• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Sales: 2012 Jul 02 - Jul 08

Dalthien

How do you know Guild02 development didn't start even earlier? A compilation of games by big known developers wouldn't come cheap you know.

It may very well have already started work by the time of the announcement. But it's clear that there was still a lot of work to be done on Guild02 at the time of the announcement. And if Level 5 knew that they took a bath on Guild01 (and they knew the sales of Guild01 already when they announced Guild02), then they would have just shut down Guild02 right then and there rather than go ahead with the full development process knowing full well that they were going to take another bath on Guild02. Instead, they went ahead with a public announcement and reveal of Guild02 AFTER already knowing exactly how Guild01 sold to retailers.

And big-name artists in all fields (film, music, etc.) do little personal side-projects for next to nothing all the time. I suspect these were game ideas that these devs wanted to work on, but knew that they would likely never get a chance to turn these ideas into fully developed big budget projects - so this collaborative "Guild" concept gave them an opportunity to scratch an artistic itch. I don't know this to be a fact in this particular case, but given the sales of Guild01, followed by the announcement of Guild02 - it seems quite likely.

I meant at that time! I'm well aware how good Layton sales were in the west.

It may very well have already started work by the time of the announcement. But it's clear that there was still a lot of work to be done on Guild02 at the time of the announcement. And if Level 5 knew that they took a bath on Guild01 (and they knew the sales of Guild01 already when they announced Guild02), then they would have just shut down Guild02 right then and there rather than go ahead with the full development process knowing full well that they were going to take another bath on Guild02. Instead, they went ahead with a public announcement and reveal of Guild02 AFTER already knowing exactly how Guild01 sold to retailers.

And big-name artists in all fields (film, music, etc.) do little personal side-projects for next to nothing all the time. I suspect these were game ideas that these devs wanted to work on, but knew that they would likely never get a chance to turn these ideas into fully developed big budget projects - so this collaborative "Guild" concept gave them an opportunity to scratch an artistic itch. I don't know this to be a fact in this particular case, but given the sales of Guild01, followed by the announcement of Guild02 - it seems quite likely.
I suppose L5 is doing it if not for the sales, but to build a good relationship with these developers for future projects.

Dalthien

I suppose L5 is doing it if not for the sales, but to build a good relationship with these developers for future projects.

Yeah, I think that is probably the biggest part of it. I don't think Level 5 actually made much of anything off of Guild01, but to me, the announcement of Guild02 after knowing how Guild01 sold means that they didn't really lose much of anything either on Guild01. So why not keep working with the "Guild" concept with some top developers to keep strengthening relationships - you never how these relationships might prove valuable down the road.

donny2112

ninokuni ps3 didnt "bomb"

Juniors are trying to be too diplomatic, it seems. There's keeping your head down so you don't get permabanned, and then there's saying wildly crazy things to avoid making anyone upset, and in the process, remove any legitimacy to your postings.

Nekki

Everyone has been talking about Calciobit like it's a new IP. I agree the social website stuff Nintendo has done could be neat and could change how the games is received, but it is the second installment in the series. The original game opened to 9k and topped out at 28k lifetime.

This is not going to be a smash success :p

I only meant to say that it's a kind of game that has the potential for being big. It might not be a new franchise, but it's bringing a lot of interesting new things and i'm sure it's having a much better marketing campaign (it even had a nintendo direct, and a demo).

first day ST news are quite encouraging, and i think it might end up with a LTD of around 80k, hopefully more though.

I am kind of surprised Wii Fit is getting a sequel before Wii Sports. I don't really see what benefit there is to fitness on Wii U that hasn't been done a thousand times before.

I am kind of surprised Wii Fit is getting a sequel before Wii Sports. I don't really see what benefit there is to fitness on Wii U that hasn't been done a thousand times before.
Nintendo is probably think NintendoLand will take Wii Sports place in show casing the system's gimmick. I think they're right in doing so, Wii Sports can come later. Wii Fit probably also has better use for the game pad, another good way to showcase the system's gimmick.

Also: there are something like 30 million Balance Boards in the world, which is the installed base of a platform itself. I think they're trying to exploit such numbers to give incentives to people to play again with something they already have.

Shikoro

I think that Resistance is going to be somewhat of a hit there. Almost every friend I have who has a Vita bought it. Next week should be interesting. :D

I think that Resistance is going to be somewhat of a hit there. Almost every friend I have who has a Vita bought it. Next week should be interesting. :D

Do you think so? The last one sold 25k, and the PSP one nearly 35k.

Btw, I'm really curious to see how this 3DS game will end up: Run for the Money, Etrian Odyssey IV, Culdcept.

Bruno MB

I want to see how big of a flop Time Travelers is, Wednesday can't come soon enough.

