• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jensen Huang - We're no longer a graphics company

winjer

Gold Member

CEO [Jensen] sent out an email on Friday evening saying that everything is moving to deep learning and "We're no longer a graphics company". Nvidia, known for its longstanding role in video card manufacturing, has traditionally served both consumer and professional markets, maintaining a strong presence in the industry for over a decade. The company's position, however, is evolving, with a shift in identity from being solely a graphics card producer to embracing a broader technological spectrum. Jensen Huang, CEO of Nvidia, has articulated a change in the company's self-perception, no longer seeing it as exclusively a graphics card entity. This reorientation is fueled by diversified revenue sources, especially from the rapidly growing artificial intelligence (AI) sector.

This strategic transformation was highlighted by Greg Estes, Nvidia's Vice President of Marketing, who referred to an email from Jensen Huang. In it, Huang signaled a company-wide shift towards deep learning, moving away from being branded purely as a graphics entity. This shift is a critical step in Nvidia's transition to an AI-focused organization. Nvidia's strategic moves, including the pioneering of the term 'GPU' and the launch of the CUDA product stack, were highlighted in a feature by The New Yorker, which detailed the company's significant bets in technology.
Jensen Huang has candidly expressed his feelings about the company's journey, often waking up with concerns and anxieties instead of confidence. This reflects the numerous challenges Nvidia has confronted over the years. Acknowledging the dynamic nature of the tech industry, Huang admits to the absence of a fixed master plan for Nvidia, relying instead on intuition for key decisions at critical junctures.
Nvidia's path, regardless of individual perspectives on these developments, has positioned it as one of the world's most valuable technology companies. It now competes closely with industry giants like Amazon and Alphabet.

Considering the gigantic profits that Nvidia is making, it's no wonder that AI has become the new focus for the company.
Of course, NVidia will still make GPUs for gaming and 3D productivity, but it will not be the driving force.
So the question is how it will affect PC gamers in the future.

Unless you're living under a rock for the last few years, this has been known for a while. Especially after the Mellanox Technologies acquisition sometime ago.

Enterprise Computing and AI, are going to be the bulk of the revenue for them in this decade, and they'll use their graphics division for PR for their new products/technology.

As for PC gamers, well, you still have AMD. :p

They're not exiting PC/Consumer Graphics market, lol relax. More like AMD will join them soon with their own tech on AI, Intel will follow suit. Both AMD and Nvidia (separately) have bespoke ARM64 SoC's in the works btw, as we speak.

KaiserBecks

We AI now
Amy Poehler Sunglasses GIF by FOX TV

winjer

Gold Member
Them 'rebranding' themselves as an AI chip-making company first makes sense, and I'm sure the stockholders will be happy by this news.

AMD is also betting heavy on AI. And so is Intel.
This will probably mean smaller and fewer advancements with each generation, as these companies will spend less and less money on GPU R&D.

Hugare

Them 'rebranding' themselves as an AI chip-making company first makes sense, and I'm sure the stockholders will be happy by this news.

Hopefuly Intel will evolve rapidly, 'cause relying on AMD to save the day would be sad

Nvidia can sidestep from the GPU market for years, only cutting prices when necessary and they would still be the market leader

winjer

Gold Member
Except, they're owned by Nvidia.

You're thinking Matrox, which has slim chances of coming back as a mainstream graphics/consumer PC GPU vendor.

Matrox is just selling rebranded Radeon GPUs, with extra display ports.
So that is not an option either.

Hudo

But their "AI"-focus doesn't mean that they won't do graphics. Rendering is just one of the applications of a neural network. Like Neural Radiance Fields or, to be broader, Neural Rendering in general. Just doesn't use the old rasterization pipeline anymore, which GPUs were specialized hardware for.
That being said, Neural Rendering is still not at a point where it could be used for commercial games with the graphical fidelity and quality that is required.

So, their move in the long-term will be a good one, if the industry at large changes how graphics are rendered. In the short-term, maybe Intel and AMD can dominate the GPU market.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Well, Nvidia isn't really moving from a graphics company to an AI company but from supercomputing to AI. They were making a lot of money with their CUDA tech before AI hit the mainstream.

Sentenza

It shouldn't really come as a surprise for anyone who was paying attention.
They've been at the cutting edge of hardware production for AI for a while at this point.

AMD has also given up on graphics. RDNA4 will be mid range only.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that, but like the others have pointed out there's Intel as well and their Arc GPUs was a good first attempt at rejoining the dedicated GPU market. They can only go up from there and seriously compete with AMD offerings come next-gen.
Unless you're living under a rock for the last few years, this has been known for a while. Especially after the Mellanox Technologies acquisition sometime ago.

Enterprise Computing and AI, are going to be the bulk of the revenue for them in this decade, and they'll use their graphics division for PR for their new products/technology.

They're not exiting PC/Consumer Graphics market, lol relax. More like AMD will join them soon with their own tech on AI, Intel will follow suit. Both AMD and Nvidia (separately) have bespoke ARM64 SoC's in the works btw, as we speak.
Never said they'll be leaving the market; just that Huang's messaging implies that consumer GPUs will probably not be their main focus anymore, which means less R&D for both consumer hardware and software. Hopefully Intel will be able to pick up the slack with their next-gen intel arc gpus since they have something good cooking there minus the poor drivers.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
NVidia owns most of the IP from 3Dfx, so that is impossible.
Why would IP from 10 years ago matter now?

I am also no sure how much more innovation we need in the GPU space. 5090 in 2025 followed by 6090 in 2028 might be enough. I wonder if discrete AIPUs will replace GPUs as a high end component or if the GPU will handle both.

A perfect example of companies being in the wrong business.

Nvidia was such a little guy before and look at them now.

You better believe that other companies look at this and think about how they're actually scaled for growth.

sucks for the price level for our gaming stuff. (especially since AMD is not really eager to go to war on the price front, since they'll lose and Intel is also not yet really there to even try)
Having a 4060 as the lowest "entry" product is already an expensive joke, but for workstations offering the RTX 4000 Ada as the entry is just insane. Considering it and also the previous non quadro quadros are not actually several miles away from P620 or T1000 cards.
Price multiplied many times more than performance. Triggered by crypto and everything still going up.

Zathalus

They haven't been pure graphics for quite a while. The GPU market still brings in billions of dollars so no chance they will leave it.

StereoVsn

Their $20K Enterprise Compute/AI GPUs are on a 3-4 months backorder. They have been Enterprise and AI heavy for a while but it really took off since GPT-3 and ChatGPT release.

Although it’s going to be interesting what happens in the future since there is competition coming from Intel (AI hardware, not GPUs), AI focused hardware startups and Hyperscalers building their own chips.

Nvidia is also pretty heavily making inroads into car compute, other integrated systems and more.

So Nvidia probably has about 2-3 years of “unlimited” sales before they will be forced to lower margins. Hence there won’t be much focus on gaming at all including software and driver development unfortunately. So yeah, good for Nvidia stock holders, bad for gamers.

WitchHunter

Banned

Considering the gigantic profits that Nvidia is making, it's no wonder that AI has become the new focus for the company.
Of course, NVidia will still make GPUs for gaming and 3D productivity, but it will not be the driving force.
So the question is how it will affect PC gamers in the future.

What is he cooking this time?

dave_d

I always like to point out that when I was building my PC back at the end of 2020 I was totally willing to buy an AMD graphics card. However I couldn't since AMD managed to be worse at production and had an even worse shortage than Nvidia. (I hope someone steps up to the plate, I have no idea who that's going to be.)

Top Bottom