• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim's Legacy: (LTD) PS5 59.3 m | (YTD) PS5 4.5m, NSW 1.96m, XBS 0.8 m; Profit G&NS 700$ m , Nintendo $426 m, Activision ($350)

zedinen

Jim Ryan's era has come to an end:

jXS2iLG.jpeg

1.LTD (Launch Aligned)

PS4 60.1 m

PS5 59.3 m (FY23: 20.8 m)

PS2 53.85 m

2.US LTD (March)

2024 PS5 20.16 m

2017 PS4 18.50 m

3.JP LTD (March)

2024 PS5 5.46 m

2017 PS4 4.53 m

4.YTD Hardware

PS5 4.5 m

NSW 1.96 m

XBS 0.8 m

5.YTD Sales (
Exchange Rate $1= ¥151.34)

Sony G&NS $7,250 m

MS Gaming $5,451 m (includes Activision)

Activision $1,970 m

Nintendo $1,830 m

6.YTD Operating Income (
Exchange Rate $1= ¥151.34)

Sony G&NS $700 m

Nintendo $426 m

Activision (loss) ($350 m)

7. Operating Income (PS4 vs PS5)

FY14
¥48.1 bn | FY21 ¥346.1 bn

FY15 ¥88.7 bn | FY22 ¥250.0 bn

FY16 ¥135.6 bn | FY23 ¥290.2 bn

FY17 ¥177.5 bn | FY24 ¥310.0 bn (FCT)

eww9b65.jpeg

Ni66leK.jpeg

sdnLgGo.jpeg

9YABvAC.jpeg

bLnXkci.jpeg

Last edited:

Flabagast

Not a fan of the man and especially not the direction he wanted Sony games to take, but you can’t deny he nearly manage to destroy the competition, by making them spend an insane amount of money in the process

Ps5 needs a $100 price cut and other Sony Studios not named Insomniac need to start releasing games. All this remasters and remake nonsense has to stop. No one is buying a new console to play old games. Just ask Microsoft how that’s working out for them…

The switch also needs a $100 price cut. It’s old at this point and cutting the price will move hardware. It’s too expensive for its age.

Last edited:
Hardware shipments are down 1.8 million year over year for the quarter (4.5m to 6.3m), however for the entire fiscal year hardware shipments are 1.8 million up (20.9m to 19.1m).

PS5 Versus PS4

For the 4th quarter of the 3rd full fiscal year (yellow) the 4.5 million the PS5 shipped is 1.6 million up on PS4's 2.9 million and after 14 quarters the PS5 totals 59.3 million compared to 60.2 million for the PS4. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 0.9 million behind PS4.

NDXxVqQ.png

XoIXZ5c.png

PS5 versus current competitors

After 14 quarters the PS5 totals 59.3 million compared to 29.5 million (est) for XBS and 61.44 million for NSW. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 29.8 million (est) ahead of the XBS and 2.14 million behind the NSW.

mTH08uo.png

8x0AJ48.png

Note: XBS hardware shipments are my personal estimates based on the limited information available.

Last edited:
Playstation 5's Shipments of 20.9 million in FY3 are very high, Only PS2, DS and Switch were higher and they were sold at a much cheaper price.

- PS2 shipped around 13 million more units after FY10, it was on sale from 2000 to 2013
- GB numbers counted up to March 31st 1998, GBC numbers counted from April 1st 1998
- PSV, XBO and XBS shipments are my estimates based on the available data

uJf65DR.png

fjlfXHt.png

bbebn20.png

Last edited:

Kerotan

4.5M Vs 0.8M is insane. Also 7.2BN Vs 1.8BN revenue is crazy but profits show Nintendo have very healthy profit margins.

The forecast for this fiscal year is 18 million which is slightly less than the 19 million the PS4 shipped in it's 4th full fiscal year. So they expect PS5 to still be behind PS4 in one year's time and it may be behind the PS4 for the next 2 to 3 years but it should eventually pass it because the PS4's life was cut short by covid and the resulting component shortages.

Last edited:
While the HW numbers for Q4 are indeed great, in the long run I think they need to find a way to cut BOM cost more and permanently lower the MSRP of the console else I'm not sure if they'll manage to exceed PS4 lifetime numbers (I do hope I'm wrong though). While in the US the PS5 is currently outselling the PS4 launch aligned, in Europe it's starting to lag behind as people here are more price conscious.

Xbox is completely demolished. They have no plays left. These numbers would be difficult to predict at the start of the gen. They are highly likely to go 3rd party. I can only imagine what the Europe numbers look like.

The forecast for this fiscal year is 18 million which is slightly less than the 19 million the PS4 shipped in it's 4th full fiscal year. So they expect PS5 to still be behind PS4 in one years time and it may be behind the PS4 for the next 2 to 3 years but it should eventually pass it because the PS4's life was cut short by covid and the resulting component shortages.

I also expect Sony is being more conservative about their forecast for 2024.

I think we can anticipate no price cut this year and a 600 dollar PS5 Pro and depending on how well that sells, they might do promotions.

I had really hoped they would drop the price of the PS5 digital to 350, PS5 standard to 400, and launch the pro for 500, but that's a pipe dream now.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I'm on my phone so it's hard to look at everything but what are those YTD numbers? They don't look right at all. Are they for a specific region?

Last edited:

foamdino

My prediction is that the base PS5 will get a perm price drop this northern hemisphere winter along side the release of the ps5pro.

Right now I think Sony are on the cusp of losing out on sales from 2 sets of people:
  1. People plugged into the news/rumour mill who are holding out for the Pro to arrive (and those that will upgrade)
  2. People who look at a 4+ year old device and think "that should be $300-350, not 400+"
Basically the price conscious and the rumour-mill-connected will not buy right now.

They also need to drop the price of the PSVR2

Given how little we (officially) know of internal dev, I can see there being a big splash this summer.

kyussman

Ok,we are half way through May and Xbox have failed to sell a million consoles this year....so they are done then,I didn't really realise thing's were at that level even though I try to keep up with news on here,no wonder they are going third party,but honestly it seems like that is the last throw of the dice....people aren't interseted in Xbox consoles anymore.Games sell consoles,it's fucking bizarre Microsoft never understood this.

jm89

PS5 being only 800k behind the PS4 is great when you consider the PS5 Pro is launching this year and GTA6 very well may launch next year. The PS5's gonna crush the PS4 in lifetime sales.
Also get a price drop in at somepoint this year, it will easily get past the ps4 even before gta6 launches.

King Dazzar

Geezo, Xbox are in even worse trouble than I realised. With a stagnating sub focused business model dependent on increasing subs, when hardware sales are doing so badly, no wonder they're going third party.

kyubajin

Playstation 5's Shipments of 20.9 million for FY3 are very high, Only Switch, PS2 and DS were higher and they were sold at a much cheaper price.

uJf65DR.png

PMkzoCO.png

bbebn20.png

Note: PSV, XBO and XBS shipments are my estimates based on limited data.
PS2 totals 147.34M and Ryan said they sold 160M.

Top Bottom