Uu4Q7.jpg

Dark Cloud sales in the West were really impressive, over 1 million units and it was a new IP.

Takao

Banned
Well, Dark Chronicles sold basically half of what Dark Cloud did in the West.

Dark Cloud 2 didn't really get the push that the first one did. I also don't think the idea of ditching all the main characters from the first, and being known as Dark Chronicle (instead of Dark Cloud 2) in Europe helped.

Dark Cloud 2 didn't really get the push that the first one did. I also don't think the idea of ditching all the main characters from the first, and being known as Dark Chronicle (instead of Dark Cloud 2) in Europe helped.

Reviews were way better though, it was something like Gamespot PS2 GOTY 2003 and it got a lot of coverage, in an environment with more install base.

Takao

Banned
Reviews were way better though, it was something like Gamespot PS2 GOTY 2003 and it got a lot of coverage, in an environment with more install base.

It also came out when PS2 was getting RPGs that got a bigger push. I distinctly remember seeing ads for the first Dark Cloud on TV, and even on bus shelters. I don't remember that push for Dark Cloud 2 (though there was a TV ad apparently). Had it been given the same push, and not have been seen as a quasi-new IP in Europe I think it could've outsold the first one. 900k isn't a poor showing by any means either. Jeanne D'arc's 200k on the otherhand is kind of heartbreaking. Though for some bizarre reason SCEE never released that in Europe, because clearly Europeans wouldn't be able to connect to a European Saint? I dunno.

It also came out when PS2 was getting RPGs that got a bigger push. I distinctly remember seeing ads for the first Dark Cloud on TV, and even on bus shelters. I don't remember that push for Dark Cloud 2 (though there was a TV ad apparently). Had it been given the same push, and not have been seen as a quasi-new IP in Europe I think it could've outsold the first one. 900k isn't a poor showing by any means either. Jeanne D'arc's 200k on the otherhand is kind of heartbreaking. Though for some bizarre reason SCEE never released that in Europe, because clearly Europeans wouldn't be able to connect to a European Saint? I dunno.

Well, 900k-250k=650k worldwide.

Takao

Banned
Well, 900k-250k=650k worldwide.

Japan is not part of the world we call Earth anymore or something? 650k isn't a bad result in Europe or North America either. I don't have NPD numbers, and we certainly don't have Euro numbers for the game but I wouldn't be surprised if the decline was biggest in Europe.

Japan is not part of the world we call Earth anymore or something? 650k isn't a bad result in Europe or North America either. I don't have NPD numbers, and we certainly don't have Euro numbers for the game but I wouldn't be surprised if the decline was biggest in Europe.

Fact #1: the series declines worldwide.
Fact #2: Level-5 and Sony didn't produce the series anymore
Advice #1: stop hoping for Dark Cloud 3 and for Level-5 financial crash.

(NPD) LTD sales a of October 2005

Dark Cloud (Sony) 669,761
Dark Cloud 2 (Sony) 273,935

lol

extralite

2 copies were sold. It was the same guy buying the game on both vita and 3ds.

I know this is supposed to be a joke but well...

http://azalyn.blog22.fc2.com/blog-entry-1715.html

This blog post is getting reposted everywhere, I guess Azalyn has a good rep for sales? I've seen the name come up here too.

TT ranks 3rd best new title for first day sales, after Taiko and Calciobit, followed by Resistance. Taiko sold 8 copies, Calciobit 7, TT 3DS 4 and Vita 3, Resistance 4. So combined sales are as good as Calciobit and best single sales are just on par with Resistance.

These are by no means promising numbers considering the expectations (raised by earlier statements of Hino) but Azalyn comments that sell through was actually pretty high (compared to the other titles, with Taiko also selling better than its usual 1st day ST), indicating that the shipment might not have been that high to begin with.

Edit: On another site I read it said the 3DS version is mostly bought by students compared to the Vita being bought by employed people (I'm assuming the retailer went by looks).

Edit2:

As much money as DQ makes, I highly doubt this. FF11's success didn't stop numbered entries from coming.

Poor wording on my part. I'm one of the people who thinks DQX can get much closer to the usual numbered entries than FFXI did. What I meant was, if DQX can match the success of the usual entries.

It's not completely impossible. It will sell better out of the door than FFXI, how much better remains to be seen. After that any new campaign is a chance to relaunch the game and the Wii U will likely be a stronger follow up platform for the game in Japan than PC and Xbox360 were for FFXI. FFXI was constantly republished with all campaigns up to that point, but for platforms that were unattractive in Japan. Another problem that was solved for DQX (the others being no expensive hardware needed anymore, subscription free play possible and much better penetration of broadband/flatrate ISPs).

Multiplayer and online helped DQIX's legs, the goal with DQX is obviously the same.

Erethian

I know this is supposed to be a joke but well...

http://azalyn.blog22.fc2.com/blog-entry-1715.html

This blog post is getting reposted everywhere, I guess Azalyn has a good rep for sales? I've seen the name come up here too.

TT ranks 3rd best new title for first day sales, after Taiko and Calciobit, followed by Resistance. Taiko sold 8 copies, Calciobit 7, TT 3DS 4 and Vita 3, Resistance 4. So combined sales are as good as Calciobit and best single sales are just on par with Resistance.

These are by no means promising numbers considering the expectations (raised by earlier statements of Hino) but Azalyn comments that sell through was actually pretty high (compared to the other titles, with Taiko also selling better than its usual 1st day ST), indicating that the shipment might not have been that high to begin with.

Edit: On another site I read the 3DS version is mostly bought by students compared to the Vita being bought by employed people (I'm assuming the retailer went by looks).

The sell-through Chris posts is from a person who it's believed has access to first day sales reports, probably from Famitsu. Whereas the Azalyn stuff is (I believe) just for his store.

extralite

The sell-through Chris posts is from a person who it's believed has access to first day sales reports, probably from Famitsu. Whereas the Azalyn stuff is (I believe) just for his store.

Yes, definitely. But unless his store had an unusual low shipment for TT his comment about ST can be extrapolated in the same way as the rest of the numbers. If they can reasonably be extrapolated at all, of course.

The numbers are so low (and close) and it's just one store, but I guess they're indicating some kind of trends that can be relied on? Basically Google results has one page of the same text reposted on a lot of BBSs and blogs.

Yes, definitely. But unless his store had an unusual low shipment for TT his comment about ST can be extrapolated in the same way as the rest of the numbers. If they can reasonably be extrapolated at all, of course.

The numbers are so low (and close) and it's just one store, but I guess they're indicating some kind of trends that can be relied on? Basically Google results has one page of the same text reposted on a lot of BBSs and blogs.

If that's only one store, it's not useful at all.

Dark Cloud 2's real problems were that people generally had a negative response to DC1 and that SCEA/SCEE sent it to die by launching it directly against Zelda TWW.

The only reason DC1 did comparably well was a lack of competition or even really options for PS2 owners at the time. Red Steel effect.

donny2112

This week Wii hardware decreased but WSR increased, explain that!

Wii hardware is sold some bundles with WSR and some bundles with Wii Party. Wii Party dropped ~500 and WSR went up ~100. Wii dropped ~150. Therefore, it could easily be a redistribution of bundles between the two types.

Don't get me wrong. WSR would still be selling some without the bundles, just not nearly as well. Just wanted to point out that remarking how well it was selling with the hardware and calling it a system seller misses a probable big reason why it's selling the way it does (i.e. it's bundled with some systems).

It's to transition over those still using Wii Fit to the Wii. Wii Fit was an arguably bigger system-seller for Wii than Wii Sports in Japan, and was a huge system seller outside of Japan, too.

Dark Cloud 2's real problems were that people generally had a negative response to DC1 and that SCEA/SCEE sent it to die by launching it directly against Zelda TWW.

The only reason DC1 did comparably well was a lack of competition or even really options for PS2 owners at the time. Red Steel effect.
I remember EGM and PSM articles making it out to be Sony's 'Zelda-Killer'.

:p

Wii hardware is sold some bundles with WSR and some bundles with Wii Party. Wii Party dropped ~500 and WSR went up ~100. Wii dropped ~150. Therefore, it could easily be a redistribution of bundles between the two types.

Don't get me wrong. WSR would still be selling some without the bundles, just not nearly as well. Just wanted to point out that remarking how well it was selling with the hardware and calling it a system seller misses a probable big reason why it's selling the way it does (i.e. it's bundled with some systems).

It's to transition over those still using Wii Fit to the Wii. Wii Fit was an arguably bigger system-seller for Wii than Wii Sports in Japan, and was a huge system seller outside of Japan, too.
I think the fact that WSR is still on the charts while Wii Fit isn't, shows that its a bigger system seller. I know, its bundled, but if Wii Fit was a bigger system seller, wouldn't it be the one thats bundled?

sorry to say it but i still hate the new title, can we change it to:

Japanese Sales[MC-Famitsu]: 2012 Jul 02 - Jul 08

or something like that, it's easier to notice
The old format was fine, this feels too short.

king zell

sorry to say it but i still hate the new title, can we change it to:

Japanese Sales[MC-Famitsu]: 2012 Jul 02 - Jul 08

or something like that, it's easier to notice

Aeana

You realize SCE was set to release LBX in the west right? The only reason Level-5 even exists is because of SCE.
The main reason Level-5 was able to expand as much as it has is because of its work on and exposure due to Dragon Quest. Had they not done that, they might not exist now, either.

Top Bottom