• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan and Playstation must be sued for misleading PS5 buyer

assurdum

Banned
Jim Ryan literally saved PlayStation from the idiocy of Shawn Layden. We should be starting a Go Fund Me to thank him for taking PlayStation into the modern era with such aplomb.

He is the best leader in PlayStations storied history.
Are you serious? Lets hope he doesn't destroy the playstation brand knowing him. He is completely disconnected to the fanbase and every time tries to do something with his own head, he have to make a fast step back because the fans literally assault him.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
He didn't design PS3. Kutaragi did. And even at $600 it took a loss.

Kaz is largely credited for saving Sony as a whole.

The only competition Jim Ryan has is with whoever was responsible for the PS1 and PS2 era. Sony leadership has been poor to middling ever since, up until Jim God King Ryan took charge.

One could also make the case, Jim Ryan faces a significant more dangerous market, with exponentially more threatening opposition toward compared to the 1990s/early 00s.

Last edited:

Kilau

Have they? They’re charging $70 for new games. This is not what devaluing means.
Raising the MSRP doesn't make the games any more valuable to the end user. Creating uncertainty over availability gives people an actual reason to delay purchases for years and that does devalue the games in real terms.

yurinka

Marvel's Spider-Man will be released on PC 4 years after its PS4 release, and Morales 2 years after its PS4 release. They have been exclusive for a good amount of time, enough to sel 33 million copies.

Who cares if a few games get ported to PC years after their PS release? More players will be able to enjoy them and PS Studios will earn extra money to keep making more PS5 only games, like Spider-Man 2. If PC players like Spider-Man and want to play its sequel that will be released some months after these ports they will need to buy a PS5 or wait several years and hoe one of those few PC ports to be released per year in the future will include Spider-Man 2.

unknown.png

PS Studios plans to release this fiscal year 2 PC ports (Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection and -split in two separated releases- Miles Morales: Ultimate Edition), and 7 PC ports for the fiscal year that ends in 2026. Instead they plan to release for this fiscal year 8 new games for PS (4 of them being crossgen) and 14 PS5 only games in the fiscal year that ends in 2026.

Their focus will continue being to make new games for PS, and to port a few old games to PC is only a secondary revenue to fund them by reaching more players. This investment in new releases for PS that fiscal year that ends in 2026 will be around 3 times of what they invested in PS games 6 years before.

This investment on PS only games will require a ton of money, so these -very cheap and profitable- PC ports of a few old games will help to fund them. This is why they do the PC ports, which btw weren't a Jim Ryan idea: they decided it in the Shawn Layden era.

Jimbo simply decided to invest more in everything: more in console games, more in traditional single player games, more in growing existing 1st party studios, more in acquisitions, more in 2nd party and 3rd party deals, more in VR games, more in improving their game subs, more in multiplayer/GaaS games, more in mobile games, more in PC ports of old games, more in tv series and movie adaptations. As a result they are gettin record numbers pretty much everywhere (the exception is hardware sales due to lack of chips, not due to lack of demand: they have record demand) and growing a lot in all areas.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The only competition Jim Ryan has is with whoever was responsible for the PS1 and PS2 era. Sony leadership has been poor to middling ever since, up until Jim God King Ryan took charge.

One could also make the case, Jim Ryan faces a significant more dangerous market, with exponentially more threatening opposition toward compared to the 1990s/early 00s.

Kutaragi was in charge of PlayStation from the very beginning up to and including the launch of PS3. Explain how PS management was so awful during the PS4 years.

assurdum

Banned
I have to premise I have nothing about pc port. From a customer perspective is great. BUT from Sony entertainment and playstation? I'm not that sure is that easy peasy. Sony is not Microsoft. Have you ever seen a Nintendo games on PC? Why not? Because Nintendo capitalize his hardware with exclusives. What I'm trying to say there, really Sony think port playstation games on PC won't impact negatively the hardware sales in the next decade? I don't see at all Sony be competitive with MS in the online rent service. It will be a massacre for them imo. Again I'm not talking of the actual Sony, but I would be very anxious to be Sony for the next generations, especially with Jim Ryan behind.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Bullshit. You're not pissed because you spend your money for a PS5 - you're pissed because those games aren't exclusive anymore to your plastic little toy.

Sony gave you a way to play their games at a solid performance at 500 bucks. (unless you got screwed by scalpers, which is your fault, not Sony's). Try and buy a PC which can play PS5 games as well as a PS5 can with just 500 bucks. I'll wait.

You were not deceived. You're just salty you can't mock X-Box/PC owners for not being able to play God of War and Spider-Man.

Grow the fuck up.
100% this. The atmosphere in these forums is going to change drastically over the coming years.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Most people that want to play a game will play it on launch, some will get it after 6 months or so. At 2 to 4 years, most will have moved on. It’s as simple as that.
My point is that it doesn't change the enjoyment of the game or it's status. It's still going to be a great game.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Kutaragi was in charge of PlayStation from the very beginning up to and including the launch of PS3. Explain how PS management was so awful during the PS4 years.

Great leaders position their vessel for short term as well as long term success. The PS4 had little to no competition so it's short term success was all but guaranteed. However, over the last 5 - 7 years, all of the industries biggest new game IP was created elsewhere and they were unable to figure out how to make single player games as successful as Nintendo.

Jim Ryan jumped in the cockpit just in time, and he's pulling on that joystick as hard as he can to avoid the mountain PlayStation was headed for. I don't use this word often, but he's a hero.

assurdum

Banned
Great leaders position their vessel for short term as well as long term success. The PS4 had little to no competition so it's short term success was all but guaranteed. However, over the last 5 - 7 years, all of the industries biggest new game IP was created elsewhere and they were unable to figure out how to make single player games as successful as Nintendo.

Jim Ryan jumped in the cockpit just in time, and he's pulling on that joystick as hard as he can to avoid the mountain PlayStation was headed for. I don't use this word often, but he's a hero.
Are you a Jim Ryan fake account? An hero of what exactly?

Last edited:
They need to show commitment and get these PC versions out on day one. Releasing 2+ year old games on PC at or even close to full price means I'll just hang on a bit longer and buy them when they hit $20 or less. I already waited, what's another couple years? If the games are good they'll still be good then too and I'm patient. I'm certainly not buying a console just for a handful of games when my current platforms have tens of thousands of games ready to play any time. If they're mediocre they'll just fade into obscurity outside the random lttp post about them.

Topher

Gold Member

I disagree. No one knew Xbox One was going to falter as much as it did and it doesn't make sense to hold that against PlayStation's leadership. PS4 was their second most successful console and made a ton of money for Sony. You are calling that a result of poor management? And how do you say PS4 had no competition and then use Nintendo as an example of their competition? Praise Ryan all you want, but your criticism of his predecessor's isn't making much sense.

Last edited:

ShaneDH

Neo Member
Stay tune for PS State of Play? More like stay tune for PC game news

UKCPcZQ.jpg

What happened to “Only on Playstation”? Why would they even go with that tagline in the first place? Exclusives do not matter?! Or is that not true?

Why not port them to Xbox? Because it’s the competition. They assume PC isn’t, or won’t be in x number of years.

Sony trained us over x number of years to believe exclusives do matter. It was really only 1 year ago that “Only on Playstation” was the tagline they were running with. Now we are to forget about it and go along with what they want to promote next. Just because I guess.

I’m going to say something most won’t like. But I respect Xbox’s transparency way more than Sony’s at this point.

For third party games, like Forspoken for example. Sony loves to be transparent. They’ll put fine print at the bottom “limited exclusive for x months”.

But for their own first party games which we now know are also timed exclusives, there is no such disclaimer. It’s disingenuous and they’re taking us for a fucking ride.

Remember when we all thought HFW was a PS5 only game? I do. They weren’t transparent about that either.

[/URL]

^
“IT IS TIME TO GIVE THE PLAYSTATION COMMUNITY SOMETHING NEW, SOMETHING DIFFERENT, THAT CAN REALLY ONLY BE ENJOYED ON PS5.”

Jim Ryan

images
You're talking about games that have been out years on Playstation and majority of the player base have played the games exclusively on Playstation.

I have no issues with Playstation porting there biggest games to PC. What I would love would be cross-platform play so I could game with mates on PC.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Stay tune for PS State of Play? More like stay tune for PC game news

UKCPcZQ.jpg

What happened to “Only on Playstation”? Why would they even go with that tagline in the first place? Exclusives do not matter?! Or is that not true?

Why not port them to Xbox? Because it’s the competition. They assume PC isn’t, or won’t be in x number of years.

Sony trained us over x number of years to believe exclusives do matter. It was really only 1 year ago that “Only on Playstation” was the tagline they were running with. Now we are to forget about it and go along with what they want to promote next. Just because I guess.

I’m going to say something most won’t like. But I respect Xbox’s transparency way more than Sony’s at this point.

For third party games, like Forspoken for example. Sony loves to be transparent. They’ll put fine print at the bottom “limited exclusive for x months”.

But for their own first party games which we now know are also timed exclusives, there is no such disclaimer. It’s disingenuous and they’re taking us for a fucking ride.

Remember when we all thought HFW was a PS5 only game? I do. They weren’t transparent about that either.

^
“IT IS TIME TO GIVE THE PLAYSTATION COMMUNITY SOMETHING NEW, SOMETHING DIFFERENT, THAT CAN REALLY ONLY BE ENJOYED ON PS5.”

Jim Ryan

images

giphy.gif

I honestly felt like I was reading a salty 12 year old post, crazy and embarrassing.

Sony is in this for the money don’t forget, they aren’t your friend and they don’t give a shit if you get upset because games move to PC. If you’re so pissed off about it, buy a PC and play everything there.

assurdum

Banned
What's going to happen in 5 years?
He will piss off a lot of fans doing something really stupid. I bet whatever you want. Again it's great pc player can play ps exclusives but it's a very dangerous move. It's not something we will see in the immediate, of course, but personally I would never did it at least not now with MS so aggressive in the live service.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
But it is talked about as if the game somehow loses merit.

What most are saying, from what I've seen, is that it harms PlayStation consoles in that exclusives are important for the platform and this is diluting that aspect of the ecosystem. I don't buy that argument at all, but I also have not seen anyone say that any single game is somehow diminished simply because it has been ported to PC. The post you quoted wasn't saying that either.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Most of the PC ports are old games. Sony is going to take the money made from PC and reinvest it into making more PS5 games.

PC only gamers have to wait years to get PS games so the benefit to owning a PS5 is getting to play first party games early.

Doubt will be waiting years when they want to put out live service games.

Topher

Gold Member

Yeah, the traditional single player game will probably be timed exclusive on PS while live service games really have to grab a big audience quickly.

assurdum

Banned
Did you have seen what playstation live service games is about? They already said no first parties exclusives at day one. Another genious move of Jim Ryan. He want to launch a live service but not want release first parties games at the day one. He want to stay with a foot in two shoes.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I disagree. No one knew Xbox One was going to falter as much as it did and it doesn't make sense to hold that against PlayStation's leadership. PS4 was their second most successful console and made a ton of money for Sony. You are calling that a result of poor management? And how do you say PS4 had no competition and then use Nintendo as an example of their competition? Praise Ryan all you want, but your criticism of his predecessor's isn't making much sense.

You don't need to know your opponent won't show up in order to benefit from your opponent not showing up.

The XBox One was weak competition so PlayStation being mediocre for a generation meant it looked fantastic by comparison.

The PS4 did not position PlayStation with a ton of relevant games in the long term, outside of Spiderman. Horizon, God of War and Uncharted 4 were very successful but they're clearly going to need a complete rework in terms of design as we enter the modern era.

Jim Ryan has done a tremendous job of turning PlayStation into a modern games company in a relatively short timeframe.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
You don't need to know your opponent won't show up in order to benefit from your opponent not showing up.

