• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joel Kinnaman to star in Netflix "Altered Carbon"

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://deadline.com/2016/05/joel-k...fi-series-miguel-sapochnik-direct-1201754452/

The Killing alum Joel Kinnaman is set as the lead in Netflix’s Altered Carbon futuristic drama series conceived, written and executive produced by Laeta Kalogridis (Avatar). Miguel Sapochnik (Game of Thrones) has come on board to direct the first episode of the series, from Skydance Television.

Based on Richard Morgan’s award-winning 2002 cyberpunk sci-fi novel, Altered Carbon is set in the 25th century when the human mind has been digitized and the soul itself is transferable from one body to the next. Takeshi Kovacs (Kinnaman), a former elite interstellar warrior known as an Envoy who has been imprisoned for 500 years, is downloaded into a future he’d tried to stop. If he can solve a single murder in a world where technology has made death nearly obsolete, he’ll get a chance at a new life on Earth.

Great casting decision!

RS4-

How much sex and violence are they going to have on netflix.

I'm not sure who I would've envisioned for the role of Kovacs, especially since he sleeves into bodies.

Karl Urban could've worked too.

HORRORSHØW;203402097 said:
Is the book worth a read? I always start and stop due to some reason or another.

Yes. Broken Angels might be the weakest out of the three books.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Not read the story myself though heard about it but the main characters name is Takashi and they cast a guy like Joel? I'm guessing he's of mixed origins in the book?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Not read the story myself though heard about it but the main characters name is Takashi and they cast a guy like Joel? I'm guessing he's of mixed origins in the book?

Japanese/Eastern European

Kinnaman is Swedish/American.

Jay Sosa

HORRORSHØW;203402097 said:
Is the book worth a read? I always start and stop due to some reason or another.

One of the best books I've ever read. And I read a shitload of books.

Excellent story, brilliant concepts and without any of the usual SciFi bullshit (afair)

Yes. Broken Angels might be the weakest out of the three books.

Still worth the read though.

RS4-

Japanese European. But mind are downloaded (sleeving) into new bodies.

Takeshi Kovacz is basically his soul's name - he's uploaded into different bodies.

New actor in each series would be cool, though they would probably just re-sleeve him in the same "model" if the series catches on.

in flashbacks he'll be Japanese/Slavic but his primary sleeve in Altered Carbon is brown skinned I think? at least that's the image I have in my head. been awhile since I've read it. but he has like 4 or 5 different bodies. i wonder how they handle it all.

Pilgrimzero

Finished the book awhile ago and can't say I recall how it ended.

I'll check out the tv show though cause I love cyberpunk but can't say the setting and book where all that great.

What a surprise out of all science fiction literature they go for one that revels the most in most in sex and violence. I wouldn't say that it's trash literature but the level of irony it uses when it approaches exploitative content is perfunctory unlike the high concept of cyberpunk. The "role" or skin colour of the lead of this character shouldn't really matter as he is data on a "cortical stack" computer chip. I believe his original racial origin was polish or something.

DieH@rd

Banned
The industry can go fuck itself

I absolutely don't see the issue here. The brain imprint of Takeshi Kovac was inserted into a generic athletic white male body when he was defrosted from his multi-century sentence. Did people really expect his first body in the show will be some half-asian dude? If they have flashback back to Harlans World, for those sections I expect Asian casting.

I'm glad they got great actor for it. Joel Kinnaman can definitely deliver the goods.

Finished the book awhile ago and can't say I recall how it ended.

BOOK SPOILER
Case was solved, and then Takeshi and his 100% identical clone with 100% indentical mind sat down and talked until they decided which one of them needs to die.

Sequels are better, much more cyberpunky and SF. Great stuff.

Pilgrimzero

I absolutely don't see the issue here. The brain imprint of Takeshi Kovac was inserted into a generic athletic white male body when he was defrosted from his multi-century sentence. Did people really expect his first body in the show will be some half-asian dude? If they have flashback back to Harlans World, for those sections I expect Asian casting.

I'm glad they got great actor for it. Joel Kinnaman can definitely deliver the goods.

BOOK SPOILER
Case was solved, and then Takeshi and his 100% identical clone with 100% indentical mind sat down and talked until they decided which one of them needs to die.

I meant as in the "who done it".

- J - D -

In the book, Takeshi is resleeved into the body of the former cop Elias Ryker, who has caucasian features.

edit: or what DieH@ard said.

Pastry

Banned

BOOK SPOILER

Exactly, from what I recall nothing about this is whitewashing. even though the guy is Asian he body he was sleeved into isn't.

Does this mean he gets to stay away from House of Cards? That'd be nice.

Is it wierd I liked his role? He was a solid counter to Underwood, somebody with similar devious tendencies but a likable public face.

I was convinced for a hot second that Frank was going to die from that gunshot wound, and the show would transition to following Kinnaman's character while in office.

Jay Sosa

It's subpar scifi.

You know what..I'm actually glad to hear that...since I can never agree with most of you guys on anything.

But I'll bite..what do you consider to be good SciFi? In a somewhat comparable subgenre that is. Cause honestly so far I haven't come across many books that are as thrilling as that one, and like I said, I read a lot.

You know what..I'm actually glad to hear that...since I can never agree with most of you guys on anything.

But I'll bite..what do you consider to be good SciFi? In a somewhat comparable subgenre that is.
KOP series was another good cyberpunk noir thriller. Honestly, I probably like it more than AC, mainly because of the setting and tone

But I'll bite..what do you consider to be good SciFi? In a somewhat comparable subgenre that is. Cause honestly so far I haven't come across many books that are as thrilling as that one, and like I said, I read a lot.

I think revelation space is a step above. i really want it to get its own series, too.

Jay Sosa

KOP series was another good cyberpunk noir thriller. Honestly, I probably like it more than AC, mainly because of the setting and tone

I think revelation space is a step above. i really want it to get its own series, too.

Nice, new reading stuff.

I'll get back at you guys once I've finished reading those.

Thanks btw.

EDIT: Wait...I have already read Revelation space..and well..I didn't like it too much. Afair it was pretty boring.

The important thing to think about when wondering how likely it will be to be made into a high profile TV drama series is working out how often hot actresses will show their tits on screen and if there are very regular betrayals and murders.

Jay Sosa

The important thing to think about when wondering how likely it will be to be made into a high profile TV drama series is working out how often hot actresses will show their tits on screen and if there are very regular betrayals and murders.

How would Revelation Space even work as a TV Series? As a movie maybe.

Epcott

Of course more white washing. Before that though a truly overrated book.

Errrr but Takeshi... We never see him
he's wearing the sleeve of Elias Ryker
so not really white washing.

Not only that, but everything is overrated and underrated...
Thisisneogaf.gif

The more I think about it the less I'm interested in watching a TV show based on the book

I mean, the book is alright, but wouldn't the screen adaptation just be a stereotypical hyper violent cyberpunk show?

Epcott

The more I think about it the less I'm interested in watching a TV show based on the book

I mean, the book is alright, but wouldn't the screen adaptation just be a stereotypical hyper violent cyberpunk show?

We need more cyberpunk shows. What was the last one? Almost Human?

By the way, how was Woken Furies? Couldn't get into it.

Hex

Banned

BOOK SPOILER

I would imagine that a good number of those complaining are going by the name and have never read the book (or any of Morgan's or Dick's books for that matter) and are just diving in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom