• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Java update, not sure if legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamount

Banned
eJVRndA.jpg

I've been burnt a couple times with drive-by installs and this appears from nowhere. Anyone else receive it?

railGUN

Banned
People have been getting these for a few days - along with auto playing audio ads etc. EviLore keeps saying he will deal with them, or remove the ads, but it appears they are still problematic.

I haven't gotten any of these problematic ads for a few days (and never the Java one) but I'm pretty sure there is still a problem with malicious ads on the site.

diamount

Banned
People have been getting these for a few days - along with auto playing audio ads etc. EviLore keeps saying he will deal with them, or remove the ads, but it appears they are still problematic.

I haven't gotten any of these problematic ads for a few days (and never the Java one) but I'm pretty sure there is still a problem with malicious ads on the site.

Intrusive ads are one thing but potentially installing malware from a supposed reputable site won't go down well.

studyguy

Have to use Java at work.
Terrified that I'll google search directions to a business or do a random image search and I'll get hit with something that knocks my system out. Already had an exploit hit through looking up a business we had to contact. Crazy stuff.

gamma

I updated to the latest Java version a few days ago and Firefox is already blocking it because of security risks.

NJDEN

I concur, it looks quiet suspicious to me... I would just go directly to the Java website and download updates from there.

corn_fest

Offical Java updates are announced in JavaScript alert boxes with title capitalization and grammatical errors all the time. You've got nothing to worry about.

diamount

Banned
I appreciate the snide comments, really. No comments on why malicious popups are appearing on neogaf though - so lets simply brush that aside.

rpmurphy

I appreciate the snide comments, really. No comments on why malicious popups are appearing on neogaf though - so lets simply brush that aside.
I've gotten annoying redirect ads here as well. It's annoying and report it because they shouldn't be there.

I had a Java update today but it didn't look like that. It came up with a box and after installing, brought me to the official site.

The one in the OP doesn't look legit but there does appear to be a new update for Java.

kevm3

Uninstalling Java was one of the best things I've done. It's extremely annoying having some new update constantly pop up.

RoySFNR

Things like these are just scary. Most of the time you get these pop-ups, your computer is already dead and they're just trying to make it worse and a lot of virusscanners do jack shit about it.

That said, no one should ever fall for messages which start with WARNING!!! and then proceed to use random captial letters Like This and also only give the option to agree.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
If it's not packaged with McAfee, it's not Java.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom