• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

Ulme

Do you mean that MAYBE IF WE BUY THIS ONE, SEGA MIGHT MAKE MORE?

Is that what you're saying, person who worked on this game and obviously knows secret stuff from "behind the door" meetings?

KOTAKU do you hear that? This is how rumors headlines are made, right? "Inside sources say..."

haha, I don't know about SEGA's plans. I'm just saying it makes sense to think they'll take interest on more HD remakes if the ones that are out now sell well.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
People can say they want Shenmue.

But you don't really want Shenmue.

Shenmue fans, maybe. But speaking as a Shenmue fan, I don't want to be reminded that there will never be a Shenmue 3. Nor would I want to inflict that on anyone else.

Speaking as a Shenmue fan, I would like Shenmue remastered and preserved, made to work on the PC and therefore become hardware independent, capable of running on the hardware I will own in the future for the foreseeable future.

If you're a fan, you should want the best version available for as long as possible.

Found some more infinite loops that I haven't seen before.

http://youtu.be/SapXu2alcjs

These are for the Benten Plaza (ramp area), Benten Chinatown, and Kogane Residential Area. The ones for Chinatown and RA have additional paths that make them easier than the ones I posted earlier.

ilikeme

I played the trial version (ps3 version) and the game seems REALLY COOL. And super fun! I'd love to play it, but..

I'm playing on an SD tv, and the screen is very small - like it doesn't fill my tv at all. It's not widescreen or anything it's just a small screen, centered. I looked through the options and found no way to change this? Anyone know what's up with that?

Also the stuttering on ps3. I've seen videos of the game running so smooth: are there any plans to fix this, like with a patch later on? I don't think the stuttering would kill it for me, if I get the screen slightly larger, but still.

Cheddahz

Banned
I have never played JSR before, but I have 800 MS points just laying in my account and I'm a huge Sega fan, worth getting it (even though I have never played it)?

FGMPR

Banned
I have never played JSR before, but I have 800 MS points just laying in my account and I'm a huge Sega fan, worth getting it (even though I have never played it)?

It pretty much epitomizes Dreamcast-era SEGA, so take that for what you will.

jett

D-Member

It's one of the last classic Sega games that really epitomizes what Sega was all about, I think it has aged beautifully too.

Xav

The controls are a bit clunky but it's a fantastic game with plenty of style and a killer soundtrack. You'll play the game and truly understand the meaning of "The Dreamcast didn't fail us, we failed it".

Cheddahz

Banned
It pretty much epitomizes Dreamcast-era SEGA, so take that for what you will.
It's one of the last classic Sega games that really epitomizes what Sega was all about, I think it has aged beautifully too.
The controls are a bit clunky but it's a fantastic game with plenty of style and a killer soundtrack. You'll play the game and truly understand the meaning of "The Dreamcast didn't fail us, we failed it".
Hmm alright then, looks like I'm going to download the trial of it and give it a spin myself, I'll admit though, the style of the game looks beautiful

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Now I remember why I lost interest fairly quickly 12 years ago. Controls piss me the hell off. They don't react the way I'd like far too often. Too much jumping in directions I didn't intend. Plus the time limit and some of the cops get fucking annoying. I wish they would have picked either cops or the time limit. Both is obnoxious.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Now I remember why I lost interest fairly quickly 12 years ago. Controls piss me the hell off. They don't react the way I'd like far too often. Too much jumping in directions I didn't intend. Plus the time limit and some of the cops get fucking annoying. I wish they would have picked either cops or the time limit. Both is obnoxious.

I really do think that Time Limits in games is something antiquated that, somehow, still stuck on games this generation (mostly Japanese ones). I never liked how it's used to "move the game along". I always feels like it's there simply to prolong your enjoyment of the game: Oh you want to do everything in this stage at once? Sorry, you can't, because you have to hurry the fuck up.

It's the SINGLE problem I have with Dead Rising. Game is still amazing, but it would be much better without it.

geebee

Banned
Bought both console versions. Probably said somewhere in these 32 pages, but is the camera movement more jerky in the PS3 version compared to X360??

I disagree with your post entirely, but especially the part about the time limit and cops. Both mechanics are tied together intrinsically in this game, and personally I feel that the gameplay would miss either one if they were gone.

