• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaxel- On the big Tournament Organizers in the Fighting Game Community

kirblar

No shit? There are Pokemon Nationals and World Championships? I'm not sure whether I should pee my pants from laughing so hard, or I should be shocked and amazed by this. Either way, I gotta check this out.

Wish my bladder good luck!
MTG just beat YGO's record this weekend (in Vegas actually, 645!) for the largest card tournament with 4500 participants.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Glad that some TOs got their accounts approved so they can address this. Doesn't sound like anybody's really gonna back Jaxel up. You know how to put on some really good streams Jaxel but it's kinda hard to take all this seriously when the only person saying this kind of stuff is you, even if I can believe that some of your grievances may be rooted in some kind of reality.

Jaxel has talked about this stuff on his streams for a while so I'm glad it's finally being discussed in a way that's not so one-sided, even if GAF's account policies stand in the way a bit.

Shouta

It's strictly a dismissively-used distinction that helps no one...

I would agree that it isn't something tangible but I would disagree on it not being a real thing. It's this whole series of interdependent factors that create the idea of a "Capcom FGC." It's an unfortunate result of all the business and logistics decisions folks make to keep this show going that create it, as opposed to active choices on any single person's part.

Deadly Bison stream looked like it was in a hallway.

Yeah, that was just a little crazy. Made for a hella amusing scene during the SFxT Top 8 or 6 or whatever. Crowd around there was pretty much all the top-players watching it while everyone else was in the big room watching Marvel.

Glad that some TOs got their accounts approved so they can address this. Doesn't sound like anybody's really gonna back Jaxel up. You know how to put on some really good streams Jaxel but it's kinda hard to take all this seriously when the only person saying this kind of stuff is you, even if I can believe that some of your grievances may be rooted in some kind of reality.

Jaxel has talked about this stuff on his streams for a while so I'm glad it's finally being discussed in a way that's not so one-sided, even if GAF's account policies stand in the way a bit.

Only Renegade's really chimed in significantly. I'd really wish SJCage would talk a bit. What we're really lacking is proper explanations of the situations to see what and where it went wrong. All we get is 'They're all shady, greedy a-holes!" "He's a lying conspiracy theorist trying to spin it so we all look bad!"

https://twitter.com/thisislijoe/status/348950310120734720

It's safe to say that the majority of people posting in this thread or on neogaf don't think that FGC TOs are walking away with massive amounts of money, right? It's getting characterized as such by people who aren't following this thread, and it's become a bit of a strawman for actual issues since claiming the entire competitive community is some sort of uber-profitable cartel is pretty ridiculous.

It's safe to say that the majority of people posting in this thread or on neogaf don't think that FGC TOs are walking away with massive amounts of money, right? It's getting characterized as such by people who aren't following this thread, and it's become a bit of a strawman for actual issues since claiming the entire competitive community is some sort of uber-profitable cartel is pretty ridiculous.

Yeah not all of us agree or think that TO's are making great money from tournaments but people will always generalize forums/gaf as if we are all a single minded hivemind.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Correct! (Guys + Bad air conditioning = problem. Regardless of circumstance.)

I've been to enough anime conventions to know this all too well :(

No, I think the main focus should be on how he got fucked over/treated multiple times not the other stuff people seem to be taking the conversation into.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Only Renegade's really chimed in significantly. I'd really wish SJCage would talk a bit. What we're really lacking is proper explanations of the situations to see what and where it went wrong. All we get is 'They're all shady, greedy a-holes!" "He's a lying conspiracy theorist trying to spin it so we all look bad!"

Yeah that's true, but a good amount of people in the know have chimed in, here and elsewhere. But yeah, hopefully we hear more from actual TOs.

Generalizations: the thread.

Shouta

Yup. But half those guys can't bother reading and comprehending what's going on. Granted there's some stupid hyperbole on Jaxel's part that clouds the issue severely. But the bottom line to all of that argument is that the TOs Jaxel's worked with are making something but didn't pay or support him for services render. It's on Jaxel for not doing business properly to get his money of course. But everyone seems to miss the point of not paying a guy that's working your event and just talking about the money. And we're the clowns? =|

Kikujiro

No, I think the main focus should be on how he got fucked over/treated multiple times not the other stuff people seem to be taking the conversation into.

That's why he should've limited himself with his personal problem with specific people (Big-E) and not start generalizing about things he doesn't know (money). And the handling of this issue here has been pretty bad, why open a topic with serious allegation and misinformation without first listening to the other part? People who don't care about the FGC will read the thread and take Jaxel's posts at face value, so all FGC = shady Capcom illuminati individuals.

