• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jedi Survivor: 147 GB on PS5, 139GB on Series X and 44GB on Series S

yamaci17

lets hope this is not another n64 textures disaster

I actually kinda hope they included the low res textures of the series S on PC version . 8G vram copium .
if they didn't; it is going to be a huge bummer and they should be called out. if lower textures with acceptable IQ is possible but not presented on the PC version as an alternative, it will be the sole reason for me to leave PC gaming behind (no jokes, I'm dead serious). I hope bullshit like that does not happen. if you put in the work to reduce textures gracefully for a lower budget vram on consoles but do not present those textures as an option on PC, it is simply bad an act of actual malice and only justification would be to force people to buy newer nvidia cards, which is, again, as I said, would be actual malice

Last edited:

Aenima

Not big of a deal for a single player game. Install it, play and beat it, then unistall it. It just becomes a problem when multiplayer games that u want to keep instaled for long take that much space or more.

Saying that, this games takes as much space as having 37 copies of Tchia installed. :D

kingyala

Banned
We really need some kind of AI wizardry like DLSS, except for textures. I think MS said they were working on something like that, allowing a game to ship with low res textures, which are then upscaled in real-time by some kind of AI algorithm. Maybe something like that could be used for all kinds of game assets; developers could create simple, low-res, low-poly assets with PS1-level geometry and textures, and an AI/ML algorithm turns them into high-res, high-poly assets in real-time. Something like that might be the only way to get game sizes back under control.
hahahaaaa your simply explaining compression....:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:, textures have always been compressed on video games... its exactly why consoles have dedicated decompression chips, its exactly for that job decompressing textures from slower sizes to large sizes in realtime...xbox can do this 5gb/s and ps5 can do this to 9gb/s and some formats to 22gb/s... this doesnt need some ai magic... basically if this game wasnt compressed it would easily be 300+gb in size

Corndog

Banned
How about that same experience at 1440p tho? A lot of us knew it was BS from that anemic box, and the results have been showing more and more, with a lot in the sub 1080p territory.
You can have the same experience with lower res. The gameplay is primarily the same. I think you are misunderstanding him.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You can have the same experience with lower res. The gameplay is primarily the same. I think you are misunderstanding him.
Obama Reaction GIF

All this talk about "4k textures" being the culprit has me confused. Image compression doesn't scale linearly but I'm sure that doesn't mean that they end up being automatically 4x the size. The definition of a texture is more dependent from the distance you're looking at them rather than the rendering resolution anyway. Moreover, many textures are procedurally generated, especially metallic or shiny surfaces. I would be surprised that the difference isn't due to additional videos/audio tracks. 155GB is frankly ridiculous, despite what the hivemind says.

th4tguy

I swear I read only 1GB was reserved on the S (1.5GB for X) and that the whole 8GB of fast ram was available and 1GB of the slow.
2GB for the OS, even on Series S. Although late last year a few hundred MB were given back to devs to use so it's more like 8.4 GB now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So what am I getting wrong? It’s like playing on pc. Better cpu and gpu give you better graphics and potentially frame rate.
You are dancing around the marketing BS. They marketed it with numbers, then backtracked and deleted said materials/videos of those hard numbers. All I said was, no shit, we knew this when specs were announced and face offs started happening, which people who run with the new narratives, fought for the old and false narratives at the time. It be what it be. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
You are dancing around the marketing BS. They marketed it with numbers, then backtracked and deleted said materials/videos of those hard numbers. All I said was, no shit, we knew this when specs were announced and face offs started happening, which people who run with the new narratives, fought for the old and false narratives at the time. It be what it be. 🤷‍♀️
Again. What did I get wrong?

Three

4K assets aren't features, though. So all games can have the same games, options, modes, and so on. You can have the same experience across the consoles. It's just that when you're rendering at 1080/1440 your not going to use the same textures, no one is caught off-guard by this. It's not feasible to expect that either when the S has 8GB of RAM for games and the X has 13GB of RAM for games.
They don't have the same modes or setting. I'd consider that as not the same experience at 1440p. There would be no reason for that qualifier.
It's not rational to think that both consoles can handle the same texture resolutions, you're out of your mind if you do. Your mindset feels deliberate, like you're arguing just to argue.
No but with SFS the aim was to have textures that can't be visibly worse because it wouldn't require it in RAM. Even with lower RAM this was said to be possible because the mip level will scale automatically to the rendering resolution and what's on screen.

DaGwaphics

The XBSS being 100GB less compared to both XBSX and PS5 isn't making much sense.

What doesn't make sense about it? It isn't that dissimilar to games that offer 4k textures in a separate download, sometimes to the tune of 60 or 70GB of additional data. This is quite a difference, but they might have really gone nuts with the textures on XSX/PS5.

DaGwaphics

How about that same experience at 1440p tho? A lot of us knew it was BS from that anemic box, and the results have been showing more and more, with a lot in the sub 1080p territory.

It's doing 1440p with more frequency than the XSX is doing 8k. When they do these spec videos on consoles the best case scenario is always used. For all the brands.

Loxus

What doesn't make sense about it? It isn't that dissimilar to games that offer 4k textures in a separate download, sometimes to the tune of 60 or 70GB of additional data. This is quite a difference, but they might have really gone nuts with the textures on XSX/PS5.
XBSS is supposed to be a 1440p console and the XBSX a 4k console. If don't think the file size should be that big of a difference unless the XBSS is using sub 1080p textures or XBSX is using a mix of 4k and 8k textures.

I could be wrong, just my assumption.

DaGwaphics

XBSS is supposed to be a 1440p console and the XBSX a 4k console. If don't think the file size should be that big of a difference unless the XBSS is using sub 1080p textures or XBSX is using a mix of 4k and 8k textures.

I could be wrong, just my assumption.

Maybe they are doing 8k in some areas on PS5 or XSX, that's a possibility who knows. Hopefully it looks fantastic with those file sizes.

Buggy Loop

lets hope this is not another n64 textures disaster

if they didn't; it is going to be a huge bummer and they should be called out. if lower textures with acceptable IQ is possible but not presented on the PC version as an alternative, it will be the sole reason for me to leave PC gaming behind (no jokes, I'm dead serious). I hope bullshit like that does not happen. if you put in the work to reduce textures gracefully for a lower budget vram on consoles but do not present those textures as an option on PC, it is simply bad an act of actual malice and only justification would be to force people to buy newer nvidia cards, which is, again, as I said, would be actual malice

Brace yourself

It's an AMD sponsored game

Sad Jim Carrey GIF

Helloooo memory leaks

Rival

Gold Member
Glad I added the 2tb nvme to my ps5 and extra one in my pc. Next Pc build I’ll have to upgrade to 4tb drives I guess.

You know, I have enough space in one of my SSDs, I have a fast internet so download wouldn't take days. But still, when I see a game has an absurd size over 100gb it makes me not want to play it.
I doubt this game needs to be this big.

Corndog

Banned
They don't have the same modes or setting. I'd consider that as not the same experience at 1440p. There would be no reason for that qualifier.

No but with SFS the aim was to have textures that can't be visibly worse because it wouldn't require it in RAM. Even with lower RAM this was said to be possible because the mip level will scale automatically to the rendering resolution and what's on screen.
Would different graphics cards on pc constitute a different experience? And I don’t mean a graphics card that makes the game unplayable.

Top Bottom