• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay-Z takes to Twitter to damage control Tidal rollout

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, a version of BBC Introducing with 1% of the reach and a single-service (read: pointless) version of TuneCore. Woo hoo. Literally zero original ideas and still executed badly.

PS: Sounditz doesn't allow uploads of your files, Google Play does. Google also do downloads. Sounditz only converts playlists from one streaming service to another, so you can convert all your Tidal playlists into Spotify playlists. Try again.

I don't even understand this comment. Spotify is a BBC. Itunes is a BBC. Pandora is a BBC. Google is a BBC. You make it seem like all these other services where made off the poor backs of some college students who made an idea on how they were going to take back the music from the industry that has ruined them for years to come. They are all apart of the same circle and play by the same rules in the industry on who and what they can offer to anyone.

Originality or not, its about convenience. It's about accessibility. It's about offering what others do not include with their own service. Why should i put my music through tunecore to upload to Spotify if I can directly upload it without the help of such service to the service I want. No sign up, no hassle, no gimmicks. You know, sort of like a legal soundcloud, but should soundcloud be unoriginal because TuneCore existed first? Wtf

Thirdly, Google allows uploads because it doubles over as a music marketplace where you can by music. Obviously, it's different than Spotify on a whole other level where as you can't do that with Spotify because you technically don't own the music you are listening too.....But of course, for all other perks with Google, you still need to pay $10 as there's no free option. Go figure. And essentially, you can download all your music as one large playlist but I guess that's too hard.

Indie artists can already keep 100% of their royalties from Spotify.

The problem is labels disproportionately hoovering it all up, that will still remain and they want it to remain which is why their own part of Tidal and the service is reliant on them licensing their music. They call the shots, not Tidal, and least of all the artist.

It's an industry attempt to kill free streaming presented as if that is the big problem for artists, it's not.

Spotify's model has grown the industry, streaming is bringing in more revenue than downloads, where it goes is the industry's problem not the consumer's.

No they don't and I do not understand where you are getting this idea that they do. To add your music on Spotify, you need to go to a third party, in which you have to pay to get your stuff listed. It does not work like soundcloud where you upload and go. There is a middleman there and this has been echoed by a lot of indie artist. Sure they keep their royalties but having to go through an aggressor is still an unnecessary step that doesn't equate it as being convenient. There is still a middleman. Until there is a direct to host then we are talking, which only one seems to be trying to do

Next, this industry attempt BS is still some notion you cooked up to convince yourself that this service is still nothing but a sheep in wolves clothing, which it isn't. All streaming service has to answer to labels. Even spotify themselves. Spotify free isn't so free as it is and that Ads revenue has to go to somewhere. However if Sony, Universal and other choose to pull out, trust and believe that Spotify will have to play ball. I can't understand this talk as if we are the artist themselves who really know what's going on when we certainly don't. The free option isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but that doesn't mean that every other service including Beats Music will be someway to kill free. Free isn't free as it is.

It's not right to blame consumers for the the way the industry goes but I still compare it to labels of all industries. Take a look at the gaming industry. Some people do need the help of labels to even get their feet in the door, whether that be with funding etc. Indie games have their place in the industry but at the same time, it's largely unavoidable that when the money isn't there to put your art in the place it needs to be, the help is only a call and a contract away. At that point, you can't blame the industry when consumers aren't consuming enough and still are under that mentality that just because they work hard, they should receive someone elses hard work for free. It's not fair..

Wow, talk about ridiculous. Do they not know what spotify is?

Jay Z's talk about his experience with his so called "audience" and stating that they said it took so damn long before anything like Tidal got brought into their existence. Shameless that is. Just shameless.

Spotify has been present for years, almost a decade, but because the likes of Beyonce and Madonna feel that they deserve 50 million instead of 40 they are supporting this so called "new wave".

It is just rich people wanting to become richer over the backs of people who actually listen to their music, instead of downloading it from a torrent. They should be glad that Spotify is present or else piracy would have just become more and more frequent if people want to listen to their music.

I do not understand GAF's beef with this service. Weird.

