• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Uncharted vita price announced, Western price still $39.99 at stores

Not sure if this has been posted yet.

¥ 5980 for retail. (~$79)
¥ 4900 for digital. (~$64)

http://www.famitsu.com/blog/uncharted/2011/10/ps_vita_1.html#more

Seems premium priced but japan is weird (I think DQ9 was similar priced?)

Erethian said:
Both of the PS3 Uncharted games had the same 5980 yen retail price.

//Mod Edit:

To give a perspective of how Japanese handheld games are priced.

1UP said:
Dragon Quest series creator/producer Yuji Horii's casually announcement of the development of Dragon Quest X for Nintendo's Wii wasn't the only big news from last nights Tokyo Park Hyatt press conference. Square Enix also revealed Dragon Quest IX release details.

The Nintendo DS game will be released on March 28, 2009 in Japan for ¥5980, somewhat more expensive than the ¥4800 DS average but still well below many predictions.
Source: http://www.1up.com/news/dragon-quest-price-release-date

Le-mo said:
That's about $77 U.S.?

Games in Japan are typically more expensive than in the US/EU. We should be looking at how that compares with average PSP pricing (speaking of which, what is the average price of a PSP game in Japan?)

In b4 the inevitable rage.

$59.99+ US will be a non-starter for many in this region.

This will be a long and unpleasant thread. My popcorn is ready.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Pricing but no box art? I leave sad and disappointed.

subversus said:
What?! 80$?! Is this a joke?
Exchange rates make things look crazy.

Just a short time ago, 5980 yen was only $60. Still high, but a world of difference.

Emitan

good thing we dont pay japanese prices on games and everyone knows that right

This is going to be 10 pages of shit, isn't it?

DGRE

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Games in Japan are typically more expensive than in the US/EU. We should be looking at how that compares with average PSP pricing (speaking of which, what is the average price of a PSP game in Japan?)
Yeah we really just need to go by Japanese PSP game pricing and get an idea of the markup, if any.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Err I don't think you guys realize how much 3DS games cost in Japan.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Nonoriri said:
Err I don't think you guys realize how much 3DS games cost in Japan.
Are you telling me the average western gamer doesn't know how Japanese game pricing works? SHOCKING.

Erethian

Nuclear Muffin said:

PSP games were around 5000 yen at launch, so it's a bump up. On the other hand PSP software prices have gone up since launch, for certain franchises.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
thetrin said:
Are you telling me the average western gamer doesn't know how Japanese game pricing works? SHOCKING.

You've got the internet, just like me.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Sub_Level said:
I was hoping for $40 -_-
The US will probably get Vita games priced at $50 which means that the UK will pay £40 (And thus not sell many software units at all). People were so focussed on the hardware price of Vita that they missed the fact that development inflation would mean that software prices would probably increase.

I wouldn't be shocked if certain 3rd parties tried for $60 retail for Vita games.

As for this, well this isn't a shock for Japan really. Some games (MH3G included) retail at higher than others.

Gravijah said:
btw people you can pre-order uncharted vita for 39.99 on amazon right this second.
If Vita can keep game prices at $40 this gen then Vita will do well. Given dev costs are probably set to skyrocket on the platform, I cannot see that price being sustained for long.

Cipherr

Dreams-Visions said:
by all means let us know before the natives get fully restless.

Monster Hunter 3G
Release Date: 10th Dec 2011
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Number of Players: 1 (2 - 4 Local Play), StreetPass Support, Internet (Quest Download)
Save Data: 3
Retail Price: 5800 Yen (Normal Edition), 6990 Yen (Slide Pad + Game), 20800Yen (Limited 3DS Bundle)
E-Capcom Exclusive : http://www.e-capcom.com/mh3G

I have no idea however if MH3G and DQ9 are premium priced though or if thats just the going rate for 3DS and DS games. MH and DQ can command a premium, so its expected (in Japan at least) I dont know about Uncharted though.

androvsky

http://andriasang.com/objlwd/
Name (RMN)Senran Kagura
Name (JPN) 閃乱カグラ -少女達の真影-
Categories Game
Release Date2011-09-22
Price 5980 yen
Maker Marvelous Entertainment
Platform Nintendo 3DS
Picked a random 3ds game, that help any?

Should I find a PSP game that's more expensive next?

Gravijah

retailers started putting $39.99 prices up for games when the pre-orders for the vita went up, which was when the price was announced.

fernoca

Basically what's been implied is that:
3DS games that cost 5980 yen in Japan, were released as $39.99 games in the US.

So based on that, Vita games will cost $39.99 in the US. ...unless SCEA just decides to price them higher. :p

Maxrpg said:
@nirolak its release date is also 12/31/2011. In GameStop Speak that's "Pricing and Date TBD."

to be fair gamespot's pricing predictions tends to be more spot on compared to their release dates.

We shall see though until Sony finally gives the word for NA

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Gravijah said:
retailers started putting $39.99 prices up for games when the pre-orders for the vita went up, which was when the price was announced.

But it's placeholder prices and retailers love losing money!

Cipherr

Found launch prices for 3DS.

http://kotaku.com/5728228/the-ten-3ds-launch-titles-in-japan

• Nintendogs & Cats ¥4,800
  • Winning Eleven Soccer 3D ¥5,800
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition ¥4,800
  • Samurai Warriors: Chronicle ¥6,090
  • Puzzle Bobble 3D ¥4,980
  • Ridge Racer 3D ¥6,090
  • Battle of the Giants: Dinosaurs 3D ¥5,040
  • Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle ¥5,980

Nonoriri was right on point pretty much. For PSV prices we wont know what the ranges are until we get more prices tbh, this is just one game.

Erethian

3rd party games have generally seen an increase from the start of the DS, where they were around 5000 yen, to being close to 6000 yen for the 3DS. Not surprising considering that's what a lot of PSP games cost now.

What makes it kinda stupid sometimes is how Nintendo have stuck with the 4800 yen pricing for their games. But then Nintendo tends to price their games lower than third parties irrespective of platform.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Japan is expensive then you throw in a conversion to $ where the Yen has strengthened crazily.

I used to work on 100 yen = $1 for importing stuff

now it's 75-76 yen = $1 ... ZOMG 25% Imports! ;)

5800 yen is 5800 yen - if you get my drift. I guess that's only relevant for us that live here and get paid in yen i guess, but still.

Top Bottom