• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Moto was the first cool PlayStation game I ever played and I don't feel like enough people talk about it compared to other retro 3D racers

I was introduced to PlayStation with Crash Bandicoot but it was playing Jet Moto and listening to its music while cycling through the playable racers and reading the character bios next to the hand-drawn, comic book style art, and then being thrown into the first race when I thought, "This is cool. I keep driving into that palm tree while making that jump, but this is so cool!" Then I race on another track and it's one of the suicide courses and I remember it surprised me because there was a point where the track connects and the racers run into each other. I never placed first in the races but the game had a such a cool atmosphere to it, one that I never really felt in a racing game, particularly from Sony, until playing the original MotorStorm years later on the launch PS3. I even thought it'd be pretty cool to see a new MotorStorm that introduced hoverbikes like in Jet Moto that you could race alongside the other vehicle types.

That being said, I was wondering how many other people here enjoyed Jet Moto and did you like it more than other racing games released at the time such as Wipeout?

Last edited:
The first one was pretty barebones, the 2nd fleshed out way more features but I remember having fun with both of them.

I also remember a heavy Mountain Dew presence in the game.
Haha, yes, Mountain Dew and Butterfinger. The same generation of PlayStation that gave us (or rather Japanese players) Pepsiman.

AGRacing

I am a HUGE Wipeout guy. I tried Jet Moto and couldn’t get into it ... I felt it somehow wasn’t as smooth... and unfortunately I left it at that. I do still feel that Wipeout had the cooler look and feel but I was really into that kind of music and everything. I can’t stress enough how cool I thought Wipeout was !!!

But I’ve since heard from many that they loved Jet Moto .... and I promise if PS5 has backward compatibility I’ll give it another shot.

mortal

Gold Member
I had Jet Moto 1 & 2. I loved the comic book art style and the whole sci fi gran prix thing. Nice soundtracks as well.
I think I played a demo of Jet Moto 3 actually.

I just remember some of those tracks being hard as fuck and falling off many many many times lol.

Last edited:

drotahorror

There's only room for one bike game in this town and it ain't Jet Moto

Never heard of it. Looks wacky. Watching that though, obviously that person has mastered that game. I wonder what goes on in your head to be like, "ok I'm going to learn every shortcut, exploit etc, for Radical Bikes".

Yeah that gane wasn't particularly good
I think they had an arcade version from memory as I remember getting drunk with a mate and we versed each other and somehow his handlebar almost got lodged in my tailpipe when he tried to pull me off

.....I mean the actual jetbike and not some gay reference

Speaking of forgotten ps1 games....this smash tv rip off with a pretty catchy soundtrack

Pidull

Played Jet Moto for the first time in 2009 I think it was, I never owned a PlayStation and picked it up off of a friend's suggestion.

Blown away by how much fun it was. The frame rate was garbage, and many times collision detection was idiotic, but I couldn't put it down and played countless hours until I could get through the entire game winning every race. Game was ludicrously hard and I loved it.

To the op I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE bro! Lol i love jet moto and i played it with my father as a kid to death and enjoyed every second of it . Super challenging and sayisfying racer . Great soundtrack and just awesome nostalgia for me . To people who are saying it wasnt even good at the time are fools with bad taste sorry not sorry.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Game was hard until you mastered the physics of the grapple ray around tight corners, and could constantly do tricks to gain more boost (that might be a #2 thing only though can’t remember)

the soundtrack was phenomenal and was one that I routinely put into my dads high end sound system to listen to. (Back when you could just put discs into CD players to get entire osts redbook. Those were the days!)

the opening level Music from JM2 kicks you in the ass right from the opening green light

Last edited:

stranno

You should take a look at Hoverbike Joust.

It does not feature the magnetic corners ... device but it feels like an smooth Jet Moto game.

Last edited:

NAI1210

Never even heard of these games till just now, wipe out was the main racer in the UK and had a soundtrack by artists that we would have been more used to hearing in clubs, that in my opinion is one of the factors that made playstation do so well across here.

Had an amazing and underrated soundtrack too

Joyride and Ice Crusher are such awesome soundtracks. I think a reboot would be pretty cool but realistically there isn't a lot of demand for this particular IP. And it seems less likely with each new console generation as people forget about the games.

I remember reading about a Jet Moto game in development for the PS2. I'm curious what it might have looked like.

Enjay

Banned
The whole franchise was made obsolete by wave race 64 (yes it beat both of them somehow)

Last edited:

Cravis

Joyride and Ice Crusher are such awesome soundtracks. I think a reboot would be pretty cool but realistically there isn't a lot of demand for this particular IP. And it seems less likely with each new console generation as people forget about the games.

I remember reading about a Jet Moto game in development for the PS2. I'm curious what it might have looked like.
There was Jet Moto 2124 in development but then cancelled. From what I’ve read it was being worked on after 3 from Pacific Coast Power and Light.

Just noticed that the loading screen says Jet Moto 2125 but everywhere else refers to it as 2124. The races would take place all across planets in our solar system.

I don’t think anything has leaked images or video of the PS2 one other than that it was going to be titled Jet Moto Solar and developed by Redzone who previously worked on the Gameday series.

drganon

I used to own the first one and rented the second. Cant remember much about the gameplay specifically, but do remember the mountain dew advertisements.

Rayderism

Yeah, played the hell out of those Jet Moto games back in the day. It's really sad that games like that don't really get made anymore.

I'll have to see if I can find that Radikal Bikers game, looks trippy.

Jet Moto was trash and was a product placement game that was only good for the time it came out, same with the first sequel, 3 was a cash-in. At the time they came out they were fine, but man they all looked pretty bad, not terrible but bad, and the gameplay was subpar.

4Qw051.gif

Also don't forget to drink your Mountain Dew Op.

There was Jet Moto 2124 in development but then cancelled. From what I’ve read it was being worked on after 3 from Pacific Coast Power and Light.

Just noticed that the loading screen says Jet Moto 2125 but everywhere else refers to it as 2124. The races would take place all across planets in our solar system.

I don’t think anything has leaked images or video of the PS2 one other than that it was going to be titled Jet Moto Solar and developed by Redzone who previously worked on the Gameday series.

I guess there wasn't nearly as much work done on Solar. Not a fan of the 3D character selection either but then they did it for Jet Moto 3 too.

RavageX

I loved this series, however I can't go back and play it now, it looks way too rough. Would love to see a Remastered/Remake Collection of the series. Keep the comic style graphics, up the physics and we are good. Leave everything else alone. (Oh, and add a upgrade system/customization to the bikes)

Cravis

I guess there wasn't nearly as much work done on Solar. Not a fan of the 3D character selection either but then they did it for Jet Moto 3 too.
I imagine that JetX2o not doing so hot had a lot to do with the cancellation of Solar.

I’m with you I can’t stand the awful early 3D cgi models for the character selection screen. Twisted Metal 3s character models in the cinemas looked exactly the same art style. Thankfully they did hand drawn art for the character select on that one.

I definitely see the similarity in that last GIF, stranno stranno .

Speaking of MotorStorm Apocalypse, it also had hand-drawn comic book art, albeit for the cutscenes, but they didn't look very good seeing the characters animated. I really wish they approached it more like inFAMOUS.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had it way back when. It was one of those games that you almost had to at least tried on PS1. I don’t think it was ever given a chance later on. This is one of those games you’d always see on the store shelves or on the back of the PS1 console box.

This was at the time when I had Time Crisis and the Guncon. It was definitely a period of advancement and the PS1 had all the potential it needed. Compare it what was out there: Cruisin USA, Rush, Top Gear, and other various formula racing games. It was Sony’s version of Extreme G, but much better.

Top Bottom