Dreamland Boy

Neo Member
People who don't care about the FGC will read the thread and take Jaxel's posts at face value, so all FGC = shady Capcom illuminati individuals.
And thus Jaxel gets a kind of compensation from the people that have wronged him?

I like the guy and enjoyed watching his streams of HOMM6 and Secret World but the stories and drama that crop up like this have pretty much stopped me from watching and supporting the FGC. Can't we all just play fighting games without trying to rip each other off?

Bring back Haunts versus the World is what I say!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
That's why he should've limited himself with his personal problem with specific people (Big-E) and not start generalizing about things he doesn't know (money). And the handling of this issue here has been pretty bad, why open a topic with serious allegation and misinformation without first listening to the other part? People who don't care about the FGC will read the thread and take Jaxel's posts at face value, so all FGC = shady Capcom illuminati individuals.

Where would you have had him post this then?

Been reading this thread and you're not the first person on or off the site to make this observation.

but so far no one has provided an alternative other than, well, "STOP. SNITCHING"

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
No, welcome to the FGC. Where we people can't be arsed to put any actual thought into it.

Yeah it certainly seems that way.

Despite all efforts being made to mediate a discussion between both sides, the discussion doesn't seem capable of progressing passed criticizing the forum and argumentum ad hominem

Chindogg

No, welcome to the FGC. Where we people can't be arsed to put any actual thought into it.

There's thought put into it, but its done on a private level between individuals. Not everyone wants to air their dirty laundry out on a public forum for everyone's entertainment, hence the whole pushback by many members (myself included.)

Kikujiro

And thus Jaxel gets a kind of compensation from the people that have wronged him?

I like the guy and enjoyed watching his streams of HOMM6 and Secret World but the stories and drama that crop up like this have pretty much stopped me from watching and supporting the FGC. Can't we all just play fighting games without trying to rip each other off?

Bring back Haunts versus the World is what I say!

Where would you have had him post this then?

His problems with Big-E and other people, which I don't have any problem to believe in, are personal matters and they were posted on the weekly thread, don't know why they deserve a thread. His conjectures about TOs and how much money they make are indeed conjectures and not worthy of a thread because you don't generalize on something without anything to back it up.

This is not "stop snitching", I don't understand where did you get that from my post.
Discussing this kind of things is totally fine, but with a thread like this it will never work, people will get immediately defensive and it becomes Us vs Them. The moment Jaxel wrote misinformation he made himself an easy target. If we want to ask for explanations about certain issues we should start from a neutral ground, not something like this.

Warpticon

That breeze feels so good. Can I get some more? ;)

Sure, just scroll up a bit.

My point, and the reason I cut off at that point, was that this is pretty common Jaxel MO. Even if he's right, he sabotages his own point with extraneous, presumptive, and tangental addenda that detract from his main point and ransack his credibility..then he complains that nobody likes him because he tells the truth.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
We're about to have three straight weeks of FGC goodness and this BS had to come up. This thread shouldn't have been made. Jaxel is a big boy. He can speak for and take care of himself. Leave all this BS in the weekly threads. Most of GAF doesn't care about this nor should they. If someone wants to chime in over there. Whatever. This is just causing more of a mess than there should be from both parties.

BlackShinobi (SRK poster) asked that I share this:
http://shinob-e.com/?p=144

I'm not taking any sides, I'm just doing BlackShinobi a favor by sharing his perspective. I know several posters here have hoped that people of other opinions would chime in.

I will add that BlackShinobi did give away a fight stick; I know this because I was its lucky recipient, and it was due to this generosity that I was able to attend UFGT9.

It almost sounds like nobody can make anything approaching a living in the FGC. How is this sustainable?

2San

Yeah, I won't say anything about the FGC as whole. However this lijoe fella really doesn't seem that bright.
His problems with Big-E and other people, which I don't have any problem to believe in, are personal matters and they were posted on the weekly thread, don't know why they deserve a thread. His conjectures about TOs and how much money they make are indeed conjectures and not worthy of a thread because you don't generalize on something without anything to back it up.
But it is an interesting story and we are getting both sides of the story. We have rumor threads all the time.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The stop snitching was a direct reference to another post.

What I meant was that alot of people before you have made the observation that posting on neogaf was a bad move considering the requirements to have an account here.

but so far no one has suggested an alternative other than that he shouldn't have brought the issue about at all or handled it privately.

Which doesn't make sense when you read his post. Trying to handle it privately is what got him to this point.

Shouta

There's thought put into it, but its done on a private level between individuals. Not everyone wants to air their dirty laundry out on a public forum for everyone's entertainment, hence the whole pushback by many members (myself included.)

If the details want to be handled in private, sure thing. But you have to admit that some of this can easily be cleared up with a simple discussion.

For example, Jaxel said he thought he lost some work at ECT because of Big-E when SJCage said there wasn't enough space. Apparently that isn't the case, going by his twitter feed, but he hasn't talked to Jaxel to clear that up. I even got his account approved if he wants to do so here.

That's the kind of thing that can be fixed without needing to divulge any any information.

The stop snitching was a direct reference to another post.

What I meant was that alot of people before you have made the observation that posting on neogaf was a bad move considering the requirements to have an account here.

but so far no one has suggested an alternative other than that he shouldn't have brought the issue about at all or handled it privately.

Which doesn't make sense when you read his post. Trying to handle it privately is what got him to this point.

That's the jist of it more or less. He tried handling it privately, it got him screwed. Where else do you go, really? Twitter? That's no avenue for a real discussion.

Lets continue with the generalizations.

its not generalization. I didn't say everybody in the FGC is an idiot. I said there are a lot especially on the East Coast.

Who were the people that started the whole "evo is pocketing the donation money" conspiracy again?

I can name the players if you want and I can sure tell you they are mostly if not all on the east coast.

kick51

Banned
I am almost embarrassed to be a part of the FGC. A bunch of idiots with reading comprehension issues. Maybe its just EC FGC.

See, now that's just unhelpful, righteous bullshit.

Yeah it certainly seems that way.

Despite all efforts being made to mediate a discussion between both sides, the discussion doesn't seem capable of progressing passed criticizing the forum and argumentum ad hominem

uh, what? One comment from LIJoe undoes all 8 pages of discussion about this?

See, now that's just unhelpful, righteous bullshit.

rofl how is it righteous bullshit? I can't call out people who have problem reading? I'm sorry.

One person post something about 30k = tons claiming TO making 30k off a major. Just like how Jaxel mention something about how he heard about a game getting 3k at evo then people jumped on that saying "Jaxel saying evo winners making 3k".

If people can't spend the time to read and understand what is being said/typed then they shouldn't even be reading in the first place.

A lot of this "drama" would be squash if people actually read. But they don't. Its a lot of "he said, she said. Read OP post and have an opinion".

kick51

Banned
rofl how is it righteous bullshit? I can't call out people who have problem reading? I'm sorry.

One person post something about 30k = tons claiming TO making 30k off a major. Just like how Jaxel mention something about how he heard about a game getting 3k at evo then people jumped on that saying "Jaxel saying evo winners making 3k".

If people can't spend the time to read and understand what is being said/typed then they shouldn't even be reading in the first place.

You didn't call out anyone, you made a passive aggressive comment that generalized the East Coast.

kick51

Banned
okay, maybe not pack the thread up, but maybe clean up the OP because 80% of it has been corrected, updated, retracted, and it's clear that people are getting confused. Pretty presumptuous that anyone should have to go through the thread and cross check the OP with what's being posted on each page.

If you had Neogaf Gold, it would be only 4 pages.

I have Neogaf Platinum, which has all the secret replies.

I know Jaxel personally and the people he mentioned. I got to hang with his family as well. He did a lot for the Virtua Fighter scene in the early days of VF5 at his house. With that said. It seems you wanted something out of it the whole time. While others did it because they enjoyed it. But again, its deeper than that.

kazuo

This is true. Everybody who's anybody at streaming uses his Panel Writer, unless they happen to be hot shit at coding their own comparable solutions.

Jaxel's panel writer != All Stream Tech

Pretty sure everyone with a Mac isn't using it since Macs don't have Xsplit. So, you're saying streamers like Haunts, Worstgiefever are "[nobodies] at streaming" since they don't use it?

Welcome to the Jaxeldome, folks, enjoy your stay.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
uh, what? One comment from LIJoe undoes all 8 pages of discussion about this?

LI. Joe, Viscant, BlackShinobi and a ton of other people.

They seem to be zeroing in on the exaggerations and inaccuracies in Jaxel's statement, which I do think need to be called out on some level

but it seems people are avoiding addressing the central point of his statements. That not only was he disrespected and not properly compensated for his community work, but he was also seemingly blacklisted from other events losing out on alot of money for speaking up for himself.

We have 8 pages and I'm not saying it was all circular and unproductive, but I mean we're on page 8 and people are still saying "I don't think posting this publically was a good idea" and talking about blanket statements and actual pot figures and so many other things that are besides the main point of his posts

This is completely ignoring all the dismissive hit and run posts. (JUST JAXEL BEING JAXEL. OH BOY MORE FGC DRAMA)

Top Bottom