• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese tourists stricken by Paris Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kentpaul said:
I doubt a french waiter would shout at me, the french and scottish go way back, But if i did get shouted at i'd punch the waiter in the nose.

And you would be right to do so. Although we do love Scots. I love the days when Scotland is playing France in Paris during the six nations, there's a especially great atmosphere to them.

Kentpaul said:
I can totally understand a country who got a hard time of the Nazi's hating on the japanese.

We really don't though.

Bleepey

Kurtofan said:
France is probably the most Japanophile country of Europe.

I haven't been to paris, or mainland Europe for that matter, but man the number of Otakus i see in London. I swear the Trocadero is filled with them.

Gabyskra

Banned
Bleepey said:
I haven't been to paris, or mainland Europe for that matter, but man the number of Otakus i see in London. I swear the Trocadero is filled with them.

Manga sales in France are through the roof. Only Japan sells more.

BTW, about that comment on tourists throwing up, I'm not sure I get what you're saying, the people I see who do that are local students or high schoolers... And I don't mind. I mean, I wouldn't want to live near Bastille on a saturday night, too loud, for sure... but if you're going out to party, that comes with the territory.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
SPSTX.jpg

Actual photo of Kyoto.

keuja

France has 80 millions tourists every year, 12 japanese people a year suffer from stress breakdown, what's the fucking big deal. And how many needs to be repatriated from the US? I'm sure the numbers are similar. Or maybe not after all since the Japanese have a very idealized idea of Paris but not of the US as far as I know...

I had some mildly rude waiters in Paris (like in NYC, in Germany, NZ and basically everywhere else where i lived), but never been shouted at.
If it happens with no good reasons, it is definitely NOT normal and you should just ask to talk to the manager or just get up and leave the restaurant without paying (or just punch him) like you would do anywhere else in the world.

midonnay

hmmm..... my uncle suffered a psychotic break in Paris....

after a week there on holiday, started walking up and down the hotel aimlessly and scared the other guests.

got his arse deported :(

When I first went to Japan I really felt like a barbaric xenos. Damnit everyone was so friendly, disciplined and I didn't feel unsafe at all, even at night.

I almost had to be repatriated becasue I was probably suffering "Reverse Paris Syndrome" :D

This may sound like weaboo talk but I really felt that way then.

Fusebox

Banned
SmokyDave said:
When in France, speak French.

Also, partially, because I know that an English waiter would act the same when confronted with a French speaking customer.

No decent Australian waiter would risk being such a cock to a foreigner for such a stupid reason, they'd end up with the entire restaurant being slated in an intro piece for Today Tonight or some other equally shit current affairs show.

And yeah, Japan is an amazing place to visit. Everyone is so polite, no wonder they freak out when they go overseas and the arseholes-in-near-proximity ratio shoots through the roof.

StevePharma said:
When I first went to Japan I really felt like a barbaric xenos. Damnit everyone was so friendly, disciplined and I didn't feel unsafe at all, even at night.

Don't need to go that far. I was really dumbfounded when I started living in the UK. Why are all those unknown people polite and friendly ? Why are store clerks treating me like a valuable customer and not ignoring me ? Why are people queuing in order of arrival ? Why are the cops helfpul and not threatening ? WHY IS THE SUPERMARKET LADY CALLING ME "LUV" ?

(Of course there was also a lot of "why are all these girls dressed like hookers and oh my god why are they puking on the street" ?)

SmokyDave said:
I fucking love my country.

*Salutes*

It was a real cultural shock at first, I admit, although I blamed it on it being a university town. I (kinda) got used to it and finally felt comfortable enough so that I too once puked on the street (bad hangover, on a Saturday afternoon and in the middle of fucking High Street mind you).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It ain't Disney World

BaronLundi said:
Don't need to go that far. I was really dumbfounded when I started living in the UK. Why are all those unknown people polite and friendly ? Why are store clerks treating me like a valuable customer and not ignoring me ? Why are people queuing in order of arrival ? Why are the cops helfpul and not threatening ? WHY IS THE SUPERMARKET LADY CALLING ME "LUV" ?

(Of course there was also a lot of "why are all these girls dressed like hookers and oh my god why are they puking on the street" ?)
I had the exact opposite effect when I went from Southern USA to Northern USA

To be truthful I loved Paris, one of the better cities in Europe.

When I lived in East London and traveled around Europe, was easily the most fun for the 2 days I was there. Unlike some places like Amsterdam and Munich, which last you 2hours.

SmokyDave

BaronLundi said:
It was a real cultural shock at first, I admit, although I blamed it on it being a university town. I (kinda) got used to it and finally felt comfortable enough so that I too once puked on the street (bad hangover, on a Saturday afternoon and in the middle of fucking High Street mind you).
Anywhere with students or squaddies looks like a fucking warzone on a Friday or Saturday night. Dignity, self-respect and inhibitions are left at the door. The only real way to deal with it is as you've found: get involved :)

Raist

Banned
BaronLundi said:

1. It's a trap. They want to backstab us and take our moniez.
2. French accent man.

BigDug13

I'm stationed in Yokosuka, Japan, about 30 minutes south of Yokohama and 60 minutes south of Tokyo by train.

I've never been to a more quiet, civilized, honorable place in my life. A friend of mine got lost and tried to ask a local woman for directions, but she couldn't speak English. She called her daughter at home to come and physically help the guy find his way because she spoke some English. It's not unusual for someone to take you to where you're trying to go. Or to spend a large quantity of time to genuinely try to understand you. Customers are like Gods in any customer service industry. No tips and yet the waiter service is the best in the world.

We had a bus driver calling all of his bus driver friends and actually starting his next scheduled run late (something that doesn't happen in Japanese public transport) in order to try to find a guy's wallet he left on a previous bus.

They don't expect you to speak Japanese. They can tell that you're a foreigner. If you can speak Japanese, they're really surprised. But that can turn bad. If you speak Japanese, suddenly they expect you to also act Japanese and following cultural norms becomes expected. In some ways it's better to play the "I'm just a foreigner that doesn't know anything about Japan" card.

A couple of drunk guys were yelling at each other on the train one day. You never hear that. Everyone else was just looking at the floor while me and the American musician sitting across from me were trying to look over to see what was going on. It's even frowned upon to be on your cell phone (voice-wise) On the train.

The culture difference is startling. Saving face, maintaining honor, apologizing when you commit a wrong and apologizing again when you see the person again is normal. Same for thank yous.

There's an entire language for every type of position someone is to you. Your boss warrants a different language than your mother in law...distal honorific compared to close honorific. While your good friend gets a different language than your equal coworker....direct and distal. While your child gets a different language than your subordinates at work....direct and distal, but tailored as someone speaking to someone below them. Like Sensei to Gakusei.

If a neighbor's dog was shitting in their yard, they would complain about it in closed doors but would never complain to the offending neighbor. That would upset the balance of the neighborhood. Sense of community, something that America used to have, exists in spades here.

I can see why someone from Japan would experience culture shock in any other country. Having anyone in a customer service position act disrespectful to the customer would be enough to be shocking to the Japanese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom