• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Ross - Days Gone has sold over 9 million units on PS4 and PC

kyliethicc

3GVTIPU.png

rtgjTbX.png

Qv9GDwh.png

rcAZCUB.jpg

uMJ3QBt.gif

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
I liked it, but didn't get crazy far in it. Was super impressed early on but then the feeling didn't really last.

I feel like it ended up feeling like it suffered a bit from Open-World-itis.

That's my main problem with some of these Open World games. Cool concepts but then they end up feeling too Ubisoft-y?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
DAYS GONE had a lot of "Meh. . ." stunting any kind of momentum for it (zombies, "bland" protag, delays if I remember correctly). GOT on the other hand came out the gate hot and did not let up until it was released to critical and commercial acclaim. The two just did not have the same trajectory.

I would love to see another DAYS GONE (after I actually finish the first one) but I don't see it happening.

got warned in GoT thread, not saying ANYTHING this time.....

. . .what a fantastic addition to the thread.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Good number for a new IP, but not good enough for Sony to allow Bend to make a sequel I guess.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Death Stranding recently sold 5 million as well. Absolutely insane management by Sony not greenlighting sequels for these two games right away. Had they begun dev on those games right away they wouldve already been in dev for 2+ years with a potential release maybe next year. now, we are looking at 2025 at best from both Kojima and Sony bend.

I remember when they greenlit an Uncharted sequel even though it sold 111k in NA in its first month and topped out at 650k. Now, 5-10 million isnt enough. 100+ goty awards for Death Stranding isnt enough. Absolutely shocking display of incompetency by Sony's upper management. And I am looking right at Herman and Jim here. They both took charge around 2019 and thats when these decisions were made.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Death Stranding recently sold 5 million as well. Absolutely insane management by Sony not greenlighting sequels for these two games right away. Had they begun dev on those games right away they wouldve already been in dev for 2+ years with a potential release maybe next year. now, we are looking at 2025 at best from both Kojima and Sony bend.

I remember when they greenlit an Uncharted sequel even though it sold 111k in NA in its first month and topped out at 650k. Now, 5-10 million isnt enough. 100+ goty awards for Death Stranding isnt enough. Absolutely shocking display of incompetency by Sony's upper management. And I am looking right at Herman and Jim here. They both took charge around 2019 and thats when these decisions were made.
And worse yet - still no Knack 3.

It was heavily discounted though. I think its problem was too many units were made to be sold at full price. It didnt move and they had to sell them at a loss. I saw it selling as low as 12 CAD
It sold a LOT of those units at full price though. He also said it's done around another 1 million on PC where it isn't cheap either. Pretty sure this is a case of Sony caring more about the Metacritic score than the sales. Fucking reviewers complaining about dumb shit in Days Gone like "Oh why are all the zombies white?" Really pissed me off

ckaneo

The games made by Kojima and Bend will be much better than Days Gone 2 and Death Stranding 2. Sony made the right choice. All of their open world big budget for graphics games will sell. That doesnt make the games great

GymWolf

It sold a LOT of those units at full price though. He also said it's done around another 1 million on PC where it isn't cheap either. Pretty sure this is a case of Sony caring more about the Metacritic score than the sales. Fucking reviewers complaining about dumb shit in Days Gone like "Oh why are all the zombies white?" Really pissed me off
Gruff white male who likes to stare at his wife's ass and with an actual testosterone level was too much to handle for some reviewers.

Fuck videogame journalism.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

Like someone said, if they got the green light for a new IP then not everything is doom and gloom between Bend and Sony.
I enjoyed the game a lot, but with the Last of Us franchise being what it is for Playstation, I'd rather have them move to something completely new and original.

Not everything needs to become a franchise.

Can't wait to see what they're cooking.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I liked it, but didn't get crazy far in it. Was super impressed early on but then the feeling didn't really last.

I feel like it ended up feeling like it suffered a bit from Open-World-itis.

That's my main problem with some of these Open World games. Cool concepts but then they end up feeling too Ubisoft-y?
Man this is one game that is somewhat of an exception to that rule though if you play all the way through.

I don't know of another game that really has the feeling of progression you get, from early on being overwhelmed w/ a few zombies.. to later on taking on hordes. And it's not from you being given some super-weapon that one-shots 100 zombies, it's largely just from you getting better and better at the game.

edit: I get what you are saying.. there's a lot of icons on the map and all that.. but they continue to add meaningful things to the game/raise the stakes/raise the challenge.. and to me it's all rewarding as the basic gameplay is fantastic.. both fighting zombies, and humans.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Cool, but it outselling Ghost of Tsushima is a crime.
ghost isnt on pc, while days is on pc.

If ghost gets on pc, expect it to hit 20m total. That game would be a pc hit. especially with mods.

days gone price on pc keys.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That’s sad that local management made it seem like a disappointment, freaking meta critic and soy boy journos
I swear that gamespot reviewer killed the game along with other journalists who couldnt accept the fact that bikers would make ass jokes about their wives. That wives could joke with their husbands and have playful banter. The game had an interracial fucking lesbian couple. The fucking biker protagonist had a bisexual love interest who happened to be called Nikki fucking Patel. Patel! How is that game not woke enough for these people.

