• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese dungeon crawlers

lRGe6AOl.jpg

Deep Labyrinth. Never played that game but it was notable for being written and composed by Masato Kato and Yasunori Mitsuda, of Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross fame.

robotnik

tiBhUZ9.jpg

Nightmare Of Druaga's awesome. cheap PS2 game that nobody knows, got hammered for being a rogue-like in 2004 and everyone passed it up for being too hard. in reality, you can stay alive just by staying aware and intelligently using everything the game gives you and death is not nearly as bad as it seems at first.

also, it does amazing stuff if you try to cheat by resetting. Can't find a vid of it, but if you turn off or reset your ps2, the next time you play the game, a character gives you some serious shit for it. You get lectured and have to keep answering questions, like "do you promise not to trip on your power cord?" etc. Then it starts asking trick questions to make sure you're paying attention.

You have a couple chances to reset before consequences set in, which are the same as dying-- lose all un-inscribed items and half your gold. Better to save those chances in case of a power outage or something b/c like i said, death ain't no thing if you've got enough stuff inscribed and banked.
Looks like Brandish, which is a good thing! Also always was curious where came from these costumes and fan service items for Tales of series.

I'll be honest, the map drawing aspect of EO is one of the biggest draws of it to me. There are a lot of dungeon crawlers that auto map that I simply stopped playing because there was little else to draw me in. The map drawing is super damn fun for me.
Me too! Love to take a minute and draw something on my map.

I've been playing Demon Gaze here and there and I'm enjoying it. Still early on, but yeah. I also picked up the Shadow Tower PSOne Classic during the Holiday Sale a few weeks ago; it's quite fun but also very unforgiving.
Looking forward to your impressions ;)

Looks like Brandish, which is a good thing! Also always was curious where came from these costumes and fan service items for Tales of series.

It's a bit simpler and more straight forward than Brandish, I think. Sticks closer to Rogue for sure.

It's a direct sequel to Tower Of Druaga, which is an arcade dungeon crawler that was super popular in japan (and came out on Namco Vol.3 for the ps1 in the U.S.) Try Tower out if you really want to abuse yourself...an arcade rogue-ish game from 1984, what could go wrong :^) But that explains why you see lots of references to it in Namco games.

robotnik

I still want Shadow Tower Abyss to be in the new PS2-PS4 program.

Theresia has beautiful music, fantastic atmosphere in the trailer.
Maybe for japanese store. There is no official english release, so chance to receive it in english is very slim.

You should try it, especially if you like horror and suspense stories.

lRGe6AOl.jpg

Deep Labyrinth. Never played that game but it was notable for being written and composed by Masato Kato and Yasunori Mitsuda, of Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross fame.
Heard about it, but never played it too. Saw few trailers and it looked kinda dull, but still need to check it, can't go wrong with Mitsuda's OST.

Since you're already in to the Etrian games, I'd recommend trying out The Keep on 3DS. It's not Japanese at all, and has more in common with old PC dungeon crawlers like Stonekeep, but it's a lot of fun. (And only $8 on the eShop)

robotnik

It's a bit simpler and more straight forward than Brandish, I think. Sticks closer to Rogue for sure.

It's a direct sequel to Tower Of Druaga, which is an arcade dungeon crawler that was super popular in japan (and came out on Namco Vol.3 for the ps1 in the U.S.) Try Tower out if you really want to abuse yourself...an arcade rogue-ish game from 1984, what could go wrong :^) But that explains why you see lots of references to it in Namco games.
I think I'll stick to Nightmare of Druaga, hehe.

Buy a PS2 for Tale of the Forsaken Land. It's that good.
I'll probably. After I lose all my hopes on classics re-release :p

Since you're already in to the Etrian games, I'd recommend trying out The Keep on 3DS. It's not Japanese at all, and has more in common with old PC dungeon crawlers like Stonekeep, but it's a lot of fun. (And only $8 on the eShop)
Thanks, I'll add it to my growing list, but not sure when I'll try it since currently I'm more interested in japanese output.

I can vouch for Operation Abyss being good, especially seeing the rest of the games on your list that you liked (for comparison, particularly EO and DT2).

To be fair, I like Class of Heroes, but it's kind of a light game in comparison, which is intentional. It takes a bit of time to get going but it continues nicely from there, so maybe revisiting would be a good idea.

MrDoctor

For someone new to the genre are the Etrian Odyssey games a good place to start?
They're an entry point for many people. If you're looking for something recent, I recommend EOIV or Untold 2's Classic Mode. Always go with the hardest difficulty!

robotnik

I might be missing them but don't see SMT 3: Nocturne or SMT: IV in the list. Both are very good.
They are more full fledged JRPG, where dungeon crawling isn't main part of the game. First person view is optional for Nocturne and this option isn't available from the beginning as I remember.

It was localized, but SCEA rejected it. Same as what happened to Demon's Souls before Atlus stepped in.
Soul Hackers too. What's wrong with them?

For someone new to the genre are the Etrian Odyssey games a good place to start?
I started with first EO back then. EO4 is also good entry point.

I can vouch for Operation Abyss being good, especially seeing the rest of the games on your list that you liked (for comparison, particularly EO and DT2).

To be fair, I like Class of Heroes, but it's kind of a light game in comparison, which is intentional. It takes a bit of time to get going but it continues nicely from there, so maybe revisiting would be a good idea.
Victor Ireland plans to release third installment, so maybe I'll give it another chance.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I played two of them this year:

Brandish (PSP) - It was fantastic. Everything about it was. Please give me more games like this, Falcom.

Operation Abyss (Vita) - It was horrible. I kinda knew as soon as I got into the first battle that I was going to be bored out of my mind, and I was. Boring dungeon layouts, boring fights, boring BORING BOOOOORRRRRRIIIIIINNNNNGGGG. Blech.

Operation Abyss was enough to make me not want to play any dungeon crawlers for a while.

oreshika 1 & 2 are dungeon crawling

Seconding Oreshika, but it might be a little lighter than you want. Only really played the second one (I played a little of the first, but not much) and the dungeons are fairly simplistic, plus you're a bit time limited with them due to how the game works.

Dark Spire is best served bumped higher in your To Do list---while the game itself is punishing and very much an acquired taste....the OST is Greater Than Great to the point of perhaps towering over everything else for the hardware outright.

Sneaky rec: Head to the more Southern of Americas for some Mazes of Fate on the GBA and DS---has quirks unto itself aside from blending classic "Western" and "Eastern" takes on the dungeon crawler notions.

cj_iwakura

I'll probably. After I lose all my hopes on classics re-release :p

Give it up. Let me put that higher on your list.
Luna Light Bar
Virtue of Modesty

It also has a fantastic story. It is, without exception, the best dungeon crawler ever made.
wiz_6.jpg

Difficult, rewarding, absolutely captivating.

Some of my other favorites: The Dark Spire, Etrian Odyssey(the original, not the remake), Legend of Grimrock, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers(my third favorite SMT game behind Nocturne and P2), Elminage Original(very, very underrated, and better than Gothic), Phantasy Star I, Shining The Holy Ark.

Dingens

[...]
Plan to play in the future:
[...]
Beyond the Labyrinth
[...]

I wonder how many people on gaf or rather how many people in general beat that game (besides me).

I'm not sure if I'd recommend it or not...

If you speak japanese than it's way easier to recommend, because the story, even though there is very little of it, is kinda touching and interesting. especial the ending is quite sad... So if you don't read any japanese, you'd be missing out on what I'd consider this games strong point.

The combat system is really challenging but can get repetitive very quickly. So, at least for me, gameplay wasn't what kept me going.

the presentation is kinda awesome though. Being an early 3ds game it is rough at times, but the atmosphere is quite eerie, which I loved. also I really liked the animations on the girl character and the design of some of the floors.

I wish they'd have gone back and tried again, fixed a few issues and gave us a successor or something.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There's nothing quite like a Sega first person dungeon crawler. Shining in the Darkess is one of my favorite Genesis games, and Shining the Holy Ark was superb.

I recently purchased Legend of Grimlock, and it just falls short for me.

The Dark Spire is such a little know gem, maybe because it wasn't released in Europe, but man what a punishing game, I found it harder than Etrian Odyssey, people who want a challengue should give it a try.

1upsuper

This is one of my favorite game genres! Happy to see more fans.

I know you said that you're mainly looking at Japanese games, but at some point you will want to segue into the early Western stuff that inspired them. Once you play Elminage Original (and make sure you download the patch!), the later Japanese Wizardry titles, or The Dark Spire, you'll be ready to transition to the early Wizardry titles without too much trouble. There are Japanese ports and remakes of the early Wizardry titles, and some of those are great, especially coming from a JRPG dungeon crawler background. If you want to play Wizardry 1-3, check out Story of Llylgamyn for the Super Famicom. It's a compilation of the first three with a graphical overhaul superior to the SNES port of Wiz 5 (which still isn't bad). You can import your characters in 2 and 3 from 1 within Story, but it's not necessary, because they reworked enemy scaling, and each game can be played on its own. Also note that for whatever reason it's tradition in Japanese ports to swap the order of Wizardry 2 and 3, so you should play The Knight of Diamonds after Proving Grounds if you want to go in order.

Wizardry IV is the black sheep of the series and it only received a single remake, which was on the Saturn, IIRC. 5 is playable on the SNES and VI on the SFC, but starting with VII you'll be stepping outside of familiar territory and you'll have to switch to PC.

After Wizardry, you may want to move onto Ultima and Might & Magic, but you'll pretty much have to stick to PC with those since they didn't get the same treatment Wizardry did in Japan.

I hope this isn't totally worthless and you'll consider looking into the earlier Wiz titles. You might be surprised at how strictly some Japanese developers have stuck to the Western Wiz formula, particularly with titles like The Dark Spire, Elminage, the PS2 Wizardry titles, and to a lesser extent, Class of Heroes.

MrDoctor

Wizardry IV is the black sheep of the series and it only received a single remake, which was on the Saturn, IIRC. 5 is playable on the SNES and VI on the SFC, but starting with VII you'll be stepping outside of familiar territory and you'll have to switch to PC.
Wizardry IV is part of New Age of Llylgamyn on PSX. There's also a PCE version.

Link1110

Well, since you mentioned VI for sfc, don't forget the Japan only release of VII on Playstation 1. So you only need a PC for 8.

robotnik

Dark Spire is best served bumped higher in your To Do list---while the game itself is punishing and very much an acquired taste....the OST is Greater Than Great to the point of perhaps towering over everything else for the hardware outright.

Sneaky rec: Head to the more Southern of Americas for some Mazes of Fate on the GBA and DS---has quirks unto itself aside from blending classic "Western" and "Eastern" takes on the dungeon crawler notions.
Mazes of Fate looks good. What is the difference between GBA and DS versions?

Give it up. Let me put that higher on your list.
Luna Light Bar
Virtue of Modesty

It also has a fantastic story. It is, without exception, the best dungeon crawler ever made.
wiz_6.jpg

Difficult, rewarding, absolutely captivating.

Some of my other favorites: The Dark Spire, Etrian Odyssey(the original, not the remake), Legend of Grimrock, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers(my third favorite SMT game behind Nocturne and P2), Elminage Original(very, very underrated, and better than Gothic), Phantasy Star I, Shining The Holy Ark.
Plan list in random order. I equally interested in all of them.

I wonder how many people on gaf or rather how many people in general beat that game (besides me).

I'm not sure if I'd recommend it or not...

If you speak japanese than it's way easier to recommend, because the story, even though there is very little of it, is kinda touching and interesting. especial the ending is quite sad... So if you don't read any japanese, you'd be missing out on what I'd consider this games strong point.

The combat system is really challenging but can get repetitive very quickly. So, at least for me, gameplay wasn't what kept me going.

the presentation is kinda awesome though. Being an early 3ds game it is rough at times, but the atmosphere is quite eerie, which I loved. also I really liked the animations on the girl character and the design of some of the floors.

I wish they'd have gone back and tried again, fixed a few issues and gave us a successor or something.
There is translation patch - https://gbatemp.net/threads/translation-labyrinth-no-kanata-beyond-the-labyrinth.379598/
Hopefully more people will play it.
But I don't want to downgrade my 3ds in order to install cfw and will play it in japanese.

No, it's a top down dungeon crawler, there's no permadeath which is a requirement.
I'm not an expert in this genre, but there is good article on wiki and mystery dungeon games are mentioned there - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

This is one of my favorite game genres! Happy to see more fans.

I know you said that you're mainly looking at Japanese games, but at some point you will want to segue into the early Western stuff that inspired them. Once you play Elminage Original (and make sure you download the patch!), the later Japanese Wizardry titles, or The Dark Spire, you'll be ready to transition to the early Wizardry titles without too much trouble. There are Japanese ports and remakes of the early Wizardry titles, and some of those are great, especially coming from a JRPG dungeon crawler background. If you want to play Wizardry 1-3, check out Story of Llylgamyn for the Super Famicom. It's a compilation of the first three with a graphical overhaul superior to the SNES port of Wiz 5 (which still isn't bad). You can import your characters in 2 and 3 from 1 within Story, but it's not necessary, because they reworked enemy scaling, and each game can be played on its own. Also note that for whatever reason it's tradition in Japanese ports to swap the order of Wizardry 2 and 3, so you should play The Knight of Diamonds after Proving Grounds if you want to go in order.

After Wizardry, you may want to move onto Ultima and Might & Magic, but you'll pretty much have to stick to PC with those since they didn't get the same treatment Wizardry did in Japan.

I hope this isn't totally worthless and you'll consider looking into the earlier Wiz titles. You might be surprised at how strictly some Japanese developers have stuck to the Western Wiz formula, particularly with titles like The Dark Spire, Elminage, the PS2 Wizardry titles, and to a lesser extent, Class of Heroes.
Thanks for useful comment! I'm indeed considering it, but only after I finish with games on my plan list. Not to mention I play games in other genres too. So it could take a lot of time sadly.

MaxDOL

Which one is the easiest to get into among Stranger of sword city,Operation Abyss and Ray Giant.
I want dungeon crawler experience for my Vita but have enough time for only one game.
If

robotnik

Which one is the easiest to get into among Stranger of sword city,Operation Abyss and Ray Giant.
I want dungeon crawler experience for my Vita but have enough time for only one game.
If
Ray Gigant for sure. Or already released Demon Gaze.

Damaniel

Banned
tiBhUZ9.jpg

Nightmare Of Druaga's awesome. cheap PS2 game that nobody knows, got hammered for being a rogue-like in 2004 and everyone passed it up for being too hard. in reality, you can stay alive just by staying aware and intelligently using everything the game gives you and death is not nearly as bad as it seems at first.

Druaga doesn't fit into the first person style dungeon crawler category, but it's a really good game nonetheless, especially for those who like roguelikes. I thought I was the only person in the US who actually cared about this game (and probably one of the few that owns it) - in fact, I think that IGN was the only site/magazine to review it originally, and it got a pretty low score.

But there is automapping. It works for tiles you stepped on and walls you passed by.

I'm more interested in japanese branch. Someday maybe.
This may be true but while I haven't beaten the game yet, there are some maps that seem practically impossible to beat without taking your time to make notes. Thanks to this, I'd really hesitate to call the map making optional. The game is still awesome, though, I really need to get my act together and beat it sometime.

Mazes of Fate looks good. What is the difference between GBA and DS versions?

Different visual style/overhaul, some maps changed, extra bits wrangled, bugfixes hopefully not introducing new ones---at least different, potentially better to taste.

More important/depressingly: From digging around from the above info as it had been awhile and my own memories are GBA-based---it looks like they were at some stage of working on a full on sequel for the Gamecube that sadly never made it to release. :/

Syril

The Dark Spire is such a little know gem, maybe because it wasn't released in Europe, but man what a punishing game, I found it harder than Etrian Odyssey, people who want a challengue should give it a try.

The Dark Spire is so hardcore it even has a graphics option to make it look like the original Wizardry games.
dark-spire-retro.jpg

There's nothing quite like a Sega first person dungeon crawler. Shining in the Darkess is one of my favorite Genesis games, and Shining the Holy Ark was superb.

Yes ! You know it !

Sonic! Software Planning / Camelot's games have a unique charm to them. I've always been utterly in love with their rich, pre-rendered Saturn-era aesthetic. I mean, just look at it <3
There's an elementary simplicity to it all, Euro fantasy 101 meets Japanese fantasy 101, but in a hand-crafted and very tangible way.
Their character sprites always looked like little figurines that might be actually played with in a tabletop RPG board game.
And their cover art, it makes me think video games took a wrong fork in the road. We had it all figured out back in 1996 :

I can only dream of SEGA & M2 teaming up for a classic era Shining Collection. Wisdom, Ark and III rejuvenated in HD would be something else.

robotnik

And their cover art, it makes me think video games took a wrong fork in the road. We had it all figured out back in 1996 :

I can only dream of SEGA & M2 teaming up for a classic era Shining Collection. Wisdom, Ark and III rejuvenated in HD would be something else.
Very impressive :O
Too bad Camelot's creating Mario golf or tennis without breaks.

Different visual style/overhaul, some maps changed, extra bits wrangled, bugfixes hopefully not introducing new ones---at least different, potentially better to taste.

More important/depressingly: From digging around from the above info as it had been awhile and my own memories are GBA-based---it looks like they were at some stage of working on a full on sequel for the Gamecube that sadly never made it to release. :/
Checked trailers for both versions and I prefer GBA version too.

I've only gotten into this genre in recent years, but I've grown to really enjoy them. Shadow Tower: Abyss is on of my favorite games on the PS2, it's criminal that of all From Soft's dungeon crawlers that was the one to never receive an official English release.

I'm eagerly looking forward to the English release of Stranger of Sword City as well as info about Kadokawa's supposed Cthulhu Mythos based DRPG.

Very impressive :O
Too bad Camelot's creating Mario golf or tennis without breaks.

It's sad to contemplate. Especially if much of the original Shining staff are still at Camelot.

My dream game from Camelot, providing they're still up to it, would be an RPG that tells the Arthurian legend - beginning with The Sword in the Stone.

They call themselves Camelot, after all. :)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I can't find a better thread to post this in, the first person dungeon crawlers community is archived, I can't post there so this will do.

This isn't actually Japanese but is obviously inspired by the King's Field series and looks aaawesome.

They haven't released a new video in ages but they do show progress since.

screenshot17.png
screenshot19.png
screenshot6.png
screenshot3.png

Last edited:

buizel

Banned
japanese dungeon crawling peaked at might and magic on nes (yes its a port, but jp dev'd)

Might_and_Magic_-_NES_-_Town.png

nowadays its basically numbers & tits

Top Bottom