It was a badly rolled out service. Artists that are multimillionaires were complaining about how they are not receiving enough money. It's the same crap as Taylor Swift complaining about spotify.

There is no free tier.

The thing services like Spotify, Pandora did was help bring down piracy. Tidal does not do that.

For a service that is supposed to be about Artists there was a big lack of transparency too. I heard artists receive 62.5%, now the tweets say 75%.

The service is about this group of millionaire musicians wanting to make more money for each song trying to make it seem they are helping artists not as wealthy as them.

I think indie artists lose when songs libraries are distributed across four platforms.

BokehKing

Banned
Fiend? Eh...

He has the buzz and clout hence why the world stops when he drops something, but once people listen they tend to shrug and go on with their business; I sense a general feeling that he fell off. At least when it comes to hip hop fans. Obviously he has pop fans excited with turds like Holy Grail.
The world stops to make fun of how lame he is maybe

That ether still burns his soul
And his business Ventures apparently

solarus

A lot of people in this thread dont seem to realise that theres a $10 option equivalent to spotify, the $20 tier is just for lossless audio quality.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
No they don't and I do not understand where you are getting this idea that they do. To add your music on Spotify, you need to go to a third party, in which you have to pay to get your stuff listed. It does not work like soundcloud where you upload and go. There is a middleman there and this has been echoed by a lot of indie artist. Sure they keep their royalties but having to go through an aggressor is still an unnecessary step that doesn't equate it as being convenient. There is still a middleman. Until there is a direct to host then we are talking, which only one seems to be trying to do

Next, this industry attempt BS is still some notion you cooked up to convince yourself that this service is still nothing but a sheep in wolves clothing, which it isn't. All streaming service has to answer to labels. Even spotify themselves. Spotify free isn't so free as it is and that Ads revenue has to go to somewhere. However if Sony, Universal and other choose to pull out, trust and believe that Spotify will have to play ball. I can't understand this talk as if we are the artist themselves who really know what's going on when we certainly don't. The free option isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but that doesn't mean that every other service including Beats Music will be someway to kill free. Free isn't free as it is.

It's not right to blame consumers for the the way the industry goes but I still compare it to labels of all industries. Take a look at the gaming industry. Some people do need the help of labels to even get their feet in the door, whether that be with funding etc. Indie games have their place in the industry but at the same time, it's largely unavoidable that when the money isn't there to put your art in the place it needs to be, the help is only a call and a contract away. At that point, you can't blame the industry when consumers aren't consuming enough and still are under that mentality that just because they work hard, they should receive someone elses hard work for free. It's not fair..

Yes they can.

There are a range of aggregators including ones where independent artists keep 100% of the royalties. Aggregators also get the artist on every service in one go, from streaming to downloads where the artist benefits more. As well as cataloging everything correctly so there are no duplicates, differing names, and other things that made hinder people finding stuff.

Digital distributors are not a problem, they are actually beneficial. Both to the artist and the listener. Uploading to a single service isn't a selling point especially a streaming service such as Tidal where the majority of the money will automatically go the labels because of the weight of their artists and back catalogues. Streaming services serve the labels, that's why the labels own part of them, and Tidal is a really disingenuous spin to put on all that.

For small acts streaming is most useful for exposure, and a free service provides the most exposure of all. This translates into popularity and ticket/merch sales, which is the way you should be rewarding the artists you like as has always been the way. If people aren't on free streaming sites they'd only be discovering the music they were already looking for.

You are eating up the spin, but really all this is about is putting pressure to end free streaming because the industry knows it's the future and wants as much from that as possible. Any new entrant into the field from Tidal to Apple is automatically part of this.

All the talk from Tidal is just an artist-friendly front on an industry-wide anti-consumer move. It's pure marketing. Even though the industry put this model in place, has benefitted very nicely from it and will do so even more as it grows, and would much rather just blame the consumer than change any of the ways they do business. This has always happened with the record industry, from cassette tapes, to iTunes, to now streaming. Something is always the enemy except the industry itself.

Market a better service that people will pay for over others if you have one, but don't try and pretend it's something which it isn't.

I though this was just a premium service, that let you hear lossless audio and cap your monthly data in two hours.

It was originally, but after that didn't work, a new management team came in and started the current strategy you see in this thread. Instead of focusing on audio quality as the center of the experience, the "new" Tidal is marketing itself as healthier for artists than streaming services such as Pandora and Spotify.

Up to this point, it has failed to gain traction and is seen as an attempt by established artists to increase the revenue they obtain from streaming services.

Jay Z's talk about his experience with his so called "audience" and stating that they said it took so damn long before anything like Tidal got brought into their existence. Shameless that is. Just shameless.

Spotify has been present for years, almost a decade, but because the likes of Beyonce and Madonna feel that they deserve 50 million instead of 40 they are supporting this so called "new wave".

It is just rich people wanting to become richer over the backs of people who actually listen to their music, instead of downloading it from a torrent. They should be glad that Spotify is present or else piracy would have just become more and more frequent if people want to listen to their music.

Definitely agree with you. The video left me speechless. Seems like the rich just want to get richer

Yes they can.

There are a range of aggregators including ones where independent artists keep 100% of the royalties. Aggregators also get the artist on every service in one go, from streaming to downloads where the artist benefits more. As well as cataloging everything correctly so there are no duplicates, differing names, and other things that made hinder people finding stuff.

Again, the point is the remove the aggressor. Aggressors require fees, and don't have the tools that other embedded services do. They get your music out there but the analytics behind it is seriously lacking, and that is not control or beneficial. Yes, it's a wholesale service, but lacks quality and depth. All the rest of the stuff you mentioned are basic features that even Windows Media has.

Digital distributors are not a problem, they are actually beneficial. Uploading to a single service isn't a selling point, especially to a streaming service such as Tidal where the majority of your money will automatically go the labels because of the weight of their artists and back catalogues. Streaming services serve the labels, that's why the labels own part of them, and Tidal is a really disingenuous spin to put on all that.

I don't know where you get this idea that uploading your stuff that you can control on individual areas aren't a selling point. If TuneCore or whomever gets hacked and your data across multiple sites are compromised, at least having everything seperate can be very beneficial. Having a backup everywhere is beneficial period.

And you are still missing the point that unless you are a big named artist that has a label behind you, as an indie artist, you are benefiting more than the typical artist, in which that 75% figure will still go to the individual. You keep trying to argue that Tidal is taking everything away from everyone big and small when it's a flat rate on everyone without favoritism. Its not like the label gets 75% and the indie just 50%. It's flat.

For small acts streaming is most useful for exposure, and a free service provides the most exposure of all. This translates into ticket and merch sales, which is the way you should be rewarding the artists you like as has always been the way. If people aren't on free streaming sites they'd only be discovering the music they were already looking for.

Yes, of course for exposure purposes it does help, but so does paying the bills. Let's stop making this seem like this can only be acceptable in music but everywhere else it can't work. If indie devs in gaming need an honest wage for their creation, then so does artist. Free isn't the answer regardless of exposure. I have some artist on Spotify that have less than 50,000 streams and regardless of free, they are not benefitting the same as bigger artist who have more than 1Mil+ streams and for whom most "free" users are listening to.

You are eating up the spin, but really all this is about is putting pressure to end free streaming because the industry knows it's the future and wants as much from that as possible. Any new entrant into the field from Tidal to Apple is automatically part of this.

All the talk from Tidal is just an artist-friendly front on an industry-wide anti-consumer move. Market a better service that people will pay for over others if you have one, but don't try and pretend it's something which it isn't.

I'm not eating the spin but reading the facts. Only you and a few have convinced yourself that any service that has a monetary value behind it is out to kill another competitor when that is not what it means at all. Competition helps the artist more than they are suppose to just help the consumer. Sucking up Spotify, once again, as the end all be all is going to be a problem, because essentially no one is allowing artist to have another way out. Free shouldn't be free if it wasn't free for the person who made their music. I think adding a bunch of already established artist is the only thing they did wrong...but as far as offering a bigger cut for all artist even if signed by a label is I think the big part of this service.

Wanting this to fail is expecting Spotify to dramatically up how much they are paying artist, big and small and giving them no incentive to do so. I don't care for how many time Spotify has said "We've dished out 700 million to Spotify artist worldwide" when knowing that the library of music on that sites worth far exceeds that number. I'm saying that competition is perfectly fine and at the end of the day, Mumford and Son, nor Marina or whomever can dictate how much other outside of their already growing fanbase what good for anyone including us. I think it should have time, just like other service to offer what others do not and that's what I'm waiting for. This non free argument was not made for any other service but Tidal which is so ridiculous. So i'll wait and see.

bigmase21

It was a badly rolled out service. Artists that are multimillionaires were complaining about how they are not receiving enough money. It's the same crap as Taylor Swift complaining about spotify.

And it's funny how she isn't even a part of Tidal with all the complaining she did

Cipherr

we don't believe you, you need more people

No one gives a fuck about Tidal. #TidalFacts

bFtgkt1.png

It was originally, but after that didn't work, a new management team came in and started the current strategy you see in this thread. Instead of focusing on audio quality as the center of the experience, the "new" Tidal is marketing itself as healthier for artists than streaming services such as Pandora and Spotify.

Up to this point, it has failed to gain traction and is seen as an attempt by established artists to increase the revenue they obtain from streaming services.

I love it! "You don't understand. Yes, you have to pay more money. But I get more of it see?"

Thank You, is more about supporting the artists you more. So they can get a bit more per son than with the opposing stream options, except people don't like it because they are already very popular. I guess, I'm not too sure ^_^U

Banned
These guys still make PLENTY on spotify. Its the indies who get screwed but still. I have a friend whos a small artist who earns $5000 a quarter and he hasnt even put out an album yet. Amd all the major labels got way better royality deals than indoes. Sure it aint the good old days but its still good.

TM94

My only issue with Tidal is the way it was revealed.

So pretentious it was beyond laughable.

'Saving music' by launching a streaming service, complete knobheads.

royalan

These guys still make PLENTY on spotify. Its the indies who get screwed but still. I have a friend whos a small artist who earns $5000 a quarter and he hasnt even put out an album yet. Amd all the major labels got way better royality deals than indoes. Sure it aint the good old days but its still good.

It's better than the "good old days".

In the good old days your friend wouldn't have had such easy access to a global distribution method to get his music out there. He'd be praying for spins on local radio and selling CDs out the trunk of his car.

Niks

I will probably chuckle a bit, the moment jayz drops his new album "exclusively on tidal" just for it to be on torrent sites 5 mins later.

Hes gotta know that's whats gonna happen right?

Chichikov

It's better than the "good old days".

In the good old days your friend wouldn't have had such easy access to a global distribution method to get his music out there. He'd be praying for spins on local radio and selling CDs out the trunk of his car.
The industry is not perfect by any means, but labels used to fuck artists to a much higher degree in the "good old days".

Time to post the classic The Problem with Music (circa 1993) again

All that hard work paid off. With the help of a video, the album went like hotcakes! They sold a quarter million copies!
Here is the math that will explain just how fucked they are:
These figures are representative of amounts that appear in record contracts daily. There’s no need to skew the figures to make the scenario look bad, since real-life examples more than abound. Income is underlined, expenses are not.

[snip]

THE BALANCE SHEET
This is how much each player got paid at the end of the game.
Record company: $710,000
Producer: $90,000
Manager: $51,000
Studio: $52,500
Previous label: $50,000
Agent: $7,500
Lawyer: $12,000
Band member net income each: $4,031.25
The band is now 1/4 of the way through its contract, has made the music industry more than 3 million dollars richer, but is in the hole $14,000 on royalties. The band members have each earned about 1/3 as much as they would working at a 7-11, but they got to ride in a tour bus for a month.
The next album will be about the same, except that the record company will insist they spend more time and money on it. Since the previous one never “recouped,” the band will have no leverage, and will oblige.
The next tour will be about the same, except the merchandising advance will have already been paid, and the band, strangely enough, won’t have earned any royalties from their t-shirts yet. Maybe the t-shirt guys have figured out how to count money like record company guys.
Some of your friends are probably already this fucked.

Whenever labels complain about how they're really concerned that the internet hurts the artists I just roll my eyes.

The current model is just better.
Not perfect, but much better.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Again, the point is the remove the aggressor. Aggressors require fees, and don't have the tools that other embedded services do. They get your music out there but the analytics behind it is seriously lacking, and that is not control or beneficial. Yes, it's a wholesale service, but lacks quality and depth. All the rest of the stuff you mentioned are basic features that even Windows Media has.

I don't know where you get this idea that uploading your stuff that you can control on individual areas aren't a selling point. If TuneCore or whomever gets hacked and your data across multiple sites are compromised, at least having everything seperate can be very beneficial. Having a backup everywhere is beneficial period.

And you are still missing the point that unless you are a big named artist that has a label behind you, as an indie artist, you are benefiting more than the typical artist, in which that 75% figure will still go to the individual. You keep trying to argue that Tidal is taking everything away from everyone big and small when it's a flat rate on everyone without favoritism. Its not like the label gets 75% and the indie just 50%. It's flat.

Yes, of course for exposure purposes it does help, but so does paying the bills. Let's stop making this seem like this can only be acceptable in music but everywhere else it can't work. If indie devs in gaming need an honest wage for their creation, then so does artist. Free isn't the answer regardless of exposure. I have some artist on Spotify that have less than 50,000 streams and regardless of free, they are not benefitting the same as bigger artist who have more than 1Mil+ streams and for whom most "free" users are listening to.

I'm not eating the spin but reading the facts. Only you and a few have convinced yourself that any service that has a monetary value behind it is out to kill another competitor when that is not what it means at all. Competition helps the artist more than they are suppose to just help the consumer. Sucking up Spotify, once again, as the end all be all is going to be a problem, because essentially no one is allowing artist to have another way out. Free shouldn't be free if it wasn't free for the person who made their music. I think adding a bunch of already established artist is the only thing they did wrong...but as far as offering a bigger cut for all artist even if signed by a label is I think the big part of this service.

Wanting this to fail is expecting Spotify to dramatically up how much they are paying artist, big and small and giving them no incentive to do so. I don't care for how many time Spotify has said "We've dished out 700 million to Spotify artist worldwide" when knowing that the library of music on that sites worth far exceeds that number. I'm saying that competition is perfectly fine and at the end of the day, Mumford and Son, nor Marina or whomever can dictate how much other outside of their already growing fanbase what good for anyone including us. I think it should have time, just like other service to offer what others do not and that's what I'm waiting for. This non free argument was not made for any other service but Tidal which is so ridiculous. So i'll wait and see.

I give up.

If you can't see how it's just window dressing then there's not much anyone can say. It's pure marketing, just marketing that fell flat on its face and is now scrambling to justify all that talk. Overstating the problems that are there and ignoring the ones that will remain.

The majors have openly stated their desire to kill free streaming, just like they put pressure on Apple once iTunes took off to end fixed pricing because they saw that as an opportunity to make more. Ironically the labels that then raised prices saw total revenue fall. The model that the consumer embraced in the first place was actually the right one.

You will always have a proportion of people not paying for anything, that's always been the case with music, the trick is to get as many to pay for it as possible. Something Spotify has actually managed really well, and has far offset the money lost from a shrinking download market. Each person subscribing to Spotify is spending double what the average person spent on music at its peak, and this will continue to grow.

All streaming has done is highlight how unfair the industry already was, prompting the industry to try and shift that blame back to the consumer as an excuse to take more money.

And when communicated by a bunch of artists made by those practices it backfired spectacularly.

Thank You, is more about supporting the artists you more. So they can get a bit more per son than with the opposing stream options, except people don't like it because they are already very popular. I guess, I'm not too sure ^_^U

As has previously been covered in the thread, there's a disconnect between how Tidal marketed itself as in the now-infamous "draft day" promotional videos and the reality of how it's structured.

If Tidal was primarily for artists in the music industry as a whole rather than increasing profits for established musicians (see the Taylor Swift Spotify controversy), they would have had mechanisms in place for the promotion and discovery of smaller and independent musicians in the first place.

Instead, their efforts to promote smaller artists came as a result of backlash to their original strategy.

If the artists assembled in the promotional videos had come forward for more of a sincere effort to "focus on the music" and promote rising talent, we'd have met these efforts with less cynicism and backlash for its failings.

knicks

The marketing scheme for Tidal from Jay-Z kind of feels parallel to that of Lebron James announcing he was going to the Miami Heat.

They both literally didn't realize how poorly their announcements would convey to the public eye. They were given extremely poor advice, and didn't see the downside to it, which is absurd because these two situations seem crystal clear as to why someone would say that is the absolute worst way of handling it. It isn't necessarily that they have bad intentions, it's that they are seriously delusional to the fact of what they did wrong. There is obviosuly nothing wrong with wanting to play for another team or create a new business venture, but to do it in the fashion that these people did it is what is so troubling.

After seeing this tweets from Jay-Z it's evident that he still literally doesn't understand at all.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The marketing scheme for Tidal from Jay-Z kind of feels parallel to that of Lebron James announcing he was going to the Miami Heat.

They both literally didn't realize how poorly their announcements would convey to the public eye. They were given extremely poor advice, and didn't see the downside to it, which is absurd because these two situations seem crystal clear as to why someone would say that is the absolute worst way of handling it. It isn't necessarily that they have bad intentions, it's that they are seriously delusional to the fact of what they did wrong. There is obviosuly nothing wrong with wanting to play for another team or create a new business venture, but to do it in the fashion that these people did it is what is so troubling.

After seeing this tweets from Jay-Z it's evident that he still literally doesn't understand at all.

It's going to be interesting watching Apple's launch.

I think somehow they will be selling the value of the service, not telling off the consumers.

It's going to be interesting watching Apple's launch.

I think somehow they will be selling the value of the service, not telling off the consumers.

Well it'll most likely be at WWDC as a feature of the 8.4 update with a presentation from Iovine probably like many of their past features have been. I doubt there'll any broad statements about changing the tides of earth and its oceans.

I do not understand GAF's beef with this service. Weird.
Nerds dont like piousness from business companies. Saw the same backlash with Sony in 06 and Microsoft in 2012. I havnt seen a minute of the press conference (just saw a clip of Madonna behaving like a prostitute) so I had no feeling either way.
The service is fine, they just need to get on top of the app crashing and expand the library. I kind of like that its a bit snooty and highbrow, it's reflected in the "avante garde" playlists they put together.

Insertia

Its already being mentioned alongside of Youtube and Spotify. Heck I even thought about registering for it. If I see more effort put into it I'll check it out.

It really should have been marketed as the niche service it is, not like it was some godsend for the unwashed masses. Now it will take years to wash away the stench of their PR misfire, if their service even exists that long. But for what it's worth, I hope it does. Im especially intrigued about "live sports" and what exactly that implies.

Prez

The industry is not perfect by any means, but labels used to fuck artists to a much higher degree in the "good old days".

Time to post the classic The Problem with Music (circa 1993) again

Whenever labels complain about how they're really concerned that the internet hurts the artists I just roll my eyes.

The current model is just better.
Not perfect, but much better.

What artists really should be doing is go on strike like in 1942-1944. I guess they don't because they're afraid they'll be replaced by younger talent?

nib95

Banned
75% is pretty good for the royalty rate, but just been informed Spotify offers 70%, so it really isn't that much more.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
How are so many of the posts in this thread concentrating on the number of subscribers and other such nonsense? I have been a staunch critic of Tidal from the beginning, but if they really do pay 75% royalty rates to all artists, writers and producers, the service needs to be commended and promoted, not lambasted and mocked.

Definitely need to know more about the royalty system.

Spotify is 70%.

That's the thing about tweets, you don't have to go into detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom