• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese newspaper rumor: redesigned Vita unveiling just before TGS

Cube

Honestly, design the controls for games and give me a Bluetooth accessory and everything will be fine as far as I'm concerned.

$h@d0w

Everyone wanted a PSP + Phone and Sony tested the market with Xperia Play - no one bloody bought it.

I'm not surprised they aren't rushing to make Xperia Vita.

Yasumi

Banned
I always wonder why people have this reaction. Are you actually happy that this news isn't true? I have a launch unit and would be interested pending the changes.

It was more that the news had spread so far without any actual source or confirmation, and the-magicbox finally updated to reflect that. A new Vita model would be neat.

Atolm

So this was a fake. Not surprising. A redesigned Vita is coming afaik, but it has nothing to do with this one or with people expectations. Cheaper model to reduce production costs and that's it.

PD: Mods, I have good sources, feel free to PM me if you want.

you know why 3d gaming sucks on phones these days?

battery life.

You can play 3-5 hours at most for some high graphics unreal 3 game... but then your phone is completely dead, and in this age, no phone = youarealreadydead.jpg

one of the main reasons why i got an ipad, so i can play ios stuff without killing my phone's battery.

vivftp

It would have to be dual boot... and no one will like that, at least on the phone where... ideally you would like to receive calls, then again you can already receive texts on the Vita OS.

Devices already exist where you can simultaneously run Windows and Android, so I have to wonder just how much harder it'd be to run Android and Vita OS at the same time. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqRq-0oxSyI

How are they going to integrate controls? The biggest problem of adding controls to any kind of mobile or a tablet is how do you keep it ergonomic for both playing games and talking on the phone while not looking stupid (ie ngage). Xperia Play is kinda fine but it does make the device fatter and doesn't allow for analogue sticks. Of course they could make like any normal Xperia phone and it would come with the controller addon, ala that iOS thing.

I don't think integrating controls is going to be much of an issue. Look at the dimensions I posted to get an idea of just how far things have progressed. The Xperia Z Ultra is nearly 1/3rd the thickness of the Vita, and I don't doubt it's a fair bit more powerful and has a considerably larger battery. If they were to go with modern hardware for a Vita phone it could be extremely thin for the processor/memory/battery part, leaving more space for the controls. Xperia Play control style would probably be the best compromise as there is no specific control scheme that will 100% work because of the Vitas rear touchpad. Instead of analog sticks or the touchpads of the Xperia Play, use something like the nubs from PSP. It still gives you something to move about and actually feel, but still remains nice and thin.

Given how things have progressed, I don't see why they couldn't create a Vita phone that's in the area of 10-12mm. The Xperia Play was 16mm and was quite bulky, even for its time. But a dual boot Android/Vita OS smartphone with decent physical controls able to apply them to both Android and Vita/PSP/PS1/PSM games? That thing will sell like hotcakes IMO.

Sonys Xperia line are producing quality products so let them take care of the phone design and whatnot. This could be the greatest portable gaming device in history given all it could do. Hell, I'm sure the emulator crowd on Android would lap that up in a heartbeat.

If I had to give a reason as to why Sony hasn't produced such a device? I guess the possibilities are:

1) They realize a Vita OS only phone won't sell that much due to lack of app ecosystem
2) They realize that a Vita OS and Android phone will be much better, and it's taking time to build it
3) They have spent all this time locking down Vita OS, and introducing a foriegn OS coudl pose a security risk that throws all their safety measures out the window and opens the floodgates to pirates. Either they're working on a way around it, or they don't want to compromise their OS and have forgotten about it.

That's my best guess on that.

SnakeEyes

Banned
It's happening...

psp2-concept2.jpg
I remember seeing this a couple of years ago, I think it was just a concept design for what eventually became the PSP Go?

Ty4on

Look at the newly launched Xperia Z Ultra as a perfect example. It's got the uber powerful S800 processor, 2 gigs of RAM, a 3000mAh battery and a 6.4" 1080p display, and it's just 6.5mm thick. Vita has a less advanced processor, 512 megs of RAM, 128 megs of VRAM, a 2200mAh battery, a 960xx544 screen, and it's 18.6mm thick.

Of course I won't deny that one is an EXTREMELY high end smartphone that commands a premium price, and the other is supposed to be a mainstream gaming device sold at a much lower price. Even still, it just shows how much they can stuff into a far thinner form factor if they put their minds to it. If they decided to build a Vita phone it could be extremely thin (compared to Vita itself), have a larger battery and would likely be quite popular. A Vita tablet could be amazing as well if they use the Xperia Tablet Z as a starting point at just 6.9mm thick.

Heat output. A smartphone is designed for bursts of power and will not run at the advertised speed for long. The Vita has to run on max load for hours and never become uncomfortable to the user. Some smartphones get hot to the touch by browsing the web and will overheat in games.

They could stuff more into the shell (like a bigger battery), but I would never trade away having the hot parts in the middle far from my fingers.
CPQBtcyVxOTjsgDg.medium

balohna

A hardware redesign after a shaky first year is actually pretty smart. Look at the original DS. Plus if they can make it cheaper and get rid of the stupid proprietary memory sticks... all the better.

vivftp

Heat output. A smartphone is designed for bursts of power and will not run at the advertised speed for long. The Vita has to run on max load for hours and never become uncomfortable to the user. Some smartphones get hot to the touch by browsing the web and will overheat in games.

They could stuff more into the shell (like a bigger battery), but I would never trade away having the hot parts in the middle far from my fingers.
CPQBtcyVxOTjsgDg.medium

Yeah, that's another factor I suppose. I do wonder how the S800 processor handles such things.

I guess the next question is, could they use something like the Qualcomm S800 CPU and Adreno 330 GPU to do Vita games? Would it be compatible? Would it actually be powerful enough? IF something like the S800 and its GPU were more than powerful enough, maybe they could just downclock it a bit to tone down the overheating?

Ah well, this is still my dream phone, but who knows if/when it will ever happen :( I'll still be getting Honami as soon as it's released and if this ever does happen, I'll likely get that too :)

Um, redesign is nice and all, but what about the memory sticks? Honestly, that's all I care about.

Hope it has internal memory + current memory sticks as optional!

But...

...I won't be surprised if Sony develops a whole new proprietary memory stick for it and charge even more. :(

vivftp

I dream of them releasing a 128 gig Vita memory card. I wonder if it's even technically possible. Even if they were to release something like that, I bet it'd cost over $200... but I'd strongly consider it damnit! :)

Ty4on

Yeah, that's another factor I suppose. I do wonder how the S800 processor handles such things.

I guess the next question is, could they use something like the Qualcomm S800 CPU and Adreno 330 GPU to do Vita games? Would it be compatible? Would it actually be powerful enough? IF something like the S800 and its GPU were more than powerful enough, maybe they could just downclock it a bit to tone down the overheating?

I don't think so. The Vita games are made specifically for the Cortex A9 and several probably use tricks that only works with it, but I'm not an ARM expert at all. The GPU also has some special features so what I'd hope for would be a smaller node (think it's 40nm). The A9 isn't that slow though, the iPhone 4S, iPad Mini and iPad 2 all use a dual core A9 while the Vita has a quad core.

weevles

It's too early to redesign Vita.

IIRC PSP was redesigned 3 years after launch.

Vita itself is a wish list of things PSP should have been.

They just need to cut the price and lay out a few more exclusive titles that will help drive the system.

vivftp

Yeah, but then again this is new and improved Sony under Kaz Hirai where he's shaking up things. We can't use the actions of Sony of old to judge what Sony of now will do. Gaming and Mobile are two of their 3 core pillars and Vita (and by extension Vita phone and Vita tablet) are where those two divisions meet up on the hardware front.

Plus as was mentioned the release of the PS4 is a perfect opportunity to release a more appropriate companion handheld to go with it. Vita is damned good, but there is always room for improvement.

I want to get the new Tablet Z refresh that should be announced next month, but if they were to use their tablet designs and make a Vita tablet I'd be ALL over that.

Oooo... wonder if a Vita refresh could be water resistant since Sony is making damned near everything water resistant these days.

xist

It's happening...

I'm pretty sure that was fan concept art hinting at what people wanted in the PSP2. It's certainly been circulating since 2009, with all the verified Sony updates for their portables (at that time) pointing towards the PSP Go (which appeared to have dual sticks like the Vita at one point)

Can Sony successfully divide their time between the PS4 and a Vita product refresh and have both succeed to their expectations? Sounds tough.

Today's presser has me scratching my head about this rumor. It wouldn't be insane to drop the price of the existing unit before releasing a new XL one...but...something about this seems fishy.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Today's presser has me scratching my head about this rumor. It wouldn't be insane to drop the price of the existing unit before releasing a new XL one...but...something about this seems fishy.
It's already been proven to be fake a million times in this thread, including the edited OP post, not sure why this isn't locked yet.

joeblow

A new Vita model has been announced (NeoGAF official thread). Let's see how close was the original rumor was when posted by The Magic Box a month ago. The Japanese newspaper Tokyo Keizai reported a rumor that...

- Sony is set to reveal a new PS Vita model in September before the Tokyo Game Show.
(True)

- The new model PCH-2000 will have a 6.3" display manufactured by Samsung (screen size of the current model is 5"),
(False, but it is true that the OLED was ditched.... 1/4th point credit)

- The resolution will remain at 960 x 554 pixels.
(Typo on the numbers, but true that the rez stays the same)

- The amount of RAM will increase from 512MB to 1GB
(True)

The amount of RAM used by games will be unchanged
(True).

- The design of the new model will be more in-line with the PS4 design;
(False. Unless they meant Vita TV which I guess is still false)

- The system will launch with new game titles.
(Eight Vita games come out on 10/10/13, only one of which is a new, native title. 1/8th point credit)

~~~

So, the final score is 5.4 out of 8.0. Not CBoaT worthy, but I think the rumor source was on to something even if some details were wrong.

Rubeus

The rumor came from TOYO Keizai, not Tokyo Keizai, but it was only on newspaper not in their website, so no one was able to verify the source. I saw this rumor posted on A9VG forum too.

Top Bottom