• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Reactions to the Ghost in the Shell (2017) Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlauv

Well, the movie simply isn't made for them or made by them. It's made by Americans (I think) for an American audience. Our ethnic makeup is far more complex and deserves more catering to.

Cipherr

Desperate dudes still licking their wounds over this flick bombing so damn hard?

Using 'SJW' unironically?

Stay salty man. I mean, asking two Japanese people about the film isn't going to reverse this movies fortune, so I don't know what you are looking for here. The markets that matter (both domestic and international at this point) have made their opinion on this film known whether you like it or not.

The only thing more ridiculous than the OP:s thoughts or that one japanese person ends all debate is that the shallow tween “my first philosophy” of dank anime wasn't captured properly because "Hollywood".

I am trying to think what would have happened if they'd have cast a Chinese or Korean actress like what was done with Memoirs of a Geisha. Would it be no different to the castings of George Lazenby or Pierce Brosnan as Bond?

It might be a uncanny valley argument that could be made. We're more annoyed and disturbed by things that are closer to us in various ways, but we for whatever become uncomfortable with the small differences from how it really would be. The small differences are magnified and enlarged and they become annoying. Where as if we have a version or interpretation that is further distanced from us; more rapidly different or a stylized, we have a capacity to accept it as something different.

Perhaps what would trigger many asians is if foreigners think that all asians are the same, right? As in many people in the audience might not be ignorant about the difference between the differences between Koreans and Japanese, and not knowing the difference or the fear of being thought of as someone else is not fun.
For example most of my eastern European friends would take offense if you mistook them from Russians. Albeit, it is not easy for people not accustomed to the region to visible see the difference between a Russian and a Lithuanian.

When it comes to story, there is an argument that you could make, that taking a story, and removing it completely from its culture, origin and sense of self can make it better. Fables are excellent deconstructed example of stories with a human morale, attached on to animals. By making animals the character of the story, people are more predisposed to accept the morale and wisdom of the story, than they would have been, had it been told through a cultural vacuum of its original origin point in various cultures.

But in the context of hollywood it's a tricky situation. Personally I've been humbled but also angry. Oldboy to me is an example of a film I just hated and didn't want to give a chance. I still don't see the value in that remake. The original is perfectly excellent as is. The remake serves no value other than to take focus away from a modern, relevant and important cinema masterpiece.
What would it have taken for me to accept and love the remake?

I had the same debacle with The Departed. Infernal Affairs was one of my favorite surprises. I was blown away by it, and only a few months after I saw it, the remake was announced, and it just seemed so pointless. But with the Departed I reconciled that the Western Version stands up to the original. It simply is a fantastic movie, although it's the same story. It's a testament to how well it was that, I still didn't saw the ending coming, even though it's exactly as in the original.

I'm a fan of cultural appropriation in the sense that I think most of our greatest things ever made have come from things that have been remixed. There is nothing wrong with taking a story like Heart of Darkness and putting it down on a film about the vietnam war. There is nothing wrong with being inspired by taking a Japanese film like Rashomon and putting the story structure down on a Chinese film about the Qin Dynasty.
The problem with appropriation (as far as I can tell) is when you get a situation where the remake or reinterpretation serves no purpose beyond stealing it without it offering something new. Infernal Affairs and The Departed are the same story, but there are subplots and various subplots and themes in the Departed that make you think that the story was made to be about Irish mafia and immigration in America. It doesn't feel shoehorned at all.
Appropriation discussions get messy because we're often arguing different things. But everything is remixed from other cultures. But at the same time, it'd be insane to deny that there isn't "Eminem" situations all around us.

kmax

Thanks to the cultural and historical tensions in East Asia, Japanese people in general would be more offended if an asian American (that wasn't of Japanese origin) played a Japanese person than, say a white or a black American.

That's just how it is over there, and it's different from our perspective. For most of us (not all of course), there's no problem if a white person played a white person, or a black person played a black person, regardless of nationality.

It's interesting, to say the least.

Theecliff

Banned
Haven't not seen the movie I can't say how much they touched on identity politics, but from my perspective I worked on a cyberpunk video game which the inherent premise of the game was bodies were disposable and consciousness were interchangeable between sex and race. It wasn't really a character driven game so we didn't really dig into the premise of what truly is an identity if bodies are interchangeable but there's different room for it on film or a more character driven game.

I may ramble here but I guess my point is, even disregarding the
body/consciousness
point I made above is there something inherent in her character that dictates she must be Asian?

I'm not attached to GITS in the slightest but it's an interesting social construct where someone like Superman is iconic and recognizable character associated as muscle bound Caucasian, black and blue eyes. There'd likely be a fairly big uproar (probably from myself included) if he was depicted on film as anything else.

Perry White is recast as black in Man of Steel? no big deal, his race isn't associated with his character.

Is Scarlett Johanson's character inherently Asian? to the point her
manufactured body
must be too?

For some, perhaps she is as iconicly Asian as Superman is Caucasian but I don't think she is globally or at least in the US.

Was there this much controversy with the 2013 remake of Old Boy with Josh Brolin? should their have been?
you're right in that race shouldn't define some of these characters, but there's a reason why changing a side character from white to minority is a hell of a lot different to recasting a main character the other way round. as mentioned in my previous post there's a historical precedent for a lack of minority roles and other cases of whitewashing in western media. so whilst recasting a character who's mostly been seen as white as a minority may cause a bit of controversy, it's ultimately a better step than recasting a minority role with . one is giving more minority representation that's been severely lacking, the other is taking away some of the few opportunities a minority actor might have in getting a role. if the way race has been represented in media had been totally fair and proportional up until this point i could see why swapping out any race/gender of a character would be equally fair whichever way it is done - but up until now it absolutely hasn't been.

and - spoilers - to answer your question about johansson's character:
yes, she's inherently asian. the big 'twist' in the film is that her ghost/consciousness was from a japanese teenage girl who -sigh- was called motoko (i.e. the original name of the character). this is how the film internalised the whitewashing argument into it's plot.

Ratrat

Well, the movie simply isn't made for them or made by them. It's made by Americans (I think) for an American audience. Our ethnic makeup is far more complex and deserves more catering to.
The international market is the only thing preventing this from being a complete disaster. China and Japan will be the biggest factors there.

Trokil

Banned
That's just how it is over there, and it's different from our perspective. For most of us (not all of course), there's no problem if a white person played a white person, or a black person played a black person, regardless of nationality.

The last part is not true, a lot of people in Africa don't like it, when Americans or English play Africans. So that is not that easy as well.

"I heard people in the U.S. wanted an Asian actress to play her," he said. "Would that be OK if she was Asian or Asian-American? Honestly, that would be worse, someone from another Asian country pretending to be Japanese. Better just to make the character white."
What an idiot.

kmax

The last part is not true, a lot of people in Africa don't like it, when Americans or English play Africans. So that is not that easy as well.

I'm specifically speaking about people here in the west. I can't speak for the people in Africa.

Volimar

There has been some pushback against it in the US as well in recent years, given films like Captain Phillips that showcased African actors so well.

dlauv

The international market is the only thing preventing this from being a complete disaster. China and Japan will be the biggest factors there.

I understand that. I just wish they would see it from the perspective of understanding the auteurs' culture.

But that's what happens when art is also an entertainment product I guess.

Skittles

Slightly? Have you seen the numbers on the international market? Ghost will probably make more than twice of the money Power Rangers did and that with a very bad result in the US.

That is some serious star power.
I did, Gits is only 7 mil ahead of Power rangers.

Saya

"I heard people in the U.S. wanted an Asian actress to play her," he said. "Would that be OK if she was Asian or Asian-American? Honestly, that would be worse, someone from another Asian country pretending to be Japanese. Better just to make the character white."

White is always seen as the default, isn't it?

Cipherr

Yeah I feel like its international numbers are being praised waaaay to easily here. Its still a humongous brick. International isnt 'saving' this film. They are planning a 80m loss or somewhere in there on this.

Playing, "Who's the bigger bomba" doesn't really help anyone here.

Trokil

Banned

Power Rangers:
Domestic: $75,095,645 64.1%
+ Foreign: $42,100,000 35.9%

Ghost in The Shell:
Domestic: $31,529,863 25.4%
+ Foreign: $92,800,000 74.6%

And the gap will get bigger very, very fast.

Yeah I feel like its international numbers are being praised waaaay to easily here. Its still a humongous brick. International isnt 'saving' this film. They are planning a 80m loss or somewhere in there on this.

Ghostbusters 2016
Domestic: $128,350,574 56.0%
+ Foreign: $100,796,935 44.0

So it made almost as much as Ghostbusters in only 10 days already.

Theecliff

Banned
Well, the numbers just show, that argument is total rubbish. Scarlett has the star power to keep a niche product selling internationally which a movie like Power Rangers has not. That is also why Ghost made 2-3 times the money Power Rangers did on the international market in the first week alone. So it is actually true, you need somebody to sell the product and everything people made up, is just not supported by facts or numbers.

Casting Scarlett may be the only things they made right, else it would have probably bombed as hard as Power Rangers did.
to be clear - i'm not trying to say the film bombed because they cast johansson. i just didn't think that the argument against casting an asian american actress over scarlett johansson 'because otherwise the film wouldn't do well' didn't hold weight when it flopped on it's opening. it bombed spectacularly in the US. despite johansonn's name it barely made half the money that lucy did in america and on a budget 3 times the size. even if it's making more money than power rangers in other markets (which i'm not sure why you've brought up - i never mentioned that?) it's still not doing well. hell even paramount execs have spoken out about doing poorly citing the controversy as the reason. it's set to lose about 60 million worldwide.

Trokil

Banned
hell even paramount execs have spoken out about doing poorly citing the controversy as the reason. it's set to lose about 60 million worldwide.

Yes, because of the controversy, not because hiring Scarlett was wrong. You can not do that much, if people make something up, which is no way connected to movie or the context or the universe of the movie. And maybe it would have done better in the US, but not as well on the international market, so how would have that been better?

The US is not the center of the universe you know, as movies like Warcraft on one hand or Power Rangers on the other hand prove.

Ridley327

Was there this much controversy with the 2013 remake of Old Boy with Josh Brolin? should their have been?
Nothing as far as the whitewashing charges being lobbed at GITS. It did have its fair share, but that was mainly aimed at the disappointing adherence to the original film that offered little new, along with the compromised quality of the final product after we found out about the film being taken away from Spike Lee and hacked to pieces.

Haven't not seen the movie I can't say how much they touched on identity politics, but from my perspective I worked on a cyberpunk video game which the inherent premise of the game was bodies were disposable and consciousness were interchangeable between sex and race. It wasn't really a character driven game so we didn't really dig into the premise of what truly is an identity if bodies are interchangeable but there's different room for it on film or a more character driven game.

I may ramble here but I guess my point is, even disregarding the
body/consciousness
point I made above is there something inherent in her character that dictates she must be Asian?

I'm not attached to GITS in the slightest but it's an interesting social construct where someone like Superman is iconic and recognizable character associated as muscle bound Caucasian, black and blue eyes. There'd likely be a fairly big uproar (probably from myself included) if he was depicted on film as anything else.

Perry White is recast as black in Man of Steel? no big deal, his race isn't associated with his character.

Is Scarlett Johanson's character inherently Asian? to the point her
manufactured body
must be too?

For some, perhaps she is as iconicly Asian as Superman is Caucasian but I don't think she is globally or at least in the US.

I forgot about the Old Boy remake, and so did everyone else. There wasn't any uproar since that movie was kinda doing it's own thing while staying faithful to the original. It should have gone to a minority but regardless that movie is in all ways inferior to the original, just like GitS.

The Major's defining traits isn't her appearance. I would also argue Superman or Clark Kent isn't defined by his appearance either. Superman and The Major can be played by anyone from a different background cuz it's their character that makes them who they are.
If your gonna play with the concept that race is interchangeable, that identities are nothing more than "shells" as the movie likes to remind you over and over, you better have something meaningful to say instead of using it to double down on casting ScarJo. And yes, her character is suppose to be Asian.
Yes, because of the controversy, not because hiring Scarlett was wrong. You can not do that much, if people make something up, which is no way connected to movie or the context or the universe of the movie. And maybe it would have done better in the US, but not as well on the international market, so how would have that been better?

The US is not the center of the universe you know, as movies like Warcraft on one hand or Power Rangers on the other hand prove.
China isn't the center of the universe, which Hollywood seems to think it is.

People from USA tend to think their way of thinking and issues are universal to humanity. Nothing new.

If the film bombs, it isn't because the race issue. First because it isn't seen as a problem in lots of other nations, second because MOST PEOPLE DON'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT IT. If I ask my boss or I ask my sister about the film, she doesn't really know it's an adaption of a manga/anime from Japan. She only saw some ads on tv about it. Your average moviegoer doesn't know about it.

Btw, there is an interesting point in Japan doing 'asian-washing' of some anime adaptions with their live action films. Because it happens that some of them are in fictional settings with Caucasian looking people (blond hair, blue yes, white, etc), or are 'melting-pot' settings where only 1 or 2 characters are supposed to be Asian, but of course they cast everyone as Japanese. Attack on Titan or Full Metal Alchemist are recent examples.

And people aren't surprised or outraged in Japan. It's a Japanese film done by a Japanese company for the Japanese audience recorded in Japanese, of course they are going to cast [famous] Japanese actors, not unknown foreigners just because that way would be more 'faithful'.

People from USA tend to think their way of thinking and issues are universal to humanity. Nothing new.

If the film bombs, it isn't because the race issue. First because it isn't seen as a problem in lots of other nations, second because MOST PEOPLE DON'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT IT. If I ask my boss or I ask my sister about the film, she doesn't really know it's an adaption of a manga/anime from Japan. She only saw some ads on tv about it. Your average moviegoer doesn't know about it.

Btw, there is an interesting point in Japan doing 'asian-washing' of some anime adaptions with their live action films. Because it happens that some of them are in fictional settings with Caucasian looking people (blond hair, blue yes, white, etc), or are 'melting-pot' settings where only 1 or 2 characters are supposed to be Asian, but of course they cast everyone as Japanese. Attack on Titan or Full Metal Alchemist are recent examples.

And people aren't surprised or outraged in Japan. It's a Japanese film done by a Japanese company for the Japanese audience recorded in Japanese, of course they are going to cast [famous] Japanese actors, not unknown foreigners just because that way would be more 'faithful'.
Japan doesn't need to cast unknowns of different races cuz they don't need to appeal to that market. Their movies are appealing to Japan. They don't have a large number of white or black actors looking for work.

That's not 100% true. I haven't followed the FMA movie, but the AoT movie was raked over the coals, by fans in particular. The casting issue was just one among a plethora of others though.

And this is an american film, filmed in america, for the american audience. Of course they're going to cast [famous] japanese-american actors, not unknown foreigners because that would be more 'faithful'.

I can do it too!
America is a melting pot, and we have plenty of actors of all races here, stop trying to compare a mostly monolithic homogeneous country to america, it makes you look silly.

If the film bombs, it isn't because the race issue.
1) the production company literally said it was

2) do u really think this is just a big coincidence

tumblr_o3ol6h9hrd1rz5igeo7_400.png

tumblr_o3ol6h9hrd1rz5igeo1_400.png

tumblr_o3ol6h9hrd1rz5igeo5_400.png

tumblr_o3ol6h9hrd1rz5igeo3_400.png

tumblr_o3ol6h9hrd1rz5igeo2_400.png

So-called progressives revealing themselves as nationalists.

HeelPower

Asian isn't a thing in Asia, same way European isn't a thing in Europe.

Not to say it's not thing at all but national identity is much, much stronger.

The issues surround the film for better or worse are American.

Europe is a thing in europe though.There is a european union.

Chuckie

Europe is a thing in europe though.There is a european union.

Yes but not in this context though.
If some famous Dutchman is being played by a Frenchman in a movie, I am not going to be like: Wow....an European got the role, not an American...I am so happy!

Theecliff

Banned

i'm not saying that the film is doing poorly because it has scarlett johansson in the lead, i'm trying to say that since it has done poorly, it complicates the notion that a well known white actress like johansson was needed for it to do well (because it hasn't). i definitely didn't phrase my argument including the paramount execs right, but the fact that the studio has literally already been in damage control mode to blame the controversy shows that the film's already done poorly in their eyes and - much as is the hollywood tradition - they are going to blame somebody else other than themselves. and even if the controversy specifically were to blame for the film doing poorly, how does that then prove at all that casting on johansson's star power is helping the film? how do you know that someone other than johansson would have resulted in it doing poorer outside? your agument weighs on the idea that johansson was needed for the film to do well but, again, it isn't doing well enough to confirm that - it's done terribly domestically and it's still not doing good enough elsewhere to stop it from being a box office disappointment. the film is set to lose the studio $60 million, as per these articles from yesterday:

Some publications are conservatively estimating that “Ghost in the Shell” will end its run $60 million in the hole.
variety

And the $110 million -budgeted sci-fi thriller isn’t doing that much better overseas, with a $21.4m debut in China. The film has earned $92.5m overseas for a $124m global cume, which is okay but not good enough. So yeah, alas, blame the whitewashing or (more honestly) blame the overall lack of appeal, but this one didn’t work out.
forbes

However, analysts still expect the film to lose Paramount millions, some putting the figure around $60 million.
independent

Thank God that one Japanese person said that this isn't an issue so that I can say, with confidence, that this isn't an issue. Fucking 'cyber Social Justice Warrior', am I right, OP? LMAO!!!

