• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: How Consoles Broke The 'Play Now' Promise (Oct. 17, 2016)

Not the first time I've seen Jim making this point and while I agree with some things he said, I don't agree with the platform comparison point. There are still some fucking huge differences between easiness of use for consoles and PC, it's not as clear cut as consoles being worse PCs and that's it. There's still a sort of plug and play quality that's frankly missing from PC, on a console you can just play the game and have its settings optimized for you and not having to worry about the hardware interchangeable parts or well pretty much anything. That's very valuable for your average dude.

No excuse whatsoever for the connection thing though holy shit.

darkrage6

Banned
Sadly, it seems to be.

Games releasing unfinished/broken, with lots of patches, day 1 DLC, scummy gambling/F2P mechanics bolted on.

I think the golden era of gaming is behind us.

Being able to buy digitally, pre-load, have a game there on hour 1 is fantastic, when it works, but all of the above bullshit is more common, and I miss the days of buying a complete product, putting it in a device, and it just working without trying to rob me of more money.

I roll my eyes whenever people say that, I think games are better then ever now.

Doc_Drop

darkrage, are you just bored or just super into this topic cus you seem to be attempting to address every single comment or argument in here. I'm not having a go,it's just am odd thing to see chains of your posts responding to people all over

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I roll my eyes whenever people say that, I think games are better then ever now.

They are, and relatively speaking cheaper than ever too.

But anyway, if people want to live in the past, there's more than ample opportunity these days to play exclusively retro-titles. Most people don't or simply cherry-pick nostalgic favourites anyway because there's never been a time where every game that came out was great, so whatever period you pick you still need to wade through a whole lot of mediocre or worse to find the gems.

cooldawn

I'd rather stay mute because I'm really quite mad about the way ideal PC ecosystems have ruined the console experience.

Oh...and console players are not interested in better graphics. Funny one, Jim.

I can live with that for digital games. I know what I'm in for when I buy them.
What pisses me off though is putting in the disc of my new game and then seeing a popup tellingme I need patches worth half the size of the game.

Publishers need to stop rushing devs. How can a game go gold when they KNOW they're working on a huge patch? That tells me theit deadline was way too tight and not that the bugs and/or missing content(!) were not noticed before printing discs.

That shit makes me want to start returning games which I have not done for at least 20 years.

Can't really disagree with Jim's editorial here. Stuff like this was rearing its ugly head back in the previous generation too--as much as I love those games, MM's LBP titles, as well as the late UFG's MNR were big offenders regarding the use of having to wait for long periods of time on end for patches/updates. Seeing this attitude with patching being amplified up to eleven for this generation is pretty lousy, especially since in this era even physical games have to be installed to the console first before you can play them.

It's practices like these along other reasons is why I'm seriously considering skipping a "eight-gen" (re: PS4/XB1) console entirely. Personally would love to just ride out the Wii U --which save for some nagging mandatory(?) patches is otherwise a "traditional" plug-and-play system-- but that platform's been moribund in software support for a while now. Maybe I'll just start using Steam for my non-Nintendo games in the future.

test_account

XP-39C²
The fact that we still barely know anything about the NX despite it only being five months away if cause for concern.
I dont think that means much regarding that. Rumors says that the games will be on carts, and since its also a handheld, it will unlikely require installs.

Can't really disagree with Jim's editorial here. Stuff like this was rearing its ugly head back in the previous generation too--as much as I love those games, MM's LBP titles, as well as the late UFG's MNR were big offenders regarding the use of having to wait for long periods of time on end for patches/updates. Seeing this attitude with patching being amplified up to eleven for this generation is pretty lousy, especially since in this era even physical games have to be installed to the console first before you can play them.

It's practices like these along other reasons is why I'm seriously considering skipping a "eight-gen" (re: PS4/XB1) console entirely. Personally would love to just ride out the Wii U --which save for some nagging mandatory(?) patches is otherwise a "traditional" plug-and-play system-- but that platform's been moribund in software support for a while now. Maybe I'll just start using Steam for my non-Nintendo games in the future.
I dont know about Xbox One, but no patches are mandatory on PS4 (unless you want to play online of course, but that goes for Nintendo systems as well). You can also download the patches in the background while playing the game offline. Using Steam will have the same things as today's consoles, games on discs have to be installed there as well.

darkrage6

Banned
darkrage, are you just bored or just super into this topic cus you seem to be attempting to address every single comment or argument in here. I'm not having a go,it's just am odd thing to see chains of your posts responding to people all over

I'm really into JQ topics on this forum, so I like responding to posts.

Lister

Banned
Actually many people say Diablo 3 is better on consoles then on PC due to having co-op and also not being crippled by always-online DRM.

What does that have to do with my statement?

"Crippled" is also something I've never heard anyoen say about the PC version, but certinaly HAVE heard said about the console verison with it's rampant cheating and lack of Seasons and other features.

Lister

Banned
Not really no, I can't describe how much I fucking hate third-party DRM on PC games, lots of PC users fucking hate it. Over 500,000 copies of Spore were pirated in protest once it was discovered that EA forced DRM into the game against Wil Wright's wishes.

Starforce could cause crashes on PC, Securi-ROM restricted the number of times you could install a game, and now Denuvo is said to be behind several games performing badly on PC like Lords of the Fallen and Arkham Knight.

Denuvo has NOT been shown to affect performance of games. In fact it's been shown not to affect it, thanks to a couple of games that were cracked.

Top Bottom