• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan, Cyberpunk and other things he did get right.

Rate Jim Ryan's performance as CEO

• A

Votes: 27 11.2%
  • A-

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • B+

Votes: 31 12.8%
  • B

Votes: 23 9.5%
  • C

Votes: 36 14.9%
  • D

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • F

Votes: 86 35.5%

• Total voters

[Sigma]

I can't think of anything he's done right now off the top of my head that I liked other than securing Insomniac, the PS+ collection and making sure they had at least an ok launch lineup(despite not playing any of them, it's better than the PS4's lineup lol i'm saying it now but overall it's obviously subjective). To me that's not good, I can name a bunch of stuff he's done that I don't like.

3liteDragon

He is imo. But you will never get a clear answer on it as he doesnt want to upset the PS userbase, so it will be a game here, a game there. I still think by the end of this gen, all PS games will be coming to PC, possibly even day and date.
This will never happen (but you never know with Jimbo) and I hope D&D never happens, there's no point in building custom hardware like that if their first-party studios are gonna be developing for multiple different platforms at the same time. I want their games to take full advantage of the PS5 hardware only and not be held back by having to develop for another platform at the same time. I'd be fine with them going to PC a few years later with another studio working on the port (if it's even possible), but as long as I know that the first-party studio that worked on the game designed it with only the PS5 hardware in mind, I wouldn't care if they get ported to PC later on. More people get to play & experience it which is a good thing, just not a fan of D&D, I just want the console hardware to be fully taken advantage of.

And regarding first-party PS4 titles coming to PC, so far Horizon (Decima), Death Stranding (Decima) and Days Gone (Unreal Engine 4) were games built on engines that already have built-in support for PC development. I don't doubt that more PS4 titles will come, but I think it's gonna take a little longer than people are expecting when we're talking about porting from custom engines.

Last edited:
This will never happen (but you never know with Jimbo) and I hope D&D never happens, there's no point in building custom hardware like that if their first-party studios are gonna be developing for multiple different platforms at the same time. I want their games to take full advantage of the PS5 hardware only and not be held back by having to develop for another platform at the same time. I'd be fine with them going to PC a few years later with another studio working on the port (if it's even possible), but as long as I know that the first-party studio that worked on the game designed it with only the PS5 hardware in mind, I wouldn't care if they get ported to PC later on. More people get to play & experience it which is a good thing, just not a fan of D&D.

And regarding first-party PS4 titles coming to PC, so far Horizon (Decima), Death Stranding (Decima) and Days Gone (Unreal Engine 4) were games built on engines that already have built-in support for PC. I don't doubt that more PS4 titles will come, but I think it's gonna take a little longer than people are expecting when we're talking about porting from custom engines.
I think it's pretty obvious their plan is to sell the majority of their games on PC, but they won't do it like xbox. They'll release them 2 to 3 years down the line. So either you wait or you buy a PS5.

ReBurn

Gold Member
cyberpunk should be put back there are many abysmal titles released on store compared to cyberpunk.
The publishers of those abysmal titles don't send people to Sony by the thousands looking for refunds. CDPR shouldn't have put the work on Sony to clean up their mess.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Removing Cyberpunk is the stupidest decision. As if Sony owners are children and can't make a decision for themselves. Game runs just fine on PS5.

The best decision is:
PC ports for HZD and Days Gone.

bbeach123

In my memories Cyberpunk is not the worst game if you think about all the cross gen game .

I think shadow of modor was like 1x fps on ps3 ? And dragon age inquistion

Bankai

His remark on older games really hit me in the gut: "...and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”
source: https://kotaku.com/sony-execs-slam-on-old-games-misses-the-appeal-of-the-c-1795825367

My first reation: :lollipop_worried:
Then: :lollipop_confounded:
And finally: :lollipop_grimacing: => :messenger_pouting:

What the hell man, why would you sh*t all over your own legacy??!

I just played Astrobot Playroom and it is such a marvelous homage to the history of all things Playstation. And then.. this remark by the HEAD of the company. It really conflicts.. the way he just tramples all things nostalgia and dismisses all the things WHICH LED TO SUCCESS

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I liked that he put some games out on PC.

I'm not really seeing any other obvious consumer facing decision making that couldn't have been done by any other corporate suit.

thelastword

Banned
I also think one of the best decisions Jim made was to remove Cyberpunk on the PSN store.....You have to set a standard, too many games have launched in mediocre states with no setback or penalties.....Some of these titles are even given 10/10 as some reviewers already decided it would be GOTY before release......If reviewers are not going to call bad coded games out, then it's time the platform holders set a standard for their store.....I think it was a good wakeup call to CDPR as to where most of their copies of Witcher 3 was sold on console, even having seen them give PS the worse version of the game on PS4 and doing a shoddier port of Witcher 3 to PRO only when the XBONEX debuted.....Sometimes you have to let the devs know, what they stand to lose with these attitudes...... I think the removal of Cyberpunk was just the last nail after a series of bad faith calls with CDPR and PS systems.....So Jim is standing for his platform and such cajones are great to see in the space...

