• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese soldier who took three decades to surrender, dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stet

Banned
Why did you screenshot your own twitter?

iM4FxmCdqeBKf.gif

depths20XX

The guy seems kinda dumb honestly.

After a few years or so you'd think you would wonder what's going on and come out of hiding. Let alone 30 fucking years.

The guy seems kinda dumb honestly.

After a few years or so you'd think you would wonder what's going on and come out of hiding. Let alone 30 fucking years.

I agree, he was either very stupid (or blind) to not notice the bodies of those who shot dead were not enemy soldiers.

I mean, all it takes is to make sure they are carrying any guns at all or that they are wearing a distinguishable piece of uniform (Hell he could have recognized their nationality and physical features) to realize you are killing innocent civilians of your own fucking country. Or maybe he was just a psychopath killer and used it as a reason to excuse his slaughter of innocent people.

Marleyman

Banned
What an amazing story; he even went BACK to the place where he hid for so long and was greeted? Weren't some of these people probably related to someone he killed? What a mind fuck this is.

Protein

Banned
The guy was a murdering bastard. He is either a moron for thinking the war was still going on or out of his goddamn mind for killing 30 people. He killed 30 people, not 30 soldiers.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
He's a fucking murderer, dude.

Read that article a little further!

Well, that's one way of looking at it. Fuck all soldiers in all armed forces around the world, then?

The guy was a murdering bastard. He is either a moron for thinking the war was still going on or out of his goddamn mind for killing 30 people. He killed 30 people, not 30 soldiers.

From the article:

Refusing to believe that the war had ended with Japan’s defeat in August 1945, Onoda drew on his training in guerilla warfare to kill as many as 30 people whom he mistakenly believed to be enemy soldiers.

And why do you think this dude living in the jungle and completely cut off from all communication would somehow *know* that the war had ended, especially when his last orders were to stay behind and continue covert operations.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Pressing a button from a remote location isn't the same as taking out people up close and personal, one by one, even if it is 200,000 to 30.

Not sure which which you're arguing is better or worse. Assuming that is your intention.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Consider yourself excused.

Your avatar... this line... I can't. Too smug.

Either way, the "saved millions of lives" argument is not fact. It's a supposition used to justify the killing of hundreds of thousands of innocents. That's the only fact.

StayDead

"He thought it was war time." He was wrong. Some people will find any reason to defend anything.

He was wrong, but he was in an isolated post given the orders that he should defend it at all costs until his commander relieves him of duty. He most likely had little to no contact with the outside world so there's no way in hell he would have known the war was over without someone telling him. The trouble is, the people telling him were not his commanders and may well have been the enemy trying to force him out of hiding.

The fact he shot those 30 people thinking they were the enemy is tragic, but so is the fact this man lost over 30 years of his life spent serving a military that should've never needed to exist.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think some people completely lack the ability to imagine a situation from someone else's position.

Excuse me?

He was talking about how the targeted attacks on Imperial Military steel and munition manufacturing infrastructure in Hiroshima and Nagasaki hastened the unconditional surrender of Japan. An early unconditional surrender was considered necessary in order to prevent further USSR incursion into Japan, as they had declared war and intent to invade, occupy, and likely reform Japan. The belief is that a two-pronged land invasion from US and Russian forces would result in likely millions upon millions of deaths, a divided Japan, and the destruction of the cultural autonomy of Japan. Some point to the fact that even after the decision had been made to surrender, there was a military coup attempted by top military leadership in order to prevent the surrender as proof that Japan was stubbornly resistant to capitulate.

Considering the circumstances, I personally cannot think of a decision that would provide a more positive outcome for hundreds of millions of people. However, I agree that it's hard to guess what might have happened.

Japanese people's mental strength has always fascinated me.
I don't think many western born cultures would last anywhere near this long, even if they were extremely loyal. The human curiousity, the ego, the doubt, the contemplations. I wouldn't have lasted very long personally.

It's a bit sick that Japan is not talking about their atrocious past in more details in schools and in general. It's very hush hush. Not fair. The brutality in China.. it's unreal.

Bebpo

Banned
The only "interesting" thing about his whole story is the thought of someone coming out of Japan's nationalistic pre-war culture coming back 30 years later to post-war modern integrated world Japan and the reactions he would have had to how Japan has changed (apparently he didn't like it so he moved to Brazil).

Would be interesting to find his thoughts on the changes to society during those 30 years.

He was talking about how the targeted attacks on Imperial Military steel and munition manufacturing infrastructure in Hiroshima and Nagasaki hastened the unconditional surrender of Japan. An early unconditional surrender was considered necessary in order to prevent further USSR incursion into Japan, as they had declared war and intent to invade, occupy, and likely reform Japan. The belief is that a two-pronged land invasion from US and Russian forces would result in likely millions upon millions of deaths, a divided Japan, and the destruction of the cultural autonomy of Japan. Some point to the fact that even after the decision had been made to surrender, there was a military coup attempted by top military leadership in order to prevent the surrender as proof that Japan was stubbornly resistant to capitulate.

Considering the circumstances, I personally cannot think of a decision that would provide a more positive outcome for hundreds of millions of people. However, I agree that it's hard to guess what might have happened.
Add to that towards the end of the war Japan had stockpiled a huge percentage of the arsenal for homeland defense.
It would have been horrible if it had actually happened.

Jacob

I read about this guy for the first time a couple years ago and was just thinking about him again the other day. His is a fascinating story and I don't think it's as clear-cut as some people on the first page were making it out to be. His activities after his surrender are interesting as well. He first moved to Brazil and became a cattle rancher (his brother had already moved there) but eventually returned to Japan to run a nature/survival camp because he was concerned about young people and the future of Japan. The disconnect he felt with contemporary Japanese society after living in a bubble of WWII-era nationalism for 30 years was, of course, very significant.

I agree, he was either very stupid (or blind) to not notice the bodies of those who shot dead were not enemy soldiers.

I mean, all it takes is to make sure they are carrying any guns at all or that they are wearing a distinguishable piece of uniform (Hell he could have recognized their nationality and physical features) to realize you are killing innocent civilians of your own fucking country. Or maybe he was just a psychopath killer and used it as a reason to excuse his slaughter of innocent people.

A lot of them were Filipino police and local militia who were trying to hunt him down. They were justified in doing that, obviously, but it's not like this guy was murdering random people on the pretext that they were soldiers. Most of the deaths resulted from gunfights. His insistence that the war couldn't have ended and that any information he received to the contrary (for example, leaflets that the Filipinos distributed) was enemy propaganda borders on insane. There were other Japanese holdouts who voluntarily surrendered in much less than 30 years. But when you are raised in a society that values loyalty and self-sacrifice (and let's be honest, most societies do to a greater or lesser extent) some people are going to take those ideals to the extreme.

The only "interesting" thing about his whole story is the thought of someone coming out of Japan's nationalistic pre-war culture coming back 30 years later to post-war modern integrated world Japan and the reactions he would have had to how Japan has changed (apparently he didn't like it so he moved to Brazil).

Would be interesting to find his thoughts on the changes to society during those 30 years.

He wrote a book but I haven't read it beyond the first chapter preview.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1557506639/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not sure which which you're arguing is better or worse. Assuming that is your intention.
Even though the number is much less, I would say the person who could walk up to a person, take their life in a brutal fasion and then do that again 29 more times is more of a monster than someone who pressed a button and heard about the effects of it later.

The positive attention given to this guy is pretty sick. If we found a lone Nazi who was on an island still killing jews 30yrs after WW2, he wouldn't be seen as a fucking hero. Well, some people would.

Which Japanese soldier did we find on that island? The "I'm just doing what I was told" or the type that participated in the brutal genocide of 250,000 and 100,000 rapes of innocent civillians at Nanking? Burying entire villiages alive? Slitting open the wombs of pregnant Chinese women, tossing the babies in the air and catching them in bayonettes? Would he have participated in the race to kill 150 people with a sword?

He had a perchant for merciless killing so I think he sounds like the perfect candidate for Unit 731. This particular Japanese unit specialized in human experimentation, killing over 12,000 men, women, and children by testing chemical, biological, and experimental weapons on them, live vivisections with no anesthesia of children and babies, exploded in pressure chambers...it's an endless list of the worst possible ways to die. I think he would've been right at home.

But hey, he's just a dude following orders so it's awesome.

depths20XX

The positive attention given to this guy is pretty sick. If we found a lone Nazi who was on an island still killing jews 30yrs after WW2, he wouldn't be seen as a fucking hero. Well, some people would.

Which Japanese soldier did we find on that island? The "I'm just doing what I was told" or the type that participated in the brutal genocide of 250,000 and 100,000 rapes of innocent civillians at Nanking? Burying entire villiages alive? Slitting open the wombs of pregnant Chinese women, tossing the babies in the air and catching them in bayonettes? Would he have participated in the race to kill 150 people with a sword?

He had a perchant for merciless killing so I think he sounds like the perfect candidate for Unit 731. This particular Japanese unit specialized in human experimentation, killing over 12,000 men, women, and children by testing chemical, biological, and experimental weapons on them, live vivisections with no anesthesia of children and babies, exploded in pressure chambers...it's an endless list of the worst possible ways to die. I think he would've been right at home.

C'mon man you aren't being serious right now are you? I agree the guy seems to be a bit off, and I can't imagine myself waiting something out like that for 30 years but is bringing up Unit 731 really relevant here?

I wasn't going to bother, but good on you for the details.

History is an amazing thing. We can now look back and read pretty much every detail surrounding Operation Downfall from both sides of the potential invasion. For example, we know our worse case scenerio for Japan's military strength at Kyushu was significantly less than what was actually there. Learning after the fact at just how committed Japan was to fight to the very last man is horrifying to say the least. If we had invaded, our plan was to basically turn the first island i to an airport and firebomb the closest island to extinction, rinse, repeat. Japan's civillian death toll alone was estimated at 5-10 million.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

This guy...

He's serious, isn't he?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Onodera drew on his training in guerilla warfare to kill as many as 30 people whom he mistakenly believed to be enemy soldiers

No way, the guy was a crazy asshole.

We've got a shit load of condemning to do if we're going to damn every soldier who killed people that turned out not to be enemy soldiers.

remist

We've got a shit load of condemning to do if we're going to damn every soldier who killed people that turned out not to be enemy soldiers.
Many of the locals he killed were unarmed and zero threat. That would be a war crime regardless of whether he thought the war was still going on. He was a murderer.

Yeah... fuck that guy. "I didn't know the war ended" does not mean shit. By that logic, terrorists or anybody considering themselves "at war" are justified to any action they desire, and deserving of the same respect or admiration that people are handing out here. A rope, an unmarked grave and immediate dismissal of his memory should have been his fate.

C'mon man you aren't being serious right now are you? I agree the guy seems to be a bit off, and I can't imagine myself waiting something out like that for 30 years but is bringing up Unit 731 really relevant here?

Seems a bit off huh? That's a rather amazing understatement.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I used to think this dude was neat. And then I found out about all the murders of innocent locals he committed over the years because he's an insane idiot. Just saying, it kinda changed the way I looked at things.

If this is true then this:

Refusing to believe that the war had ended with Japan’s defeat in August 1945, Onodera drew on his training in guerilla warfare to kill as many as 30 people whom he mistakenly believed to be enemy soldiers.[

Is truly an amazing way to spin that fact

Fucking LOL.

/followed
/liked
/subscribed

Welp, that's a sickening quote if it's real
It is, to the very best of my knowledge, a real quote that passed from the lips of Napoleon. The veracity of the claim is maybe up for debate, though! I'm somewhat inclined to believe that he was at least in the ballpark.

Why did you screenshot your own twitter?
#reasons
(Because I'm the only one on Twitter talking any goddamn sense in these dark days, I thank you for your patronage.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom