• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

There wasn't really anything available early April when I booked. Would that be for the same reason or is that people trying to get there during the sakura bloom?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
If you want to stay at a place with a legit onsen while in Kyoto then you need to stay at a place in Arashiyama in western Kyoto.
Thank you. We were already planning on visiting Arashiyama for the monkey park and bamboo forest, so looking for a place near location seems quite convenient.

There wasn't really anything available early April when I booked. Would that be for the same reason or is that people trying to get there during the sakura bloom?

If it were hostels/ryokans/hotels/etc and not AirBnB or similar then most likely yeah.

Thank you. We were already planning on visiting Arashiyama for the monkey park and bamboo forest, so looking for a place near location seems quite convenient.

There's only a few places though, so it's probably gonna be expensive.

Gonna be even harder to find places to stay in the future then ;P
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...-top-last-years-record-break-20-million-mark/

The estimated number of foreign visitors to Japan this year has already surpassed last year’s record 19.74 million, topping 20 million in only 10 months, the Japan Tourism Agency said Monday.

The number of visitors in the first nine months of this year was up 24.1 percent from the same period in 2015 to 17.98 million, and the total is estimated to have topped the 20 million line as of Sunday, the agency said.

The agency attributed this year’s rise generally to increased port calls by cruise ships and airlines launching new routes. Continuous tourism promotion campaigns and eased visa restrictions led to gains in visitors from Southeast Asian countries, it said.

“We have set a goal of 40 million (foreign visitors annually) in 2020 … so there are still many more things for us to do,” Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a news conference.

To help reach that goal, the government will consider further relaxing visa rules, including for Chinese, Indian and Russian nationals, while addressing a shortage of accommodations, Suga said.

The number of monthly visitors topped 2 million for the first time on record in March when many visited for the cherry blossom season. The record was then rewritten in July with nearly 2.3 million visitors.

JulianImp

Gonna be even harder to find places to stay in the future then ;P
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...-top-last-years-record-break-20-million-mark/

I wonder how AirBnB will fare in the coming years, since we got to save a whole lot of money through it compared to most other places, but if harsher regulations on room leasing were applied then it'd probably dissuade seedy practices such as people sub-leasing multiple apartments through their site, with the downside of making it harder for you to find a decent deal on it harder if you want to keep lodging costs low.

I wonder how AirBnB will fare in the coming years, since we got to save a whole lot of money through it compared to most other places, but if harsher regulations on room leasing were applied then it'd probably dissuade seedy practices such as people sub-leasing multiple apartments through their site, with the downside of making it harder for you to find a decent deal on it harder if you want to keep lodging costs low.

Well, they've relaxed some of the rules in some places at least:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...-parties-seeking-offer-minpaku-services-city/

And AirBnB has gotten some kind of deal with Kamaishi in Iwate:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...bnb-scores-tourism-promotion-deal-city-iwate/

Of course, it's not all good:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/07/27/business/airbnb-home-sharing-war-heats-japan/
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...-firm-plans-airbnb-rentals-amid-tourism-boom/

KiraFA37

So I'm thinking about using a data only sim card while I'm in Japan and the bmobile card in the OP looks very tempting. Anybody has some experience with these? I'll probably be going for a pickup in the airport.

Gibbo

Hey guys. I'll be staying in an Airbnb in the Ebisu area come November Are there any must try restaurants around the area? Pretty excited as I just read that the Christmas light up in the area will be happening on my arrival date

So I'm thinking about using a data only sim card while I'm in Japan and the bmobile card in the OP looks very tempting. Anybody has some experience with these? I'll probably be going for a pickup in the airport.

Make sure to read all the info on the website so you're sure it works with your phone and you know about the speed limits. Other than that, go for it!

Last time I was in Japan, I had T-Mobile which let me use slightly slower unlimited data for free. Now I have Verizon. My phone isn't paid off so my best option is pocket wifi right?

Fireblend

Banned
If you're visiting Japan a lot for either business or vacation purposes you can now sign up to be a 'Trusted Traveler' so you can use the automated immigration gates at Narita, Haneda, Chubu and Kansai airports. Details and requirement info here:
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/ttp2/en/index.html

I have to have visited Japan already in order to use this, right?

Man, only one month to go for my trip. I can barely contain my excitement! x_x

Hey guys. I'll be staying in an Airbnb in the Ebisu area come November Are there any must try restaurants around the area? Pretty excited as I just read that the Christmas light up in the area will be happening on my arrival date

There's a Chibo okonomiyaki restaurant on the 38th floor of Ebisu Garden Place. Great views and not stupid expensive.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If you're visiting Japan a lot for either business or vacation purposes you can now sign up to be a 'Trusted Traveler' so you can use the automated immigration gates at Narita, Haneda, Chubu and Kansai airports. Details and requirement info here:
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/ttp2/en/index.html

Hey, cool. Registered. Waiting for my confirmation email now.

So I book another few days in Tokyo. I fly into Narita. Now to figure out where to stay. Fritz was so kind as to offer mountain suggestions. I wonder if I should stay in the city and take a day trip every so often.

Good thing I got a JR Pass on this trip ;P

CwRVxZAWEAAKFp1.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
So now that me and my gf's trip is less than a month away, I want to start collecting some recommendations on places to check out and annoy you guys with other questions. Here's our schedule:

We arrive in Tokyo Dec 4th - not much to do other than look for our Airbnb and look for somewhere to eat I guess. Flight lands at 3pm.
Dec 5-7: Tokyo. We'll be staying in Shibuya
Dec 8-16: Kyoto. We'll be staying in Kyoto (near Kyoto Station), but we'll be taking day trips for at least 3 of those days: 1 to Nara, and 2 to Osaka (at least. Might decide to add a third if we end up liking it more than Kyoto). Gotta make that JR Pass worth it :p
Dec 17&18: Hiroshima & Miyajima
Dec 19-21: Tokyo again, might take a day trip somewhere? Staying in Minato this time.

Some questions:

• My gf really wants to check out Akihabara and buy retro gaming stuff. I told her maybe we should schedule that for when we're on our way back so we don't have to carry whatever we end up buying throughout the entire trip. Makes sense?
  • How easy should it be to get to the "tourist parts" of Osaka from Kyoto Station? As I mentioned I'm hoping to travel there early morning and back in the evening 2 or 3 days in a row.
  • All of the Airbnb places we chose offer a portable wifi thing. Is that a good alternative to getting a phone sim at the airport or should we still get one? I mean it's a router with a sim inside so I think it should be equivalent?
  • We have a ~$120 budget for food per day between the two of us. Too little? too much? We don't expect to be doing any fine dining or anything fancy, except maybe once or twice?
  • In general, how easy should it be for us to figure out what to do/where to go each day? When we travel we don't really make strict schedules beforehand, we like figuring out what's next on our own, but I worry the language barrier will delay us too much this time so it would be good to do some more specific planning beforehand?
Thanks! Recommendations on places to go/eat at are welcome.

Yeah, makes sense to do the shopping in the latter part of the trip if possible. Make sure you actually set aside enough time for going though. :p

Just take a train directly from Kyoto Station to Osaka Station. Only takes 30-45 mins. Then you're already at some touristy parts like the Umeda Sky Building. You can take the subway to Namba from the nearby Umeda Subway Station, takes less than 10 min and then you're near Dotonbori and all that.

It depends on what data plan the Wifi device got and how heavy usage it got from the people who stayed at the place before you. If you really require a stable Internet connection each and every day, then you should get something else as a backup at least. And remember that you'd probably want Internet while you're moving between accommodations as well. Especially if you need to look up directions to where you're staying.

$120 a day should be fine. Might even spend less. Depends on what places you find to eat.

You should do some basic planning of places you want to see and where in each city they're at at least, so you don't have to waste time finding out where stuff is. And you could always check out the tourist information offices and pick up some English flyers or maps. There's usually some of those around the usual tourist spots and larger stations.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
What are some good places to eat around Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?
I'm interested as well :)

While I've never been to Kyoto, I will be going to Honke Owari in April.

