• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grub says Xbox Live Gold and paying to play online is going away soon

Rygeist

Banned
Ok mate, no need to be upset. Chill out.

* Instigates in a thread. Tells other people to "chill out" *

Hmmm. I'm starting to think you're the common denominator. Especially given the fact that you immediately resort to playing the victim.

Last edited:

Goalus

MS would be throwing away easy money and it’s not like it would even make a huge dent in the PS5. The 360 did well when PSN was free on ps3.

I imagine most people see the price of paying for online as irrelevant. I’m buying the ps5 for the exclusives.
They are doing their most loyal fans a favor (the ones that are buying Xbox consoles).

People who play via PC or smartphone don't have to pay for multiplayer, so it makes sense to elevate their console users to the same level.

Smartphone and PC players will be just as important for MS as console players in the coming years.

Last edited:

Freeman

Banned
* Instigates in a thread. Tells other people to "chill out" *

Hmmm. I'm starting to think you're the common denominator. Especially given the fact that you immediately resort to playing the victim.
Ok man, feel free to put me on ignore if you can't behave yourself. You losing control over facts, is just not working for me bro.

Last edited:

Neofire

So, just to be clear... Your theory is that Microsoft is completely altering the face of gaming, spending millions and convincing third parties to jump into bed on a scheme that sees people getting their games for next to nothing...

...so that they don't have to improve the quality of their games?

Microsoft would make an amazing Scooby Doo villain if you're right, but I'm not convinced you are.
Who said that they have/will improve game quality because of gamepass? 👀 That door swings both ways.

BeardGawd

Banned
So for the cost of 5 years of PS+ ($60 * 5) you could hypothetically purchase a Series S (or huge chunk of Series X) and just purchase all your multiplayer games on Xbox. Just keep the PS5 for singleplayer exclusives...

This will be glorious if true and I give major props to MS if they do it.

i hope this will force Sony and Nintendo to do the same, especially Nintendo cause. yea..

God I hope not. Hopefully they have enough people in charge with some sense not to force that mess on everyone. Anything thinking MS isn't moving towards a GAAS only platform is sadly misinformed.
When it comes to multiplayer who at this point isn't trying to do GAAS? I'm struggling to think of an answer.

This is the right move for the industry. It's a crime that the multiplayer portion of games was ever locked behind a paywall unless it was to get guaranteed dedicated servers, which it was originally advertised as, and then dropped.

Mmnow

Who said that they have/will improve game quality because of gamepass? 👀 That door swings both ways.

What's that got to do with anything?

The guy thinks Gamepass is a way of not having to make better games.

Forget that a game's quality is subjective anyway, forget that most Microsoft games get decent to great scores...

He thinks Microsoft is trying to change the way games are consumed so that they don't have to make good games.

It's ridiculous. It's evil genius twirling his moustache levels of ridiculous. It's Mr Burns blocking the sun levels of ridiculous.

And you're defending him, bless you.

93xfan

Banned
God I hope not. Hopefully they have enough people in charge with some sense not to force that mess on everyone. Anything thinking MS isn't moving towards a GAAS only platform is sadly misinformed.

then please inform us. What info do you have that they will now remove choice because they have a service they want to push. Is Sony going PSNOW only since they want people to use that?

I was just proven right a few minutes ago by Halo being turned into a F2P game (that explain why it looked so poor).

Low quality and GaaS/F2P go hand in hand.

Time will tell who is right if you can't see it already.

"What do you get when you place a rabid fanboy in a thread discussing pro-consumer decisions by the competition? You get what you fucking deserve" - Joker Craig

eLgFvLx.jpg

Dr Bass

You sound like you don't want it to be true.
Why is that, I wonder.

Huh? I don't care. I've just never heard of the guy in my life. But I've seen ZhugeEX all over the place.

Aside from that, what the heck happened in this thread?

You WANT to pay money?

I would agree with the other poster. I do want to pay money for things I use.

I expect to be paid well for my work, because I'm good at what I do and it took many years to get to where I am.

By the same token, I like paying for the best services I can because I believe people deserve to be paid for their expertise. If something is cheap, or free, it's probably not very high quality. A big example of this is software. I like paying for great software, which is why I use Macs for development. They have great 3rd party software that just has no real equivalent on PCs. The very fact I'm paying for something hopefully means I can count on it to be kept in service and there when I need it.

Side note. It's proven time and time again that people willing to pay more for things end up being WAY better customers than people who expect things for free or cheap.

Last edited:

Freeman

Banned
Freeman Freeman has even publicly stated that he doesn't even like Halo.....

What a bother
Never said I did. You can go trough my entire post history. Why would I complain about MS making bad games if I actually liked them? I don't, so far of all their games I like Alan Wake.

I don't like Halo, I don't like GaaS and I don't like F2P. That said since I have gamepass I would've tried Halo if it was a normal game like what they promoted in 2018 but it turned out to be just another low budget F2P game.

Last edited:

Rygeist

Banned
Never said I did. You can go trough my entire post history. Why would I complain about MS making bad games if I actually liked them?

Because for someone that clearly doesn't like MS and now Halo, you sure spend a lot of time making it known to people that you don't like them. I'm not even going through your post history. I just see your tiring drivel in every Xbox related thread. You add nothing to the conversation. Instigating in threads is clearly your agenda.

Redlancet

Banned
Never said I did. You can go trough my entire post history. Why would I complain about MS making bad games if I actually liked them? I don't, so far of all their games I like Alan Wake.

I don't like Halo, I don't like GaaS and I don't like F2P. That said since I have gamepass I would've tried Halo if it was a normal game like what they promoted in 2018 but it turned out to be just another low budget F2P game.

just put this guy in ignore,its funny how he wants to present himself as not a microsoft fanboy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
This will be a paradigm shift type move if it ends up happening and fits perfectly with Microsoft's narrative about giving the consumer options and playing anywhere you want. Plus, eliminating the pay wall allows for cross-platform play across Microsoft consoles, PC and phone/tablet.

Kenpachii

Pretty obvious this was going to happen, why the fuck would u still play on xbox then when u can play their games on PC with no cost to online solutions.

Last edited:
Sony didn't have a paywall like MS did until the PS4. Initially it was a pretty good deal, $30 for free PAS4, PS3 & Vita games. However now SOny has dropped the PS3 & Vita but charge $60 .

I think there are two possibilities here

1) Sony Allows free multiplayer but Unlike Xbox , PS+ games are not yours so if people drop their subs then any free games they have accumulated go away. There is a good chance that many people will keep subbing anyway

2) I think that Sony could keep the current PS+ price high (or slightly discount it) but also make the console price lower to entice people to buy a less expensive console even if it needs a multiplayer sub. Sony wants you to buy into their ecosystem and the best way to do that is to lock you into a sub of some type.

If this happens that's pretty huge for XBox imo. I'm more of a Sony fanboy, but having free multiplayer (and a more powerful console) could be enough to make me buy an Xbox first over a PS5 next gen. Hopefully if true Sony follows suit.

Does Sony really have to do anything at this point? They can charge more for PS5 PS+ and it would be OK because they are the market leader. Many here are criticizing MS for Game pass and potentially free online so Sony should do the opposite. Charge extra for games and more for online.

• Empathy
Reactions: GHG

John Wick

Too many people jumping the gun. Let's wait till MS themselves announce it. After reading Grubbs full twitter it maybe related to F2Play games becoming actually free to play. MS have long been ripping off their loyal fanbase to play games like Fortnite by putting it behind a paywall.
I purchased 3 years of gold at £34.99/year. I paid £3 to make that 3 years of gamepass. So £108 for 3 years. I can't see MS making much of that. Most people will have taken at least 1 year.
The way I see it MS will get rid of Gold and just roll it into gamepass. £8 a month. That is far more lucrative than what they running currently. I'll bet loads will fall for this claiming how MS are so pro consumer.

Neofire

Too many people jumping the gun. Let's wait till MS themselves announce it. After reading Grubbs full twitter it maybe related to F2Play games becoming actually free to play. MS have long been ripping off their loyal fanbase to play games like Fortnite by putting it behind a paywall.
I purchased 3 years of gold at £34.99/year. I paid £3 to make that 3 years of gamepass. So £108 for 3 years. I can't see MS making much of that. Most people will have taken at least 1 year.
The way I see it MS will get rid of Gold and just roll it into gamepass. £8 a month. That is far more lucrative than what they running currently. I'll bet loads will fall for this claiming how MS are so pro consumer.
Oh no no don't try to reason with some of these people. Let them believe in their theory. Some individuals need to learn a lesson the not so easy way.

All of a sudden MS is benevolent, only for the consumers and can do no wrong.

The company that normalize paying for multiplayer is going to remove it?? ahhahaha keep dreaming.

At most they'll rebrand xbox live gold and merge it with gamepass. Pay $20 per month for gamepass and we'll include live gold for "free"

Shmunter

I wonder if many 360 fans went ps3 at some tipping point because of this barrier not being there. I did, wanted to check out some of those talked about ps3 exclusives.

If ps3 had paid psn, I don’t think I would have bothered, the commitment would have been to deep just to feed my curiosity at the time.

Could be MS attempting something similar.

DaGwaphics

If this happened It would probably be about not penalizing console users. I'm sure they are still the most profitable customers, since everything they buy leads to a cut for MS. Same can't be said for PC and mobile (at least until they are ready to make a full push with xCloud). It also might make GP more palatable for some, $10 vs. $15/mo total, and so on. Until it happens, I'm completely on the fence. :messenger_beaming:

Another “insider” being full of shit.
And another one too

vKYZrte.jpg

09iADt0.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom