• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling shares his issues with the Xbox One (The Jimquisition)

AlexxKidd

— Everyone knows the Xbox One is a bit rubbish. Deep down, we all know it, and it's because Microsoft thinks too much like a publisher.

— Every Xbox exclusive is also available on Windows, significantly reducing the value of the Xbox one. Nothing the system has can claim to be unique to the system. Anything coming to the Xbox One is something you can pick up elsewhere. Good for Microsoft, considering it's all tied to windows, but bad for the Xbox One itself.

He used a much harsher title for his video. Is he making any points, or do you believe it's all click-bait?

Calibos

-We all know he is a bit rubbish. Deep down, we all know it, and it's because he thinks too much like a contrarian ass hole.

-There are a hundred other people available to regurgitate these opinions so his value is diminished greatly. Nothing he does is unique in any way.

When will the age of the contrarian, hateful youtuber be at an end?

Trogdor1123

I will watch the video but from what you posted I don't agree. Xbox and windows are a long game, anyone can see that.

Skyn3t

Banned
The vanilla one wasn't a blast, but the X is. I'm saying that as a fan since the original Xbox. Phenomenal piece of hardware.

Sure, they're still lacking exclusives in comparison with Sony, but some of the franchises they have are relevant for more than decade, delivering constant high quality games like Halo, Gears and Forza Motorsport. Oh and a little racing game called Forza Horizon, which is the best racer in the video game history. Period. Glad they acquired some new studios thinking about putting a real fight in the next generation.

As for Jim Sterling and all those gaming YouTubers, I don't see any real value in their work apart of chasing controversy, views and Patreon money by trying to stir the pot as much as they can.

Last edited:

Skyn3t

Banned
Nah, good luck with playing Sunset Overdrive on PC. Such a brilliant, massively underrated game. Pure console-esqe fun reminding me of the best times I had with Dreamcast.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I mean the awful UI and lack of exclusives are the reasons I don't own one so he's not completely off base. The BC is awesome though so it's a bit telling that he ignores it completely. Id probably still buy an xbone X over a switch at this juncture if I had to choose.

Chiggs

Gold Member
As for Jim Sterling and all those gaming YouTubers, I don't see any real value in their work apart of chasing controversy, views and Patreon money by trying to stir the pot as much as they can.

Further proof that the poor quality of video game journalism is not limited to bigger outlets. When I stumble upon one of these videos and see how poor they usually are, my first question is: are their subscribers this bored, this shallow, and this self-loathing to consistently support these people?

YouTube is a wasteland.

Skyn3t

Banned
Check out CleanPrinceGaming. Dude is posing to be a pro-consumer smartass generating clickbait videos on the current subjects. And those titles like "Destiny wasn't killed, IT WAS MURDERED".

ILLtown

MS just can't seem to get all of the pieces in place with their console business.

I think they're stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to exclusives. If they make true exclusives for the Xbox One, they'll get criticised by PC gamers because they're ignoring them, and if they make games for Windows and Xbox, they have no true exclusives and so the "why should I buy an Xbox?" argument has some validity.

I don't think they're doing a great job with their current strategy though. Even if you look at "Microsoft exclusives" versus PS4 ones, things still don't look that great for MS, and the Windows Store is still something that PC gamers largely seem to want to ignore in favour of Steam.

I don't think the dashboard is terrible. It's functional and the console is packed full of features, but my main gripes are with polish/performance and reliability. It just doesn't feel fast and slick in use, and I often have issues with basic features not working properly. For example, sometimes when someone sends me a message, a notification doesn't pop, and sometimes my friends list shows out of date info, so it might say that a person is online playing Overwatch, but when I click to view their full profile it'll say they were last seen 10 minutes ago - stuff like that. There's no major deal-breaker issues, but there's a bunch of small things, some of which seem to come and go at random, and doing factory resets and any other troubleshooting steps makes absolutely no difference. I've owned the console since day one and it's always been like that.

They're doing a lot of stuff right though. The hardware (particularly the One X). The Elite controller. Game Pass. EA Access. Play Anywhere. Supporting cross-platform play. Also, people really need to knock the "Xbox One has no games!" shit on the head. I have 573 games installed on mine and the 8TB hard drive I thought would give me ample room is starting to look too small, but they are certainly not up there with Sony when it comes to quantity and quality of exclusives, even if you count "exclusive" as PC and Xbox combined.

Hateful is one thing, but he's not much of a contrarian in this case.

Even casual gamers can see that owning a PS4 and/or PC makes the Xbox One a hard sell.
I wouldn't consider gamers that own both a ps4 and a gaming pc casual gamers. With absolutely no numbers to back anything up, I still believe that MS putting xbox games on pc is more beneficial than detrimental.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Can't stand the man, but he's probably correct (no intention of watching the video).

We tend to over complicate these things; the X1 simply doesn't have enough great games. It's got an excellent back catalogue etc, but in terms of this gen, it's not good enough.

Thiagosc777

Who cares if games are on the PC? Who prefers consoles plays on Xbox, who prefers the PC plays them there. No one is losing anything.

The 'don't need an Xbox because the games are on PC' thing is so dumb.

There are approx 200 million people who might buy a console. Out of those, just how many do you think own gaming PC's. Not any old PC, something than can run the latest AAA games at a decent clip.

I don't know the numbers but I would bet my life it's less than 20%. If you are one of those then big deal, just but the game on PC and get on with it. That aspect will have minimal effect on the Xbox console sales.

Last edited:

Ogbert

In terms of software, I've always felt that the significant misstep MS made was with Destiny. That game has no business being on a Sony Console. It's Bungie - it should be exclusive to MS.

Obviously, that's a woefully naïve opinion, as I have no ideas what the financials would have been around making that game exclusive. That said, it feels like the sort of title which, like it or hate it, would have provided the foundation for MS' game platform.

Thiagosc777

The 'don't need an Xbox because the games are on PC' thing is so dumb.

There are approx 200 million people who might buy a console. Out of those, just how many do you think own gaming PC's. Not any old PC, something than can run the latest AAA games at a decent clip.

I don't know the numbers but I would bet my life it's less than 20%. If you are one of those then big deal, just but the game on PC and get on with it. That aspect will have minimal effect on the Xbox console sales.

Remember how after "Play Anywhere" became a thing, some people said "everyone will just play on the PC"?

I don't have a link, but I remember reading some time after Forza Horizon 3 released that 90% of the players were on Xbox. At launch Gears 4 didn't have cross play with the PC and the multiplayer there was a wasteland. Players complained they couldn't find matches because the community was in its majority on Xbox.

Your guess is right, the vast majority plays on consoles, between 80 and 90%.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The PC/Xbox exclusive argument is extremely archaic at this point and is such a weak argument considering Microsoft owns both if the "devices" people compare.

Microsoft gets the money either way, and the people complaining that the games are also on PC usually never had any interest in the platform to begin with.

Find a new argument.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Nah, good luck with playing Sunset Overdrive on PC. Such a brilliant, massively underrated game. Pure console-esqe fun reminding me of the best times I had with Dreamcast.
That's your whole argument? One overrated game that came out four years ago?

As for Jim, his point is a bit shit when you realize that exclusives are not the main sell anymore.

Last edited:

Mochilador

The PC/Xbox exclusive argument is extremely archaic at this point and is such a weak argument considering Microsoft owns both if the "devices" people compare.

Microsoft gets the money either way, and the people complaining that the games are also on PC usually never had any interest in the platform to begin with.

Find a new argument.
And Play Anywhere is awesome. Serious, I can't understand how some people consider it negative.
The platform is amazing. BC, EA Access, Game Pass, PA.

Last edited:

Find a new argument.
Though to play Devil's Advocate, Microsoft does not get money if people buy multiplats on Steam, GOG, or other non-Microsoft platforms. The majority of Cuphead's sales, for instance, come from Steam and then we also have to take its sales from GOG into account. Microsoft gets no revenue from a Steam or GOG sale since they don't own those platforms.

Wow, im impressed that it took him this long to bitch about a Microsoft product again. Yeah, there are games on both Xbox and PC, but I felt just fine buying the Xbox one S and then later upgrading to the X.

Like another user posted, im hoping for the days of these angry, whiny YouTubers to come to an end.

He's right. Since the beginning, the only thing that truly matters for a video game console is the games (only when they are evenly matched in the game department do specs and graphics and gimmicks come into play), and that is precisely the point where Xbox falls short. There is nothing wrong with the console itself, Xbox One X is cool, and it does have excellent games, but none of them make the platform stand apart from the competition, like Jim says (and of course, there are a few exceptions, such as Sunset Overdrive, Halo and Forza). That is the precise reason why I don't have one, and if there ever was any small desire to get one it vanished when they announced their Play Anywhere program. If I can get them on PC, why even bother with the console? Granted, it seems that they are very aware of the issue and are trying to turn the ship around as seen on their latest E3 press conference, so I will be looking forward to some of that. I will also admit that Backwards Compatibility is a very nice feature, and something I wish the other two would emulate, however I do not consider it to be a system seller thing.

In terms of software, I've always felt that the significant misstep MS made was with Destiny. That game has no business being on a Sony Console. It's Bungie - it should be exclusive to MS.

Obviously, that's a woefully naïve opinion, as I have no ideas what the financials would have been around making that game exclusive. That said, it feels like the sort of title which, like it or hate it, would have provided the foundation for MS' game platform.
Agree for the most part, but I believe Bungie wanted to move on from both Halo and Microsoft. So Microsfot let Bungie go. But yeah, if Microsoft could have kept Bungie and didn't, that's a major oops on their part.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Spot on with many of the complaints. The OS is just strange and at time really bad. Some layers are apps, some are the base OS, the distinction is not clear. I noticed when you hit B in Mixer it brings up a exit yes/no dialog but the focus in not in that dialog, but in the background.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Wha..? Bungie bought themselves away from MS, that's how much they wanted to run away from and not being stuck churning out Halo after Halo, like Turn 10 is for Forza.

But... https://www.grac.or.kr/Statistics/P...2fd9a838cae45a6c813a6a053e8e5ec12581d53453bb0

It's coming, it's already been rated by the korean rating boards. The only question now is: when?

An announcement at GamesCom seems highly likely.

If you own a PC, there is absolutely no reason to buy an XO over a PS4 and even the Switch (which has more exclusives than the XO from a PC perspective), because the PC gets everything the XO gets.... unless you really, really want the MCC (there is a chance that this will end up on PC as well), older Forza games and the 4K BD player.

BANGS

Banned
I agree with pretty much all of Jim's points, but he's being a little harsh, not taking into account that the One X is a pretty decent console for those that don't want to game on PC for some reason...

Also the fans have to stop damage controlling the lack of exclusives like they don't matter. You're doing more harm than good...

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
The fact that you can play its games on PC isn't the problem IMO, it's the fact that the games themselves kinda suck. Gears 4 comes up every time someone mentions getting an xbox, and it's trash. State of Decay 2 is not good, PUBG is an awful version, Halo 5 didn't recapture the magic of the earlier entries of the series, ect.

I guess if you like Forza, then the xbox has an identity for you, but for everyone else, it's a complete afterthought. I don't know how MS messed up this gen so badly. They just can't even create new iterations of an already successful series let alone create new IP that resonates with people.

Last edited:
Though to play Devil's Advocate, Microsoft does not get money if people buy multiplats on Steam, GOG, or other non-Microsoft platforms. The majority of Cuphead's sales, for instance, come from Steam and then we also have to take its sales from GOG into account. Microsoft gets no revenue from a Steam or GOG sale since they don't own those platforms.
wouldn't they still get revenue though? Just that valve would take some of the revenue. Gog though, I am not really sure.

Ogbert

Wha..? Bungie bought themselves away from MS, that's how much they wanted to run away from and not being stuck churning out Halo after Halo, like Turn 10 is for Forza.

No sure, agree. They didn’t want to be a Halo House. But MS maybe could have handled it better. It’s basically like Sony allowing Naughty Dog to leave the fold (ownership aside, of course).

The point I’m making is that Bungie feels like part of MS’ dna. And MS hasn’t replaced it.

All Xbox games will be Play Anywhere. So, if that is your "problem" then nothing is going to change.

I guess I didn't write it down, even though I did think about it. These are mostly issues for me, because I have a PC. For those that don't have a PC, this isn't really a problem. Regardless of Play Anywhere, Microsoft investing in many first party studios is good for everyone if we get amazing games, even if they are available on PC, and that is what I am looking forward to.

Xbox One had a vision that didn't resonate with consumers.
For some reason Microsoft took from that, that consumers are somehow mostly about technical specs.
So they released the X1X which is the most powerful console on paper, but its still outclassed visually by Sony exclusives, so it can't really capitalize on the power advantage.

I don't think the XB1 or XB1X are shit. They are solid console, but without anything unique that would make many people chose an Xbox over a PC, a Switch or a Playstation.
PC has unique types of games, a unique platform and practically limitless horsepower.
Nintendo has unique exclusives and a nice hybrid between console and handheld.
Sony has unique exclusives pushing technical boundaries, while still managing to be more than just visual showcases.
And Xbox? Exclusives haven't really started to work out too well for them. Besides PC and Ps4, its kind of a redundant platform.

But I think Microsoft will attempt to change that next gen.

The idea that everything will be available on PC with better performance and scale just makes xbox that much nonexclusive compared to the competition. I see no value in owning xbox whatsoever.

Dabaus

Banned
He's not wrong but heres the thing: MS or Phil Spencer at least, hears the "no games outcry." So next gen all of your favorite franchises will be money hatted to be Xbox timed exclusives or exclusive content. I would Expect a prominent Japanese developer to hop on board and when the game inevitably under performs closes shop. I expect cyber punk to go full blown next gen xbox exclusive (ps4 and pc still come out of course). Careful what you ask for.

Panda1

Banned
Every Xbox exclusive is also available on Windows, significantly reducing the value of the Xbox one.

This makes an even better deal - can play the games on more devices - I can use any pc in the world to play Xbox games - how the hell is this bad?

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Further proof that the poor quality of video game journalism is not limited to bigger outlets. When I stumble upon one of these videos and see how poor they usually are, my first question is: are their subscribers this bored, this shallow, and this self-loathing to consistently support these people?

YouTube is a wasteland.
I laugh every time I see the words “games” and “journalism” together

Last edited:

Skyn3t

Banned
That's your whole argument? One overrated game that came out four years ago?

As for Jim, his point is a bit shit when you realize that exclusives are not the main sell anymore.

Ok, let's talk Halo 5 then of Forza Horizon 2 then. At the time they were true systemsellers.

Dabaus

Banned
Did you see those Witcher 3 sales figures? In 2015 W3 sold 48% on PS4, 31% on PC and 20% on One. 42%/43%/14% for 2016. And 35%/50%/15% for 2017. Unless CDPR is completely insane, that will not happen.

Ive seen the sales split and fully understand your point. But I think MS are desperate enough to pull such a stunt. I don't want it to happen, im just saying hold on to your butts because next gen will be ugly.

This is the problem I have with the Xbox One....

Everyone from the community to gaming media trying to constantly convince me that it sucks. If people aren't on the payroll of someone else they're definitely cuckolded and admonish free thinking or peoples wants for something different.

No one should post this tripe.

Thiagosc777

PC has unique types of games, a unique platform and practically limitless horsepower.

And limitless headaches. I switched to Xbox from PC many years ago because I just want to play games and not spend hours tweaking configurations / installing mods in order to make games run properly. Watch Mandalore Gaming Dead Space review and tell me if that's a reasonable way of experiencing games.

PC and consoles have two different audiences altogether. PCs are for hardware enthusiasts, people who like to test things out. Consoles are for people who just want to play games. Hardware enthusiasts will never play games on consoles, and console gamers won't ever want to bother with PC specs.

Top Bottom