• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

itshappening.gif

At least, I think its happening. I'll have to add International calling to my phone plan and probably give the mountain hut a call just to make sure. Apparently reservations for Mt. Fuji huts start in April and fill up quickly, so this wasn't my first choice, but it seems like I wormed my way through their online reservation form and got at least some sort of response.

Thes is the luxurious accommodations I'll be staying in:

http://www.goraikoukan.jp/english/

Bo6PmEwCcAA_Tke.jpg:large

Okay, rather thank fill up my flickr account I've dumped most of my pictures here

http://imgur.com/a/cZ3fi

Enjoy :)

Did you intend to include those pictures of pole dancers? I myself have never been to a strip club, but I imagine if you tried doing that in the US that'd be a quick way to get your ass beat.

Damaged

itshappening.gif

At least, I think its happening. I'll have to add International calling to my phone plan and probably give the mountain hut a call just to make sure. Apparently reservations for Mt. Fuji huts start in April and fill up quickly, so this wasn't my first choice, but it seems like I wormed my way through their online reservation form and got at least some sort of response.

Thes is the luxurious accommodations I'll be staying in:

http://www.goraikoukan.jp/english/

Bo6PmEwCcAA_Tke.jpg:large

Did you intend to include those pictures of pole dancers? I myself have never been to a strip club, but I imagine if you tried doing that in the US that'd be a quick way to get your ass beat.

haha, thats actually the robot burlesque bar in shinjuku, they were posing for shots at one point!

Edit: here is the website http://www.robot-restaurant.com

I hope that picture of the Coke vending machine is an anomaly. The lack of Diet Coke (or Coke Lite, not sure what Japan uses) is of great concern to me. And don't give me this "Coke Zero" bullshit.

*checks his other vending machine pictures*

Uh... Yeah. You're gonna be disappointed There's not even Coke Zero in all machines, just normal Coke. :p

KtSlime

I hope that picture of the Coke vending machine is an anomaly. The lack of Diet Coke (or Coke Lite, not sure what Japan uses) is of great concern to me. And don't give me this "Coke Zero" bullshit.
No Diet Coke here. Your diet cola options are Coke Zero, Pepsi NEX, Pepsi Special, and Mets Zero (actually pretty good).

Guru-Guru

Banned
If anybody wants to bike in Japan, do the Shimanamikaido route. It starts in Hiroshima prefecture (Onomichi) and ends in Imabara on Shikoku. The route is about 70km or so, and is ridiculously beautiful. You can rent bikes at the starting point, and drop them off at the other end. Of course, you could bike back to the starting point if you are fit. The bike route is clearly marked (even if you don't speak Japanese, you'd be fine), you cross 7 bridges along the way (1 of them being the longest suspension bridge in the world, apparently), and there are a ton of cool temples and tourist attractions.

hwalker84

If anybody wants to bike in Japan, do the Shimanamikaido route. It starts in Hiroshima prefecture (Onomichi) and ends in Imabara on Shikoku. The route is about 70km or so, and is ridiculously beautiful. You can rent bikes at the starting point, and drop them off at the other end. Of course, you could bike back to the starting point if you are fit. The bike route is clearly marked (even if you don't speak Japanese, you'd be fine), you cross 7 bridges along the way (1 of them being the longest suspension bridge in the world, apparently), and there are a ton of cool temples and tourist attractions.

That's on the list for next time.

The whole concept of drinking Coke or any carbonated drink (regardless of whether it's "Diet" or not) is backwards to me.

This. Japan prefers drinking tea (the unsweetened kind) over sugary carbonated drinks. In fact, seeing Coke in a vending machine is relatively rare compared to other drinks.

Spent an entire day in Osaka yesterday. So glad we bought the Osaka Amazing Pass because I lost count of the subway trains we took. Did the Sky Garden, then Osaka Castle (Gardens were closed D:), then Shinsaibashi, then the Aquarium, and then the Ferris Wheel. We were gonna do a boat tour down a canal but we were too late. My friends wanted to check out the local night life but my feet were screaming at me by then!

leroidys

Oh my god that sounds amazing.

Guru-Guru

Banned
That's on the list for next time.
It was perhaps my best experience in Japan, and I have lived here for around 2 years (1 year in Tokyo, 1 year in Okayama). Obviously, the best time to do it would be when the weather isn't ridiculously hot. I kind of wish I did it in late April or early May.

Oh my god that sounds amazing.
It really is. There are a ton of great stops along the way--there is a famous sherbet/ice cream place on route (AKB48 members even came by once), as well as a ton of amazing food stalls/restaurants. I'd recommend to anybody to go to Kosanji temple along the way. It looks like an ordinary temple complex from the outside, but on the inside they have a cave with a number of streams running through it, and the walls have paintings that depict scenes from hell. The views from the 7 (?) bridges are absolutely stunning, of course! Also, even if you do it by yourself or in a small group, it is easy to make new friends on the trip! Everybody else I encountered on the trip were very friendly, and I met a lot of cool people.

This link shows the million things you can do on the bike ride:

http://www.go-shimanami.jp/global/english/spot/index.html

Damn skippy. I did this when I visited Japan in 2010 (at the suggestion of a frequent visitor to Japan while riding into Tokyo on the N'EX) and it was by far the highlight of the trip, and something I recommend to everyone visiting Japan on this forum if they have the time.

If and when I do it again, I'll splurge for more of a road bike or something with electric-assist. I hadn't really ridden a bike in over a decade up until that point, but thankfully the Swiss guy I met while renting the bike didn't mind going at my pace.

It's a great way to get a taste of what life is like for the Japanese that live in the more rural areas of the country.

Getting back to Onomichi after dark proved quite an experience in itself however.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Kobe? I'll be heading there at the beginning of August but I'm not entirely sure what the best things to do there are. Kobe beef is a must, but we're still looking for a good place to try it.

Just figure there must be more to it that Sannomiya, Harborland and the huge Buddha statue!

kizito

Hi guys !
Going to japan in 3 weeks, can anyone living there tell me if it's possible to find some Xbox One already ? It's not being sold here in Belgium so I would rather buy it in Japan even though it's not officially out, if I can manage to find one.
Thanks !

Trojan X

Banned
Hi guys !
Going to japan in 3 weeks, can anyone living there tell me if it's possible to find some Xbox One already ? It's not being sold here in Belgium so I would rather buy it in Japan even though it's not officially out, if I can manage to find one.
Thanks !

Not been released here yet.

kizito

Not been released here yet.

Yup, but impossible to find in stores ? Because in Belgium it's not officially out, but it's sold everywhere, the thing is the euro currency is much stronger than japanese Yen, so it would be better for me to buy one there.

KtSlime

Yup, but impossible to find in stores ? Because in Belgium it's not officially out, but it's sold everywhere, the thing is the euro currency is much stronger than japanese Yen, so it would be better for me to buy one there.

I just tried Trader's website (e-trader.jp) and didn't see any Xbox One systems for sale, they are probably the biggest 海外 (over seas) import game shop that I know of, maybe they have one in shop that's not listed? But I don't know, I don't imagine you finding the system cheaper here than there, especially when it's not here yet and the price is going to be massively marked up.

That's because it's released elsewhere in Europe though. No Asian countries got the Xbox One yet do they?

ajim

Just arrange to pick up a 3G/LTE mobile hotspot in advance. Find a company (last one I used was global advanced communications) and you fill a form out / pay online and pick up the modem from the airport post office and just drop it in a mailbox when you're done.

What does this mean exactly and how do I go about doing that?

Ive got a Nokia Lumia 920 and on one of the sites (http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html) in the op, my phone isn't listed... :(

matt360

This should be quoted again and again. As a Hiroshima resident, I do this bike ride at least once a year. It is so beautiful and is so much fun. After getting to Imabari, we usually take an express train over to Matsuyama to party for one night, hit up Dogo Onsen the next day, and then take a ferry back to Hiroshima from Matsuyama.

Although I can't really recommend going in the summertime. If you do, you absolutely must wear a hat, have loads of sunscreen handy, and drink tons of fluids. Common sense, sure, but the ride is no joke in 90 degree weather with 100% humidity.

WasMachinator

Neo Member
This should be quoted again and again. As a Hiroshima resident, I do this bike ride at least once a year. It is so beautiful and is so much fun. After getting to Imabari, we usually take an express train over to Matsuyama to party for one night, hit up Dogo Onsen the next day, and then take a ferry back to Hiroshima from Matsuyama.

Although I can't really recommend going in the summertime. If you do, you absolutely must wear a hat, have loads of sunscreen handy, and drink tons of fluids. Common sense, sure, but the ride is no joke in 90 degree weather with 100% humidity.

going to do the ride coming august, although we are experienced cyclists (dutch) I am still a bit troubled about it. since you are a Hiroshima resident, what is nice to do there except the atomic bomb musea and such?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

Is not 90 degree.. but it feels like 100000 :D

i HATE Japan in summer.

So, I just got an email today that my one-day pass for the Summer Sonic festival in Tokyo was shipped. Then I looked up the tracking number on Japan Post and it said it was already delivered. Went to my front door and saw a note from the post office that they needed a signature. One, I thought it was funny that they sent the tracking number after it was already delivered. Two, it was shipped out from Tokyo on 6/11 and arrived in (a suburb of) Chicago on 6/14, that's pretty impressive.

How hard is it to climb Mount Fuji?

I'll let you know in two months.

matt360

going to do the ride coming august, although we are experienced cyclists (dutch) I am still a bit troubled about it. since you are a Hiroshima resident, what is nice to do there except the atomic bomb musea and such?

Honestly, not much in Hiroshima City itself. But Miyajima is just a 20 minute train ride away and is easily one of the coolest places in Japan. I would actually recommend visiting Miyajima over the Peace Park if you can only choose one. Also, make sure to eat some Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki.

Is not 90 degree.. but it feels like 100000 :D

i HATE Japan in summer.

It might not be yet, but come late July and all of August, it'll be 90+ every single day. And I agree, I fucking hate Japan in the summer. Doubly so because my office doesn't have an A/C.

matt360

How hard is it to climb Mount Fuji?

I've never done it myself, but I hear it's not hard at all. It just takes a very long time to do, and there are times when there'll be a line going all the way up, so you'll only be able to go as fast as the people in front of you. I've also heard that the descent can be a bit slippery.

Damn. That sounds bad.

It's fucking brutal. And I was born and raised in Florida. Japan is still very third-world in a lot of ways.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Honestly, not much in Hiroshima City itself. But Miyajima is just a 20 minute train ride away and is easily one of the coolest places in Japan. I would actually recommend visiting Miyajima over the Peace Park if you can only choose one. Also, make sure to eat some Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki.

It might not be yet, but come late July and all of August, it'll be 90+ every single day. And I agree, I fucking hate Japan in the summer. Doubly so because my office doesn't have an A/C.

I live in Tokyo, i know the hell summers here because of the humidity. But you are saying 90 F? because i live in Celsius so last summer here was around 40 degrees max.

leroidys

Sitting at my gate waiting to board. Thanks so much to everyone here that helped me plan my trip! Expect lots of pictures when I get back in 3 weeks.

Ayumi

After checking the first page of this thread, I saw one thing missing.

NTT East is now offering free Wi-Fi for up to 14 days to tourist who visit Japan.

http://flets.com/freewifi/index.html

Yup, free Wi-Fi. Even if you're getting a data-SIM from B-Mobile or another Wi-Fi device, you should still take advantage of this to save data/money wherever you can. (And since this only covers the hotspot, you should still have something else to rely on if you want internet available 24/7.)
There are different Wi-Fi cards for the different areas of Japan. Wherever you'll be spending the most time at, you can get one for that area.

The free Wi-FI is distributed at certain places (like chain stores) listed on the website.

Trojan X

Banned

Don't worry, I was way ahead of you in regards to why you would want to purchase the Xbox One from Japan.

Unfortunately, no one would know whether it is impossible to purchase the Xbox One from ANY store in Japan until the actual machine is released. The machine is not released here yet and no Japanese game store break release dates anyhow, even if they did break the release date it would be a day prior release. Also, as words of advice, you may want to think again in consideration of the notorious region-lock: if it exist for the Xbox One. Please do some research first to confirm the region-lock because if it does exists then you are much better off purchasing the EU Xbox One. Why? Well you'll definitely see more western games releases for starters (Japan does not get that many for Xbox One unless the machine does incredibly well here, which I doubt due to proven history with Microsoft and the PS4 already has a massive head start), and most Japanese companies will definitely support the PS4 more as the userbase is already there and Xbox's user base will be difficult to forecast.

Quixzlizx

I think I'm going to be taking a tour in late-September/early-October that starts in Tokyo and ends in Osaka. Is there enough to do in Osaka to be worth spending an extra day or two? With the original itinerary, it's basically just traveling to Osaka to leave via the airport.

I think I'm going to be taking a tour in late-September/early-October that starts in Tokyo and ends in Osaka. Is there enough to do in Osaka to be worth spending an extra day or two? With the original itinerary, it's basically just traveling to Osaka to leave via the airport.

Is Osaka the only place you will be visiting in the Kansai region? I'm guessing you're visiting Kyoto as well, and just not including it in your trip to Osaka. Osaka specifically is probably only worth about a day, but you've got Kobe, Kyoto, and Nara all close by.

Quixzlizx

Is Osaka the only place you will be visiting in the Kansai region? I'm guessing you're visiting Kyoto as well, and just not including it in your trip to Osaka. Osaka specifically is probably only worth about a day, but you've got Kobe, Kyoto, and Nara all close by.

Yeah, the tour already has 4 nights in Kyoto. It just so happens that Osaka is the tour's departure point.

Top Bottom