• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan and Playstation must be sued for misleading PS5 buyer

Childish reasons aside, there's the implication that exclusive games use secret sauce and are thus better than multiplatform games. This hasn't been true for a decade now, but that idea is now entirely dead since all PS5 games will be made with a potential PC port in mind.
That's a bit of strawman. The main reasons there argued to be better are easier resource management and maybe better optimization.

Maybe optimization matters less these days but resource management is obviously still very important. The best looking 3rd party games have the most resources and biggest budget e.g. rockstar games.

Ist party devs obviously have an advantage having to work on less platforms.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
This was obvious since the new generation started, i think it's only a matter of time until sony launches it's own PC store and slowly phases out of the console market, i have my doubts about a PS6 and i think what will probably happen is a really extended PS5 life cycle with revisions.

The only way i see them focusing on hardware again is if is PSVR2 becomes a huge hit and that becomes their new focus going forward.
Why would they phase out of the console market when they sell how much they’re selling? Their revenue are the biggest when it comes to third party sales on their ecosystem. That makes no sense. The console market is not going anywhere.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Youre not answering the questions and going with whataboutism here

The point is i fell tricked spending my money buying PS5 to play game i though i can only get there
Bullshit. You're not pissed because you spend your money for a PS5 - you're pissed because those games aren't exclusive anymore to your plastic little toy.

Sony gave you a way to play their games at a solid performance at 500 bucks. (unless you got screwed by scalpers, which is your fault, not Sony's). Try and buy a PC which can play PS5 games as well as a PS5 can with just 500 bucks. I'll wait.

You were not deceived. You're just salty you can't mock X-Box/PC owners for not being able to play God of War and Spider-Man.

Grow the fuck up.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why don't sony give us the PS5 for free? According to him, it doesn't matter what makes business sense for them. What matters is that he gets what he wants. Does that sound reasonable to you? Why can't I get a house for free? That's what I want so that's what I should get, right? If only the world actually worked this way!
Sony is making short term business decision that might bite them long term.
For sure these decisions will bite ps5 gamers in some way and SlimySnake SlimySnake does not have to consider Sony business. He is only to consider his engagement.
My business as a consumer is to pay as low as possible for as much fun as I can get. If it puts Sony down the drain, I should not care. Otherwise I would be willingly donating to companies to make their busines better.
This is what he means. Not getting ps5 for free because he wants it

Swift_Star

Banned
Sony is making short term business decision that might bite them long term.
For sure these decisions will bite ps5 gamers in some way and SlimySnake SlimySnake does not have to consider Sony business. He is only to consider his engagement.
My business as a consumer is to pay as low as possible for as much fun as I can get. If it puts Sony down the drain, I should not care. Otherwise I would be willingly donating to companies to make their busines better.
This is what he means. Not getting ps5 for free because he wants it
I suggest those fans to seek help because the attachment to exclusive content is not healthy.
Are we suing Netflix for making Blu-ray Discs of their supposed exclusive tv shows? This makes no sense.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Bullshit. You're not pissed because you spend your money for a PS5 - you're pissed because those games aren't exclusive anymore to your plastic little toy.

Sony gave you a way to play their games at a solid performance at 500 bucks. (unless you got screwed by scalpers, which is your fault, not Sony's). Try and buy a PC which can play PS5 games as well as a PS5 can with just 500 bucks. I'll wait.

You were not deceived. You're just salty you can't mock X-Box/PC owners for not being able to play God of War and Spider-Man.

Grow the fuck up.
why throw "plastic little toy" around ?!
This is such a negative filled term. It triggers me.
My pc is about 5x more expensive than ps5 but it is still a plastic toy. I don't work on it, I work on my work computer.
It is purely a toy... which puts your "toy" term on the opposite end of the barrel. Now you are a fool who spent more for a toy than 400-500$ on a console that does the same thing.
(by the fool I also mean myself :p I don't use my pc enough haha !)

Topher

Gold Member
If a real PS5 only Sony game appears on PC then you can sue them.

Even then I don't see how. How is any PS5 gamer who bought a PS5 only game harmed or misinformed about the product they bought simply because it is available on another platform? Sony will take a PR hit if one of those games are ported to PC, but people who bought those games on PS5 got exactly what they paid for. Good luck even finding a lawyer who would take that lawsuit.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s shady yes but not that big of a deal really. Maybe if the games came out day one on pc. I guess they could always add a “ for now “ in small text after it lol

Last edited:

Shmunter

They didn't mislead anything I saw this coming in 2017 which is why I sold my PS4 and completely moved on. The end of truly exclusive content as well as the shift from Japanese centric content as a brand. I knew what PS5 was gonna be about years ago and I was right.

Look at the difference between how many PS3 games went to PC vs how many PS4 games did. PC/Playstation used to be two different worlds (with a few exceptions) this shift started to happen in the early to mid 2010s if it took someone to just now go "hey whats going on here" thats on you for supporting playstation while it was clearly leaning towards this future for quite some time. Sick of people acting like this current reality came out of nowhere when it really didn't.
Yet consoles sell record numbers each gen

Shmunter

That's the ports of old games that were developed to run on PS4 slow HDD. Easy to port.

I am talking about the likes of: God of War, Horizon that are still developped to run on PS4 and the future Naughty dog games. We know Horizon has being developed to run on PS4 and PS5. Are they creatively using the fast I/O like in Ratchet? Where is the RT at 60fps? Why do you think the 60fps (without RT) mode at launch was awful? Because of cross-gen PS4 development.

Now we'll still get the same compromises than PS4 cross-gen with PC ports. Basically at some point the Playstation will be a PC Box, like an Xbox. Why bother developing exotic hardware if you need to port all the games on PC?
Check the recent Sony investor slides. PS4 support at 0% by 2025. The gen switch is gradual but complete by then.

Elios83

Why some people have to embarrass themselves like this :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Supporting PC only makes sense for Sony.
Console hardware sales have been the same for generations, basically if you dominate the market (and that's far from given) you'll sell 100-150m boxes in 7 years.
Things are not going to get better this gen because of hardware shortages.
This only means that while game development costs are rising, there is not a growth opportunity as a counterpart if you just stick to a single closed box.

Porting to PC games that are several years old is in no way harming console gamers.
It just allows Sony to make more money and make their games become even more popular.
That money will be invested in creating new games so it's a virtuous cycle.
PS5 will always be the only place where you'll be certain to be able to play all future Sony games at day one.
Xbox has been doing day one PC-console releases for years (so something way more extreme than what Sony is doing) and it hasn't damaged their hardware sales because many people just prefer the plug and play nature of a console and don't want to be bothered with drivers updates, settings, hardware upgrades and so on.

Sorry to say this but people complaining just need to grow up.

kyussman

When that advertising was released it was true that all those games were only on PlayStation.....so not really a lie was it.They changed their strategy.....they are allowed to do that.You can now play their games on PlayStation or PC......not sure why that would upset anyone.

Kilau

I’m going to say something most won’t like. But I respect Xbox’s transparency way more than Sony’s at this point.

This is what I’ve been saying for awhile. I admit I was on the “who needs an Xbox train” after that announcement that all 1st party titles were coming to PC day one. But in reality being completely transparent has made me more of an Xbox gamer than ever.

With play anywhere I don’t have to wonder or choose. I can easily go back and forth between my series X and PC for those games based on how and where I want to play. It doesn’t make my console feel lesser or my pc experience compromised, it just makes me more invested in the ecosystem.

Sony needs to either shit or get off the pot with day one and play anywhere style.

Swift_Star

Banned
This is what I’ve been saying for awhile. I admit I was on the “who needs an Xbox train” after that announcement that all 1st party titles were coming to PC day one. But in reality being completely transparent has made me more of an Xbox gamer than ever.

With play anywhere I don’t have to wonder or choose. I can easily go back and forth between my series X and PC for those games based on how and where I want to play. It doesn’t make my console feel lesser or my pc experience compromised, it just makes me more invested in the ecosystem.

Sony needs to either shit or get off the pot with day one and play anywhere style.
And devalue their games? Not happening. Play anywhere is very bad business practice tbh. MS should never have done that.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Only on Playstation...for 3 or 4 years.

It's not like it matters.
Although this isn't true at all, I fail to understand why this "waiting period" has relevance to the game itself. It's almost as if you are saying the game slowly has no merit over time even if the game is an outstanding game. If one decides to wait a year or more to play Elden Ring, is it no longer an incredible game?

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
OP is literally Bryank75
american-tv-and-film-actor-larry-hagman-best-known-for-his-role-as-jr-picture-id613512678
It seems like it. But this thread is still open so.....

Most of the PC ports are old games. Sony is going to take the money made from PC and reinvest it into making more PS5 games.

PC only gamers have to wait years to get PS games so the benefit to owning a PS5 is getting to play first party games early.

Jesus OP getting demolished.

But let's give them some credit, this is definitely something to look out for. Those saying spiderman is 4 years old etc, etc, are accurate but also taking a very narrow view of things.
Sony are just beginning to enter the PC market properly and they are starting by porting over thier amazing 1st party library.
But this is OBVIOUSLY just the beginning. Sony will ramp up development for PC moving forward and will increase release parity in a big way. Games will begin to release on pc within 12 months of the original launch and will likely be cheaper as well.

OP might be a bit preemptively salty but those dismissing them like this is not overtly Sony's plan going forward aren't paying attention. It's not like it will meaningfully impact console sales, the brand is too strong for that to be a concern, they will only benefit from digging deeper into PC.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Only difference is if you have patience or not. if you have infinite patience you don't need a ps5 anymore. if you want to play the newest exclusives on release day or asap, only way is on ps5

And this is the lie the PC crowd will keep telling people. Lies like this is what drives people like the OP crazy.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yes. It will when they won't develop for PS4, they'll still have to develop on PC so all specific PS5 hardware (notably super fast I/O) won't be used. They'll aim for PC I/O speed for streaming data and PS5 I/O will be underused.
That's not true at all. The PC was all their main development machines anyway. The PS5's SSD can pass data to the GPU faster than the GPU can render the pixels. I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

You made the classic mistake of thinking a corporation actually gives a fuck about you and not just your money.
Sony isn't your friend. You are a source of income and profit. .
It's like this. When you go to a hooker, she doesn't love you. All those sweet things she says to you, well, she doesn't mean them. You are just a source of income and she will tell you what you want to hear so you come back again.
You arnt special to her.
The same goes for your relationship with Sony.
All those Sony fanboys crying because Sony promised them the games were only going to be on PlayStation are like those John's who think the hooker really likes them.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Although this isn't true at all, I fail to understand why this "waiting period" has relevance to the game itself. It's almost as if you are saying the game slowly has no merit over time even if the game is an outstanding game. If one decides to wait a year or more to play Elden Ring, is it no longer an incredible game?
Most people that want to play a game will play it on launch, some will get it after 6 months or so. At 2 to 4 years, most will have moved on. It’s as simple as that.
Jesus OP getting demolished.

But let's give them some credit, this is definitely something to look out for. Those saying spiderman is 4 years old etc, etc, are accurate but also taking a very narrow view of things.
Sony are just beginning to enter the PC market properly and they are starting by porting over thier amazing 1st party library.
But this is OBVIOUSLY just the beginning. Sony will ramp up development for PC moving forward and will increase release parity in a big way. Games will begin to release on pc within 12 months of the original launch and will likely be cheaper as well.

OP might be a bit preemptively salty but those dismissing them like this is not overtly Sony's plan going forward aren't paying attention. It's not like it will meaningfully impact console sales, the brand is too strong for that to be a concern, they will only benefit from digging deeper into PC.
I don’t think the vast majority of the userbase actually cares about that.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Waiting doesn't change the game. It is simply a matter of not wanting to wait.

Most people that want to play a game will play it on launch, some will get it after 6 months or so. At 2 to 4 years, most will have moved on. It’s as simple as that.

I don’t think the vast majority of the userbase actually cares about that.
Well clearly if you are just a PS5 player there is nothing for you to care about, you're going to get your game on console regardless. But for gamers with a PC its food for thought for sure.

Potentially cheaper and at higher spec? Yeah that is worth thinking about.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Yet consoles sell record numbers each gen

I'm not a console warrior nor do I have sony stock so I don't care about sales I care about a console providing quality product I cannot find anywhere else
the second that stops being a thing (like with Playstation and Xbox) I stop supporting them.

even if 99% of gamers didn't care I do

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Its hilarious that there are people who think a for-profit company will not do what makes them the most money instead of trying to specifically please less than 1% of their customers. Maybe you should buy Sony or apply for their CEO position if you want to control them.

assurdum

Banned
Childish reasons aside, there's the implication that exclusive games use secret sauce and are thus better than multiplatform games. This hasn't been true for a decade now, but that idea is now entirely dead since all PS5 games will be made with a potential PC port in mind.
Lol. Sure now ND and Insomniacs will think about the pc port implication when develop ps5 exclusive and won't push it enough. Lets ignore there are dedicated studios about pc port and the pc is notoriously more powerful and easy to code.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
Even if every possible game on the planet came day 1 on pc, including xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo I still wouldn't play it there for various reasons. For starters, I can't make a capable PC for 499 USD, not even close. Also, I like to play games in my living room and no way I'd put my PC in the living room. Then there's no used games market. Then optimizations, store fragmentation, cheaters and probably many other things I can't remember.

Yes, I know there are many pros for PC, but not that important to me, and I understand if you don't care for all those things I mentioned.

Anyway, PlayStation games are still only on PlayStation in regards to consoles. Enjoy your games and don't fight petty console wars.

Bullet Club

I didn't mention anything about the quality of the games. The games will be PS exclusive (Only on Playstation) for a few years, then after that they are not.

If you played the game day 1 on PS, finished it and enjoyed it, how does it really affect you if someone else plays it 3 years later on a PC? That's what I was getting at.

Topher

Gold Member
Didn't that guy price the PS3 at $600 in 2006, thereby allowing PlayStations biggest competitor to flourish for an entire generation?

Jim Ryan never would have allowed that. He's too smart.

He didn't design PS3. Kutaragi did. And even at $600 it took a loss.

Kaz is largely credited for saving Sony as a whole.

Last edited:
Top Bottom