I liked that he put some games out on PC.

I'm not really seeing any other obvious consumer facing decision making that couldn't have been done by any other corporate suit.
But that's you talking as a PC gamer. As a PS gamer that move doesn't benefits us at all.

And its threads like these I hope big Jim will stay and lead playstation for ever more and piss off sony fanboys. You have my energy big Jim, bring Bloodborne to gamepass.

Have you ever noticed how barely anyone replies to your posts?. Even the Sony fans see through your tiresome schtick. And thankfully the mods do too at last.
We are missing you in the Xbox OT, we are itching to stroke.... Ummm puff up😏 your ...ego.

The post you quoted told the absolute truth!

Last edited:
Nah. So they sell 110mil PS5's instread of 120mil, while also raking in hundreds of millions from game sales on PC.
Believe it or not, there are not tens of millions of PC gamers desperate for an excuse to buy a console.
Maybe in the near future, but in the distant future since Sony's primary income isn't Windows (it's PlayStation)? There wouldn't be a PlayStation anymore, there would be absolutely no incentive to buy a console, and those 120m PSx-number's in the future would be 0. They're killing their console business by migrating their games to PC, especially since they have to pay 30% to Steam and another percentage for other clients. What's the point, to turn those The Last of Us 2 20 million sales (analogy) into maybe 21-22 million sales? HZD sold 716,000 copies on Steam during its release MONTH, not day, with a 100 million+ concurrent user base.

If there aren't tens of millions of PC gamers desperately wanting a reason to buy a console, then Sony doesn't need to pander to them. The strategy is is if you want to play these PlayStation games then you need to buy into a console in order to play them. On the upside, porting the games still allows them to have that niche audience and exclusivity in some form, but there's no competition here, there's little to no gain, only an executive who wants to squeeze any amount of profit he can, no matter how small it is even though exclusives are what drive, say, NPD sales every single month. It's not sustainable for somebody who isn't Microsoft.

And who knows? I'm well aware that if they sell tens of millions of PC units for each of their "exclusive" games going forward and I'm wrong, then I don't lose anything and more people get to play the games. It'd be a win for everybody but for me right now I simply am not a fan of it.

Dabaus

Banned
I’d say c- overall. I mean the Ps5 DID launch in 2020 and had a few good exclusives to boot, incompetent leadership could’ve prevented that. With that said the radio silence and seeming refusal to acknowledge trends in gaming such as backwards compatibility and consolidation of IP ownership is baffling to me.

With all that said burning the bridge with one of the few independent western RPG development houses seems asinine, especially when you consider your biggest competitor has almost a monopoly of the genre. Genuinely baffling and short sighted IMO.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Personally, I'm pretty happy. PS5 is off to a flying start, PS4 is still getting solid support, just got given a bunch of free games on to play during lockdown in addition to the continuing high quality stuff on Plus.

So a a couple of older titles are going to PC? Great, now more people will get a chance to play them and it should boost sales for the inevitable sequels. At the end of the day they are always going to be PS franchises so nothing is lost.

The shutdown of the old stores is another nothingburger. The reaction to it reminds me of the hullabaloo over them removing OtherOS support. A thing that literally noone gave a toss about suddenly becomes crucial when it presents an opportunity to whinge. And do not bother with the whole bullshit "preservation" angle, I see right through it.

So what's left... hmmm, the MLB thing? Do not care. If MLB want to kill their golden goose, fine. Nothing of value was lost.
Oh yeah, the original sin that he dismissed people wanting to play ancient iterations of GT... well guess what, he was right.

Why the fuck would any normal person want to drive inferior versions of the same tracks and cars? Its not fucking Mario where there's been growth and transformation over the years. Its a driving sim for Christ sake! Surely fidelity matters for that target audience or am I missing something?

Gold_Loot

First of all, it probably wasnt a Jim Ryan decision to take Cyberpunk out of the Store

And even if it was, it was "pro customer" by accident.

They removed because too many people were trying to reimburse it, causing a massive headache to the Customer Support at PSN. Not because the game was infested with bugs and crashes, but due to the high demand with reimbursement requests.

Did Sony remove Life of Black Tiger from PSN? Fallout 76? No Man's Sky at launch?

They dont care about how playable the game is, they only cared about having to reimburse so many people
Honest question, did those games hard crash PS4’s?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
While I agree Jim Ryan is a shitheel, I don’t think removing cyberpunk from sale was his doing; it was a request from CDPR for refunds that was honored ON A CONDITION that the game would be removed from sale from the digital storefronts. Otherwise they would’ve had to break their no refund policy in the future whenever someone bought the game digitally, or face liabilities.

The optics Ryan has created have indeed been very poor - deceptively parsed corporate language about generations/exclusives, shutting down studios that feel like the heart and soul of the brand, $70 price points. It’s been very “lol” so far.

Banned
I am no fan of this man, but I was watching the new Cyberpunk Patch 1.2 analysis from DF and realized that Sony still hasn't put the game back on the PSN Store. The game seems to have improved with the latest patch so Sony might change their stance now, but frankly removing the game from the store was a pretty pro-consumer move. Even if it might have been done out of spite.

That got me thinking, what other things this guy has done that we dont give him credit for as we ask him to step down.
Let us look at his performance as CEO a bit more objectively and appreciate all the things he's done that have directly benefitted gamers everywhere.

All The Things Jim Ryan Got Right:

1) Removing Cyberpunk from the PSN Store

The End.

I got nothing else. Anyone else?

they only removed Cyberpunk from the PSN store because they have no working mechanism for refunds. other games that are way more broken are still on there but they do not get bought and refund requests at such a high rate, so they stay in.
meaning, I have to sadly take off the first item on your list :messenger_tears_of_joy:

as the only reason Cyberpunk is not on PSN anymore is because their refund policy and system sucks ass lol. The fact that it is still available on other digital stores just is a marker on which stores have good policies and systems in place :nougat_rofl:

Last edited:
That’s... not how certification works.
If the game is sooooooo bad that it crashes constantly and they have to literally remove it from the store, that shouldn't have passed certification.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Is this the point where we talk like pro business analysts with experience running a billion dollar industry because we've been playing videogames for 20 years?

D-minus! Jim Ryan is a hack fraud! Get that guy outta here!

tenor.gif

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I am no fan of this man, but I was watching the new Cyberpunk Patch 1.2 analysis from DF and realized that Sony still hasn't put the game back on the PSN Store. The game seems to have improved with the latest patch so Sony might change their stance now, but frankly removing the game from the store was a pretty pro-consumer move. Even if it might have been done out of spite.

That got me thinking, what other things this guy has done that we dont give him credit for as we ask him to step down.
Let us look at his performance as CEO a bit more objectively and appreciate all the things he's done that have directly benefitted gamers everywhere.

All The Things Jim Ryan Got Right:

1) Removing Cyberpunk from the PSN Store

The End.

I got nothing else. Anyone else?
Still no PS5 version of CP2077 so no it shouldn't be put back.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Putting games on PC. I don't really care about Sony's first party software, but if I did it would be silly to have to buy their box when I have a much more powerful box.

Zeroing

Banned
Can't we change the rating system to 0 - 10?

So, 5/10, the game has several frame rate issues, the narrative is sometimes incoherent. Gameplay wise, a let down from the past interactions.
I only recommend
the game if you are truly a fan of the genre.

*the reviewer contacted Sony for further clarification on future patches but with no response .

Last edited:

Hugare

Honest question, did those games hard crash PS4’s?
I've experienced a lot of crashes with Fallout 4. And it was never taken out of the store.

From what people say, F76 was even worse than F4, so I cant even begin to imagine how it was at launch

My point is: Sony did it for other reasons, period.

CDPR promissed to reimburse clients, so they forced Sony's hand. So Sony said "ok, we will reimburse them, but we will be taking the game out of the Store"

If CDPR remained silent, Sony would probably dont give a damn

Last edited:
Good:

• PS+ Collection
  • Successful PS5 Launch

Bad:

• Backtracking on "believing in generations" nonsense
  • Idiotic comments over the years such as downplaying backward compatibility and crossplay
  • Japan Studio fiasco.
  • Closing legacy stores while MS trumpets BC in his face
  • Allowing MLB The Show to turn into a laughing stock for PS

I don't know of anyone who has ever said "I hope one day Jim Ryan is running PlayStation". The man was gifted a job where he has a ton of fantastic studios in place so as long as he stays out of their way then PS will probably continue to thrive. But looking at the list of "bad" I see so many needless, self-inflicted mistakes. PlayStation deserves better than this.
To think Shawn Layden quit because of a power struggle with Ryan just makes it worse.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Look Gordon's Ramsey's cousin is not so likable like the previous CEO's, but so far I don't have that much of a grudge against the guy.

PS5 is a solid system, actually more solid than I was hoping. It should had been better managed in its release worldwide, that's a fact.

The catalogue is good so far and I can't complain about new games, specially because I still have some last gen AAA games to play, which play even better on the PS5.

I was upset with Sony closing Japan studio but relocating them under Team Asobi's umbrella isnt bad at all. Love that team, they're so freaking talented.

Cyberpunk was a good call. I played the game in PC and is a fucking waste.

So overall, solid B+ to good old Jim.

Mabdia

I used to like the guy. But them he killed all the good will that I used to have towards him.

Also, that Guerrila's guy that is now head of WWS. The soon both of them go away, the better to me.

He's doing a pretty bang up job for MS and Nintendo maybe. Not so much for Sony.

The people who pretend Sony removed CP2077 for pro-consumer reasons is pretty pathetic though. When your playerbase largely consists of people who refuse to even acknowledge mistakes... That playerbase deserves whatever crap product they eventually end up with.

Top Bottom