The XBox One was weak competition so PlayStation being mediocre for a generation meant it looked fantastic by comparison.

The PS4 did not position PlayStation with a ton of relevant games in the long term, outside of Spiderman. Horizon, God of War and Uncharted 4 were very successful but they're clearly going to need a complete rework in terms of design as we enter the modern era.

Jim Ryan has done a tremendous job of turning PlayStation into a modern games company in a relatively short timeframe.
And what tremendous job Jim Ryan did that all the previouses CEO didn't?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I guess the difference here is that I disagree with your opinion that PS4 was mediocre. I'll leave it at that.

Hugare

No i was getting PS5 for the idea of getting PS5 exclusive game like god of war, horizon, spiderman etc

It was their tagline remember? They made us think we can only get those game on playstation

If i know those game were coming to PC, i wont need to buy PS5 in the first place

This is not being stupid

This is about sony being disingenious and dishonest with their customer
Do you have a PC that costs over 1 thousand dollars and can wait + 4 years for some port of exclusive games?

Then sell your PS5, otherwise, stop bitching

You’re talking about the announcement, when it launches it’ll be around the two year mark, so that checks out.
It changes very little. The trajectory is evident and there is not a single valid reason not to release day one on pc and in fact they will do it as soon as they have found a way to better plan contemporary development. The only contraindication I see is the eliminating a possible bullet available to the console war

SLB1904

Banned
He will piss off a lot of fans doing something really stupid. I bet whatever you want. Again it's great pc player can play ps exclusives but it's a very dangerous move. It's not something we will see in the immediate, of course, but personally I would never did it at least not now with MS so aggressive in the live service.
Microsoft is releasing games date and date on PC. And nothing change for them.
People who wants pc already have one that won't change, at all.
People who always play on console will always play on console. I can guarantee you more people aren't aware of exclusives. They just see a billboard with PlayStation name attached to it. Thats what they buy.
He'll most people that are bitching in this thread will lose their shit as soon as they see spiderman 2, and the same trolls will keep the same song " as they are waiting to release on pc"

You night have a point if they release day and date on pc. But even then lol

Topher

Gold Member
It changes very little. The trajectory is evident and there is not a single valid reason not to release day one on pc and in fact they will do it as soon as they have found a way to better plan contemporary development. The only contraindication I see is the eliminating a possible bullet available to the console war

Giving preference to their own platform and ecosystem is a valid reason not to release day one on PC. I hope they get to day one releases on PC (along with trophy support), but I can certainly understand why they would want to favor their own platform first.

Swift_Star

Banned
Raising the MSRP doesn't make the games any more valuable to the end user. Creating uncertainty over availability gives people an actual reason to delay purchases for years and that does devalue the games in real terms.
Yeah, That’s not how this works. You don’t devalue your product by raising its price.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Microsoft is releasing games date and date on PC. And nothing change for them.
People who wants pc already have one that won't change, at all.
People who always play on console will always play on console. I can guarantee you more people aren't aware of exclusives. They just see a billboard with PlayStation name attached to it. Thats what they buy.
He'll most people that are bitching in this thread will lose their shit as soon as they see spiderman 2, and the same trolls will keep the same song " as they are waiting to release on pc"

You night have a point if they release day and date on pc. But even then lol
MS not need to sell console hardware. Sony have to. Again from a customer perspective is great play ps games on PC. But I'm not that sure it's a brilliant move for the future of next consoles not have no more exclusives to count.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
What people have to realize is the VAST majority of PS owners buy it to play Fifa, COD, GtA, Fortnite, etc. They aren’t on gaming forums. These people couldn’t give less of a shit if Spiderman comes to PC and that is who most of Sonys revenue come from.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i hope this PC porting shit makes people realize that you can't determine the worth of a console based on its exclusives, because ultimately those are temporary and will be able to be played on every platform in the future
I perfer Xbox because while they have less they focus more on the other stuff that makes their console worthwhile, like their gamepass services, cloud gaming, and emulation via devmode
sony outside of exclusives really only has their VR thing (which i hope it succeeds because it looks sick)

Top Bottom