• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The End of Christian American

Status
Not open for further replies.
JayDubya said:
Well, in that case, theism is an effective buffer for those that need it in order to help them vote relatively more sensibly. :p

In my experience, it's the exact opposite. If it weren't for the looney religious right, the Republican party would be run by true conservatives instead of nutjob neocons. Fundies inevitably prop up the least "sensible" Republicans at primary time.

Blader

Stoney Mason said:
Fundamentalism doesn't equal atheism. Especially since most atheists including the man some love to hate on GAF, Dawkins, doesn't advocate a 100% strong classical atheist stance. In fact very few atheists actually do.

I didn't say they were equal, I said they were equally ridiculous. =P That is, I think they're both crazy, but obviously for different reasons.

And by fundamentalism, I'm referring to religious fundamentalism. People who take the Bible literally, creationists, and the like.

Mumei

Blader5489 said:
I didn't say they were equal, I said they were equally ridiculous. =P That is, I think they're both crazy, but obviously for different reasons.

And by fundamentalism, I'm referring to religious fundamentalism. People who take the Bible literally, creationists, and the like.

Right, so why are they equally ridiculous?

Gallbaro

Banned
Well Evangelicalism is nothing less than merging a consumption culture with Jesus, to they really worship capitalism, just with Jesus as a figure head.

I mean look at the economy that has been built around Jesus in this country, worse than the Vatican during the crusades. At least they used monks, and not Chinese slave labor like these Christan singers and merchandisers, I am sure Jesus would approve.

KHarvey16

Even if you define the "crazy" atheist as the type who claim there is definitely no god, I can't imagine any scenario in which they are as crazy as a religious fundamentalist.

Ionas

JayDubya said:
IIRC... Didn't he leave his fiancee at the altar, then spend the rest of his life single? I can't imagine he's the best font of knowledge for such things.
What, that makes him inexperienced? Origen only chopped his balls off once, but I'd still consider him an expert on the matter.

Blader5489 said:

And that's a perfectly fine position to hold once we divide out that atheism is a scale and that very few actually hold the position of literal knowledge of the non-existence of a god or gods at the very end of that scale.

Blader5489 said:

Atheists, who view reality based on logic, science, and the observable universe, are as crazy as people who view reality based on family tradition and selectively chosen books from thousands of years ago?

Gallbaro

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
Even if you define the "crazy" atheist as the type who claim there is definitely no god, I can't imagine any scenario in which they are as crazy as a religious fundamentalist.

Complete Cultural Relativists. God provides universal morals, even if tyrannical.

The rejection of dogmatism is more important than the rejection of religion. It just so happens to be the case that mose religions are innately dogmatic. People should always try to come to conclusions about issues through the use of reasoning. We shouldn't settle for anything less.

Archer

Earthstrike said:
The rejection of dogmatism is more important than the rejection of religion. It just so happens to be the case that mose religions are innately dogmatic. People should always try to come to conclusions about issues through the use of reasoning. We shouldn't settle for anything less.

well said.

Tobor

JayDubya said:
All set for what? :p

I've always been puzzled by the level of concern my fellows have for what other people believe; one of the biggest perks, I feel, of being a non-theist, is simply to sleep in on Sunday and not give a shit.

Whereas much shit-giving is had by you people.

To grow and evolve as a species and world society. Duh.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Stoney Mason said:
Well I can tell you for a fact that most of the people who have theistic beliefs in some form down South aren't reading Kierkegaard so they are not this form of likable theist. When I run into more of those I'll update my outlook.

Or reading anything for that matter. That isn't meant to be a sleight against southerners, but most AMERICANS don't read at all.

Blader

ianp622 said:
I'm curious why you think atheism is ridiculous, unless you mean the belief that there is 0 possibility of the existence of god.

Ugh...reading this tells me that I've gotten something wrong with the semantics and definitions. :lol

Basically, it boils down to this: I'm no expert on any kind of science--bio, chem, physics, whatever--but it has always been my understanding that the one of the principles of any scientific theory is that something comes from something else. Buildings and machines are created by people; living organisms are created by other organisms in the long evolutionary chain; the cells from which life originates from come from chemicals are created out of the planet's own natural phenomena; planets and stars are created from clouds of gas and dirt; and the universe is created from...what? Nothing? That's where it loses me.

It always seem ludicrous to me that people who firmly believe that everything is created from something else, and yet when it comes the origin of everything (i.e. the universe), then those same people betray that principle and say the universe was created from nothing. Like I said, I'm probably using the wrong definition, so I don't know who fits into this category--atheists, scientists, whoever.

I'm not saying there's an invisible man living in the clouds who created the world in 7 days. Personally, I view God as more of an energy (like a kind of grand unified theory) than a deity, and that the universe was created from that energy (which, I think, is something a lot of scientists agree on? though they wouldn't call it "God"). But like I said, that's my own interpretation.

It just always seemed to me that the idea that everything in the universe is created from something, except the universe itself which is created from nothing, is ridiculous and intrinsically hypocritical. But as I said earlier, I might be wrong in categorizing that idea as part of atheism.

So whatever that idea would be called, that's why I find ridiculous. =P

KHarvey16

Blader5489 said:
Ugh...reading this tells me that I've gotten something wrong with the semantics and definitions. :lol

Basically, it boils down to this: I'm no expert on any kind of science--bio, chem, physics, whatever--but it has always been my understanding that the one of the principles of any scientific theory is that something comes from something else. Buildings and machines are created by people; living organisms are created by other organisms in the long evolutionary chain; the cells from which life originates from come from chemicals are created out of the planet's own natural phenomena; planets and stars are created from clouds of gas and dirt; and the universe is created from...what? Nothing? That's where it loses me.

It always seem ludicrous to me that people who firmly believe that everything is created from something else, and yet when it comes the origin of everything (i.e. the universe), then those same people betray that principle and say the universe was created from nothing. Like I said, I'm probably using the wrong definition, so I don't know who fits into this category--atheists, scientists, whoever.

I'm not saying there's an invisible man living in the clouds who created the world in 7 days. Personally, I view God as more of an energy (like a kind of grand unified theory) than a deity, and that the universe was created from that energy (which, I think, is something a lot of scientists agree on? though they wouldn't call it "God"). But like I said, that's my own interpretation.

It just always seemed to me that the idea that everything in the universe is created from something, except the universe itself which is created from nothing, is ridiculous and intrinsically hypocritical. But as I said earlier, I might be wrong in categorizing that idea as part of atheism.

How the universe started is not understood well enough to really classify anyone as believing it was created from nothing. The big bang certainly starts with something, but before that isn't so clear.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Believers all have a City in the Sky, so they need stop trying to enforce their morality on this one. Post-Christian movement must scare them, I wonder what the new hippies will be... oh wait, Non-believers!

I personally regard my beliefs purely spiritual, no strong beliefs in a single or multiple entity that I would consider God.

Gallbaro

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
How the universe started is not understood well enough to really classify anyone as believing it was created from nothing. The big bang certainly starts with something, but before that isn't so clear.
God is a three year old and our universe only exists for a second as he devours our cosmic mix in what is known to him as a Slurpee.

Hell it is possible, that is why I am Agnostic.:D

Blader5489 said:

Atheism isn't the province of the literal birth of the universe. Most atheists probably don't care if someone views "God" as the beginning of the universe when somebody conceives it as something so undefined as energy. Historically atheism has been the specific rejection of the specific gods we create here on earth with special insight into what they want and especially their holy texts that religion derives knowledge of the universe from. If God was simply a word for "we don't know" then there would be no problem. But the religions with the most sway on this planet do not mean "We don't know" when they say God. They are generally giving a relatively specific interpretation to the motivations and will of said deity.

Aaron

Gallbaro said:
God is a three year old and our universe only exists for a second as he devours our cosmic mix in what is known to him as a Slurpee.

We all know the universe was sneezed into existence. Beware the coming of the Great White Handkerchief!

KHarvey16

Gallbaro said:

Meaningless! What really matters is...what flavor?

xbhaskarx

Earthstrike said:
The rejection of dogmatism is more important than the rejection of religion. It just so happens to be the case that most religions are innately dogmatic. People should always try to come to conclusions about issues through the use of reasoning. We shouldn't settle for anything less.

Well said, but it's the type of statement almost everyone can agree with, because who ever says "I do NOT arrive at conclusions through the use of reasoning"?

ianp622

Blader5489 said:

If you're interested: http://www.vuletic.com/hume/cefec/1-1.html

Also, many atheists and scientists simply say "We don't know." I see nothing ridiculous in that.

xbhaskarx said:
Well said, but it's the type of statement almost everyone can agree with, because who ever says "I do NOT arrive at conclusions through the use of reasoning"?
Romantics?