In Tokyo, off the top of my head, I would typically seek out anywhere that had Katsu or Curry. In Harajuku, we liked to eat at Tonkatsu Shotaro. Tonkatsu Wako was pretty good. Tonkatsu Yamabe in Ueno was probably my favorite. The head chef will love you if you know a little Japanese.

In Akihabara, make sure you check out the B-1 Grand Prix Shokudo.

In Nakano, go to Temma Curry.

Get ice cream from Marugoto Kochi in Ginza.

In Sugamo, get Kakigori at Kobo Sekka.

Go here for currypan and other baked goods.

elhaym

In Kyoto, hell if I can remember the name, but we got some really good tsukemen ramen at this side-ally place in the Teramachi shopping arcade (Which was fun to walk around in its own right). Had like 6 seats or something like that and the line was about 10 people when we got there.

Fireblend

Banned
Thanks! I'll be saving those recommendations :D and it's good to know $120 is probably on the high side (for "frugal" eaters, obviously :p). I was definitely hoping we'd be able to spend less than that during most of the trip and accumulate for a nice fancier dinner by the end of it :) are most food stalls good bets for grabbing a bite? I want to try genuine takoyaki so bad I'll probably throw myself at the first stall I spot
KuGsj.gif

Thanks! I'll be saving those recommendations :D and it's good to know $120 is probably on the high side (for "frugal" eaters, obviously :p). I was definitely hoping we'd be able to spend less than that during most of the trip and accumulate for a nice fancier dinner by the end of it :) are most food stalls good bets for grabbing a bite? I want to try genuine takoyaki so bad I'll probably throw myself at the first stall I spot
KuGsj.gif

I have only had Takoyaki in an izakaya but I imagine it's hard to screw up. I'd be interested in recommendations in Kansai though.

If you want to try a high end restaurant, you might want to get in touch with Tabris if he ever gets unbanned (after the election?).

aOlafsson

Neo Member

Tokyo has endless good food. My favorite place was Kikanbo It was the best ramen I've ever eaten, it is like a 5-10 minute walk from Akihabara. Get the double pork one if you like meat.

One of the most fun places I ate at was this place call Torizoku, in a basement in Shibuya. If you go I highly reccommend getting something they called a MEGA Highball. Which is just a highball in a huge glass. Really fun to drink.

Tokyo Station also has tons of food and lots of it was delicious. Many things around there that are worth looking at.

In Osaka, near Tsutenkaku they have a ton of places that serve friend stuff on sticks. I don't remember where I ate, but this stuff is delicious. There was also another cool place that I read about and went to called Toyo. It is like an outside sashimi stall a little bit north of Osaka Castle. Really fun place to eat, but was a little intimidating as someone who couldn't speak or read Japanese.

I went to one really nice restaurant on my trip in Kyoto called Tempura Matsu. If you feel like going all out try and get a reservation there, it is the best meal I ever had.

KillGore

So last time I went to Japan I went to Tokyo, Osaka, Himeji, Kyoto and Hiroshima. Will be coming back next year to Japan. Was wondering what other places you guys would recommend? Nagoya seemed cool. Is there anything interesting in Yokohama? Seems like the only big thing is the chinatown there. Is sapporo worth going in May?

Where else, GAF? Help!

So last time I went to Japan I went to Tokyo, Osaka, Himeji, Kyoto and Hiroshima. Will be coming back next year to Japan. Was wondering what other places you guys would recommend? Nagoya seemed cool. Is there anything interesting in Yokohama? Seems like the only big thing is the chinatown there. Is sapporo worth going in May?

Where else, GAF? Help!

Yokohama Landmark Tower was pretty cool. There's also the Cup Noodle museum.

Outside of Yokohama, I highly recommend Kamakura.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I've just booked my Ghibli Museum ticket for my visit at the end of February, now I need to figure the rail route and cost of my Sunday day visit to Hakone. Are there any good English travel advice sites for me figuring that out, other than Google Maps?

Where else, GAF? Help!

I enjoyed Kanazawa/Toyama/Takayama more than Nagoya of the places I went to in Chubu.

And Sapporo is nice as well as well as some other places in Hokkaido. Could do day trips to Otaru and check out all the glassware and music box shops and go to Noboribetsu and check out hell valley and onsens.

I've just booked my Ghibli Museum ticket for my visit at the end of February, now I need to figure the rail route and cost of my Sunday day visit to Hakone. Are there any good English travel advice sites for me figuring that out, other than Google Maps?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html

Gaius

Banned
Hey JapanGAF, what is the best month to visit Japan for the first time? I need to book my holidays for the next year today and was caught off guard for actually not having an idea of when i want them. Help!

Hey JapanGAF, what is the best month to visit Japan for the first time? I need to book my holidays for the next year today and was caught off guard for actually not having an idea of when i want them. Help!

Beginning of April if you want to see cherry blossoms. Mid-May or October if you want to avoid the worst crowds. Late October/early November if you want to check out the autumn colours.

A couple of us will be there around the beginning of April so if you're interested in some kind of GAF get-together we might be able to organize one.
The first time I went to Japan was at this time. It's a great time to go. It rains quite a bit although that's probably true no matter what time you go. It was also pretty windy. Keep in mind that a lot of people will be visiting around this time so if you don't like crowds
don't go to Japan
it might be a bit worse this time of year.

The second time I went was in September. This was the tail-end of summer so it was really hot but overall it's a good time to go. There were a lot less tourists at this time and I was able to catch a few matsuri which was pretty cool. If you have heat sensitivity I would recommend going at the earliest the end of September.

Input this in Google Maps: 自家製太麺 ドカ盛 マッチョ 難波千日前, 中央区日本橋2-7-22 Osaka, Ōsaka-fu

IMG_5118.JPG

Dokamori Maccho (sounds like Macho)

Follow the directions, go inside and order the normal ramen with garlic and big noodles. No English whatsoever, but it's a vending machine ticket place, and the employees will help
you out.

Fn6D5Wg.jpg

Kohmen in Tokyo is good for ramen, and they're eveywhere. Get the tantamen with a side of shiso gyoza.

I'd also recommend Chibo in Ebisu Garden Place for Okonomiyaki and views from the 38th floor. The place isn't typically busy and it's the best deal for a skyline view of Tokyo.

JulianImp

We got a JR West Pass for today (¥2,300 each), and used it to visit Hikone for their festival parade (it was really nice!), go around the town, and then head the opposite way to Himeji to check the castle out before returning to Osaka. The Himeji part was kind of a bummer since we left Hikone at 15:30 and didn't arrive to Himeji until about 18:00, which was more than enough time for the sun to set and spoil our fun (the castle being white and well-lit at night meant we either got shots of the castle floating on a black void or the castle grounds with some crazy white blot where the actual building was supposed to be). Even though we had to dance around the "only JR trains" restriction to get from Namba to Osaka, I can't recommend the pass enough since a one-way trip to Hikone would've costed us about ¥1,900 by itself. You'd better depart early though, since the commute times add up fast, and often in hourly increments.

After checking out the peony garden, which was dark as hell and completely devoid of any flowers (surprise, it's autumn!), we went past the station and into a Book Off where my friend got a pretty good Tezuka artbook and I managed to find Umineko Ep 7, volume 8 for my collection (now only 8-8 to go, since I don't care all that much about Tsubasa).

Also, and in case anyone cares, that Book-Off had two copies of New Love Plus Plus for ¥2,980, but of course I only found them after I've already bought it for a bit more in Den Den Town... If there's a rule about Japan I've come up with, it's that you should never buy anything at any price that isn't ¥108 unless you've already exhausted all possibilities of getting it for cheaper (but the game couldn't be helped, since I never had plans for visiting Himeji until.... well, yesterday)

mYm|17|

going to Tokyo in 2 weeks...........eeeeeek

Staying in Shinjuku, hopefully I don't get Ramen'd out by the end of the trip

JulianImp

going to Tokyo in 2 weeks...........eeeeeek

Staying in Shinjuku, hopefully I don't get Ramen'd out by the end of the trip

If the place you're lodging at gives you the chance to cook food yourself, you should probably do so to save quite a bit of money and have some healthier food at the same time.

Top Bottom