• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

rip

So, I'm currently at some cool place in the Gion/Kawaramachi area. Closest station is probably Sanjo or Kyoto Shiyakusho-mae. If you could PM me maaaaybe it'll work, no clue why it didn't work that time. Maybe I accidentally PM'd the wrong person, hahahahah.

Just arrived at Kyoto station and sent you another pm. see if you can reply to that one with the location.

Mr Git

We're taking a break right now but have already done 9.3 miles today. We did Sugamo then we took the Yamanote to Nishi-Nippori and checked out a bunch of temples. After that we went through Yanaka Ginza and walked to Ueno station via Ameyoko. We're heading to Nakano in a few minutes.

Woops, I should check this thread more often. I'm staying in Nakano and basically spent the last two days wandering around/reading or doing not a lot. Could have had a booze!

most bath house now a day don't really care about tattoos. I've seen plenty of people with full sleeves or vest tattoos on them (Japanese) and they got in just fine.

Oh shit really? My friends and family living here told me that my tattoos (full sleeve plus extras) basically make public onsen a complete no-go for me. Might give it a shot in that case, as had just accepted I wouldn't be allowed.

Woops, I should check this thread more often. I'm staying in Nakano and basically spent the last two days wandering around/reading or doing not a lot. Could have had a booze!

Nope because I don't drink and my wife doesn't give me enough time to stop for that sort of thing. I've been given permission to come back in February without her so I can probably do a GAF meetup then.

Is there a good survival companion app to travel to japan ? Mostly for language and ordering in restaurants.

I went to the book shop and they had only dictionaries or picture books...

I'll go for one of these if you don't have good practical solutions.

danowat

Banned
Is there a good survival companion app to travel to japan ? Mostly for language and ordering in restaurants.

Google Translate seems to work well enough.

When I don't have access to or want to use data, I use "imiwa?"

It's interface isn't great but it has a good dictionary and let's me build kanji by radical.

Google Translate seems to work well enough.

When I don't have access to or want to use data, I use "imiwa?"

It's interface isn't great but it has a good dictionary and let's me build kanji by radical.

I would just like to point out that you can actually download the language definition on Google Translate, like Japanese or Chinese, so you can use it offline.

I would just like to point out that you can actually download the language definition on Google Translate, like Japanese or Chinese, so you can use it offline.

That's pretty interesting. I had no idea. Still, I know enough Japanese for Google translate to be a bad choice. If your Japanese is non-existent, it's probably the best choice though.

Still, I know enough Japanese for Google translate to be a bad choice. If your Japanese is non-existent, it's probably the best choice though.

This is pretty much where I stand as well. Also, you can supplement Translate use with simply Googling for various phrase lists if you want something more specific. Last night for example, the staff at a Dotonbori izakaya bar were getting a kick out of me using some Kansai-ben (probably sounded like a goober, but they still understood) that you wouldn't get from Translate.

Maxim726X

So, my fiancee's father is taking us out to Japan, and we're leaving this Friday!

It's a private tour, which is great but I want to make sure that I take advantage of my nights, particularly in Tokyo.

We're staying in Tokyo 4/9 and 4/10. Where should I go?? What should I do??

We're going to be in Akihabara 4/10, and I definitely want to gallivant at night. Any suggestions would be welcome.

So, my fiancee's father is taking us out to Japan, and we're leaving this Friday!

It's a private tour, which is great but I want to make sure that I take advantage of my nights, particularly in Tokyo.

We're staying in Tokyo 4/9 and 4/10. Where should I go?? What should I do??

We're going to be in Akihabara 4/10, and I definitely want to gallivant at night. Any suggestions would be welcome.

The robot restaurant is pretty unique and fun. If you're looking for normal nightlife, someone else will probably have better suggestions. Ikebukuro, Shinjuku and Shibuya all have pretty active nightlifes although Ikebukuro might be a bad choice for someone that is engaged.

TCRS

Banned
holy shit guys we're flying today! never thought I would ever see japan in my life, literally a dream coming true! unfortunately the weather doesn't seem to be that nice in Tokyo but fuck it, going to enjoy it anyway!

I'm still slightly panicked. because of heavy work load I hardly had time to pack and prepare properly. hopefully I haven't forgotten anything important.

holy shit guys we're flying today! never thought I would ever see japan in my life, literally a dream coming true! unfortunately the weather doesn't seem to be that nice in Tokyo but fuck it, going to enjoy it anyway!

I'm still slightly panicked. because of heavy work load I hardly had time to pack and prepare properly. hopefully I haven't forgotten anything important.

enjoy the trip~

edit: btw how goes the planning? got things all mapped out?

danowat

Banned

I am in the same boat (well, not strictly, it's still 4 weeks till I go), so enjoy it!

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
It has been over a month since I last replied in this thread and went to Japan for six days. It was a great experience spending five days in Tokyo and having a day trip to Hakone. Here is my photo album, for anyone interested. Photos are of the Sunshine City Pokémon Center, Akihabara, Ghibli Museum, Hakone and Tokyo Skytree.

For anyone interested in Hakone, I should mention that part of the ropeway is currently closed, requiring the use of a replacement bus which can/will easily gets stalled in traffic due to the narrow roads. On a related note, if you find yourself to be 'horizontally challenged' akin to myself, WEAR GOOD WALKING BOOTS. You will find yourself walking everywhere, a lot. I am now on a mission to lose as much weight as possible before I revisit Japan next year. Also, it helps to learn as many basic phrases as you can.

One last thing of note. If you find yourself in Akihabara wanting to shop but don't want to see explicit hentai, just stick to the ground floor of every store you go to.

Lego Boss

Showing my daughters the Pickachu parades on YouTube this morning. Thee little one (5) tells all off her friends that she is going to Japan where there are 'lots of Pickachus'.

I think that frame of reference is cute.

Leaving tomorrow evening, everyone excited and no packing done yet. Win!

I've just done 4 nights in Tokyo (Shibuya/Roppongi/Akihabara/Asakusa), 3 in Osaka (Namba/Dotonbori), and am now in Nagoya (Nishiki/Sakae) for 2, then 1 more in Tokyo (Ginza) before I head out on Sunday.

The differences between areas is palpable, yet never disuading. Tokyo was easy to settle into but always felt kind of surface level. Osaka was tougher to crack, but I now feel like I could spend weeks there and not get a fraction of what it has to offer. Nagoya feels like all business, all the time, but still fun loving.

This is obviously based on my rather narrow experiences, but my main takeaway is that I can't wait to come back after working even more on my Japanese and dig in to everything even deeper.

In one week exactly I'll be landing in Narita. So scared yet so excited haha

Embrace it and enjoy it! :D

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hey Japan GAF.

My wife and I will be in Japan for the (3rd!) time in early May. I'm just now planning the trip because we are also going to HK/China before we arrive and that got the bulk of my attention since I "know" Japan pretty well. Now I'm scrambling cuz I'm on a plane to Hong Kong in a week :p

We want to bike the Shimanami Kaido (we hiked the Kumono Kodo last year and are looking for another off the beaten path adventure) and have hotel reservations but am running into an issue:

1) I want to rent two nice hybrid bikes from GIANT in Onomichi and return them at the GIANT store in Imabari but returning a bike to a different store requires a reservation over the phone. I can rent a bike from the city on the spot, but have heard they are questionable bikes. We are also doing the biking on May 6th. So, I know its the end of GW and have some fear that all the bikes will be rented already.

2) I want to work with a service that forwards luggage to your destination, but I need to speak with the hotel concierge and the only contact information I can find is a phone number (we are staying at the same brand hotel in Onomichi and Imabari).

Any Japan-GAFers willing to help me out by speaking with the hotel/Giant?

We are also looking at potentially relocating to Japan and are going to check out neighborhoods in Tokyo.

Right now we are thinking of Harajuku (not the insane part, the part up nearer to Shinjuku where the Swallows play) and Shimokitazawa. We lived in the upper west side of Manhattan and in central Austin now. So any neighborhoods that would be nice for early to mid 30 something aging hipsters that like park space, bars and restaurants would be great :)

We did the Robot restaurant again tonight. It was fun. I'm happy to say that the show was mostly different than last time. I'm a bit disappointed that Kabukicho is less seedy than it used to be. There's a lot of street lights that I don't remember that wash out the neon lights and it looks like some of the sex shops have closed down.

Otherwise we did Ueno-Ginza again because my camera was set wrong last night and we wanted to go to the bakery. A nice old man told us all about the apartment complex that destroyed their view of Fujisan. We also did Ueno-proper, Tokyo and the Imperial Palace, Ginza, and Akihabara. If you're into arcade games, check out Mak in the 5th floor of one of the buildings past Retro Game Camp. It's heaven in there.

My apple watch tells me we walked 16.1 miles today but I'm less tired than I have been so far this trip. I must be breaking.

danowat

Banned
We did the Robot restaurant again tonight. It was fun.

So worth going then? we looked at it and thought it looked a bit touristy trappy, and a bit over priced, but if it's worth a look, we might reconsider.