Please let everyone understand this is sarcasm

Its an interesting take though, funny how he immediately dislikes the idea of people of another Asian heritage playing the character tbh.

There's been no news of outrage over there about this. I remember a theresdozensofus.gif article someone on gaf found to prove how mad people in Japan are about this lmao when he posted it another topic. Most of the people in the states complaining are not even asian americans, but white people which is comical. It's almost like a meme at this point. I actually would also prefer someone asian since I watched the anime a while back.. but from a financial POV when you're dropping that kind of cash you want the most popular female actress running that ship which is ScarJo or Jlaw. Especially something with a niche market potential in the West.

i'm not saying that the film is doing poorly because it has scarlett johansson in the lead, i'm trying to say that since it has done poorly, it complicates the notion that a well known white actress like johansson was needed for it to do well (because it hasn't). i definitely didn't phrase my argument including the paramount execs right, but the fact that the studio has literally already been in damage control mode to blame the controversy shows that the film's already done poorly in their eyes and - much as is the hollywood tradition - they are going to blame somebody else other than themselves. and even if the controversy specifically were to blame for the film doing poorly, how does that then prove at all that casting on johansson's star power is helping the film? how do you know that someone other than johansson would have resulted in it doing poorer outside? your agument weighs on the idea that johansson was needed but it isn't doing well enough to confirm that - it's done terribly domestically and it's still not doing good enough elsewhere to stop it from being a box office disappointment. the film is set to lose the studio $60 million, as per these articles from yesterday:

variety

forbes

independent
A manga to movie adaptation does bad and below what higher ups expected. In other news, water is also wet.

Slayven

Since the movie only debuted in Japan this past weekend, reactions have been slim in trickling in, but some preliminary reactions:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/japanese-fans-react-ghost-shell-992255

Most fascinating part:

The Japanese apparently have a much, much, much more different take on identity politics than Asian Americans or any cyber Social Justice Warrior can ever dream of

cookie-lyon-reaction-gif.gif

Funny how people keep running to japan to cosign this fuckery.

Desmond

Yes but not in this context though.
If some famous Dutchman is being played by a Frenchman in a movie, I am not going to be like: Wow....an European got the role, not an American...I am so happy!
As I said before, no one batted an eyelid when Pierce Brosnan played bond. Could an Asian actress could have played the role without controversy?

Slayven

The film makers actually made it worst by White Bodying the character in one of the most unnecessary plot points of all time

OceanBlue

Most of the people in the states complaining are not even asian americans, but white people which is comical. It's almost like a meme at this point.
If there were Asian-Americans complaining (which there are), would it change anything for you? Asian-Americans might not have uniform opinions but I think the ones who worry about minority representation have legitimate concerns that people shouldn't ignore because someone in Asia thinks differently.

Chuckie

As I said before, no one batted an eyelid when Pierce Brosnan played bond. Could an Asian actress could have played the role without controversy?

I wouldn't bat an eyelid either if a Frenchy would play a Dutchy... although if he had to speak Dutch and it would sound shit I'd probably 'complain' about that. But I don't think it is a black or white situation. More a bit like this:

Asian: Japanese would probably be pissed to be portrayed by Chinese
European (mainland): Maybe mildly annoyed if portrayed badly by other Yurops or Yanks...or not care.
English: Probably not annoyed to be portrayed by Americans, they are also used to it.

So to answer your question: People in Japan would probably not like it if a Chinese-American would have played the Major. But to be honest I have no idea what Japanese Americans or Korean Americans would think about that.

Well aside from the casting controversy, those movies are also crap.

lone ranger was good.

i think overall though all these movies flopping has more to do with just lack of appeal though over whitewashing. it's just an unfortunate coincidence too that they all share that issue.

when was the last time a cameron crowe movie did well. as much as I hoped a massive blockbuster western would be a hit...lmao that's dead in the water. gods of egypt looked trash. pan looked trash. etc.

If we're being honest, in the end, the casting issue was the least of the movies problems. That lies in the awful writing, pacing and the softening of the violence and dismissal of the original's central themes.

LionPride

Banned
Most People don't care about Whitewashing, it just so happens that most movies with a whitewashing controversy, are also pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom