• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim's Legacy: (LTD) PS5 59.3 m | (YTD) PS5 4.5m, NSW 1.96m, XBS 0.8 m; Profit G&NS 700$ m , Nintendo $426 m, Activision ($350)

Throw The Towel GIF

Anchovie123

I guess Sony will have to wait for GTA 6 to bump PS5 above PS4. PS will secure GTA 6 marketing rights and if Xbox isnt dead by then it will be after that.

GiBiz did a nice breakdown of the Sony Group and SIE financials for both FY23 and this quarter (e.g. Q4):

The numbers​

Full-year (12 months ended March 31, 2024)
  • Net sales: ¥11.3 trillion ($72.2 billion, up 12% year-on-year)
  • Operating income: ¥1.04 trillion ($6.6 billion, up 5%)
  • Game & Network Services net sales: ¥4.3 trillion ($27.5 billion, up 17%)
  • Game & Network Services operating income: ¥290.2 billion ($1.9 billion, up 16%)
Q4 (3 months ended March 31, 2024)
  • Net sales: ¥2.8 trillion ($17.9 billion, up 9%)
  • Operating income: ¥203.3 billion ($1.3 billion, up 115%)
  • Game & Network Services net sales: ¥1.1 trillion ($7.03 billion, up 2.2%)
  • Game & Network Services operating income: ¥135.8 billion ($868 million, up 172.5%)

The forecast​

FY24 (12 months ended March 31, 2025)
  • Sales: ¥11.4 trillion ($72.9 billion, up 1%)
  • Operating income: ¥1.13 trillion ($7.2 billion, up 9%)
  • Game & Network Services net sales: ¥4.2 trillion ($26.8 billion, down 1.5%)
  • Game & Network Services operating income: ¥310 billion ($2 billion, up 6.8%)

Last edited:

Flabagast

Xbox sales are worse than anyone could imagine. And I guess their future games this year will all flop and not appear in any Top 10.

They were all in on Starfield and it really fucked them

Last edited:
PS5 becomes only the seventh Platform to ever ship 20 million units or more in a single fiscal year, the others being PS1, PS2, PS4, DS, Wii and NSW. These are also the highest yearly Playstation hardware shipments for 21 years (since PS2 FY 2002/03).

Last edited:

OuterLimits

I'm curious where consoles will be in 10-15 years. My 11 year old has been hassling me to get a good PC for gaming.(friggin 11 year old) I haven't been a PC gamer in quite a few years so I asked him why we need one when we have a ton of good console games: "Dad, PC gaming is much better than console. Not many in my school even talk about console stuff".

I'm thinking I need to switch his school and hope this was a bizarre anomaly.............Or just suck it up and buy a really good PC.

Zheph

I'm curious where consoles will be in 10-15 years. My 11 year old has been hassling me to get a good PC for gaming.(friggin 11 year old) I haven't been a PC gamer in quite a few years so I asked him why we need one when we have a ton of good console games: "Dad, PC gaming is much better than console. Not many in my school even talk about console stuff".

I'm thinking I need to switch his school and hope this was a bizarre anomaly.............Or just suck it up and buy a really good PC.
Yeah I don't think kids these days are really into consoles. Actually kinda lucky that he is into PC as I would say the casual gamer is flocking to mobile/tablets

I would say dude rode the success wave of the ps4 and failure of the Xbone and lately also Series. His successor will have to deal with the long term effects of GaaS push (outcome not at all clear but GT and HD work so far so no bad hit quota), PC push (probably good short term, but damaging to the console if no own PC store is introduced) and crossover media push (hard to argue with Xbox Fallout also having nice numbers, that thing benefitting everyone) to find new growth fields beyond that. I guess with the HD steam/PC revelation it is clear that Sony can and should expand to more territories.
With handhelds offering more and more good enough experiences, that seems also to be something that might be more important than keep trying half heartedly with VR. Either could be added to flagsship console in a clever cross platform strategy though. Will trigger the "xyz is holding back" people, but imho could be easy money.

Last edited:

jm89

The big issue is getting those who are on ps4 to upgrade.

If they don't want to do a price cut they better hope GTA6 is coming this FY or i'm not believing in that 18 Million forecast.

I think ps5 can surpass ps4 sales, sony already claimed 30% of users are new users to ps5 who never owned a ps4.

So if they can get ps4 users upgraded without losing too many people it's possible.

Last edited:
Enter the Vergin's Tom

Wow, what a desperate take. Take every point and put a negative spin on it. Let's not even mention that they beat their nearest competitor by a 5.6:1 ratio. He also acts like because of the "poor" results, now Sony thinks it'll drop even more. Even though the truth is they think it will drop because that's the natural decline pretty much every console sees after full year 3.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
5:1.... damn.

And launch aligned, the still no price drop PS5 is just under 1M behind the PS4 and ahead of the PS2 by almost 6M... and the industry is about to crash...