It's a shame because the story and characters ARE well written. Deacon's character development is way more subtle and understated than Abby and Ellie's. He's indifferent and callous in the beginning yes, but who wouldnt be in that world. I loved how they dont make a big thing out of the big reveal in the middle of the game and both characters slowly learn to trust each other again. In another game, they wouldve flown into each others arms like a Twilight novel. Even the ride my like your bike line is BRAVE writing because the writer knew the payoff wouldn't come until late in the game, and he decided to leave it in there anyway. And while the youtubers were posting it out of context, I was laughing at the payoff. Thats great writing to me.

Yes, the game had bugs. Yes, it's not as good a first game as horizon or ghost of tshushima but it is by no means a bad game, and the gameplay was straight up fantastic. It's insane that they had to even pitch a Days Gone 2. It shouldve been a simple greenlight. Go make a next gen version of it. Simple. But instead, they forced out the writer because of internal politics and forced them to pitch an Uncharted spinoff which ND kept rejecting. All because some moronic journalists didnt think the game was woke enough.

What a shitshow.

odhiex

I like Days Gone, finished it on PS4. I am replaying it on PS5, which is much better. I thought the story was interesting and could be explore more with a sequel. However, I am not asking for it to be released soon. If they have decided to ends it, that's also fine by me.

I am more excited of what Bend would do next, hopefully a new IP. Bend has been long a portable dev studio, their comeback with Days Gone was good, but it was rocky at launch. Hope they could learn from it.

I am not expecting more of Days Gone. It is good for what it is.

kingfey

Banned
I swear that gamespot reviewer killed the game along with other journalists who couldnt accept the fact that bikers would make ass jokes about their wives. That wives could joke with their husbands and have playful banter. The game had an interracial fucking lesbian couple. The fucking biker protagonist had a bisexual love interest who happened to be called Nikki fucking Patel. Patel! How is that game not woke enough for these people.

It's a shame because the story and characters ARE well written. Deacon's character development is way more subtle and understated than Abby and Ellie's. He's indifferent and callous in the beginning yes, but who wouldnt be in that world. I loved how they dont make a big thing out of the big reveal in the middle of the game and both characters slowly learn to trust each other again. In another game, they wouldve flown into each others arms like a Twilight novel. Even the ride my like your bike line is BRAVE writing because the writer knew the payoff wouldn't come until late in the game, and he decided to leave it in there anyway. And while the youtubers were posting it out of context, I was laughing at the payoff. Thats great writing to me.

Yes, the game had bugs. Yes, it's not as good a first game as horizon or ghost of tshushima but it is by no means a bad game, and the gameplay was straight up fantastic. It's insane that they had to even pitch a Days Gone 2. It shouldve been a simple greenlight. Go make a next gen version of it. Simple. But instead, they forced out the writer because of internal politics and forced them to pitch an Uncharted spinoff which ND kept rejecting. All because some moronic journalists didnt think the game was woke enough.

What a shitshow.
No one is woke. Its just a façade these journalist keep, in order to run their business.

The problem with these journalist, is they are busy with gaming, that they lack real life experience.

Watch sons of anarchy, and tell me the game doesnt have some similarity with that show.

Well, the game seems to have taken inspiration from the show.
"Days Gone is a 2019 action-adventure video game developed by Bend Studio and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment. ... Major sources of inspiration for Days Gone were World War Z, The Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy."

no wonder these game journalist are clueless about the game.

Last edited:
It wasn’t just the critics shitting on the game either.
You'll always find someone unhappy with every game but many, many people who actually PLAYED it through to the end really enjoyed it. It has very positive user reviews on Steam. Reviewers likely played a part of it and called it a day. Right after they got fed up with all the zombies being white and Deacon looking at his wife's ass.

Last edited:

Elios83

Critical reception was the major disappointment that killed the chances of a sequel, not the sales.
But tbh I prefer they're doing a new IP, many other Sony studios are doing sequels, new ideas are always needed and obviously Sony certainly isn't going to stop doing Spiderman or God of War. Days Gone was the obvious weak link.
Revisionist history where days gone is now a great game that no one made fun off with memes, joked about its horrible metacritic scores, considered it an unplayable buggy mess on launch and joked about how horribly written it was.
Yeah at launch reception was brutal although of course you have to factor that not everything is genuine. Tons of people just want certain things to fail.

CitizenZ

Banned
i really liked DG...until i drove to the South, holy shit. Now, just thinking about it can someone piece together pics from all of Sonys 1st Party games crawling through bushes. DG, LoU, Horizon, Uncharted, etc. just for laughs of course.

Critical reception was the major disappointment that killed the chances of a sequel, not the sales.
But tbh I prefer they're doing a new IP, many other Sony studios are doing sequels, new ideas are always needed and obviously Sony certainly isn't going to stop doing Spiderman or God of War. Days Gone was the obvious weak link.

Yeah at launch reception was brutal although of course you have to factor that not everything is genuine. Tons of people just want certain things to fail.
Just like how i expect the concern over it not getting a sequel isn’t genuine.

oldergamer

Im pretty sure it didnt sell a lot at full price dude.

Top Bottom