• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Kaplan: Blizzard would have to "revisit performance" to get Overwatch on Switch

VariantX

There's no audience for Overwatch on Switch to begin with. How many Switch owners don't already own a platform that Overwatch is on and are interested in online only hero shooters? Not many.

There wasn't an audience for either PS4 or XB1 before someone actually put the software out there. There was a short time where we weren't really sure it was coming to console and was strictly going to be a PC thing only after all. What also sells Overwatch more than anything else, is the characters themselves and how Blizzard pushes them as evidenced by the mountains of fan art and shipping people do with the characters themselves.

brawly

So much for these skins
tumblr_oo1ztlByYb1sn4eavo1_1280.png

need-it.gif

Rodin

The downfall here and with every pc or console port will be the cpu.
And it's not more powerful than a GPD Win there.
Quite the opposite.
The numbers say otherwise even without touching the software side of this argument, which is a pretty big one.

I don't see the CPU being an issue either, it's not like the GPD Win is using an i3 or something. Running Windows takes a lot of resources.

Except when you play online, where the framerate almost never reaches 30 and it can drop into the single-digits in crowded fights. With all settings at absolute lowest they can go.

Even then it is still impressive, but that's no way to play this game. At all.

It's not optimized for the system. It's a less powerful system than the Switch. It's also running Windows 10.

Like I say, this statement is an educated guess from someone who as far as we know hasn't developed anything for the Tegra X1 chipset or the Switch, but it's still a guess. Plus you only need to look at other games on Switch to know that even if *Blizzard's* technology would need a lot of reworking to offer a game with the same gameplay on the system, that it could be done.

This is an opportunity cost thing, just as it was with EA and Frostbite on the Wii U. That engine leaned heavily on the CPU and that was the weak link in the Switch. It would have taken significant work to port Frostbite games to the Wii U, but the Wii U was powerful enough to run those titles as we saw when Criterion took the time to drastically rework their own engine to suit the hardware (moving CPU tasks to compute shaders) and delivered the best looking console version of NFS: Most Wanted. It probably was a dumb idea to do, and I doubt it made any money, but there you go.

Plus 'We'd have to revisit performance' isn't 'the system can't handle this game'.

Everyone posting Overwatch running on a low end laptop are forgetting that it's usually using performance tweaks like disabling shadows and running at 30fps using a sub native render scale.

Overwatch at 30fps sucks.

Performance is not an issue. The Switch uses modern technology and its not like Overwatch is an intensive game. Older computers run it just fine. I think in time we could very well see Overwatch on Switch.

Oh stop it. I really wish people would stop saying this when talking about potential Switch ports just because it has a modern architecture. That only goes so far in making up for hardware deficits. Just accept that the Switch is not powerful enough, nor the architecutrue similar enough to the other consoles/PC to get easy ports of AAA games.

Plus Vulkan and Nvidia optimized tools.

Any evidence that the Switch isn't running the remaster? Because that is more demanding than overwatch (and so is Snake Pass obviously, but let's keep pretending it doesn't exist).

Snake Pass runs through Unreal Engine, which itself is highly optimized for Switch. I assume Overwatch is running on an internal engine, so Blizzard will need to do keep the Switch compatibility of their engine updated as well. Overwatch takes a Software as a Service approach, while Snake Pass is a full release without content updates or DLC planned for a long period of time.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
so what? if they have to go back and "revisit performance" then they will IF the nintendo switch sells well enough. if it sells really well then you bet they will look to put it out on the Switch. people forget that Blizzard is there to make $ at the end of the day. if they see an opportunity to make more $ then they'll be right in there. it's not like going back to "revisit performance" would be a huge task for them. they have the manpower and money to make it happen. it's just a matter of "is it there a chance of a profit or not?"

personally i wouldn't care if the game ran at 720p and had lower visual settings. as long as it was 60fps and the gameplay stayed the same i'd be happy.

