver City, Palette Town and Miraiken? Can't tell where Yurikamome runs on this map or how big everything is for walking. Is it the pink line?

http://www.bigsight.jp/download/public/access_map_e_color.pdf

Is it easy to tell which Saikyo trains run directly there?

I'll probably try to figure out which option I do when I actually pick out where I'm staying at in Tokyo lol. Worst case I could just ask someone at the station. D:

Does the Yurikamome help if I wanted to check out Aquacity, Diver City, Palette Town and Miraiken? Can't tell where Yurikamome runs on this map or how big everything is for walking.

http://www.bigsight.jp/download/public/access_map_e_color.pdf

Never taken the Rinkai Line since I've always used the Yurikamome :p

But it should say if it terminates in Osaki or goes further I guess. If not then you could just go on a train, and if the last stop is Osaki, then just change trains at Osaki :p

Check the map here for the Yurikamome stops (the orange line with the station names marked in black):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3008.html

Ken

Never taken the Rinkai Line since I've always used the Yurikamome :p

But it should say if it terminates in Osaki or goes further I guess. If not then you could just go on a train, and if the last stop is Osaki, then just change trains at Osaki :p

Check the map here for the Yurikamome stops (the orange line with the station names marked in black):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3008.html

Ah ok, that does look really helpful. I'll probably go with Yurikamome then. Thanks.

I wanted to check out Odaiba to see some lowriders. Does anyone know if they only meet up on specific days?

Im also dying to see some Rockabilly dudes in Yoyogi Park. Any specific days for that?

Raw64life

Currently in Osaka. My plan was to go to Nara tomorrow just for the deer park and then go to Kyoto. The following day I'm going back to Osaka from Kyoto and hen taking the bullet train back. I had the one day pass thing I bought off japanican as part of the bullet train package and I assumed that would cover where I need to the next couple of days. It appears I was mistaken. What's my best course of action?

Im also dying to see some Rockabilly dudes in Yoyogi Park. Any specific days for that?

Sundays

Currently in Osaka. My plan was to go to Nara tomorrow just for the deer park and then go to Kyoto. The following day I'm going back to Osaka from Kyoto and hen taking the bullet train back. I had the one day pass thing I bought off japanican as part of the bullet train package and I assumed that would cover where I need to the next couple of days. It appears I was mistaken. What's my best course of action?

Use your Suica/Pasmo card to get to Nara and Kyoto by train and for taking the train back to Shin-Osaka. Get a bus pass for travel inside Kyoto.

Which trains depends on where you're staying in Osaka and Kyoto.

Raw64life

Sundays

Use your Suica/Pasmo card to get to Nara and Kyoto by train and for taking the train back to Shin-Osaka. Get a bus pass for travel inside Kyoto.

Which trains depends on where you're staying in Osaka and Kyoto.

Thanks. I think what ended up happening to me yesterday was that I tried to use the Osaka 1 day to take a train when it's only good for subways. When I ran the ticket through to get on I noticed it gave me what appeared to be an error message but the door things didn't close on me so I just went through. After I got out and tried to swipe to leave the place the door things did stop me. The station attendant saw that I was confused and just let me through. The benefits of being a tourist I guess lol

When I went to Odaiba, I made the mistake of walking there from Tsukiji so by the time I got there, we did Joypolis and were going to pass out. I definitely need to do it properly. The Rainbow Bridge is pretty cool though.

How many baseball games did you go to and how was the experience? I am kind of fascinated by Japanese baseball and its on my agenda when I eventually go.

I went to a Giants v. Tigers game at the Tokyo Dome back in 2014. Was pretty enjoyable, stadium is kinda "eh," very similar to the old Metrodome.

This past trip I went to three games:

Yokult Swallows v. Hiroshima Carp at Meiji Jingu Stadium - Wasn't planning on going to a game that day, but I didn't have much scheduled the first full day in Japan in case jet lag got the best of me, but I felt good so I bought tickets before the game. The seats were upper deck, last row, which gave me plenty of leg room. The stadium is old, built in the 1920s, and whatever renovations its gone through don't really modernize it all that much.

Yokohama DeNA Baystars v Hanshin Tigers at Yokohama Municipal Stadium - This stadium is kind of rough. Very cramped seating, especially for a 6'4" American. No armrests, very little legroom. Interestingly, the guy who was doing the announcements spoke entirely in English (a woman called up the players for the Tigers). What was weird was that the guy didn't sound like a native English speaker, but based on the way he pronounced player names he didn't sound like a native Japanese speaker either.

Chiba Lotte Marines v Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles at QVC Marine Stadium - Easily the nicest stadium in Japan I've been to. Comfortable seats with plenty of legroom, most food options. The game lasted just shy of 5 hours and I felt comfortable the whole time. Visually its kind of uninteresting, but enjoyed it the most. Also, I got to see former White Sox World Series winner Tadahito Iguchi win the game with a walk off hit.

I'd really like to see a game in Hiroshima. Their stadium was built relatively recently, and looks like what modern ballparks look like.

Overall the experience is very much unlikely American baseball. The cheering sections are non-stop with the chanting and you get a much larger visiting team fan presence than at US games.

I wanna go to a Giants game this weekend. Can you get tickets at the game or do you definitely need to buy in advance? If so, where's the best place to buy tickets?

Ken

Which is more recommended place to book a hotel at in Tokyo: near Akihabara/Chiyoda or Shinjuku, if I wanted to check out both places and Odaiba? Not really sure which is a better area to stay in.

Which is more recommended place to book a hotel at in Tokyo: near Akihabara/Chiyoda or Shinjuku, if I wanted to check out both places and Odaiba? Not really sure which is a better area to stay in.

If you're there for the nightlife/clubbing then Shinjuku would probably be better (but not as good as Shibuya). If not, then just go for the place you can get the best deal or where you're going to spend the most time.

KrisB

Shinjuku. Loved that area, we stayed for a few days and it's a great spot.

The train system is so great in Tokyo, unless you're planning on staying out later than they run, I would go for whatever looks best and cheapest as long as it is on the Yamanote.

I wanna go to a Giants game this weekend. Can you get tickets at the game or do you definitely need to buy in advance? If so, where's the best place to buy tickets?

Giants might be tough since they're a popular team that's more likely to sell out. But you can get tickets at Loppi machines in Lawsons. Just find the l-code and use a tutorial to get through the menus.

http://l-tike.com/guide/loppi_english.html

After you select the seats you have to put in a phone number and name (in kana).

I'm not gonna have a phone number while I'm there. Any suggestions?

I have to go to a travel agent today to buy my Japan rail pass, maybe I'll ask them if they can get me baseball and Studio Ghibli tickets.

No Japanese phone number. Can it be American ?

Yeah, I just plug in my American phone number (starting with 1+area code). Honestly, I don't think they really care or check it. The first time I used the machines when I paid at the register they asked me to sign (in kana) the receipt, but the second time they didn't bother, just gave me the tickets.

Just went over thee schedule again, and it looks like they're not playing in the Dome any of the times that I'll be in Tokyo.

There are a couple games going on in Yokohama, but I think part of the appeal for me was to check out a game at the Dome. I'm kinda torn.

Oh wait, it looks like there's a game on Monday at the Dome, it's just not the Giants. Hawks vs Marines. Might as well go to that game right? I'm also gonna assume they're not as popular as The Giants, so I can likely just get tickets at the game? I'll likely try to get the tickets as soon as possible regardless.

edit: Crap, seems to be sold out. What's the deal with scalpers? I'm assuming that's something the Japanese don't do.

There's a Dome in Hokkaido. I was considering going there for a day or two, so that would be great incentive. I'm thinking I can take a red eye from Tokyo to Hokkaido, spend a day there, see the game, and take a red eye (if possible) back to Tokyo.

What do you guys think?

There's a Dome in Hokkaido. I was considering going there for a day or two, so that would be great incentive. I'm thinking I can take a red eye from Tokyo to Hokkaido, spend a day there, see the game, and take a red eye (if possible) back to Tokyo.

What do you guys think?

Well, if you're willing to spend $150+ on flights to see a game, then sure.

Edit: Or are you talking about taking trains? There are no overnight trains running* and the trip one way is about 8.5 hours to Sapporo from Tokyo.

*With one exception that's only running infrequently, it's not covered by the JR Pass, takes 16.5 hours and good luck getting tickets, cause it's usually full.

: (

Oh well. I guess I'll consider going to a game in Yokohama.

What's the deal with scalpers? Does they even exist in Japan? I really want to go to a game at the Dome.

I'm sure scalpers exist, but couldn't help you on that front. I definitely don't think you'll see them just hawking tickets outside the stadium since the area around the Dome is like a touristy place/mini-amusement park and there's a decent number of security type folks around on gameday.

Top Bottom