• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan, Cyberpunk and other things he did get right.

Rate Jim Ryan's performance as CEO

• A

Votes: 27 11.2%
  • A-

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • B+

Votes: 31 12.8%
  • B

Votes: 23 9.5%
  • C

Votes: 36 14.9%
  • D

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • F

Votes: 86 35.5%

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am no fan of this man, but I was watching the new Cyberpunk Patch 1.2 analysis from DF and realized that Sony still hasn't put the game back on the PSN Store. The game seems to have improved with the latest patch so Sony might change their stance now, but frankly removing the game from the store was a pretty pro-consumer move. Even if it might have been done out of spite.

That got me thinking, what other things this guy has done that we dont give him credit for as we ask him to step down.
Let us look at his performance as CEO a bit more objectively and appreciate all the things he's done that have directly benefitted gamers everywhere.

All The Things Jim Ryan Got Right:

1) Removing Cyberpunk from the PSN Store

The End.

I got nothing else. Anyone else?

Stuart360

To be fair to the man, it took balls to remove Cyberpunk from sale.
I wonder if he regrest it now with how long its taking to fix the game on console. The newest patch is still far away from playable imo.

EDIT. It seems i was wrong, judging from the replies. There was ulterior motives for removing the game from sale.

Last edited:

Stuart360

cyberpunk should be put back there are many abysmal titles released on store compared to cyberpunk.
It got pulled because its almost unplayable on console, and riddled with bugs and crashes (and still is). He didnt pull the game becuase its not a very good game.

silent head

I am no fan of this man, but I was watching the new Cyberpunk Patch 1.2 analysis from DF and realized that Sony still hasn't put the game back on the PSN Store. The game seems to have improved with the latest patch so Sony might change their stance now, but frankly removing the game from the store was a pretty pro-consumer move. Even if it might have been done out of spite.

That got me thinking, what other things this guy has done that we dont give him credit for as we ask him to step down.
Let us look at his performance as CEO a bit more objectively and appreciate all the things he's done that have directly benefitted gamers everywhere.

The End.

PlayStation 5 Digital Edition

ps plus
ps plus collection
Final Fantasy XVI
PlayStation 5 has the best launch lineup

Hugare

First of all, it probably wasnt a Jim Ryan decision to take Cyberpunk out of the Store

And even if it was, it was "pro customer" by accident.

They removed because too many people were trying to reimburse it, causing a massive headache to the Customer Support at PSN. Not because the game was infested with bugs and crashes, but due to the high demand with reimbursement requests.

Did Sony remove Life of Black Tiger from PSN? Fallout 76? No Man's Sky at launch?

They dont care about how playable the game is, they only cared about having to reimburse so many people

OrionNebula

He did his role perfectly... as an xbox mole who infiltrated sony to rise up the ranks and destroy it from the inside once in control
loop laugh GIF

He is imo. But you will never get a clear answer on it as he doesnt want to upset the PS userbase, so it will be a game here, a game there. I still think by the end of this gen, all PS games will be coming to PC, possibly even day and date.
By that point, PS fanboys will be acclimatized to it.
R.I. PS if this does happen.

bitbydeath

He is imo. But you will never get a clear answer on it as he doesnt want to upset the PS userbase, so it will be a game here, a game there. I still think by the end of this gen, all PS games will be coming to PC, possibly even day and date.
By that point, PS fanboys will be acclimatized to it.
But will that come first or all Xbox games on PS come first. Going to be an interesting gen.

Stuart360

But will that come first or all Xbox games on PS come first. Going to be an interesting gen.
Def PS games on PC first. I cant see Xbox games coming to Playstation, unless Sony allows Gamepass on Playstation, and i really cant see that happening. Unless the lure of missing out on the Dooms, Elder Scrolls, Fallouts, etc is too much for Sony.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I think Jim Ryan will be the most iconic name you hear at the end of this gen.....The number of exclusives he will bring, the number of GOTY's he will bring to PS5, the amount of revenue he will churn, the number of consoles he will sell will be unprecedented.....I think this will be PS's strongest gen ever.....The games will do the talking as usual....

So far, everything Jim has done is on the path for a better PS system in the end...

Shutting down studios and storefronts that are no longer pulling so they can redirect money and staff to more lucrative franchises and profitable ventures....Continued partnerships with high scoring/popular From and Square games, (rumored Konami, Rockstar partnerships, in essence, high rollers). Expanding the reach of their current franchises to PC, continued massive investment with their first party studios, current and new IP's incoming. Having delivered the most in demand console I have ever seen since gaming and the most efficient and powerful piece of hardware I have seen at the $400 pricepoint.....I think if anything, I would like to see what Jim has done wrong because his console is in the most demand and is selling the most, he can't make enough.....Jim can't seem to get anything wrong from where I'm standing in the results and revenue front....His console also has the highest rated exclusives so far too and their top end studios have not even fired....This is what I'm seeing from Jim and it's destined for greatness and overwhelming success...

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Would love to hear reasoning behind giving this guy A. He is a corporate personality, who has not made very good corporate move beside riding on the success of PS4 which he inherited. Sony did have a good launch PS5 games, so there is that.

Last edited:

Nezzeroth

The game got removed from the store because Sony doesn't accept refunds and CDPR encouraged people to get them, not because it was buggy. It doesn't have anything to do with pro-consumerism, it's actually the opposite.

I haven't really liked any decision made by him, and while I think comparing him to Don Matrick is exaggerating, I don't think he's been making any good decisions for the platform.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I think Jim Ryan will be the most iconic name you hear at the end of this gen.....The number of exclusives he will bring, the number of GOTY's he will bring to PS5, the amount of revenue he will churn, the number of consoles he will sell will be unprecedented.....I think this will be PS's strongest gen ever.....The games will do the talking as usual....

So far, everything Jim has done is on the path for a better PS system in the end...

Shutting down studios and storefronts that are no longer pulling so they can redirect money and staff to more lucrative franchises and profitable ventures....Continued partnerships with high scoring/popular From and Square games, (rumored Konami, Rockstar partnerships, in essence, high rollers). Expanding the reach of their current franchises to PC, continued massive investment with their first party studios, current and new IP's incoming. Having delivered the most in demand console I have ever seen since gaming and the most efficient and powerful piece of hardware I have seen at the $400 pricepoint.....I think if anything, I would like to see what Jim has done wrong because his console is in the most demand and is selling the most, he can't make enough.....Jim can't seem to get anything wrong from where I'm standing in the results and revenue front....His console also has the highest rated exclusives so far too and their top end studios have not even fired....This is what I'm seeing from Jim and it's destined for greatness and overwhelming success...
Have you ever noticed how barely anyone replies to your posts?. Even the Sony fans see through your tiresome schtick. And thankfully the mods do too at last.

bitbydeath

Def PS games on PC first. I cant see Xbox games coming to Playstation, unless Sony allows Gamepass on Playstation, and i really cant see that happening. Unless the lure of missing out on the Dooms, Elder Scrolls, Fallouts, etc is too much for Sony.
I think it’s more likely, Sony may go full PC if they buy Epic Games though.

The End.

Lol, that's not even true. He didn't remove it because of the state of the game, he did it because they didn't to offer refunds, so it was actually one of the most anti consumer moves they could've made

bitbydeath

I hope not, as i really want to buy some of those PS games :messenger_beaming:. Besides how many billions would it cost to buy 'the home of Foirtnite'?, maybe even more than Bethesda?
Well they’d need a store incentive and they’ve already invested some money in Epic so it’s more likely than buying Steam.

MHubert

Hm let's see..
  • Strengtening first party studios by opting for future PC releases
  • Cutting away dysfunctional studio (Japan Studios)
  • Managing the release of the fastest selling console in history under a global pandemic
  • .... All while managing the biggest organizational restructure in the lifetime of Playstation.
  • It is him obligation, I do not see what is him achievement in doing the job.

Someone else would do the same job.
    So I guess Phil is somehow exempt from this so called obligation?

Last edited:
Hm let's see..
  • Strengtening first party studios by opting for future PC releases
  • Cutting away dysfunctional studio (Japan Studios)
  • Managing the release of the fastest selling console in history under a global pandemic

• So I guess Phil is somehow exempt from this so called obligation?
Is the other way around though. It's the fastest selling console because of the pandemic and it hasn't been managed adequately. People can't buy the damn thing 5 months later.

MHubert

Is the other way around though. It's the fastest selling console because of the pandemic and it hasn't been managed adequately. People can't buy the damn thing 5 months later.
I think you should be grateful that you are able to buy the console at all.

AGRacing

The End.

Removing the game from the digital store was about their ability and willingness to process refunds and nothing else. Their phone lines were crushed by the demand for refunds. They had to slap together an online refund request form because they don't typically do it. Their digital purchasing policy is garbage. A pre-order is a final purchase on PSN... which is ridiculous. They couldn't support the game properly so they removed it. It was the proper decision under these circumstances... but a lot of the circumstances are their fault to begin with.

driqe

I like the ps+ collection.

Cant credit him for any game launch unless that game took less than 2 years to make lol

Topher

Gold Member
Good:

• PS+ Collection
  • Successful PS5 Launch

Bad:

• Backtracking on "believing in generations" nonsense
  • Idiotic comments over the years such as downplaying backward compatibility and crossplay
  • Japan Studio fiasco.
  • Closing legacy stores while MS trumpets BC in his face
  • Allowing MLB The Show to turn into a laughing stock for PS

I don't know of anyone who has ever said "I hope one day Jim Ryan is running PlayStation". The man was gifted a job where he has a ton of fantastic studios in place so as long as he stays out of their way then PS will probably continue to thrive. But looking at the list of "bad" I see so many needless, self-inflicted mistakes. PlayStation deserves better than this.

Top Bottom