In fact the game essentially does it with the Jet challenges where they remove the cops and only have the time limit. They provide a nice change of pace and I enjoy them, but are the weakest part of the game for me. I wouldn't want that to be the meat of the game.

The time limit is always generous and the escalating police forces usually quite easily avoided with a bit of thought put into your approach and some skill at the platforming (which just comes with a bit of practice). Combined together I found they provided the perfect amount of challenge and created some exquisite gameplay. And I say this as someone who went into the game (and entered this thread) with some trepidation about there being time limits.

Sounds like you might be more interested in the sequel, JSRF. Though I'm playing through it right now and find the gameplay greatly lacking compared to the original, probably one of the most disappointing sequels I've ever played. I feel like a massive part of what makes the original so special was just ripped out of the game. What's left is still fun, but it's missing ingredients that made the original a classic.

Tain

I've been pretty happy with the quality of Sega's re-releases so far. The recent dash of 16-bit and 8-bit M2 rereleases have been perfect, and Sega should always go to M2 for theses. Always. This latest batch of 3D releases has been solid, and if JSR is the standard to expect, I'm fine with that.

The only problem is that I'm not the one choosing the games. :)

iavi

From the word read, blits jsr effort seems a bit better than Sega's own with SA2/Nights. And they got the super solid PC port out on time.

I want them to be used again.

UrbanRats

Done with Grind city, easier segment than i remembered, even because you can spray the helicopters and make them fall down, Combo is fucking useless, though.

Kujo

Vita version comes out in a week, anyone getting it? I don't have a Vita yet, but will double dip when I do, assuming performance is good. It shouldn't suffer from any fragmentation issues since it's all flash memory right (note: I have no idea)? Actually that makes me wonder about how it performs on the new 12GB PS3

From the word read, blits jsr effort seems a bit better than Sega's own with SA2/Nights. And they got the super solid PC port out on time.

I do too, so long as they patch this weird-ass restart requiring slowdown bug on PC.

Tailzo

I'm surprised that JSR isn't better liked by the podcasters I listen to. It's tricky, sure. But it can't only be nostalgia that makes me feel the game is so superb in terms of style, gameplay and general feel of the "world"?

Sushigod7

Vita version comes out in a week, anyone getting it? I don't have a Vita yet, but will double dip when I do, assuming performance is good. It shouldn't suffer from any fragmentation issues since it's all flash memory right (note: I have no idea)? Actually that makes me wonder about how it performs on the new 12GB PS3

I haven't got to pick up yet on PS3 so I'll probably go Vita, I was going to do both but at this point Vita will probably get played more. I guess I can be the guinea pig.

Eusis

It's why I blew off the console/PC versions. Want to see if the Vita version turned out well, and get that.

Only NiGHTS had any issues that detract from the port (not getting the analog right, apparently). SA2's biggest problem is that it didn't age well at all; the port wasn't bad.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

I will be.
Fortunately it ran just fine on my PS3. I was almost expecting a little "jankiness".
But I wanted to play it seriously on my Vita.

UrbanRats

I wonder if there's a way to unpack the game's textures, characters' in particular, i think it would be fairly easy to trace them in photoshop and have a 100% source accurate highres pack, so to speak.
They're mostly flat colors, so it can't be that hard.

Environments' textures are more complicated, so that would be trickier to keep the original art, still.. it would be worth a try.

I wonder if there's a way to unpack the game's textures, characters' in particular, i think it would be fairly easy to trace them in photoshop and have a 100% source accurate highres pack, so to speak.
They're mostly flat colors, so it can't be that hard.

Environments' textures are more complicated, so that would be trickier to keep the original art, still.. it would be worth a try.

Well, Jet Set Radio, like a lot of Sega's Dreamcast games, uses CRI for compression. There are definitely tools out there to unpack and re-pack CRI middleware.

UrbanRats

Well, Jet Set Radio, like a lot of Sega's Dreamcast games, uses CRI for compression. There are definitely tools out there to unpack and re-pack CRI middleware.

I looked around a bit and i've seen that people more tech-savvy than me have tried (without success, so far) too bad. :(

Grief.exe

Speaking as a Shenmue fan, I would like Shenmue remastered and preserved, made to work on the PC and therefore become hardware independent, capable of running on the hardware I will own in the future for the foreseeable future.

If you're a fan, you should want the best version available for as long as possible.

This is exactly how I see PC ports of classics.

Its a way to preserve a game in its definitive form and have the capability of playing it in the future.

My favorite part is the texture enhancements, patches, widescreen/hud fixes, and DX9 inputs for other post processing effects (these mostly pertains to classic games). A game can truly last forever with the right modding community.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Just completed chapter 1. I'm REALLY having an issue with the controls. I feel like the character never really does what I want him to do. The Noise Tank pursuit level was especially brutal because of that.

I love everything else about the game though.

SykoTech

Sat down Jet ranked Grind City to get that over with. SHould be smooth sailing from here.

the combo challenge is making me so angry right now. fuck

Protip: when you get to the part where Beat goes into the halfpipe area, follow him down there but jump on the thin upper ledge instead off falling all the way to the bottom. Beat will get to a point where he waits for you to catch up, and you can easily pass him then if you're on the upper ledge.

Just beat it. Yeah Grind Square and Bantam street had some severe slowdown problems amongst other areas here and there but meh. I don't really get bothered by slowdown like this, it's not even as bad as most current gen games. The camera and controls have aged poorly, even more so than Sonic Adventure (mind you, I still think it's perfectly playable, too many people seem to make controlling SA akin to playing Bubsy 3D while blindfolded or something) but I still greatly enjoyed it. This was however after I got my bearings on the control scheme's quirks. This port is honestly really impressive to me. I praise both Sega and the team for going out of their way to retrieve the original soundtrack as well as porting it to 4+ platforms. All that couldn't have been easy. After the shit letterboxed port of a port of a port SA was to PSN, I'm nothing but happy that JSR came out the way it did, despite hiccups here and there.

I want to add I played on an OG 60 gig PS3, with little to no slowdown outside of the aforementioned levels. At least not as bad as what people here described.

Just beat it. Yeah Grind Square and Bantam street had some severe slowdown problems amongst other areas here and there but meh. I don't really get bothered by slowdown like this, it's not even as bad as most current gen games. The camera and controls have aged poorly, even more so than Sonic Adventure (mind you, I still think it's perfectly playable, too many people seem to make controlling SA akin to playing Bubsy 3D while blindfolded or something) but I still greatly enjoyed it. This was however after I got my bearings on the control scheme's quirks. This port is honestly really impressive to me. I praise both Sega and the team for going out of their way to retrieve the original soundtrack as well as porting it to 4+ platforms. All that couldn't have been easy. After the shit letterboxed port of a port of a port SA was to PSN, I'm nothing but happy that JSR came out the way it did, despite hiccups here and there.

I want to add I played on an OG 60 gig PS3, with little to no slowdown outside of the aforementioned levels. At least not as bad as what people here described.

The only time I've seen this mentioned it's been from PS3 users, FYI.

Are there any comparisons floating about? I'm finally going to bite and can't decide on a version...

It seems like the 360 version is the most solid option. If your hard drive is fragmented you may encounter some hitching/sound blips, but you can reformat your drive or put the game on a USB drive and there won't be a problem.

It seems like the 360 version is the most solid option. If your hard drive is fragmented you may encounter some hitching/sound blips, but you can reformat your drive or put the game on a USB drive and there won't be a problem.
Actually, from what I've seen, PC version is the most solid option. 1920x1080, AA, no notable slowdowns (depending on your hardware)... only issue is the slow framerate that you get if you haven't turned your computer fully off in a while, but a reboot fixes that.

Actually, from what I've seen, PC version is the most solid option. 1920x1080, AA, no notable slowdowns (depending on your hardware)... only issue is the slow framerate that you get if you haven't turned your computer fully off in a while, but a reboot fixes that.

Well sure. I was assuming he was asking about the console versions.

PS3 DS3 deadzone issues? This appears to be a problem with many games that are multi-plat.

Just discovered the documentary in the Bonus menu. Need to watch that sometime soon.

Didn't sound like it was related to the dead zone when people were talking about it.

The documentary is nice, but not amazing. I was hoping for more insight into the development process, and or pics/demos from the early days. Only got a little bit of concept art.

Top Bottom