I kid, I kid

Gallbaro

Banned
SoulPlaya said:
Doesn't religion in America go in cycles? Give it another 20 years, and see what happens.

Generational, usually with a correlation to economic strength, just like political affiliation.

Lets hope the quiverfull movement does not work.

Silent Death

lemme get one or two licks
Blader5489 said:

Yeah you lost me also. What are you talking about, the universe, as currently understood didn't come from nothing. It originated from a singularity, a something, not nothing. You should at least take a class on the subject before you start attempting to discredit it.

Mumei

Earthstrike said:

I like you.

etiolate

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
Except for the part that the "religious" group is gravitating towards the more hardcore, fundamentalist, literalist portions of Christianity.

I think the churches are, but that doesn't mean the religion or the religious are. We have giant Walmart size churches over here that fight each other over size and recognition and they tend to eat up patrons of the smaller churches around them.

Kettch

This trend should continue for the foreseeable future. Religion relies on a closed environment to flourish. When someone is brought up in a religion, with their family and everyone they know following it, chances are they will too. In general people aren't choosing their religion, they're believing what they were taught according to their environment.

The increasing flow of information and ideas breaks this closed environment, and people suddenly have a choice on what to believe in, or whether to believe in anything at all. Having easy access to different views and the people who hold them is a major change from being secluded in a like-minded community.

The rise of fundamentalism is also easily explained as a response to this. Someone brought up with a strict religious teaching is more able to reject differing views compared to someone who is brought into religion casually. The churches move to fundamentalism is the obvious response to ensure a religion survives.

Marvie_3

Banned
I'm fine with any and all religions kinda fading away. I'm fine with people having their own beliefs, I'm just sick of hearing about them all the time.

Do any of you guys actually know people your age that go to church?

Because I really don't. I know older people that do, but no one in their 20s.

Tamanon

Banned
Lazy vs Crazy said:
Do any of you guys actually know people your age that go to church?

Because I really don't. I know older people that do, but no one in their 20s.

I do, but I'm in the South, so it's more prevalent here.

Religion, or at least mass religion is pretty well-tied to education level and methods. Although one could also make the argument that religion fills the void of those who have nothing more to work towards. It provides a kinda immediate benefit for those who aren't satisfied with long-term philosophical goals.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Ionas said:
Son of a...
Hey, I'm really interested in works by Søren Kierkegaard, what do you recommend??? My approach to Christian Existentialism has been pretty much tied down to Dostoevsky, I'm looking to expand.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Gallbaro said:
Generational, usually with a correlation to economic strength, just like political affiliation.

Lets hope the quiverfull movement does not work.
Yeah, atheism seemed on the verge of destroying religion in the late 1800s/early1900s (or at least that's what a lot of people thought), but that didn't happen, so we'll see. Personally, I think that if you truly believe in your faith, then it shouldn't matter to you.

ronito

I read this a while back was about to post it then I realized that this article assumes a logical world view, which is something evangelicals aren't necessarily well known for. Take it from a Mormon that was raised in Utah, at worst case the evangelical movement will become insular. Then start stabbing out exactly the way the mormons do. It's hard for things to end when it gets insular nigh impossible, like stopping an echo in an echo chamber.

Ionas

SoulPlaya said:
Hey, I'm really interested in works by Søren Kierkegaard, what do you recommend??? My approach to Christian Existentialism has been pretty much tied down to Dostoevsky, I'm looking to expand.
I'm woefully underexposed to his works, but "Attack Upon Christendom" and "Concluding Unscientific Postscript" are both fairly short and chock full of interesting ideas. I wouldn't recommend diving headfirst into, say, Works of Love or Either/Or.

His sermons are also fascinating, though more for their language and structure than their theology.

Karakand

Earthstrike said:
You don't understand man they have conviction.

Xun

Blader5489 said:

That reminds me exactly of what religious fundamentalists keep on saying.

"I WAS ONCE A SCIENTIST, BUT THAT WAS SILLY, BECAUSE DID YOU KNOW ATHEISTS ACTUALLY BELIEVE WE CAME FROM NOTHING? HOW SILLY IS THAT HUH? LOL THE BIG BANG THEORY AND EVOLUTION ARE THE SAME THING"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom