• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Happy Science Cult has an Idol Group

Aizo

Banned
I've been to the Happy Science HQ in London.

Their teachings are called 'reigen', or spirit messages, which are said to be divined by the 'Master' Okawa.

Okawa can also receive messages from people who aren't deceased (through a living person's spirit guides) and has written a book professing to detail message from Putin, and also Trump.

They are big supporters of Trump. I asked why this was and they said because 'he can get things done and bring peace to the world.' I asked why they support Trump over Obama, and they said Obama was 'too peaceful'.

I actually have the book they released, of Trump's spiritual messages. (To clarify, it is the book in the OP) It's amazingly hilarious (the book is basically a transcript of Okawa's dialogue claiming to be Trump's spirit guides (and it speaks like him)). I can post some excerpts if anyone is up for a laugh.
Excerpts please.
I've seen many of their churches across Japan in several different prefectures, but I've never wanted to genuinely go in. You went all the way haha...ha... ha?

So I know about a marriage that has been ruined because of someone joining this cult.
Go on...

Grand, I'll post some excerpts as soon as I unpack my boxes (just moved).

As an aside, Okawa/Happy Science is in the Guiness Book of World Records for number of books published. The group's publishing arm is immense. And following one of Okawa's spiritual message recitations, his words are transcribed, edited, and printed (and in the shops) often within 24 hours, workers in the publishing arm are said to get very little sleep.

eBfvAnL.gif

Dingens

couldn't they at least have gotten a few better looking idols?
I can't say I feel very compelled to join their cult yet.
Try again

I translated this thing from the first person date video and did really crappy editing in MS Paint for you all.
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/TPqNenE.png[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/ogKr7HL.png[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/EvvhjA0.png[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/OdgRH5j.png[/img][img]http://i.imgur.com/GiO1chs.png[/img]

Good enough for a lot of people on GAF.

PInk Tape

Banned
The song sounds so creepy too. Even if the OP omitted that this group was started by a cult the song itself emits those kinda vibes tbqh.

Poppy

honestly i love learning about this kind of insane bullshit, being a cult leader is such a weird thing to do and being a cultist is even weirder

i dislike that it probably has negative effects on peoples lives but man it is so out there

Parilord

Neo Member
Was actually just reading about the cosmology of bokononism in Cat's Cradle, and the beliefs of these people read exactly like that. Seriously had a moment where I wasn't conscious of whether I was reading the book or not, which was a very strange experience.

What an extreme coincidence. Perhaps this is my first vin-dit...

This is great.

E: I feel this is as good a time as any to introduce people with AnimeGAF's definitive Anime List.
Happy Science films are a core component.

This is a joke list, right? The inclusion of a shitload of shitty 90s OVAs, the Big Green DBZ dub and fucking Blood-C should make it obvious enough, but the inclusion of Code Geass throws me. I mean, I know that show is garbage, but too many people hold it in high regard for it to not make me assume that it's inclusion, and therefore the entire list, is genuine...

Huh, this Ookawa Ryuhou guy is giving a talk in Toronto soon, lol...just saw a poster on the subway. It had my man in a business suit with a huge golden sash, promising that we'd all understand happiness if we went to his seminar.

JCG

This is a joke list, right? The inclusion of a shitload of shitty 90s OVAs, the Big Green DBZ dub and fucking Blood-C should make it obvious enough, but the inclusion of Code Geass throws me. I mean, I know that show is garbage, but too many people hold it in high regard for it to not make me assume that it's inclusion, and therefore the entire list, is genuine...

That list is mainly concerned with including a bunch of shows that are crazy or provoke reactions for various reasons. It just so happens that most of them are bad shows, but at least a couple are arguably good. From that perspective, Code Geass would easily qualify among the latter (as in "insane and polarizing" but not necessarily "terrible"). After all, it is still a pretty common anime recommendation among many mainstream circles and thus way more likely to be legit appreciated by normal people, to a greater or lesser extent, unlike almost everything else on the list. So it's the other way around. Another one that's more controversial than inherently or universally seen as bad would be Samurai Flamenco.

Forkball

Wasn't there some 18 year old idol who recently joined a cult? Or is this that same story? Or are there MULTIPLE cult idol groups running about?

Aizo

Banned
Wasn't there some 18 year old idol who recently joined a cult? Or is this that same story? Or are there MULTIPLE cult idol groups running about?
I believe she was an actress who quit the industry to join the cult. There are people making jokes about it on the first page.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Got misty-eyed at the quote in the OP because it read like an old Hitokage post in animegaf until I saw the last line and realized that wait, that's.....me?

Holy crap, I actually used to be able to write more than two sentences at a time.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Happy Science is virulently anti-Chinese and routinely raises the specter of Chinese subjugation of Japan in its tracts and fictional works, so Trump is a dream come true for them, especially since their ideology already aligns so much with American religious neoconservatism to begin with.

CorvoSol

Watch the Happy Science movies and you will understand.

Don't fucking lie to these people, Theonik. I watched all of those movies and you know what I understand?

THAT AT SOME POINT IN HISTORY CAT PEOPLE ROAD SPACEBOARDS THROUGH THE SKY AND CHASED FUCKIN' DINOSAURS.

I don't even remember the eschatological placement of like the last two. There's one where a guy who is supposed to be Buddha shows all of Japan that the giant tsunami coming is a fucking VR image but that doesn't matter because THE NEXT SCENE IS A FUCKING ALIEN INVASION.

The last movie is some weird as fuck action movie where the CIA and the Chinese are fighting and I guess like a Professor of Religion is the star? I don't know.

One of those movies has Goddamn Nietzche in it just SCREAMING GOD IS DEAD but that's all he says. The whole time.

What I can't remember now is if this shit is the same people as The Crystal Triangle, where God turned out to be like a larval embryo on a spaceship.

God dammit getting years old List Flashbacks here.

Theonik

The list is about experiences, not shit anime. Not exclusively.
Code Geass brings the bants. We do not mean to bring suffering, not exclusively. Just entertainment.

List is invalid due to no M.D. Geist.
The list gets re-written all the time. Maybe you can convince the committee on its inclusion.
But. I should say, M.D. Geist is a masterpiece and I'd be hard pressed to add it on there. It doesn't deserve this.

Don't fucking lie to these people, Theonik. I watched all of those movies and you know what I understand?
*snip*
You are doing El Cantare's work on selling those people on the films you know.

Keasar

I didn't understand a word of it but even I could say that music was awful.

I wonder when these religions are gonna start popping up at such a rate that you can have conventions for them:
X0PaigW.jpg

Top Bottom