• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: Sony’s Obsession With Blockbusters Is Stirring Unrest Within PlayStation Empire

Last of Us 1 is my favourite game of all time. It holds up fine. There is no need to remake it yet.

Seems like a massive waste of 2-3 studios time when they could be making new IPs.

Naughty Dog making a new uncharted is very Disappointing. Either go straight into The last of Us 3 or make a new IP.

Naughty Dog also in charge of the Last of Us remake is another waste of their time.

Also Bend only just starting in their new game does not bode well.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

R082dca78724c90ab2c05df664db153ee

On the notion that there is remotely any truth to this: Why the fuck would you even consider remaking the original The last of us. The graphics of the original still hold up and it got a remaster last gen.

Whose bright initiative was this? Is Druckmann really that bent on rewriting the narrative to fit with the characterization of Joel in the sequel?

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
This is a problem. If true, Sony needs to take a step back and do a reeval. If they "crave blockbusters" and want more output, then they need to grow their portfolio. Depending on the timeframe, that either means nurturing smaller studios or acquiring pre-existing ones like MS.

But I think the consolidation we're seeing in the gaming industry isn't great. It's no more a positive thing than Disney in film.

But what do I know, I'm not a c-level exec at a Fortune 500 company with an MBA and narcissistic personality disorder. I'm not especially qualified to make these kinds of analyses.

Last edited:

Zato

Banned
Oh no, only Blockbusters ..... so bad.

Also the gaming audience are responsible for this, PS3 era had lots of experimentation ....... sales didnt play out.

Voted with your wallets and we got what we get.

Love the disconnect the audience believes it has from driving the industry and its trends.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Why in the absolute flying fuck would you remake TLOU1? Opinions on the game aside, it's playable on PS3, 4 and 5 and hasn't really aged. TLOU2 is mechanically the same damn game with better AI. What a gigantic waste of time and money.

Elog

Always hard to assess things like this. Teams that have got their funding stripped because someone does not believe that the project will be successful are almost always a bit sour since they believed in the project. Is this standard reshuffling of resources within a large organization - that is healthy? Or is it an obsession with large brands which stifle innovation and renewal of the portfolio? The difference might seem subtle but it is in reality a world apart.

Hard to tell from the outside. The Japan studio story is fully understandable from the outside given the low output of quality games for years so that Jason brings up that one does not make the overall story more credible in my opinion.

El_Cinefilo

Starting to remake a game 5 years after you released it and 4 years after you remastered it is baffling. I suppose a 2013 game is basically dirt to Jim Ryan though so it fits.

I understand Days Gone not getting a sequel but turning them in to a support studio causing it's creatives to leave is nuts too.

demonstr8

I don't want to be a drama queen but this is really, really bad news to me in basically every case.

A focus on blockbusters is the polar opposite of the games I bought the PS4 for (Bloodborne, Persona 5/Royal).

The Last of Us is the absolute last game on the planet that needs a remake as we literally just had a remaster of it on PS4 and it plays perfectly well.

With Days Gone I could take it or leave it as I thought it was good but not great.

As for Naughty Dog working on another Uncharted - it's to be expected as it's a money maker - but I was hoping they were gonna be working on ANY thing that wasn't UC or TLoU. That Dark Fantasy art looked really good although it was probably nothing.

It's really disappointing as every day it's as though PlayStation slips further and further what it was on the PS1 and PS2. Thanks for reading my shitty vent post.

Mmnow

On the notion that there is remotely any truth to this: Why the fuck would you even consider remaking the original The last of us. The graphics of the original still hold up and it got a remaster last gen.

Whose bright initiative was this? Is Druckmann really that bent on rewriting the narrative to fit with the characterization of Joel in the sequel?
The article explains it pretty well. They wanted to do an Uncharted remake but it was too big a job with no budget, so they pivoted to TLOU because it was easy to bring it up to PS5 standard without majorly changing the gameplay. They hoped that would egt them enough clout to move back to Uncharted.

Three

Ofcourse nobody would make small games if Schreier and Co talk as if they don't exist. Games like Returnal, Astrobot, Destruction Allstars, Sackboy: A big adventure, Demon's souls don't exist from Sony. I mean we have a bunch of people talking crap about Returnal already (they initially did about Days Gone too) and not a single mention of games like Returnal by Schreier in the article because it went against his narrative.
People pretend they care about non-blockbuster games but when it actually boils down to it they don't. They don't cover it and they don't speak much of it.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Well folks. If you want days gone back there's only one thing to do: buy the shit out of the PC port.

PCMR once again reporting in to save the day.

There's no way I get a ps5 after this crap so port BLOODBORNE to PC ASAP and good riddance. Who the hell wants a remake of a 2013 game? TLOU remastered is still a great looking and playing game. What more can you do to a cover shooter.

Also the Slyphon filter remake dreams are dead... Can't blame Sony since they follow the money but they are so far away from their ps1 and ps2 glory days.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I can't get over not only how stupid the idea of a Last of Us remake is, but the idea that somebody who isn't Naughty Dog would attempt it. Absolutely baffling. It was 110% the right call to bring in actual ND staffers to work on that thing if it had to exist in the first place. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

For their first solo project, Mumbauer and his crew wanted to pitch something that would be well received by their bosses at Sony. Recognizing the risks and expense involved with developing a new game from scratch, they decided to focus on remaking older games for the new PlayStation 5. Remakes are considered a safe bet since it’s cheaper to update and polish an old game than it is to start from scratch, and they can be sold both to nostalgic old fans and curious new ones. The team originally planned on a remake of the first Uncharted game, released by Naughty Dog in 2007. That idea quickly fizzled because it would be expensive and require too much added design work. Instead, the team settled on a remake of Naughty Dog’s 2013 melancholic zombie hit, The Last of Us.
Holy shit if this is true that’s absolutely shameful.

Top Bottom