Magwik

Banned
so what? if they have to go back and "revisit performance" then they will IF the nintendo switch sells well enough. if it sells really well then you bet they will look to put it out on the Switch. people forget that Blizzard is there to make $ at the end of the day. if they see an opportunity to make more $ then they'll be right in there. it's not like going back to "revisit performance" would be a huge task for them. they have the manpower and money to make it happen. it's just a matter of "is it there a chance of a profit or not?"

personally i wouldn't care if the game ran at 720p and had lower visual settings. as long as it was 60fps and the gameplay stayed the same i'd be happy.
Port Hearthstone
See if people spend mad bank of microtransactions
Port Overwatch for loot box sales

"Selling well" for a Nintendo system does not equal 3rd party support

Majine

Banned
The Switch doesn't even save your credit card info, making lootboxes a more difficult sell.

Give up this silly idea for your own sanitys sake. It's not happening.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
"Selling well" for a Nintendo system does not equal 3rd party support

what you on about? i'm just saying if enough people own a Switch then Blizzard will put games out on it. Say it sold just as much as a PS4/XB1 you think they wouldn't release Overwatch for it? Hell every other studio would be releasing games for it. right now the switch hasn't sold enough for any company to justify it as it might not be profitable.

Port Hearthstone
See if people spend mad bank of microtransactions
Port Overwatch for loot box sales

makes sense. it would be easier for them to get that over to switch. if it takes off then bring Overwatch to Switch too.

Majine

Banned
what you on about? i'm just saying if enough people own a Switch then Blizzard will put games out on it. Say it sold just as much as a PS4/XB1 you think they wouldn't release Overwatch for it? Hell every other studio would be releasing games for it. right now the switch hasn't sold enough for any company to justify it as it might not be profitable.

The Wii sold like hot cakes, it still didn't get most multiplat games.

makes sense. it would be easier for them to get that over to switch. if it takes off then bring Overwatch to Switch too.

So the Wii got GTA and other 3rd party games because it sold more than the others?

Alienous

Yeah, I doubt this will happen. They have the Xbox Scorpio to consider, they've still only managed basic PS4 Pro support - if they can't manage that after 6 months Switch support seems like a pipe dream.

Just make an exclusive Overwatch single player point and click adventure made by TellTale games. Simple.

Do you guys really need the JK?

He's referencing the Wii. But the issues there were that the hardware was not at all conducive to ports, so you basically had to develop a completely separate title (as many developers did in the earlier days) if you wanted your game on that system. A few developers were lucky enough to have good engines from the Gamecube days (like Capcom) but most didn't.

Forgotten Sands. Ghostbusters. I'm sure there are more examples. But that all dried up.

After the Wii U, AAA devs are taking a wait and see approach, and I think that's more than fair. But I also think they're starting to see potential, and if the indie games do well, all this talk from indie devs about how easy it is to port games to the system, well I think it's got a much better shot than I thought when I looked at the (pre indie game direct) software line up.

Seriously, Snake Pass clearly demonstrates the Switch is weaker than the Xbox One, but I don't think it's by such a large margin that we won't see a lot more multiplatform titles make the leap than we did on Wii U.

That's a low bar, absolutely, but I think it'll easily clear it.

Attach rates are super important to publisher's, the Vita kept & still is getting software releases because the attach rate for games per console is so high. I'm sure most Switch owners like myself are starving for more AAA games and between now and Super Mario Odyssey it's a great time for some publisher's to make some bank.

Overwatch would be so perfect on the Switch...

Yeah id imagine, the game was made with modern pc's and consoles and mind and the switch while being a great system isnt nearly as powerful as either

How does overwatch run on lower end rigs, i wonder. I have been rocking a 980ti and i7 4770 since it launched, so i really have no idea how it runs.

Alucrid

Banned
So they actually have a devkits and have tried and know this to be true... or just going off what they think and not having tried the tools and api made for switch yet?

they just hate nintendo and nintendo fans so much that they're purposefully trying to drag the console and not provide their game to switch owners

And there lies the problem.

It runs Snake Pass at 1/3rd the frame rate of the Switch version.

The Switch runs Snake Pass at the same framerate as the Xbox One and the PS4 with a reduction in resolution (small when docked, significant when portable) and with a couple of minor graphical effects dropped (water caustics).

If GDP can run Overwatch at 30 fps at 720p without any attempts to optimize the game for that platform, the Switch can absolutely run it.

How much work that would be and whether it would be work investing in dev kits and man hours to make a Switch version... that's the real thing pushing wait and see here. If their engine is CPU heavy porting to Switch will be more expensive than were it CPU light.

But if a cheap Atom based handheld Win 10 PC can almost cope with the game, then you can bet that *if Blizzard felt it was financially worthwhile* that the game would be on Switch running at a smooth 60 fps.

Soroc

I understand OW is the new hotness from Bilzz, but has anyone asked about other Blizz properties on the Switch. I mean Hearthstone is still making serious bank for Blizz and I would think that would be a good marriage with the Switch as a way for them to dip their toes into the Nintendo ecosystem. Plus Hearthstone would literally have 0 competition for its genre on the Switch.

Duxxy3

Interesting. It wasn't a no.

I wonder if other publishers will start to move from absolutely not to probably not.

Fezan

Looks like snake pass will be brought up every time a developer says that they won't be able to port game to switch due to hardware.

I understand OW is the new hotness from Bilzz, but has anyone asked about other Blizz properties on the Switch. I mean Hearthstone is still making serious bank for Blizz and I would think that would be a good marriage with the Switch as a way for them to dip their toes into the Nintendo ecosystem. Plus Hearthstone would literally have 0 competition for its genre on the Switch.

Honest question - why would I care about hearthstone on switch when I can already play it on any existing mobile device? It's a card game it's not like you're missing out on anything with the mobile versions.

I'd rather have blizzard port their games that I can't play on my phone personally.

Yo Knightmare

Neo Member
It's not optimized for the system. It's a less powerful system than the Switch. It's also running Windows 10.

Like I say, this statement is an educated guess from someone who as far as we know hasn't developed anything for the Tegra X1 chipset or the Switch, but it's still a guess. Plus you only need to look at other games on Switch to know that even if *Blizzard's* technology would need a lot of reworking to offer a game with the same gameplay on the system, that it could be done.

This is an opportunity cost thing, just as it was with EA and Frostbite on the Wii U. That engine leaned heavily on the CPU and that was the weak link in the Switch. It would have taken significant work to port Frostbite games to the Wii U, but the Wii U was powerful enough to run those titles as we saw when Criterion took the time to drastically rework their own engine to suit the hardware (moving CPU tasks to compute shaders) and delivered the best looking console version of NFS: Most Wanted. It probably was a dumb idea to do, and I doubt it made any money, but there you go.

Plus 'We'd have to revisit performance' isn't 'the system can't handle this game'.

Do they even have dev kits?

"It sounds more like we don't wanna. We haven't done much with ARM"

A system with a slower cpu and a faster gpu might be able to run a game better than a system where the opposite is true.
Crazy, i know.

And you can take an engine designed for a system with a fast CPU and a slow GPU and with some work, getting it running on a system with a slow CPU and a fast GPU. How much work, and whether it's worth investing in, that's the question.

Not whether or not the Switch is capable of running anything at least as well as the GDP can, because of course it is.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
How does Snake Pass run on GPD Win again?

Let me help you out.

12 frames per second.

That's the usual console vs pc thing though, games on consoles are optimized for their hardwares while on pc they are more generic so in general even on similar hardwares consoles usually have better performances(without taking into account that many 3d indie games aren't optimized at all on pc), but on the other hand on consoles you have to hope and beg to have a certain third party game ported on them, while on pc usually you just have it.

After many years of hoping/begging and signing petitions for the vita personally i decided to have everything, after all that's what i have always wanted and cared the most, games not power or exclusives, and if a game doesn't run well.... well there are thousands others i can play ;)

Asd202

Attach rates are super important to publisher's, the Vita kept & still is getting software releases because the attach rate for games per console is so high. I'm sure most Switch owners like myself are starving for more AAA games and between now and Super Mario Odyssey it's a great time for some publisher's to make some bank.

Overwatch would be so perfect on the Switch...

There absolutely nothing perfect about it.

Top Bottom