• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese True Fantasy Live Online Fans Demand Answers!

novery

The True Fantasy Live Online community is pissed! Particularly Xbox fansite owners. After putting countless hours into building unofficial websites promoting the now-canceled online role-playing game, a group of webmasters are firing back at Microsoft, demanding answers to a number of questions.

On my site http://engxbox.com (shameless plug!) I translated the following letter from the original Japanese text which has already been sent to Microsoft Japan on behalf of the TFLO fan community and all Xbox webmasters in Japan:

To Microsoft Corporation:

In response to the cancellation of True Fantasy Live Online (TFLO), we official fansite owners cannot help but feel regret and irritation. In anticipation for the game’s release, we started TFLO-exclusive websites. Now we, along with our daily readers, are very confused by the game’s cancellation.

As an Xbox community in Japan, our voice is very small yet we gave you our full backing and support. This recent news is something we cannot ignore. Our readers, as well as ourselves, have a number of questions we’d like answered.

We invited people to volunteer the questions they would most like to have answered. Please note that your replies will not just be read by us webmasters; we will surely post them online for our community to read.

1) How far along in development was TFLO? What percentage?

2) What was the most prudent reason for canceling the development of TFLO?

3) Can you say for certain that TFLO development is dead? Is there any chance in the future that development will continue again?

4) Clearly you were having trouble developing this game, yet you continued to do a full-fledged beta test application process. Why is that?

5) As for the TFLO properties you currently have (game world, characters, game interface, etc), is there any chance we’ll see some remnants of it in the future? Perhaps in a different game?

6) We strongly think Level 5 is concealing some troubling information about its relationship to Xbox. Will this information ever see the light of day?

7) In the near future will there be any good news for us TFLO fans?

Please answer these questions quickly and thoroughly. We are waiting for your reply.

Signed,
Microsoft Xbox Fansite Owners

belgurdo

Banned
Didn't want your game cancelled? Should have supported the system more instead of buying multiple copies of Rape Rape Highschool for the PS2.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SPAM

How many people were gonna buy TFLO anyway? Weren't they gonna charge a monthly fee on top of the Xbox Live fee?

Ferrio

Banned
belgurdo said:
Didn't want your game cancelled? Should have supported the system more instead of buying multiple copies of Rape Rape Highschool for the PS2.

That sounds like a photoshop project.

Soul4ger

CrimsonSkies said:
They should direct their e-mails to Level 5 who apparently couldn't pull off a good MMORPG in a timely manner.

You'd have trouble, too, if you were working on DQVIII all the time.

These people make me laugh. Oh my God, they started fansites, check out their dedication!

belgurdo

Banned
CrimsonSkies said:
They should direct their e-mails to Level 5 who apparently couldn't pull off a good MMORPG in a timely manner.

I was thinking that too; I figure the real reason they cancelled it was because it'd do shit on the market compared to DQVIII, so they merged the dev teams

Kuroyume

Banned
belgurdo said:

Yeah you're right, we need the roll eyes icon back...

GDGF

Soothsayer
If I were you, I'd post this on the G4TTV boards under the Pulse section. They're pretty good about looking into things like that and speaking about them on the show.

nitewulf

iwtk?
ok you guys are going overboard with the acronyms...
and what exactly is a "sporsk"? or ""sporks" for that matter?

belgurdo said:

The full name is Rape Rape High School Emotion Explosion ~memories of "that place," in summer days~

And it's a Dreamcast exclusive. Get your facts straight!

u_neek

Ferrio said:
That sounds like a photoshop project.

meh!

Rape%20Rape%20High.jpg

Azih

Matlock said:
In Japan, at least. In America, I doubt this'll make a dent.
Yeah I was talking about Japan only. With the TFLO fans pissed off the only built in audience for Xenon in Japan is the DoA fans. If Itagaki jumps ship then launching the Xenon in Japan would be beyond pointless.

I for one am seriously pissed about this TFLO was one of my most expectant titles. With Character customization being as devaloped as it was, I was going to make Vampire Hunter D.

Citizen Zero has also apparently been canceled from what I hear. WTF does MS have against MMORPG's? Is it the fact that PSO tanked? That game was so old, that no one wanted to play it anymore.

mr2mike

Banned
Well sucks, I was looking fowards tot he game. I'd like the explaination too :\

haha, I have to get me that! :p

PS: first post since the board is back up, I'm the idiot formerly known as kaji ;)

CVXFREAK said:
I'm surprised there are even Japanese Xbox fansites. Seriously.
They're probably run by non-Japanese residing in Japan ;)

Seriously though, why the fuck would MS honestly listen to the 50 or so Japanese Xbox owners that would actually buy this.

Bottomline is, MS made a smart move by doing what they did. TFLO was a money pit with little to no chance of turning a profit. It would have required continual maintenance expenses to top it all off with no assurances of how large their userbase would be to cover this. Don't forget that MS is actually going to start ramping up development for their next system too and TFLO wouldn't have worked since all indications point to the Xenon not having a HD. I don't understand why this information is so hard for some people to comprehend.

CrimsonSkies said:

And can you name me one MMORPG that fills that description? MS should have known a quality MMORPG couldn't have been done in 1-2 years (They should have realized this by all the delays to their single player games) and either have gone ahead with this game knowing it would be a while, or kept it under wraps so people in Japan (What few there are), wouldn't have boughten an XBOX for something that was likely to be vaporware (If quick development was essential for it becoming reality.)

Top Bottom