• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremey Soule compares Piracy to the Holocaust

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://jeremysoule.wordpress.com/2010/09/17/dear-michael-geist/

How bad is piracy today?

But forget the Pirate Bay… Piracy is now mainstream. Not since the Holocaust have we seen so many people of a select group forcibly stripped of their livelihoods in a public euphoria of false morals. As one who is of Jewish descent, I can say that I make this statement in a very narrow fashion, but there are similarities. Creators are being vilified, laughed off and treated with indifference by scary multitudes of people who care not for artists’ lives or liberties–let alone the concerns involved in the making of art. The new “norm” is being heralded as “liberation” from the “contrived” and “unfair” standards of fees and payments that have traditionally been worked out in a fair market society. Instead, this is the new unfair market society. The “Jews” in this valid analogy are creators. We are losing our homes, our futures and our ability to take care of our children. Laugh. I dare you. And unlike the streetlamp lighters, the world still needs creators!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
QyAC7.jpg

glaurung

I thought we were approaching the time of enlightenment, end of piracy and people paying for goods and services that they enjoy and use?

The holocaust card is a retarded card to play though.

Rapstah

TheShampion said:
You may not have a great analogy if you have to point out how "valid" your analogy is.
But he's Jewish, he's got to have a point since his analogy relates to jews!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I love how he uses the fact that he's Jewish as some veil. Yes you being Jewish makes that comparison absolutely appropriate!

Yes piracy puts creative people into getthos, mutilates them, uses them for perverted experiments, injects them with fuel, gasses them, ... yeah... piracy is totally a combined racially motivated effort to cleanse this earth from creative lower humans.

Good god, I know that some people tend to be very liberal with their analogies, but this is just downright retarded.

jorma

is now taking requests
The entire article is filled with retarded hyperbole. The holocaust comparison is just the worst one.
This reminds me of the spoof sites that pretend they are fundamentalist christians.

eXistor

I don't care what you say, comparing anything linked to the entertainment industry with the Holocaust is just plain 'ol fashioned retardation speaking.

Get another job. Artist create out of passion, you want to make money? work on Wall Street.

There's been plenty of jobs over the last 150 years that used to make a lot more money before technology, or changes in society made them less lucrative.

Why does he think he deserves more money? because someone else did earn more for doing the same job 25 years ago?

Suairyu said:
Unfortunately, his stupid analogy will just be used by people as a reason for piracy.

People don't go "oh, that anti piracy guy is dumb, I'm going to pirate something to show him". They just pirate stuff they want, when they want it. It's less about malevolence and more about convenience.

John_B

So it's not the goldmine it used to be. I bet you are still doing alright, and having to buy one less Lamborghini to put your kids trough an elite school is not comparable to the holocaust.

The greed of people is fucking amazing. We can't just be happy about doing fine, we need a pile a money that penetrates the sky.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Piracy has been around for as long as Jeremy Soule has been composing music. If people want something for free, they will go to the easiest length possible to do it. His comparison is ridiculous though.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
People don't go "oh, that anti piracy guy is dumb, I'm going to pirate something to show him". They just pirate stuff they want, when they want it. It's less about malevolence and more about convenience.

You're sort of validating his argument, like this. The Nazi fueled the hate of Jews, and people followed because of convenience.

It's probably the tiny bit of sense I can find in his absurd comparison: something bad is happening, people would never want to be caught justifying themselves on a personal level, but as a collective, they just don't give a fuck because they reap the benefits.

John_B said:
So it's not the goldmine it used to be. I bet you are still doing alright, and having to buy one less Lamborghini to put your kids trough an elite school is not comparable to the holocaust.

The greed of people is fucking amazing. We can't just be happy about doing fine, we need a pile a money that penetrates the sky.

Your stupidity is the stuff of legends.

It's not up to you to decide when a guy is doing "fine". The fact that I'm "rich" (I honestly doubt Soule is, by the way) doesn't make stealing justified.

And I'm sure all the young composers that unlike Soule will never have a chance because they're trying to emerge in a time when making profit out of your creativity is so hard would say even harsher things about piracy, but since they will never emerge, you'll never read them.

markot

Banned
Those anti piracy ads havent tried that tact yet.

'You wouldnt steal a car'
'you wouldnt steal a purse'
'you wouldnt put a jew in an oven'

>_>

Suairyu

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Of course not, but they use reasons like this to intellectually justify it. See this juicy piece of shit-thick stupidity:
travisbickle said:
Why does he think he deserves more money? because someone else did earn more for doing the same job 25 years ago?
Because people listen to his music. The music he made. For as many people who should have paid for his work (ie. they listened to it), he should get paid. That's how business works - make a product, sell it. Your arguments are he should make shit for your enjoyment out of passion and do something else to make money. You're being ridiculous.

ruby_onix said:
Holy goddamn.

Wrong star

Top Bottom