• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling's hilarious review of Crackdown 3

Grinchy

Banned
Can't stand Jim, but everything he says in this video is spot-on. It's probably one of the best summaries of the game yet.

ph33rknot

Banned

latest

Crackdown 3 has better graphics and resolutions but...

crackdown-3-4k-screenshots-2.jpg
the mobile version or the original ps2 version

Gamernyc78

Banned
Listen, ppl shouldn't be pissed at anyone but Microsoft this game is trash. Ppl take their gaming loyalties too far. Even as a Sony fan (although I have all consoles) when SFV came out feeling like half a game I Said fuck Sony and Capcom.

Like I laugh at the ppl that are seriously upset this game is getting dogged after the hyperbolic hype and bs ass demos? There's literally a YouTube video comparing what the devs said it would be and what we got, the difference is disgusting. Alien Clonial marines disgusting. Get mad at Microsoft churning out majority disappointing games, not at the consumers who want better. There can be trolls and fanboys but now there's a conspiracy against Microsoft and its games? when last Gen Microsoft was the darlings of reviewers, gtfo with tht nonsense. Ask for better!!!

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Did you say that about all the similar Zelda Botw threads? I am just curious.

What? I wasn´t even registered on GAF when BotW dropped. And yes, I would have said the same thing, dozens upon dozens of threads were people basically says the same thing, whether it´s good or bad, is annoying.

DanielsM

Banned
Question, is this the time of year that Phil says, "they need to double down on game development"?

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
What? I wasn´t even registered on GAF when BotW dropped. And yes, I would have said the same thing, dozens upon dozens of threads were people basically says the same thing, whether it´s good or bad, is annoying.

Fair enough but it's common to see multiple threads about similar things. Usually even Angry Joe gets his own thread (don't know why).

ph33rknot

Banned
I don't think it makes that all difference...

This one is PS2 that makes me things the others the first two I posted are PS2 and the third one iOS?? I don't know.

images
I normally can't see 30 vs 60 or the difference between the pro and the X lol but you're blind

Fbh

I'm not saying the format is anti MS, just the content. But your kidding yourself if you think he doesn't have a bias against them and for Sony.

Except you did:

"This is just another one of Jim's zero effort lazy diatribes that he usually saves for MS exclusives. It's basically him showing footage while he spews his random thoughts, a shotgun blast of loose assertions that really fail to clearly define the game. "

You are describing his jimpression videos and then saying it's the stuff he "usually saves for MS exclusives". You are literally saying this type of video is the stuff he saves for MS exclusive which is simply not true .

So I guess I'm kidding myself because while Jim has his own taste which might be more aligned with the sort of games you find on PC and Ps4 I don't think he has bias against Microsoft.

It's not his fault most recent big Microsoft exclusives have sucked and he is definitely not the only one saying it. Just look at metacritic or open critic: State of Deacy 2 66 critics 54 users, Crackdown 3 60 critics 42 users, Sea of Thieves 66 critics 41 users.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Jim is funny here.....I think MS needs new ideas and IP's, stop rehashing the same thing......Even the game studios they bought recently, they will end up just using them for the same thing.....So are we going to get SOD3, We happy few 2 etc...What's next for RARE, is it SOT2? Playground is making a new Fable, is it really something the market is pining for? Molyneux could not attain his lofty goals or execute on his pitch with that franchise...What will differentiate this new Fable from the rest...The funny thing is, I know what's coming for the PS4 this year, there's frankly lots of exclusives coming there, but I have no idea what MS has to offer after Crackdown 3 for this year....Was CD3 their last hurray?

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I found the city looks on the same level than old-gen GTA cities.

In fact Sand Andreas is more detailed than Crackdown 3's city.
You try waaaaaaaay too hard breh....

You know this is some next level bullshit you posted. Congrats for breaking new ground. Didnt think that was possible.

This is just another one of Jim's zero effort lazy diatribes that he usually saves for MS exclusives. It's not well done, clever or funny. It's basically him showing footage while he spews his random thoughts, a shotgun blast of loose assertions that really fail to clearly define the game. But I care enough to take the time to explain my issue with two points.

1. "The game is such a confusing nightmare to try and navigate" WTF? Moving and navigation is a develop-able skill not only with leveling but also handling the controls as a player. It's fucking rewarding as hell and fun to bound around from location to location. Shame Jim can't be bothered to get gud.

2. The game is dated. This seems to be the cornerstone of most of the arguments leveled at the game. I would say the same criticisms were leveled at CD1, the graphics were dated even then. I felt that way as well but ended up loving the game. So now seeing these complaints leveled again ad nauseum in just this video alone it's a bit shit. The so called dated aspect is the game's main appeal. I didn't see him questioning the lack of story or cut scenes in the Mario game as he was wanking over it. Yet here he is leveling it as a serious complaint when those things are not in line with what the game is trying to do. Also what does he mean by not being modern enough? Lack of bloated tasks lists and tacked on RPG leveling? Maybe they should have included microtransactions or in game currency? Or, make the graphics more real so they need to scale back the amount of enemies or draw distance you have.

It's just pain fucking weird to see the gaming media who drools over so many things retro try to sink a game for not being "new" enough.

khaledthink

the salt from this guy
jordanlaff

Xenon

Except you did:

"This is just another one of Jim's zero effort lazy diatribes that he usually saves for MS exclusives. It's basically him showing footage while he spews his random thoughts, a shotgun blast of loose assertions that really fail to clearly define the game. "

You are describing his jimpression videos and then saying it's the stuff he "usually saves for MS exclusives". You are literally saying this type of video is the stuff he saves for MS exclusive which is simply not true .

So I guess I'm kidding myself because while Jim has his own taste which might be more aligned with the sort of games you find on PC and Ps4 I don't think he has bias against Microsoft.

It's not his fault most recent big Microsoft exclusives have sucked and he is definitely not the only one saying it. Just look at metacritic or open critic: State of Deacy 2 66 critics 54 users, Crackdown 3 60 critics 42 users, Sea of Thieves 66 critics 41 users.

I am going to disagree. With other Jimpressions he seems at least interested in talking about the game even the bad ones like Detroit. Here he's just rattling off shit off completely bored. But you could be right and Im seeing something that isn't there.

But dude has always given Sony a pass, even when he was Destructoid when he defended a review on Gran Turismo 6 PS3 which completely ignored the pay to win aspects of the game. Something he is supposedly against. Then you have this video, which rails on MS for Micro transactions and just mentions GT's egregious pricing in passing once, ignoring the fact that the game charges hundreds of dollars for cars. Also it ignores the micro transactions of Killzone Shadowfall. Sorry but the dude is slanted in his coverage.

I am going to disagree. With other Jimpressions he seems at least interested in talking about the game even the bad ones like Detroit. Here he's just rattling off shit off completely bored. But you could be right and Im seeing something that isn't there.

But dude has always given Sony a pass, even when he was Destructoid when he defended a review on Gran Turismo 6 PS3 which completely ignored the pay to win aspects of the game. Something he is supposedly against. Then you have this video, which rails on MS for Micro transactions and just mentions GT's egregious pricing in passing once, ignoring the fact that the game charges hundreds of dollars for cars. Also it ignores the micro transactions of Killzone Shadowfall. Sorry but the dude is slanted in his coverage.

images

Gamernyc78

Banned
I see the defense force for Sea of Thieves, Recore and so forth have united once again. Different game same narrative. But omg the tune is the same, almost verbatim lol Yup it sure is the biased media (meanwhile last Gen the media was the greatest for Xbox) and fanboys out to get big, bad, awesome game producing Microsoft.

OK, OK Crackdown 3 is awesome and there was no huge, conspicuous downgrade.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
It's interesting that people are deciding that this was a bad idea on Microsoft's part. If the game hadn't gone through development hell and had turned out to be stellar you'd be saying just the opposite, or more likely not saying anything at all.

Maybe they should have pulled the plug entirely at some point and/or given it to a better studio, but a Crackdown 3 wasn't an inherently bad idea.

Jim is funny here.....I think MS needs new ideas and IP's, stop rehashing the same thing......Even the game studios they bought recently, they will end up just using them for the same thing.....So are we going to get SOD3, We happy few 2 etc...What's next for RARE, is it SOT2? Playground is making a new Fable, is it really something the market is pining for? Molyneux could not attain his lofty goals or execute on his pitch with that franchise...What will differentiate this new Fable from the rest...The funny thing is, I know what's coming for the PS4 this year, there's frankly lots of exclusives coming there, but I have no idea what MS has to offer after Crackdown 3 for this year....Was CD3 their last hurray?
It's funny that you act like you don't know that Gears 5 and Ori are coming this year.

Xenon

Listen, ppl shouldn't be pissed at anyone but Microsoft this game is trash. Ppl take their gaming loyalties too far. Even as a Sony fan (although I have all consoles) when SFV came out feeling like half a game I Said fuck Sony and Capcom.

Like I laugh at the ppl that are seriously upset this game is getting dogged after the hyperbolic hype and bs ass demos? There's literally a YouTube video comparing what the devs said it would be and what we got, the difference is disgusting. Alien Clonial marines disgusting. Get mad at Microsoft churning out majority disappointing games, not at the consumers who want better. There can be trolls and fanboys but now there's a conspiracy against Microsoft and its games? when last Gen Microsoft was the darlings of reviewers, gtfo with tht nonsense. Ask for better!!!

