• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jazz-Hop & Instrumental Hip-Hop |OT| - R.I.P. Nujabes

Jaroof

Ohhh. That explains it!
And nice.. I want those! Must've been pretty expensive.

On another note, I just checked this album out by Esbe..
There's a whopping 40 tracks on this album!

Pretty tight. Some good down-tempo beats in there.
I noticed his name because of the Nujabes tribute that was done by him and Jenova 7.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoTO6i8rkY
Wow.. just found out Esbe and Jenova 7 are on the same label. Even more of a reason to check out his stuff.

CRS

I don't think they were that expensive, bought them YEARS ago, so I forget. I'm pretty sure they're bootleg copies. Pretty good looking ones, but not the original.

neoism

Ohhh. That explains it!

I noticed his name because of the Nujabes tribute that was done by him and Jenova 7.
Wow.. just found out Esbe and Jenova 7 are on the same label. Even more of a reason to check out his stuff.
thanks man ..
<3

IrishNinja

Bonobo is in Sleeping Dogs.

may be old (says it was posted in March), but someone on my FB just linked me to this

Atu - Curb Your Instrumentals

Infidelity is especially dope

A Good One - "After the Rain", artist from Russia inspired by Ghibli.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiqCQarvZUM

not many threads deliver back to back truth & quality like this one (honestly surprised bonobo got a feature, that's cool)

links are golden, although id argue breakup as the better track for me, SC

A Good One - "After the Rain", artist from Russia inspired by Ghibli.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiqCQarvZUM
Really dug this, thanks for the link.

Oh man, which song? I've yet to install my copy of the game yet.

may be old (says it was posted in March), but someone on my FB just linked me to this

This is great, reminds me (obviously) of A Mixtape About Nothing by Wale, which I love.

surly

Banned
This is largely instrumental. It's also fucking wicked.

'Electric Mud' and 'The Howlin' Wolf Album' are pretty much perfect to me. I could happily sit and listen to both on rotation for longer than would be considered regular or healthy. I have done just that on many occasions, in fact.

So with this in mind, my instinct to dissect and forensically examine the music I truly love was too hard to resist and ultimately, this led to what you have here. These are two albums that to me, if I may put them in a modern perspective, bang relentlessly and thoroughly in every way and I love them so hard. It felt like it would be too easy to just snatch straight up loops from them (although that would sound wonderful of course), and I had the thought of making some re-edits in some way or another, but I decided on reconstructing them both and blending them together in that way.

This is produced from well over 750 chops of both albums combined.

If you haven't yet heard 'Electric Mud' by Muddy Waters, or 'The Howlin' Wolf Album', I cannot recommend them highly enough. Try and find them on vinyl if you can- trust me. If not, get yourself the CDs. If you are already familiar with both albums, I hope you enjoy what I've created from them.

Every chop made with care and respect.

Every step programmed with love.

Please spread this around if you enjoy (with a link to this page), I would really appreciate that.

You're the best. Thank you.

-Buddy Peace
Download here: -

http://buddypeace.bandcamp.com/album/buddy-muddy-wolf

Ohhh. That explains it!

Right up my alley, love Jenova 7, and so far these albums from Esbe are amazing, thanks.

I'm trying to get into this but just can't get over how similar everything sounds, get a classic melody and throw a drum beat on it

IrishNinja

get outta here with that - check the OP, there's stuff from all over. give it a chance or keep it movin.

dont know how i slept on a Jenova track, but this was fantastic as usual, thanks man.
your contributions here are always good, by the way - much love.

surly - gonna check out your link tonight as well

Jaroof

I'm trying to get into this but just can't get over how similar everything sounds, get a classic melody and throw a drum beat on it

Really?
Come on, man.. there's so much music by so many different artists in here, it isn't even funny.. Listen around a bit before you throw that out there.
If you still think it all sounds the same after listening to what this thread has to offer, it's just not for you.

This was amazing.
Thank you for this.
My favorite was Cool De La, hands down.

Great, isn't it?
The soundtrack in Sleeping Dogs is pretty great.
I also heard Battles in it.

dont know how i slept on a Jenova track, but this was fantastic as usual, thanks man.
your contributions here are always good, by the way - much love.

And thank you again for this amazing thread. Without it, I wouldn't have even stumbled into this genre for a while. :)

I check this thread on the daily, hoping to find new stuff. Love it!

Edit:
WTF Lorn's in Sleeping Dogs, too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl9chaWoeOI
This song is in the game.

Tokubetsu

Really?
Come on, man.. there's so much music by so many different artists in here, it isn't even funny.. Listen around a bit before you throw that out there.
If you still think it all sounds the same after listening to what this thread has to offer, it's just not for you.

This was amazing.
Thank you for this.

Great, isn't it?

And thank you again for this amazing thread. Without it, I wouldn't have even stumbled into this genre for a while. :)

I check this thread on the daily, hoping to find new stuff. Love it!

Edit:
WTF Lorn's in Sleeping Dogs, too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl9chaWoeOI
This song is in the game.

Yeah, Lorn's in there as well. Any game with an entire radio station dedicated to Ninja Tune label is gonna be great though.

I had to check out this Bei Bei chick after listening to SOFTLY station:
http://youtu.be/2gKnbtGy_UA

Jaroof

I just stumbled into this compilation album, which includes artists like Marcus D, Blazo, LJones, DJ Ezasscul, and more.
It's 38 tracks for $5.

IrishNinja

with a lineup like that, no way i'm not gonna try it out...good find, i wish my bandcamp surfing led me to stuff like that, haha

gillty

Banned
That album is actually free, although I remember purchasing for charity it when it first came out.

BobFourty Twojh said:
Martin, Kenneth , Michael and Samson I will re-up Hope for tomorrow to Mediafire in 10days time. For now this is the only working link i have found for it, i just downloaded it and checked it myself www.otonomai.net/forum/files/getdownload/56758-va-hope-for-tomorrow-20110311/ to download click that link, wait 6 seconds then click refresh.
August 5 at 7:24am

Bob42jh of CultClassicRecords is a must subscribe on youtube for new releases.

Although the album is now Free we highly appreciate if you could donate as much as you possibly can to Global Giving and their Japanese efforts: www.globalgiving.org

&#8220;Hope For Tomorrow&#8221; is our humble idea to make a difference. We are reaching out to YOU to support our efforts in providing help for those struggling in the aftermath. Our friends at Kevin Nottingham have come on board to assist in the release of a charity album. We are grateful to be in a position to use the talents of some of the undergrounds most respected hip-hop artists. It is our hope that this project will continue to garner attention for the people of Japan and raise some much needed funds.
credits

released 22 March 2011
Compiled By Bob42jh www.youtube.com/bob42jh

A list of Bob's Compilation Albums which are all free, http://www.facebook.com/notes/bobfourty-twojh/bob42jh-compilation-discography/169434756451604

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Great, isn't it?
I love it, more people discovering this awesome shit, it'll all be mainstream soon and we'll be hipsters about it

Cystm

This thread is fantastic. Only seeing it now via Irish's tag. Thread just opened up a rabbit hole that I am so looking forward to diving into.

Subbed and loved.

Dereck

I think Irish accidentally added the suffix to the beginning of your name, Jaroof-san.

Also, I think Jazz-Hop would get a kick out of this. Been packing up my stuff (moving fucking sucks), and I came across my Samurai Champloo OSTs.
That's out of this world. Fat Jon is incredible.

Booya

Neo Member
Alright GAF, lemme introduce you to some additional jazz-hop stuff you might not know.
There is this incredibly talented polish rapper by the name of O.S.T.R. who since his career started over 10 LP's ago he was producing his own stuff and was ever since a big jazz fan. I'll start off with an instrumental that is a bit older. O.S.T.R. - Jazz Nocnym Rytmem
This guy puts instrumentals of all his tracks on a bonus CD for each Album, which is a pretty neat bonus.
Call me crazy but i think this guy is the polish FlyLo when it comes to talent. this whole track is panned out so great: O.S.T.R. - Flow Virus
Now for people who aren't bothered by spoken words in languages they don't understand the next tracks might be of interest
O.S.T.R. - Jazz w Wolnych Chwilach
Alright I'll wrap up with a classic rap track where anyone will know the sample, nonetheless great. Fisz - Polepiony
Oh well, let's have one more: Tworzywo Sztuczne - Instrumental 3

-GJ-

I'm so glad I found this thread. Bob42jh is one of my favorite channels on YouTube. Instantly subscribed to this thread. I've been listening a lot to the Marcus D album lately. One of my favorite albums of the year.

JoeFu

Banned
I'm so glad I found this thread. Bob42jh is one of my favorite channels on YouTube. Instantly subscribed to this thread. I've been listening a lot to the Marcus D album lately. One of my favorite albums of the year.

Yay someone else who acknowledges Marcus D! I can't wait for Retro'd to come out!

I ordered his Melancholy Prequel CD, but I don't think he's going to send it anytime soon. I think the dude is in Japan. Melancholy Hopeful is one of my favorite albums though.

Jaroof

Yay someone else who acknowledges Marcus D! I can't wait for Retro'd to come out!

I ordered his Melancholy Prequel CD, but I don't think he's going to send it anytime soon. I think the dude is in Japan. Melancholy Hopeful is one of my favorite albums though.

Not gonna lie.. after you recommended his stuff, I checked out Melancholy Hopeful, and damn, what an album. I'm officially a fan.
I also saw that you loved his Bop Alloy stuff.. any album in particular you'd recommend?

Regarding the Melancholy Prequel CD:
I also ordered it about two weeks ago.. and it took like a week to get here. So he'll definitely send it out. For some reason, I got two CDs, though o_O
They both have the same packaging, with the same artwork.
I don't think there's anything different on them..

Haven't visited this thread in ages since you guys ignored my last post;_; but I gotta rep a producer friend again :)

NAK - Sunrise (prod. Wy-i)

and the Instrumental

I'll chekkiddout!!

JoeFu

Banned
Not gonna lie.. after you recommended his stuff, I checked out Melancholy Hopeful, and damn, what an album. I'm officially a fan.
I also saw that you loved his Bop Alloy stuff.. any album in particular you'd recommend?

Regarding the Melancholy Prequel CD:
I also ordered it about two weeks ago.. and it took like a week to get here. So he'll definitely send it out. For some reason, I got two CDs, though o_O
They both have the same packaging, with the same artwork.
I don't think there's anything different on them..

I'll chekkiddout!!

I think Bop Alloy only has one album out and Marcus D doesn't seem to have that many albums. I think there's one called shoshin but I have only heard a few tracks from that.

There's this thing too, but haven't listened to it yet...

http://marcusd.bandcamp.com/album/revival-of-the-fittest-us

IrishNinja

catchup post! no updates on Eternal Soul yet either, sadly...last update was mid-July, but at least the shot was in Shibuya so hopefully that means filming is coming along.

I just stumbled into this compilation album, which includes artists like Marcus D, Blazo, LJones, DJ Ezasscul, and more.
It's 38 tracks for $5.

now i remember this one - it's great, and samples Shenmue a few tracks in too. so good.

nice, im gonna have to look this stuff up - they have a bandcamp page?

Haven't visited this thread in ages since you guys ignored my last post;_; but I gotta rep a producer friend again :)

NAK - Sunrise (prod. Wy-i)

and the Instrumental

my man Rebel brings quality....wow this is nice. im glad the page mentioned Howl's Castle, idve been stuck trying to place that one otherwise.
verses arent bad (remind me of one of the hydeout MCs, i forget the name) but ill prolly rock the instrumental more.

I think Bop Alloy only has one album out and Marcus D doesn't seem to have that many albums. I think there's one called shoshin but I have only heard a few tracks from that.

There's this thing too, but haven't listened to it yet...

http://marcusd.bandcamp.com/album/revival-of-the-fittest-us

more Marcus D is always a good thing...a track or two in and i think im gonna save this one for a rainy day.

Dopest album I've heard in a long time.

Bennetrhodes - Sun Ya

itunes link

youtube link to one song

this one has those sorta 90s-ish new jack swing riffs to it, really cool. gonna have to give the rest of the album a spin now, that kinda sound takes me back. good find man.
*edit here's a preview on soundcloud!

CRS

995156675-1.jpg

Tall Black Guy - Brazilian Chronicles

Back in 2007, after listening to this Brazilian compilation,
I was inspired to create this album. Incorporating chopped, remixed and flipped samples of various Brazilian artists.

Jaroof

Bought.

Also, I'm going to see Emancipator on the 28th!! :D :D
I can't wait.

Edit: Still checkin' this thread on the daily.
Even though there hasn't been any updates lately, I still find gold that I had skipped over in the past.
I.
Love.
This.
Thread.

Another little update on something I've found:
For those of you that remember Kinack, I found out that there were some unreleased tracks on his soundcloud that you can download for the low, low price of for free!
http://soundcloud.com/kinack/
His stuff is so atmospheric. Love it.

IrishNinja

Kenichiro Nishihara of Life and Humming Jazz has a new project out called ESNO - Visionary. More electronica, but definitely jazzy.

i am so here for this, Humming Jazz was one of my favorite non-Hydeout finds, still go back to that constantly.
the YT tracks were great too, i love it. Visionary trips me out because it kinda belongs on a Katamari OST in my head, haha.

Vanguard - song from a upcoming album by Mr. Jose James.

listening right now, please post back when the album drops. as you said, i really like his approach.

IrishNinja

yeah, usually ShinobiFists pops in to let heads know when they've got something new in the pipelines...always solid, too.

Top Bottom