Yup, will say it again, the industry is not Microsoft. Because MS is failing doesn't mean the industry is in trouble.
Not if Ms just keeps buying more of the industry by pointing at these console numbers.

Mr.Phoenix

Not if Ms just keeps buying more of the industry by pointing at these console numbers.
I don't see that happening anymore. Contrary to what MS may have been saying before. They are literally closing studios from what they just recently acquired, and there has hardly been any major success to speak of for the billions they sunk into all that they acquired thus far. Xbox may be ok taking a hit, but I doubt Microsoft is. Their recent multiplatform push is a direct result of this, that money spent has to be made back somehow, and since their platform clearly is not big enough to sustain that kind of investment, they have started looking outside their platform.

It would be flat-out crazy for them to go out and try and buy anyone else in their current state, I don't even know if they would be allowed to considering how much of a headache the Activision thing was. But then again, this is MS, so thinking sensibly isn't what we should be doing.

I also expect Sony is being more conservative about their forecast for 2024.

I think we can anticipate no price cut this year and a 600 dollar PS5 Pro and depending on how well that sells, they might do promotions.

I had really hoped they would drop the price of the PS5 digital to 350, PS5 standard to 400, and launch the pro for 500, but that's a pipe dream now.
Unfortunately, I think you are right. As weird as it may sound I was hoping for an even worse 4th quarter performance to justify a price drop. But when taking everything into perspective, the fact that they are only less than 1M behind the PS4, which at this time already cost $299, is kinda vindication on their part to not drop the price. Especially when the rate of sales growth is not their priority.

On another note, there technically isn't a digital and standard SKU anymore, so it's likely that going forward we only see the digital SKU made available since that always carries with it the option to just buy a Drive and attach to it. So it's possible that the most expensive PS5 we see be $400. That also means that the disc driveless PS5pro can come in at "the low price of" $500, and still have you buy a disc drive for it if you are so inclined.

lucbr

Playstation didn't reach PS4 numbers and Xbox lost millions. So, the players are going elsewhere. That's not a good look and I can see why the console industry is in such a turmoil.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I don't see that happening anymore. Contrary to what MS may have been saying before. They are literally closing studios from what they just recently acquired, and there has hardly been any major success to speak of for the billions they sunk into all that they acquired thus far. Xbox may be ok taking a hit, but I doubt Microsoft is. Their recent multiplatform push is a direct result of this, that money spent has to be made back somehow, and since their platform clearly is not big enough to sustain that kind of investment, they have started looking outside their platform.

It would be flat-out crazy for them to go out and try and buy anyone else in their current state, I don't even know if they would be allowed to considering how much of a headache the Activision thing was. But then again, this is MS, so thinking sensibly isn't what we should be doing.

Unfortunately, I think you are right. As weird as it may sound I was hoping for an even worse 4th quarter performance to justify a price drop. But when taking everything into perspective, the fact that they are only less than 1M behind the PS4, which at this time already cost $299, is kinda vindication on their part to not drop the price. Especially when the rate of sales growth is not their priority.

On another note, there technically isn't a digital and standard SKU anymore, so it's likely that going forward we only see the digital SKU made available since that always carries with it the option to just buy a Drive and attach to it. So it's possible that the most expensive PS5 we see be $400. That also means that the disc driveless PS5pro can come in at "the low price of" $500, and still have you buy a disc drive for it if you are so inclined.
To be clear I'm saying they can argue to the FTC "see we bought Activision and we still suck in sales! Clearly we need more!"

Since a big part of their argument for buying Activision that worked was Sony being market leader.

Now if I were Sony I would have showed losses during ps3 and how they made their own stuff to be establish their position without making even a ONE billion dollar purchase or getting to own any major third party ip, but their legal "experts" didn't do that

Mr.Phoenix

Imagine a price cut this holiday to get it to a more mass market price before gta6
As things stand that is unlikely to happen as I alluded to above.

It also doesn't help that GTA6 isn't due out this year, that's next year, which would be right in time for them to finally drop the price to $299.

I fear the closest we get to a price drop, is a $399 PS5 and a $499 PS5pro (both with disc drive sold separately). We may get a bone and a game bundled with one or both of them. Maybe something like a Helldivers 2 bundle and/or a COD bundle...etc.

jm89

Playstation didn't reach PS4 numbers and Xbox lost millions. So, the players are going elsewhere. That's not a good look and I can see whey the console industry is in such a turmoil.
30% of ps5 users never had a ps4.

So some xbox users could have gone as part of that 30%.

Alot of ps4 sales could also be xbox players migrating over to playstation at the mid to tail end of last gen.

Last edited:
Tom Warren is a total idiot. He still on Phil Spencer's dick and doing his best to spin every Sony news into negative.

How the hell does PS5 have its best fiscal year to date but this idiot tries to spin it into a negative?

