• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Sneider: HBO 'The Last of Us' Season 2 Eyes Kaitlyn Dever for Abby

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Good choice (if true), I trust the casting team. Almost half of NeoGAF had disrespectful opinions when Bella was cast only to be proven wrong.
Hunnn nope ? For me I was proved right.. dog shit casting .... specially for her ... loved the game, couldn't watch the show, and her casting was a big reason for it. Coudnt care less for people who liked, tought she will never look the part and I was very much right.

alstrike

My vote Florance Pugh
6n3cyRP.gif
Nat Geo Survival GIF by National Geographic Channel
That’s the only choice for the role of adult Abby

Aces High

That literally makes no sense. lol
It's the foundation of human interaction.

You would trust an authentic person much more than someone who's written fake all over them.

TLOU1 characters are much more authentic. That's why your subconsciousness doesn't question unrealistic aspects like zombies.

TLOU2 characters are badly written. That's why your subconsciousness notices all the little unrealistic details. Characters like Abby are the reason why TLOU2 story collapses like a house of cards.

VulcanRaven

Horrible casting for season 1, specially ellie.
.. coudnt watch more than 2 episodes, sorry but casting right matter and similarity to the original source is a big part of it .. so fuck it .. cast Stallone as Abby for all I care, never intended to see season 2 anyway and "relive" that horrible pos story again.
I recommend watching more. I wasn't sure about Ellie's actor at first but she gets better after the first 2 episodes. She was great as Ellie.

My vote Florance Pugh
6n3cyRP.gif
Nat Geo Survival GIF by National Geographic Channel
There were rumors about her. I wouldn't be suprised if she was their first choice but she couldn't take the role. She is filming a new MCU movie soon.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's the foundation of human interaction.

You would trust an authentic person much more than someone who's written fake all over them.

TLOU1 characters are much more authentic. That's why your subconsciousness doesn't question unrealistic aspects like zombies.

TLOU2 characters are badly written. That's why your subconsciousness notices all the little unrealistic details. Characters like Abby are the reason why TLOU2 story collapses like a house of cards.

Not true.

Do you know what's more debated than Abby's muscles in the Last of Us universe? The Fireflies making a cure.

One of the main arguments people make is that the Fireflies could not make a cure because 1) The Hospital is run down without the proper equipment and 2) there's no way to distribute the cure/vaccine. This is by far one of the most unrealistic things in this story outside of the infected, but the writers made it clear that it was going to work.

How many times have you heard, "There's no cure for a fungal infection?" Likely way more than people complaining about Abby's muscles. If they wanted you to have doubt, then they would have made that clear in the game, but there's nothing.

So people didn't "subconsciously" ignore what the Fireflies tried to do. They tried to apply real-world science in a fictional story when people were supposed to ignore it.

Rockondevil

I haven't seen her in anything but she could be a great choice. Of course she needs gym training but she doesn't have to be as muscular as Abby is in the game. Maybe something like Sarah Connor in T2 would be enough:
I can tell you what’s not going to happen if she gets cast.

Mr.Phoenix

Everything unrealistic in TLOU1 appears realistic because the characters are realistic.

In TLOU2 the characters are badly written with Abby being the worst. It doesn't work.
there is a difference between a badly written character and a character that you don't like. granted one character can be both.

I think this is the confusion with TLOU2, the characters aren't badly written, there are just some unlikeable or thought-provoking elements to them. What's funny, is that that doesn't make them unrealistic, it's actually the opposite.

hinch7

Wonder how many people will dip out and viewer count drops off once it happens. And when it does, considering the seasons is split into two.

GymWolf

I think many people overestimate how much the people who only watched the serial care about joel compared to people who played the videogames when it comes to the golf club scene and how mad they are gonna be.

Serial joel is also inferior and less charismatic than videogames joel so...

I think many people overestimate how much the people who only watched the serial care about joel compared to people who played the videogames when it comes to the golf club scene and how mad they are gonna be.

I don't know why this is still such a big deal in games.

In television, we're now post Game of Thrones, a show where so many great characters died, I think people who love good shows care far less.

Gamers are in general much more immature. As long the season is good, people will stay.

