• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Sneider: HBO 'The Last of Us' Season 2 Eyes Kaitlyn Dever for Abby

Cyborg

Bella doesn't look like Ellie, but she is a very talented actress.

Redarging Abby, I'll wait for official confirmation because I could see Tom Holland or John Cena playing the role (just kidding, I think Kaitlyn Dever could be a good choice if they train her properly).
Do you want the looks or a great performance?

yurinka

We don't need to choose between them because we can easily get both, there are several talented actresses who could do a great job playing these roles while looking pretty similar to the characters.

If they don't want to choose people who look like their characters is because they prefer something else.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I was gonna say she better start the HGH now, but then after thinking about it, Bella Ramsey is a tiny little thing. A tall/jacked Abby wouldn't translate well on screen when
They brawl.

It just wouldn't be believable. Having an Abby closer in stature to Bella's Ellie would translate better probably.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I was gonna say she better start the HGH now, but then after thinking about it, Bella Ramsey is a tiny little thing. A tall/jacked Abby wouldn't translate well on screen when
They brawl.

It just wouldn't be believable. Having an Abby closer in stature to Bella's Ellie would translate better probably.
Well, so long as there are some feather pillows or a mud bath nearby I think we will be ok.

Neff

Writers don't stick to realistic real-world scenarios/logic. That's the entire point of fictional writing. Abby was designed to be an intimidating presence as an "antagonist" to Ellie.

Good point about writers using logic leaps and getting creative with themes/imagery to tell a story, but Abby's bulk was written in for two reasons. Firstly like you say to provide an intimidating foe for Ellie. Secondly, and perhaps more obviously, it's because she intends to take down Joel and she knows Joel is a god damn Terminator. He is simply very good at killing. She mentions in an early flashback that she's hitting the weights hard and it's explicitly for this reason. Revenge has not only become her life but it's literally become her body as well. It's a good metaphor for the zealous pursuit of vengeance which is of course at TLoU2's core.

Joel would have bled out.
Ellie performing surgery is nearly impossible.

Exactly. You don't just fix a gut wound by administering antibiotics and slapping a bandage over it. Unless you're treated by qualified doctors with proper equipment and medicine, you get sepsis and die. But it didn't matter because the story demanded it and we were ok with it.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Women like Abby exist because of anabolic steroids.

A female human being can't get this big without drugs.

They probably made her buff because otherwise it would be even more stupid that a young girl is physically dominating grown men in a survival situation.

Listen, I have no problem with unrealistic characters like Abby in video games. Just look at Street Fighter. It's a cool concept. But not for an IP like TLOU.

Adding Abby to TLOU is like adding ketchup to a fine dining lobster meal.
^ You are completely out of touch with life. Is this because you don't see them all over TV or walking down the street? I'm a bodybuilder (not professional) I've been lifting weights for over 15 years. There are a couple natural girls in my gym that look like Abby, I know them and they are 100% natural. They have just been consistently going to the gym for 10+ years or more from a younger age. Abby also started from a young age, she had access to proper food and a gym equipment where she lived which they showed in the game. I can 100% tell, you know nothing about fitness or bodybuilding. That in itself is insulting to people who have the knowledge and experience about the subject.

It's people like you on GAF spreading misinformation that you made up that we don't need. It seems impossible to you because you have no idea what it takes, the hard work and dedication to get a body like that. Females like that are rare but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Coming from being in the bodybuilding culture and completing TLOU2, Abby is not even that big. Get a clue.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Abby's dad was literally a military doctor, and she's literally spent her whole life in resistance fighter groups.

She had all the resources she would've needed from motivation to medicine to time.

Also, this is a game where everybody seemingly has unlimited food, medicine and guns, and joel has never ever been bit/scratched by an infected in the 20 years.

Pejo

I mean the perfect casting was just sitting right there, waiting.

iu

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't know what you're talking about because there are MANY unrealistic things in the game.
It was pretty funny in the behind the scenes for the first episode of the show where they spoke about why they dropped the spore stuff because while it was fine for dumb video game players, TV viewers would realize how supremely stupid it was.

Aces High

ZHGAAWP5L5JF3J6GW7MDXOOLCU.jpg

6055-simone-biles-1.jpg

strong-is-sexy-sanya-richards-ross-60386d063d6c4f9889ff19a204004d40.jpg

6-18.jpg

Not a single drug in any of these women
You're just proving my point. They're not even half the size of Abby.

Abby is a caricature.

The girl in the last picture has quads that almost appear smaller and less defined than Abby's arms.

Abby's bone structure is ridiculous. She has elbows like a 6'5 wrestler.

The vascularity in Abby's forearms is like that of a guy on TRT.

A woman cannot put on this amount of muscle mass without the help of anabolic steroids. That's an ice cold biological fact. You guys can call me incel all you want, but that doesn't give any more weight to your posts.

UkmHFU7.jpg

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It was pretty funny in the behind the scenes for the first episode of the show where they spoke about why they dropped the spore stuff because while it was fine for dumb video game players, TV viewers would realize how supremely stupid it was.

There's also the thing that actors get paid to have their faces shown on TV. But yeah, overall, I just don't get the argument that everything has to be realistic because that has never been the case in most fictional stories.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I think my point is clear. If you have a different opinion on the topic, that's totally fine.

In my eyes, the bad TLOU2 writing did irreparabel damage to the IP. A third TLOU will sell much worse than the first two games.

TLOU1 was on a totally different level and above everything else. There was no need for a second part. Part 1 already had the perfect ending.

Your opinion is that unrealistic = bad writing. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If that were the case, most movies and TV shows today would have bad writing.

And there's no evidence that it would sell much worse than the first two games.

Aces High

Lazy fat man gets angry at the girl who has more muscles than them is what I've seen in every tlou threads.
That's a pretty stupid argument on multiple levels.

Why would the body shape of a person disprove their argument? Do you actually listen to what people say or do you just attack them based on appearance?

Some of the most succesful bodybuilding coaches of all time look like they've not moved their ass for ages.

And if you did notice that gamers, even those that praise TLOU1 as one of the greatest achievements in the history of video gaming, are complaining about Abby in every single TLOU thread, then maybe that's an indicator that her character is indeed bad design.

Justin9mm

That's a pretty stupid argument on multiple levels.

Why would the body shape of a person disprove their argument? Do you actually listen to what people say or do you just attack them based on appearance?

Some of the most succesful bodybuilding coaches of all time look like they've not moved their ass for ages.

And if you did notice that gamers, even those that praise TLOU1 as one of the greatest achievements in the history of video gaming, are complaining about Abby in every single TLOU thread, then maybe that's an indicator that her character is indeed bad design.
You're argument is stupid because you have no basis to back up your claim that Abby's appearance is not achievable naturally. Someone in the industry is telling you it 100% is. But you keep telling yourself you know more than an actual bodybuilder or fitness professional. You're a very ignorant childish person.

And all those 'gamers' complaining about Abby DON'T LIFT WEIGHTS!

Last edited:
EDMIX EDMIX I don’t know why you and others even bother trying to explain the Abby body stuff. The people who can’t believe someone with Abby’s body is possible have created an ironclad argument that you won’t be able to penetrate.

If you try and use actual evidence to prove them wrong(like a picture of a naturally jacked 6-foot-plus woman/Olympic athlete) they will make the claim that the person is still somehow using steroids, or they will claim that whatever is needed to achieve said build does not exist within the game’s world, no matter how implied it may be. Both ends of the argument are thus blocked off at that point.

They will forever think of Abby as an anomaly because they have already made up their minds and refuse to change. The actual problem here is that they can’t let this go and bring Abby up every time TLoU or Naughty Dog is mentioned. Hell, sometimes they will bring her up when Uncharted is mentioned. At times they bring her up and talk about her more than the fans who actually like the character.

Gp1

ZHGAAWP5L5JF3J6GW7MDXOOLCU.jpg

6055-simone-biles-1.jpg

strong-is-sexy-sanya-richards-ross-60386d063d6c4f9889ff19a204004d40.jpg

6-18.jpg

Not a single drug in any of these women

We have to be clear if we are talking about Olympic level athletes, at the peak of their competitive physique, with an entire life dedicated to training, a staff of coaches and health professionals, with perfectly crafted diets, free and abundant cutting edge nutritional supplementation, good genetics etc. Or your random "fight for survive/eat what you can" post apocalyptic survivor who lives under extreme stress, sleeps badly etc.

And don't even guess what happens when a good portion of these tier 1 athletes stops with their high level routine.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
So if looks dosent matter at all you can easily cast john cena as abby.. he seems like a good actor .. throw some makeup and a good wig and his ready, abby has almost zero feminine characteristics anyway, his boobs are even bigger then hers, change his voice a little with auto tune .. done.

Gtfo with this hypocrisy, honestly.

Looks does matter.. it matters to you and to everybody, the only difference is it matters more to some people and less for others or in some situations it matters differently for person to person.

So if I say her looks matters to me and she is obviously ridiculously different from the original character, you cant say is not important, is not important to YOU, but that do not by any means disqualify any argument against the similarities between the actress and the original character. Because I can guarantee that in some time in the future they will cast some abrsud person (even if a very good actor) for a role and you will not like it, if that hasn't already happened.

Last edited:
Everything unrealistic in TLOU1 appears realistic because the characters are realistic.

In TLOU2 the characters are badly written with Abby being the worst. It doesn't work.
TLOU1 is realistic because ignoring the fantastic zombie stuff everything is more or less following realistic social / human rules. For instance in the first the biggest threat on Ellie is rape from her biggest ennemy.

midnightAI

Incorrect. Women bodybuilders didn't really become a thing till the early 80's. Steroids were in use long before that.
Errr, I suggest you look up Katie Sandwina, Miriam Kate Williams, Abbye Eville, Louise Leers and many more from the early 1900's, long before the 1980's. And some of these are bigger than fictional Abby

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Looks does matter.. it matters to you and to everybody, the only difference is it matters more to some people and less for others or in some situations it matters differently for person to person.

This is kinda key to understanding the mindset of the fictional Abby. She'd have no reason given the post apocalyptic circumstances to care about her appearance, she'd be laser focussed on making her body into a weapon so she could be a stronger fighter and specifically enact vengeance on Joel.

Body builders are always chasing an aesthetic, they have a perception of how they want to look and train to create that. The best analogue are crossfit athletes who again are driven by performance and function over looks. Google women at the top end of that sport and Abby really doesn't seem that unusually muscular.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is kinda key to understanding the mindset of the fictional Abby. She'd have no reason given the post apocalyptic circumstances to care about her appearance, she'd be laser focussed on making her body into a weapon so she could be a stronger fighter and specifically enact vengeance on Joel.

Body builders are always chasing an aesthetic, they have a perception of how they want to look and train to create that. The best analogue are crossfit athletes who again are driven by performance and function over looks. Google women at the top end of that sport and Abby really doesn't seem that unusually muscular.
While I agree that a crossfit physique is probably the best fit, I also don't think those ladies are always getting there clean.

But regardless, I'm all for more buff chicks in these action roles. The days of stick thin ballerina build River Tam tossing guys across the room are over, we gotta get back to real martial artists/athletes doing this stuff.

You're argument is stupid because you have no basis to back up your claim that Abby's appearance is not achievable naturally. Someone in the industry is telling you it 100% is. But you keep telling yourself you know more than an actual bodybuilder or fitness professional. You're a very ignorant childish person.

And all those 'gamers' complaining about Abby DON'T LIFT WEIGHTS!
I lift weights. I think Abby is a horrible character. I do agree that her physique is attainable for a natural woman, especially one focused on Powerlifting and some good bodybuilding hypertrophy training. But it just come across as so disbelievable in the world and setting, even in ideal conditions, and then having her character be so insufferable on top of it, didn't really help paint her as a grounded human, even considering the world that it's set in. They tried to make her more well rounded with the flashbacks and what not... But it fell flat for me. I didn't care or like her one bit.

Justin9mm

I lift weights. I think Abby is a horrible character. I do agree that her physique is attainable for a natural woman, especially one focused on Powerlifting and some good bodybuilding hypertrophy training. But it just come across as so disbelievable in the world and setting, even in ideal conditions, and then having her character be so insufferable on top of it, didn't really help paint her as a grounded human, even considering the world that it's set in. They tried to make her more well rounded with the flashbacks and what not... But it fell flat for me. I didn't care or like her one bit.
I get it, my argument is solely that her physique is not so far from non fiction as people think it is. It is 100% possible and attainable and I see them in my gym every day. But yeah, keeping up with training and nutrition in that world can seem a little far fetched, but it's a video game after all, no different to movies and TV at the end of the day. Her character was meant to invoke hatred, that's the idea of a character, making you feel emotion. This is what I can't understand most about people hating on her and the game. TLOU2 was no more shocking than any other TV series killing off a beloved character and having characters you can't stand. I think the gaming community is very entitled, where they think they should control the story not the artist. Whether someone liked the story or not, that is the story and that is the vision. I loved and hated the story of TLOU2 at the same time and that in itself is an achievement IMO.

I get it, my argument is solely that her physique is not so far from non fiction as people think it is. It is 100% possible and attainable and I see them in my gym every day. But yeah, keeping up with training and nutrition in that world can seem a little far fetched, but it's a video game after all, no different to movies and TV at the end of the day. Her character was meant to invoke hatred, that's the idea of a character, making you feel emotion. This is what I can't understand most about people hating on her and the game. TLOU2 was no more shocking than any other TV series killing off a beloved character and having characters you can't stand. I think the gaming community is very entitled, where they think they should control the story not the artist. Whether someone liked the story or not, that is the story and that is the vision. I loved and hated the story of TLOU2 at the same time and that in itself is an achievement IMO.
She definitely gave me Kathy Bates from Misery vibes so in that regard I agree, she's supposed to be the person you dislike initially, but then with the flashbacks and then such a huge focus of the game being on her, I still didn't find her character to be more well understood or believable. But I agree, that people hyperfocus on her physique which I think is quasi-fair considering the setting, but she has so many other crappy things to complain about to focus solely on that can come across as incel behavior.

Eiknarf

Banned
Don’t know how i missed this thread.

Was hoping that Shannon Berry would be cast as Abby, but Kaitlyn Dever has some top notch acting chops. She will not disappoint

Excellent for the flashback scenes. I just wonder if she’s gonna bulk up for the present scenes?

Top Bottom