I don't know if he knows this but doing FUD campaigns against PS5 isn't going to help make Xbox consoles sell better. Xbox has no future in console gaming.

lucbr

Alot of ps4 sales could also be xbox players migrating over to playstation at the mid to tail end of last gen.

Still, the numbers don't match, far from that. The console userbase has descreased significantly. And the sales expectations for all were even lowered.

Can't see, because the price tag, PS5 Pro changing that. Maybe GTA and Switch 2 can aliviate. In any case, we probably will end this generation with much lower consoles sales than before.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
As things stand that is unlikely to happen as I alluded to above.

It also doesn't help that GTA6 isn't due out this year, that's next year, which would be right in time for them to finally drop the price to $299.

I fear the closest we get to a price drop, is a $399 PS5 and a $499 PS5pro (both with disc drive sold separately). We may get a bone and a game bundled with one or both of them. Maybe something like a Helldivers 2 bundle and/or a COD bundle...etc.
They should bundle ff16 and rebirth in separate bundles this year. MAKE sales meet expectations even if Sony has to buy the copies cause I love 16 too much for them to be dissuaded from more of that

jm89

Still, the numbers don't match, far from that. And the sales expectations for all the consoles were even lowered.
Numbers don't match what?

Right now we have launch aligned numbers and this is without price cuts.

We don't know where ps5 will land in the end. Permanenet price cuts can do wonders in the mid to later years.

lucbr

Numbers don't match what?

Right now we have launch aligned numbers and this is without price cuts.

We don't know where ps5 will land in the end. Permanenet price cuts can do wonders in the mid to later years

The console userbase has descreased significantly. And the sales expectations for all were even lowered.

Can't see, because the price tag, PS5 Pro changing that. Maybe GTA and Switch 2 can aliviate. In any case, we probably will end this generation with much lower consoles sales than before.

jm89

The console userbase has descreased significantly. And the sales expectations for all were even lowered.
Again we don't know that until the end of the gen.

The sales expectation is for the short term, next FY.

I'd imagine sony are gonna lowball this time, as they were over amibitious with their past forecast.

Unknown?

Maybe but PS5 will likely be ahead of PS4 by the end. Probably not much but 120M or 125M is likely.

Killjoy-NL

And lots of PS4 users probably haven't moved over yet due to price, economy and not many truly current-gen games yet.

I think you're conflating sku with build. There is certainly a stock keeping unit that includes the drive, whether it is the same build as the digital is irrelevant. Even if that was a spider-man bundle, it would be a different SKU of the same system.

Regardless, you may be right but I doubt they'd shift away from the standard unit given that makes up the lionshare of sales, but who knows once the pro comes out. People are already willing to pay 50 more for the disc drive, they'll probably willing to pay 150 more for the pro.

Damn, with all their fuckups, the doom and gloom vibe in forums/social media and the #SonyToo we've had in recent months I was kinda expecting everything to be down but they're having a hell of a year. No wonder why they're still confident as fuck.

Woopah

Ps5 needs a $100 price cut and other Sony Studios not named Insomniac need to start releasing games. All this remasters and remake nonsense has to stop. No one is buying a new console to play old games. Just ask Microsoft how that’s working out for them…

The switch also needs a $100 price cut. It’s old at this point and cutting the price will move hardware. It’s too expensive for its age.
From what they said to investors, I think a Switch price cut is very likely this year.
4.5M Vs 0.8M is insane. Also 7.2BN Vs 1.8BN revenue is crazy but profits show Nintendo have very healthy profit margins.
I think Sony would have noticeably better margins if they didn't do this thing of reporting third party digital revenue as their own.

But I also see the logic in why they report that way.
The forecast for this fiscal year is 18 million which is slightly less than the 19 million the PS4 shipped in it's 4th full fiscal year. So they expect PS5 to still be behind PS4 in one years time and it may be behind the PS4 for the next 2 to 3 years but it should eventually pass it because the PS4's life was cut short by covid and the resulting component shortages.
Completely agree with this.
Ok,we are half way through May and Xbox have failed to sell a million consoles this year....so they are done then,I didn't really realise thing's were at that level even though I try to keep up with news on here,no wonder they are going third party,but honestly it seems like that is the last throw of the dice....people aren't interseted in Xbox consoles anymore.Games sell consoles,it's fucking bizarre Microsoft never understood this.
Those numbers in the OP are until the end of March. Still bad for Xbox though.

I was a massive PC gamer as a kid. Then you grow up and habits change.

And this year will be even worse...and next 2 years with Sony having their 1st party studios releasing games left and right will be something to see. Meanwhile MS will have Activision all hand on deck with one IP (COD) and Bethesda will keep flopping like they have been.

But hey...they will at least make a lot of money i guess.

Still incredibly depressing how stagnant creativity is going on at Xbox right now. The fact they closed some studios they were giving them some of their best content is mindblowing to me.

Top Bottom