Plus, the reaction with Joel dying was always overblown. It was a character that died after a single game. It's not like Nathan Drake had died after a huge and successful IP or something. And Joel wasn't even the only character you controlled on that first entry. Ellie is also a playable character in both the main game and the ONLY playable character on that DLC they released.

Thirty7ven

Banned
She’s bit sized.

Hollywood continues to be afraid of strong women, can’t have any of these skinny midgets packing a bit of muscle then no insecure men will jack off to them.

hinch7

I don't know why this is still such a big deal in games.

In television, we're now post Game of Thrones, a show where so many great characters died, I think people who love good shows care far less.
TLOU story started with Joel and ended with Joel and Ellie. The second game went the other direction and it was all about Ellie and other characters. Now imagine if people wait all that time for a sequel only for the MC to bitch out, in the shittest way. Felt like a bit of a big f you for those invested in the first game. People have grown a liking to the characters in the series. Its not like GoT where's there's a huge cast and huge scale. The story for the TLOU is way smaller scale and only a few important chacters throughout the whole story.

If we count other series for the Walking Dead.. a lot of viewers stopped watching the series after Glen died. Which I think is straw that broke the camels back among killing off (or sending off) a lot of the other MC's.

Last edited:

Aces High

Not true.
I think my point is clear. If you have a different opinion on the topic, that's totally fine.

In my eyes, the bad TLOU2 writing did irreparabel damage to the IP. A third TLOU will sell much worse than the first two games.

TLOU1 was on a totally different level and above everything else. There was no need for a second part. Part 1 already had the perfect ending.

EDMIX

Okay let's say Abby has access to high quality sources of food so she can stick to her perfectly balanced fitness diet for years.

WLF had a whole ass farm and gym.....

Sooooooooo yea.

Its a video game. The rest of your post is a bit silly and its as if you don't fucking understand you are not talking about a documentary that claiming something, you are talking about a fictional fucking game written for entertainment...

What occurs in Part 2, makes as little sense as Part 1 as they are not making some real life simulation of a real event, its a fake video game sir...

Don't see you fucking asking about the expiration date on dem pills Joel takes lol

Its even funnier, cause people like Abby RIGHT NOW fucking exist, that makes more sense in Part 2, then most situations in videos games lol I mean, you are arguing about the probability that someone can get buff........thats it. You mean teh fucking thing that happens right fucking now? Everyday? With tons of people over history that have done it or? But shit, you fucking ignored all the other odd shit that was going on like them eating decades odd expired pills yet living huh?

Joel deadass drove across states in a car (we going to ignore gas, we going to ignore actually working cars)

but shit, girl pick thing up, put it down, eat and got big..."wHaT a MySteRy" lol

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I liked her in that alien horror movie. Shes really cute. Kinda small. You guys need to understand, casting a buffed chick that will fight agaisnt the curent Ellie in the show would not realistically make sense. They'd have to be on the same physical levels unlike in the game. Im guessing they're going to change how Joel dies, hes prolly going to get shot/executed most likely. On the other hand, I feel bad for her if she gets the role. The TLOU haters are going to destroy her online even more so for those who havent played the game. Good luck to her, hope she survives the backlash.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

She would be a Ellie, for Abbie they need Rhea Ripley or something. Or who was that MMA fighter Rhonda Rousey....
Thank God you're not involved in the casting process. They need actual actresses not who can look jacked like Abby from the game.

Aces High

Its even funnier, cause people like Abby RIGHT NOW fucking exist
Women like Abby exist because of anabolic steroids.

A female human being can't get this big without drugs.

They probably made her buff because otherwise it would be even more stupid that a young girl is physically dominating grown men in a survival situation.

Listen, I have no problem with unrealistic characters like Abby in video games. Just look at Street Fighter. It's a cool concept. But not for an IP like TLOU.

Adding Abby to TLOU is like adding ketchup to a fine dining lobster meal.

mrmustard

Banned
They probably made her buff because otherwise it would be even more stupid that a young girl is physically dominating grown men in a survival situation.
You think they did this for realism? In a game about zombies? I don't think so. Would be the first game where they care about how realistic it is that women beat up men en masse. Tomb Raider, Horizon, Spider-Man and many more didn't give a shit.

WitchHunter

Banned

Listen, I have no problem with unrealistic characters like Abby in video games. Just look at Street Fighter. It's a cool concept. But not for an IP like TLOU.

Adding Abby to TLOU is like adding ketchup to a fine dining lobster meal.
Women are more aggressive in doping... they are animals.

You think they did this for realism? In a game about zombies? I don't think so. Would be the first game where they care about how realistic it is that women beat up men en masse. Tomb Raider, Horizon, Spider-Man and many more didn't give a shit.
Well, if you have been ever punched in the face by a boxer girl... you would reconsider.

I liked her in that alien horror movie. Shes really cute. Kinda small. You guys need to understand, casting a buffed chick that will fight agaisnt the curent Ellie in the show would not realistically make sense. They'd have to be on the same physical levels unlike in the game. Im guessing they're going to change how Joel dies, hes prolly going to get shot/executed most likely. On the other hand, I feel bad for her if she gets the role. The TLOU haters are going to destroy her online even more so for those who havent played the game. Good luck to her, hope she survives the backlash.
I'd say the way Joel died in the game, the un- dignified way is what set Ellie on her way to revenge at all cost. And most importantly, you feel the same as her. Its a shock and awe thing. If it was point blank headshot no matter how good the grief acting on screen, the viewers will be like..ehh seen worst.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I recommend watching more. I wasn't sure about Ellie's actor at first but she gets better after the first 2 episodes. She was great as Ellie.
Unfortunately my brain dosent work like that.. and has nothing to do specifically with TLOU show ... Let me try to explain..... so tlou is one of my favorite games of all time, and is a very well tought story in a video game with realistic graphics and animations done masterfully by ND, so all the characters are right there with all their characteristics (physical, emotional and behavioral) for you to look at it ... and I played that game several times (remasters and remakes and etc) ... so to take that flashout characters and radically change their appearances and personalities my brain is immediately taken out of the immersion of the show/movie .. it becomes a bad cosplay fan fiction with very good budget (star wars rings a bell) ... so I simply cant enjoy it ... If it was the same actors, same creation team but a different show and story Im all for it .. seems like a good crew all around... but for me ? Cant buy this fakeshi Tlou world and characters...

Happy for the people that enjoy it though...have some fun.. its just not for me

Last edited:

EDMIX

1. Women body builders existed before the invention of steroids and those females were much larger then Abby.
2. The fucking universe they are in already had drugs that you seem to be ignoring when Joel is eating fucking bottles of em

The game isn't fucking saying all women can be Abby, its saying this person is much more gifted then most in this area, lifts and eats and sure just to fuck with you, uses the drugs she finds in those lockers at the WLF stadium used by all the athletes lol

So...sorry bud, too many things exist that argue such a thing can happen, is probable and literally currently exist in real ife, to be fucking crying over a game doing it.

All you are fucking saying is its hard....

Annnnnnnd so is beating the shit out of hundreds of zombies, did you forget this was fake and a game or? lol

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
1. Women body builders existed before the invention of steroids and those females were much larger then Abby.
Incorrect. Women bodybuilders didn't really become a thing till the early 80's. Steroids were in use long before that.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
licensed-image

Apparently this dude is pretty spot on, the fact that Mazin follows her, and she was super close to being Ellie probably means its true. Dont know much about her, but Im about to watch No One Will Save You as we speak.

Either way, they nailed the casting for Season 1 - Ellie especially was fantastic. I trust their judgement more than the internet know it alls.
unbelievable_101_unit_01125r-2000-9fff637ff3804201841ec3337fa4d870.jpg

Edit: I have seen her in a few things, she's great. Good casting

It's almost like they are joking with us.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
She should've been Ellie. Anyone who saw Kaitlyn in Justified would know why she was perfect.

The problem with Abby as a role is that its going to be important to show her before and after she transforms herself; in the context of a game its naturally way harder to give screen-time to that part of her story, but in a TV show they need to lean into how her quest for vengeance disfigures her.

yurinka

Good choice (if true), I trust the casting team. Almost half of NeoGAF had disrespectful opinions when Bella was cast only to be proven wrong.
Bella doesn't look like Ellie, but she is a very talented actress.

Redarging Abby, I'll wait for official confirmation because I could see Tom Holland or John Cena playing the role (just kidding, I think Kaitlyn Dever could be a good choice if they train her properly).

Top Bottom