• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

micster

I'm off to Japan for an internship next month! I'm so excited to get out there. So far, my schedule says I'll be spending a week in Tokyo, then Osaka and Kobe for the next 10 days, Aichi for 6 days, Kyoto for 11 and then back to Tokyo for the last week of my placement.

Then I'm stopping an extra 10 days after I finish for pure holidaying and purchasing. Going to be one huge experience! Longest flight I'll have ever done too, as I've only done European places in the past.

Resilient

Any hotel recommendations for Osaka/Kobe/Nara/Kyoto? Preferably less than 100 USD a night.

Family Inn Fifty's Osaka. Was about 35 a night. I thought it was awesome. Breakfast included. Note, though, that I'm a younger traveller and I don't care for fancy pants hotel. It was a very good price for what it was!!

It's in Higobashi, probably like 10 minute walk to Awaza station so it's close to trains. Although, the closest JR is about 15/20 minute walk.

scarlet

Every thought of Hostel's instead of Hotels? You could do 3 nights for under $100. Also you get to meet some great people.

Hostel is fun! met a lot of great people!

I'm doing Hotel Taiyo in Osaka.. Ended up being like 127 for 6 nights?

Remm Osaka cost me 150 a night, but it was good, I have 2 suitcases and it was raining, there's no way I'm dragging 2 suitcase while raining and changing subway for 75 a night haha

Hostel is fun! met a lot of great people!

Remm Osaka cost me 150 a night, but it was good, I have 2 suitcases and it was raining, there's no way I'm dragging 2 suitcase while raining and changing subway for 75 a night haha

Haha, nice! I'm packing light for the trip so I'm cool with putting up with some goofy peculiarities for the cheap room rate!

I should clarify: It was 127 total, something like 20 dollars a night. It's barebones/basic, but will suit me just fine, since I'll barely be in there.

Almost 2 weeks away! I'm past the point of complete worry and am totally excited now. I haven't done too much planning beyond the 4 days (2 day Osaka Amazing Pass stuff, 1 day Kyoto, 1 day Nara), and I'll just wing it for the rest!

Just gotta write down the addresses/get Hyperdia on my phone/put more language stuff on my phone so I'm not completely lost...

Lazlo

Any hotel recommendations for Osaka/Kobe/Nara/Kyoto? Preferably less than 100 USD a night.

Stayed at the Shin-Osaka Washington Hotel Plaza in one of the renovated rooms. Amazing view, super fast internet, all linens and sheets refreshed daily, helpful staff, super easy access to transit, and I think it was ~60usd / night... if not less, I forget exact price.

View from the room
OX3ThnQ.jpg

Trojan X

Banned
Only been home for a few days and want to go back already. Gonna have to drop this thread its killing me lol.

I TOLD EVERYONE THAT THIS WILL HAPPEN. I don't blame you. Going to Japan for a holiday then coming back home will leave you messed up! You'll feel crap about your country and start scheming ways to come back to Japan sooner. IT always happen, it happened to me too.

scottnak

Moar food!

Sukiiya's Curry + Gyudon mix
Hakone, Yuugiriso (Ryokan) - Local Chicken & veggies in the pot with a whole ball of collagen, tempura! sashimi! fish! So much good stuff!
Dessert Too!
Followed by Breakfast! Tofu, veggies, natto, fish, mmm~

Shumai Bento

Kokoichi Curry! Kanazawa Curry with Crab Cream Croquette topping (so good)

Melon Pan!

Osaka:Bonkuraya - Okonomiyaki! Had a littl bit of everything in mine. Tasty :)

Takoyaki too!

Asakusa - Soba & Dessert at the Sky Tree

Last Meal! Sushi @ Sushizanmai

Also Don't forget to try these guys. Cheap and tasty. Probably had one almost every day :D

Also gave the Sakura burger from McDonalds a shot... a little too saucy but otherwise was pretty nice...

KtSlime

I haven't and won't eat it (sakura burger), however everyone I know who has has said it was hard to eat because of too much sauce.

I TOLD EVERYONE THAT THIS WILL HAPPEN. I don't blame you. Going to Japan for a holiday then coming back home will leave you messed up! You'll feel crap about your country and start scheming ways to come back to Japan sooner. IT always happen, it happened to me too.

Haha. Less than a year since my first trip to Japan, so same here :p

Fritz

I just reserved a rental car in the Japanese Alps on the phone which was my first proper contact with Japan.

The lady's English was good. The accent was a bit unfamiliar but I heard worse from fellow Germans. It went pretty smoothly. I am going to be fine. YIKES

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Going to Tokyo today. If anybody wants to meet up, just let me know. I'll visit some places in Yokohama, Chiba and Saitama too and my schedule is pretty flexible.

Where are you going in Chiba? Going to be there on Monday renewing my wife's passport, but would be interested to know if there were any places worth checking out.

shas'la

Narita airport question

Are the two terminals linked underground by the same train station or do they serve different stops.

A group of us were planning to meet at the JR travel office at the airport, but are arriving at different terminals - I suppose if there are two terminals there might be two separate travel offices?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Only been home for a few days and want to go back already. Gonna have to drop this thread its killing me lol.
I'm already making a list of the things I didn't get a chance to do and should try doing next time.

Also in a year's time maybe YuruYuri is a little less popular and I can find Akari merch this time round.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Narita airport question

Are the two terminals linked underground by the same train station or do they serve different stops.

A group of us were planning to meet at the JR travel office at the airport, but are arriving at different terminals - I suppose if there are two terminals there might be two separate travel offices?

Each terminal has it's own separate office and own separate station.

Where are you going in Chiba? Going to be there on Monday renewing my wife's passport, but would be interested to know if there were any places worth checking out.

I'm just gonna check out the park and such.

I'm already making a list of the things I didn't get a chance to do and should try doing next time.

Also in a year's time maybe YuruYuri is a little less popular and I can find Akari merch this time round.

You didn't find YuriYuri stuff? Where were you looking? :p

Well specifically Akari. Well I lie, I saw a fig I already own, one that I didn't like the look of and a rip off keychain.

I saw figures and stuff everywhere today in Akihabara. Should have gone to the Akiba Info Center on the second floor of the UDX building and picked up a map of Akihabara. It points out certain figure and anime shops.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Did you go to Akiba Cultures Zone or Nakano Broadway?
Yes. I even made an enquiry in one of the Mandarake stores about something I saw on their website. To be fair, there aren't many Akari figs outside the three I've got that look good. The Banpresto prize figs look a bit off (did buy a Haruka one since it was only about a fiver) but if I had seen this one it could have been a fun buy. Of course I didn't even bother to look at Beach Queens.

I saw figures and stuff everywhere today in Akihabara. Should have gone to the Akiba Info Center on the second floor of the UDX building and picked up a map of Akihabara. It points out certain figure and anime shops.
Well I guess I was pretty unlucky. Unfortunately for me I was with a friend so my time spent figurine hunting was limited. Next time I'll try to get a good deal of time to myself for shopping.

KtSlime

Yes. I even made an enquiry in one of the Mandarake stores about something I saw on their website. To be fair, there aren't many Akari figs outside the three I've got that look good. The Banpresto prize figs look a bit off (did buy a Haruka one since it was only about a fiver) but if I had seen this one it could have been a fun buy. Of course I didn't even bother to look at Beach Queens.

Well I guess I was pretty unlucky. Unfortunately for me I was with a friend so my time spent figurine hunting was limited. Next time I'll try to get a good deal of time to myself for shopping.

I haven't seen that one before, but I live only a 10 minute walk from the Broadway and usually pass through on my way home from work, saves me from riding the Oedo during rush hour and a few hundred yen a day, if I see it I'll send you a message.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I haven't seen that one before, but I live only a 10 minute walk from the Broadway and usually pass through on my way home from work, saves me from riding the Oedo during rush hour and a few hundred yen a day, if I see it I'll send you a message.
Thanks for the offer buts there's really no need. It would have been a nice spontaneous buy but I'm not in desperate need for it. Oddly the item I asked about in Nakano is still on their website so I'm guessing they have a backroom or something.

The farmer's market in Omotesando is great. Hung out in Yanaka for a bit today, bought my daughter a Yamanote train at Yodobashi and had some more tantanmen and shiso gyoza today at Kohmen for lunch. Sooo good.

This evening we had some amazing pour over coffee at Cafe Obscura in Sangenjaya, then a fantastic dinner at this little Indian restaurant called Shiva (all in Japanese), and had a Fantome saison at Pigalle. Sangenjaya is a really cool neighborhood, kinda reminds me of Shimokitazawa on a much smaller scale.

Gonna go hang out at Shinjuku gyoenmae tomorrow and probably walk around Harajuku for some people watching. Maybe a pint at Baird. We fly home out of Haneda tomorrow night shortly after midnight. We'll be back again in four years, this time with our daughter in tow.

Damaged

Agreed, going back for my third visit in may haha

Desmond

Well... Checked into my hotel earlier today and it's right next to Akihabara, so I went to check it out:

What hotel?

I will spend a week or so in Tokyo before I study in Kyoto this August/September, need to scout out hotels. Not staying in a hostel.

Also, re: the food pictures, I can't stand Okonomiyaki for some reason and the photos don't help lol

Fusebox

Banned
Wish I'd bought a wifi SD card so I could post some stuff using my iPad. Oh well, can wait a week or so until I'm back home.

Going to makuhari tomorrow or maybe Sunday to see a Nissan Skyline exhibition, they have all of them there on show apparently. My father in law is going too, he has been a diehard skyline fan, pretty much not owning anything else. Never the really powerful ones though

Wifi SD to transfer from your camera to your iPad? Use the camera connection kit instead it's way faster and saves your cameras battery. I never travel without it.

Resilient

Man I can't believe the prices of hotels! Hit up the hostels!! Was paging 20-40 usd a night depending on the city and met some awesome people doing so!

K's House in everywhere have been excellent. Super clean, quiet, friendly and comfortable. I usually prefer grubby party hostels but japan is just to tranquil to want that!

Also I don't know what the standard of Kobe beef is outside of Kobe but we went there and had some and man, it is expensive but it is more than worth it. We went to Wakkoqu in Shinkobe station for the lunch special so you could feasibly get off a Shinkanesen if you have a rail card and stop for lunch.

Fusebox

Banned
Man I can't believe the prices of hotels! Hit up the hostels!! Was paging 20-40 usd a night depending on the city and met some awesome people doing so!

I was torn when I went, I wanted to stay cheap in the city and soak up the vibe but we ended up staying at the Marriott in Ginza instead. Admittedly it was a really nice place to end a long day but I think next time I'd like to stay somewhere busier and more colorful.

Top Bottom