I'm just so grateful for all the Sony fans who keep coming into Microsoft threads to tell us how bad the games we enjoy are. The only thing that's trash here is the idea that somebody can have such a strong opinion over a game they've never played.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I'm just so grateful for all the Sony fans who keep coming into Microsoft threads to tell us how bad the games we enjoy are. The only thing that's trash here is the idea that somebody can have such a strong opinion over a game they've never played.

Yeah of course like the Microsoft fanboys tht said previous to the reviews dropping that the negative previews were all based on ppl who never played the game/test, once the reviews bashed the game
it became "oops now the professional reviewers are biased" the bs gymnastics and goal posting never ends. You know this, cut it out lol

Gavon West

Right????

NOTE: Normally if someone thinks a game is bad, they just do. It's not something you have to go "somewhere" else to let other people know that you think the game is bad. It is what it is and you move on with whatever you're playing. You inherently have no desire to even bother because you feel pretty confident in your decision.

You ever notice how Sony fans feel the need to come into Xbox threads and tell us how shitty an Xbox game is, even if they arent interested in it? Even if they have no interest in playing....like, ever? They've got the illustrious PS4 and it's monster titles (that's not a jab. Being genuine) with some of the highest rated games this generation. And still.....

My opinion is because of a couple of things: 1) Sony's games are usually play once and move on. So there isnt much else to do - which would prove true that Xbox games typically last longer because of the MP component. 2) They legitimately have some weird fear of Xbox games.

I'm not saying any of this is facts (though Im sure this post will get a few troll responses) but, I genuinely cant see another reason why its that way. It's childish and petty, AF. It's just a damn video game.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

This is an Xbox thread?

I thought it was a thread of Jim Sterling discussing Crackdown 3? The game is no doubt received a lot of attention because it was an andipcated title, but this is no different than what was discuss when Jim posted a video like Fallout 76. People had a feeling he was going to think it was not a good game, but they still want to see what he has to say about the game.

PlayStation fans are going to obviously talk about the game because this was thrown in the faces by Xbox fans years ago when DirectX12 and The Cloud were hyped from 2015 to 2016.

It's crazy to see the amount of Xbox fans complain about Sony fans entering these threads when they support pro Xbox YouTube channels that are geared to putting the PlayStation 4 brand down. That's how they built their YouTube community, but many people on here support them anyways.

This is an Xbox thread?

I thought it was a thread of Jim Sterling discussing Crackdown 3? The game is no doubt received a lot of attention because it was an andipcated title, but this is no different than what was discuss when Jim posted a video like Fallout 76. People had a feeling he was going to think it was not a good game, but they still want to see what he has to say about the game.

PlayStation fans are going to obviously talk about the game because this was thrown in the faces by Xbox fans years ago when DirectX12 and The Cloud were hyped from 2015 to 2016.

It's crazy to see the amount of Xbox fans complain about Sony fans entering these threads when they support pro Xbox YouTube channels that are geared to putting the PlayStation 4 brand down. That's how they built their YouTube community, but many people on here support them anyways.
It's a pattern. It wouldn't matter as much if it wasn't happening in every thread, including OTs

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's a pattern. It wouldn't matter as much if it wasn't happening in every thread, including OTs

Surprising coming from you since you're known for posting bait post in a lot of Sony threads.

If community hypes a game for years telling you how many PS fans are scared of the cloud and a game gets a 60 rating on MC, then don't think for a second PS fans are going to not laugh a bit at what's going on.

But the most surprising thing is that Xbox fans thinking these low rated games are ok, even though they want MS to do much better next generation.

Three

Right????

NOTE: Normally if someone thinks a game is bad, they just do. It's not something you have to go "somewhere" else to let other people know that you think the game is bad. It is what it is and you move on with whatever you're playing. You inherently have no desire to even bother because you feel pretty confident in your decision.

If you didn't enter threads like this

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/horizon-zero-dawn-is-boring.1462268/

Liking the other xbox fans posts about how Sony games are boring and the like I would have believed this nonsense. But here you are defending one of the most repetitive and mundane games out there and it doesn't take a genius to know why.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Liking the other xbox fans posts about how Sony games are boring and the like I would have believed this nonsense. But here you are defending one of the most repetitive and mundane games out there and it doesn't take a genius to know why.

That's what I noticed, too. He doesn't post in them at often, but he often lurks and likes other bashing Sony games, even though he hasn't played them.

DavidGzz

Having a blast with it. Anyone seriously comparing the graphics to that eyesore San Andreas has to be blind af.

Reallink

I'm a little over half way through and have found it to be a perfect Gamepass title and a throwback good time. GTA or RDR2 it is not, so I understand the reviews from a modern $60 boxed product perspective, but I think its release is more about gathering data on Gamepass engagement and whether funding "B-Movie" games (like Netflix and Hulu originals are swimming in) is something that works in the games space.

Last edited:
Surprising coming from you since you're known for posting bait post in a lot of Sony threads.

If community hypes a game for years telling you how many PS fans are scared of the cloud and a game gets a 60 rating on MC, then don't think for a second PS fans are going to not laugh a bit at what's going on.

But the most surprising thing is that Xbox fans thinking these low rated games are ok, even though they want MS to do much better next generation.
Known for posting bait posts in Sony threads? That would imply I have at least 5 posts doing so. Please link those to back your claim.

Tapioca

Banned
It looked like an even worse Saints Row

I didn't play it but my bf actually liked it.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Known for posting bait posts in Sony threads? That would imply I have at least 5 posts doing so. Please link those to back your claim.

Introducing the Red Dead Redemption 2 PS4 Pro Bundle

Considering the advantage Scorpio will have and the lack of a true Sony customized console bundle, I'm not sure what this will accomplish. Does Sony have any timed dlc exclusive content?
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/introducing-the-red-dead-redemption-2-ps4-pro-bundle.1466165/page-2

Gran Turismo Sport - July Update 1.23 in detail

But you are constantly talking down about MS games being a "haven" for microtransactions and pushing GAAS. Now that sony is doing it, it's just the bees knees, right? Rotfl. Never change, TLW.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gran-turismo-sport-july-update-1-23-in-detail.1464219/page-2

Fortnite on PlayStation doesn't have cross-platform play with other consoles because they are worse, explains Sony boss.

Ridiculous corporate lap dog response. Sony is "doing the right thing". For who? You? Them? For the players? What a joke. And Xbox has no place? This message brought to us by Playstation and the letter S. Lol.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/fort...y-are-worse-explains-sony-boss.1465303/page-4

Your intentions are clear by the way you respond and end your messages while replying in Sony threads. Someone who complains about PS fans going into Sony threads, you sure do the exact same thing. You're looking to attack other members, which is pretty close base don your responses.

Gavon West

Um....because I like it??

And I didnt shit-post in the thread. Not sure where you're coming from there. I liked one of the posts and agreed. No harm there. But, shit post....no.

Last edited:

-MD-

The people defending this game say it's similar to Crackdown 1, a game we played over a decade ago.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Eh game is a solid 7.
But that is the problem it is just a 7.
While xbox needs a 9.
Still i am having a lot of fun with the game right now.If anything the game is a joy to look at for the HDR on an oled. At times i feel like i am watching TRON. I never played the old crackdowns games. But the platforming is fun. The non stop action is great. This is def one of those games where most reviewers are out to shit on it. While the game is just average at best. One of the worst things to have.

Introducing the Red Dead Redemption 2 PS4 Pro Bundle

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/introducing-the-red-dead-redemption-2-ps4-pro-bundle.1466165/page-2

Gran Turismo Sport - July Update 1.23 in detail

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gran-turismo-sport-july-update-1-23-in-detail.1464219/page-2

Fortnite on PlayStation doesn't have cross-platform play with other consoles because they are worse, explains Sony boss.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/fort...y-are-worse-explains-sony-boss.1465303/page-4

Your intentions are clear by the way you respond and end your messages while replying in Sony threads. Someone who complains about PS fans going into Sony threads, you sure do the exact same thing. You're looking to attack other members, which is pretty close base don your responses.
That's 2 in Sony games thread. Fortnite was a crossplay thread. Not quite the volume to create a reputation as you claim, champ. The constant posts by you and others pale in comparison to the entire 2 you found of me. If you notice, its usually to say something to TLW, but still counts. 2. You found 2. Lol

I listen to Jim every week. I thought he was very wrong about this game. It's fun. I liked the first Crackdown. This is more of the same but with much better graphics and cool colors. I don't really understand all the hate. I think that sometimes reviewers play so many games that they start expecting every game to be a masterpiece or one of the "best" in it's genre...that's not what I wanted or expected from Crackdown. I expected fast, mindless action with cool explosions and a lot of platforming. It delivered in spades. And, I'm having fun with it.

You gotta remember that Jim reviewed Apex Legends and gave it a weak "ok" to "good" review and then came back with a video a week later saying how great it was and how he had underestimated it. ....he's not really on top of his game this month.

Top Bottom