Also, dumb question, bento boxes (or ekiben) they can be eaten cold (room temp) right?

Eldainorn

I am also going to Japan in exactly 13 days for the second time! Can't wait. In two weeks I will already be in Kyoto, the best city in Japan! (for now :p)

Hey Japan GAF.

We want to bike the Shimanami Kaido (we hiked the Kumono Kodo last year and are looking for another off the beaten path adventure) and have hotel reservations but am running into an issue:

1) I want to rent two nice hybrid bikes from GIANT in Onomichi and return them at the GIANT store in Imabari but returning a bike to a different store requires a reservation over the phone. I can rent a bike from the city on the spot, but have heard they are questionable bikes. We are also doing the biking on May 6th. So, I know its the end of GW and have some fear that all the bikes will be rented already.

2) I want to work with a service that forwards luggage to your destination, but I need to speak with the hotel concierge and the only contact information I can find is a phone number (we are staying at the same brand hotel in Onomichi and Imabari).

Any Japan-GAFers willing to help me out by speaking with the hotel/Giant?

I can't help you with that but I looked into Shiminami Kaido quite good and we decied to rent the basic bikes next to the Giant store in Onomichi. I have read that if you come early (we are targeting around 8.00 am) there are no problems with renting a good bike. And the non-Giant ones are pretty cheap (1000yen + 1000yen deposit).

We are probably going on the 26th April. We will start in Hiroshima, take a train to Onomichi, bike, probably relax at the Dogo Onsen in Matsuyama and then head back with a ferry to Kure and then train back to Hiroshima. It will be a very busy day.

Hope you find a good solution and have a good time!

So worth going then? we looked at it and thought it looked a bit touristy trappy, and a bit over priced, but if it's worth a look, we might reconsider.

Also, dumb question, bento boxes (or ekiben) they can be eaten cold (room temp) right?

That's up to you. It's true that it's a tourist trap but we only paid about $50 a person because we bought our tickets through Veltra instead of directly from them where they want 8000 yen. It's definitely not worth 8000 yen. But it's still something unique and interesting to do for a couple hours and it makes for great photos.

For us, since we don't drink, it helps keep us busy at night too since pretty much everything else you can do in Tokyo after 9 involves alcohol. I think it's worth doing at least once. I probably won't go again though.

Kenstar

Wish we had chunithym back home, spent so much time on it and blazblue yesterday (no arcade scene where I'm from)

Met a Swiss guy playing, we played for hours and meet up with his buddies at Hooters then went to gas panic in shibuya, Forgot to get his contact info tho, is this what mono no aware is like haha

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I am also going to Japan in exactly 13 days for the second time! Can't wait. In two weeks I will already be in Kyoto, the best city in Japan! (for now :p)

I can't help you with that but I looked into Shiminami Kaido quite good and we decied to rent the basic bikes next to the Giant store in Onomichi. I have read that if you come early (we are targeting around 8.00 am) there are no problems with renting a good bike. And the non-Giant ones are pretty cheap (1000yen + 1000yen deposit).

We are probably going on the 26th April. We will start in Hiroshima, take a train to Onomichi, bike, probably relax at the Dogo Onsen in Matsuyama and then head back with a ferry to Kure and then train back to Hiroshima. It will be a very busy day.

Hope you find a good solution and have a good time!

Let me know how it goes, we'll be doing almost the same thing about 2 weeks later.

danowat

Banned
That's up to you. It's true that it's a tourist trap but we only paid about $50 a person because we bought our tickets through Veltra instead of directly from them where they want 8000 yen. It's definitely not worth 8000 yen. But it's still something unique and interesting to do for a couple hours and it makes for great photos.

For us, since we don't drink, it helps keep us busy at night too since pretty much everything else you can do in Tokyo after 9 involves alcohol. I think it's worth doing at least once. I probably won't go again though.

Cheers, might see if I can get some cheap tickets then.

For anyone in Tokyo, and interested in Anime, particularly Attack on titan, there is an exhibition at the Sky Tree, "Attack on Skytree" , also AoT themed food in the cafe, from 4/10-7/14.

So I'm going!

Lego Boss

Just about to leave for Heathrow (1300 UK time).

My wife is quite apprehensive and worried about the kids, but they'll be OK eating squid and puffer fish won't they?

danowat

Banned
Just about to leave for Heathrow (1300 UK time).

My wife is quite apprehensive and worried about the kids, but they'll be OK eating squid and puffer fish won't they?

I'm sure they'll be fine, it's not like you're going to the back of beyond, there's always McD's.

Top Bottom