• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Job Postings Hint At Sony Santa Monica (God of War Team)'s Two New Projects

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, we know from previous statements made by Sony Santa Monica that they're working on two new projects, one for a more immediate release and one a few years out.

Recently, however, Sony put up a bunch of job postings for the "God of War team" that give us some insight in to what they might be building.

The first two postings point to something that sounds a lot like an action adventure game with puzzles, navigation challenges, and platforming, not unlike God of War.

Job 1 said:
Overview:
Join the God of War team!

Senior Level Designer

• Design any element in game including: puzzles, navigation/platforming challenges, building 3D environments, modeling and texturing, designing and implementing fun/challenging AI layouts, scripting entities, placing rough cameras, including animated and entity-triggered cameras, sound implementation, level warping and gameflow, cinematic placement and triggering
Source: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/JobSeekerX/ViewJob.asp?JobID=8XUSqJr/vFS0LW1uh/s6H65AeeDb

Job 2 said:
Overview:

Game Designer - Cameras

• Ability to implement cameras in any of the following:
• puzzles
• navigation challenges
• enemy fights
Source: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseeker...iewJob.asp?JobID=8XUSqJr/vFS0LW1uh/s6H65AeeDb

The third posting points to either a God of War sequel/genre successor getting some very new features, or points toward a new series that's rather different.

Job 3 said:
Overview:

Senior Online Programmer

Job Description:
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) Santa Monica is seeking a Senior Online Programmer to join it's team.

Responsibilities:
• Designing and implementing systems and tools to support networking needs (such as in-game communication, client-server, match-making, leaderboards)
• Help support existing systems
• Writing clear, maintainable, portable, and highly functional code
• Profiling and performance tuning of code and systems to remove bottlenecks
• As needed work on tools and technology tasks to support specific project requirements
• Testing and documenting of the code you write
Source: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/viewjobrss.asp?cjid=25641&accountno=345

Tiduz

Eurogaime
am i a bad person for hoping god of war isnt over? I wanna see what they can do with a 2nd game and then ps4

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Would love to see all the talent they accumulated with God of War be used for something new.

KingDizzi

Banned
I'm getting the feeling it's gonna be a GOW game. Multiplayer has got to be in whatever game they make next, I believe they are the only Sony first party remaining whom have not done online yet.

newjeruse

On one of the recent Bonus Rounds, John Hight proclaimed his admiration for Blizzard and hinted that SSM wants to duplicate that type of community involvement and loyalty in their next project.

I don't think SSM would undertake a full-fledged MMO with their next project, but I wouldn't be surprised if it featured lite MMO elements.

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow, I cant wait to see what they do with that multiplayer project.

they should try to make multiplayer brawler, like this
256px-WOTM.jpg

I wonder if it's possible to make a fighting game mechanic that bring the level of cinematic action on par with Kratos vs Hercules fight. love that fight so much.

After they completed GoW3 they mentioned that they had a small project in a development and a bigger one that was years away from release.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Callibretto said:
they should try to make multiplayer brawler, like this
256px-WOTM.jpg

I wonder if it's possible to make a fighting game mechanic that bring the level of cinematic action on par with Kratos vs Hercules fight. love that fight so much.
yesyesyesyesyes YES!

Best multiplayer brawler ever. Damn that game was fantastic.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SolidSnakex said:
After they completed GoW3 they mentioned that they had a small project in a development and a bigger one that was years away from release.
Yes, the link to that is the first sentence in the OP. :p

I want to see what they can do with new IP or even new genre and also I'm not sure what's left to tell of Kratos after GoW3. but I do love God of War and I'll be there day one if they make GoW4. at the very least, I know it'll be a blast to play with jaw dropping set pieces to see

DaBuddaDa

I will guess the first "smaller" project is a new God of War for the NGP, like Ghosts of Sparta, and the second "bigger" project is the one with the online component which will likely be a new IP.

newjeruse

I wonder if they are making a smaller epilogue to GOW3 which includes the Titans which they admitted they cut out of the final game and an ending to the unresolved story. Making it a $20-$30 downloadable title would solve the issue of making it a 1P only experience.

V_Ben

Banned
Revolutionary said:
I hope this is that modern GoW hinted at in GoW1.

Fighting through the bones of a dead titan? I would be SO down with that.

I would love something that is like Legendary... but good. It would be an interesting change for that team.

Revolutionary said:
I hope this is that modern GoW hinted at in GoW1.

I wouldn't count on it as that was part of Jaffe's vision for the series. If I remember correctly the sequels have all been that directors vision and not what Jaffe originally planned. His idea for GoW3 was drastically different from the Stig's vision.

Canova

Banned
RustyNails said:
God of War is not over. The ending of GoW 3 made it clear. Bring on the Norse gods! THOOOOOOOOOOOOOORR!!!

that'd be aweseome, a proper Thor game, based on Norse Mythology not Marvel stuff

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
electroshockwave said:
Where does it imply that?

The blood splatter going over the cliff making it a rather open ending, basically setting up a sequel with lolsurprise Kratos is alive.

GeoramA

Would be awesome if Sony got Jaffe, Barlog, and Stig to co-direct a new GoW game. Let those egos clash and see what the end result would be.

Combichristoffersen said:
The blood splatter going over the cliff making it a rather open ending, basically setting up a sequel with lolsurprise Kratos is alive.

I assumed that he crawled off the edge to his death. He impaled himself with the Blade of Olympus, I don't know how he's supposed to come back from that.

Combichristoffersen

electroshockwave said:
I assumed that he crawled off the edge to his death. He impaled himself with the Blade of Olympus, I don't know how he's supposed to come back from that.

If they really wanted to set it in stone that he's dead, they should've just ended the game before the credits, with Kratos dying in a pool of his own blood. By adding that extra scene they're basically setting up GoW IV with some far-fetched explanation for how he managed to survive.

Trickster

Count me among those that would like a GoW4. The combat might lack the finnese of games like Bayonetta, but overall the games are such epic experiences that it don't matter a whole lot.

Combichristoffersen said:
If they really wanted to set it in stone that he's dead, they should've just ended the game before the credits, with Kratos dying in a pool of his own blood. By adding that extra scene they're basically setting up GoW IV with some far-fetched explanation for how he managed to survive.

You're probably right, I just watched the ending again and one of the youtube comments pointed out that he "died" on a stone engraving of a phoenix so maybe that would be part of the explanation, and you can hear him breathing heavily as the camera looks over the cliff.

Noshino

GeoramA said:
Would be awesome if Sony got Jaffe, Barlog, and Stig to co-direct a new GoW game. Let those egos clash and see what the end result would be.

Both Jaffe and Barlog are working on different projects, having the 3 work together for a Santa Monica game would take a lot of their time. Unfortunately it is very unlikely to happen :C

Combichristoffersen

electroshockwave said:
You're probably right, I just watched the ending again and one of the youtube comments pointed out that he "died" on a stone engraving of a phoenix so maybe that would be part of the explanation, and you can hear him breathing heavily as the camera looks over the cliff.

Actually, I'm not sure if the bird engraving is supposed to be a phoenix or an eagle (as the eagle was used as a symbol of Zeus), I don't think there's a definite consensus either way. But yeah, that final scene makes it rather obvious they left the ending open to avoid killing off their cash cow character forever :lol

I hope they take on a different mythology. Norse and Egyptian would be obvious, but I'd love to see them take on Hindu mythology with all the great colorful creatures and beings.

Combichristoffersen

captscience said:
I hope they take on a different mythology. Norse and Egyptian would be obvious, but I'd love to see them take on Hindu mythology with all the great colorful creatures and beings.

It would be interesting to see what they could do with Hindu mythology, but I don't know if it's well-known enough to Western audiences (compared to Norse and Egyptian mythology) to make it an easy sell?

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
I think Kratos is a terrible character (and his whole story of REVENGE!! is ridiculous considering he brought it all on himself), so I would like to see the studio use their considerable technical talents on an entirely new project. They sure know how to rock the hardware.

Canova

Banned
theBishop said:
New God of war for NGP, and some high budget multiplatform new franchise from a major publisher.

Those are my guesses.

yeah I can imagine that GOW4 with integration play NGP+PS3

I love all the GoW games, but 3 main games later it's time to move on Santa Monica! I've always wanted the team to move onto make something in a similar vein but in a different universe/mythology.

Will be amazing regardless.

theBishop said:
New God of war for NGP, and some high budget multiplatform new franchise from a major publisher.

Those are my guesses.

I don't follow. I'm sure I'm misunderstanding. Why would Sony Santa Monica be making a multiplatform game? Or do you mean, multiplatform as in NGP/PS3.

I think there'll definitely be another game called God Of War. I don't think it will have Kratos or Greek mythology in it though.

GoW3 had some frankly incredible set pieces, but some fairly crappy sections as well...I hope they move onto something new, these guys have a ton of talent

Top Bottom