• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoeM86 confirmed to have huge tinfoil hat on head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axass

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Canadian culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Canada, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the canadian public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire for the 3DS, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and make Canada part of the worldwide launch or you can kiss your business goodbye.

We always get the short end if the stick... But to be fair I've seen a trend when it comes to Canada, games tend to take a little longer to actually show up on our databases too. I'm just gonna use Freedom Wars as an example. Amazon.com has had a pre order page for that up for ages now. We only got ours during E3. So I wouldn't panic too much fellow Canadians :p

MCN

Banned
You know what the link is between Canada and Europe? That's right, I blame the French.

Bloody French! *shakes fist in direction of English channel*

No way, has something like this actually happened before?

As in, a game was released in the US at a different date than in Canada?

I haven't ever seen it before, and I can't remember it ever happening when I used to live in Canada.

This has got to be some sort of miscommunication.
Yes. Notable examples like Rock Band and Guitar Hero were upto 3 months difference, all because of language/packaging rules.

Well that's fucking stupid. I have a hunch this will change before release, at least with Canada. I can't think of one instance where a game was released later here than in the US, it makes absolutely no sense.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
If Nintendo is really holding back the release for Canada and the EU as punishment for XY leaking early in those regions, then that's extremely petty.

Any goodwill Nintendo earned this week may be wiped out thanks to a single dumbass decision.

MilesTeg

Banned
Nintendo to punish EU over breaking MK8 street date. Smash Bros will release in the United States on November 11th. A release date for EU will be announced later. Please Understand.

Oswen

I can't really believe it's a punishing act.

Why punish thousands fans because some retailers broke an agreement? Take it on them.
The only result will be angry fans and a few lost sales while the previously mentioned retailers will just not care and sell the game a week later.

It really sounds like a childish reaction, there are probably other reasons behind the delay.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
They don't have a firm release date, but I don't see why canada won't release along side with the U.S.

Wait for a confirmation before you raise your pitchforks.

espher

No way, has something like this actually happened before?

As in, a game was released in the US at a different date than in Canada?

I haven't ever seen it before, and I can't remember it ever happening when I used to live in Canada.

This has got to be some sort of miscommunication.

The original Rock Band was delayed ~two months in Canada iirc -- something we found out very close to release -- though that was likely because of a hardware shortage or a packaging thing.

Nintendo to punish EU over breaking MK8 street date. Smash Bros will release in the United States on November 11th. A release date for EU will be announced later. Please Understand.
Thing is NOE actually told MediaMarkt (a big German electronics retailer) there was no embargo and they could sell MK8 as soon as they got it in (source is a friend of an Internet comment so borderline tales from my ass but no reason to believe it to be a lie).

ohlawd

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Canadian culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Canada, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the canadian public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire for the 3DS, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and make Canada part of the worldwide launch or you can kiss your business goodbye.

ahh man I still laughed

It has to be a petty punishment thing, there's literally no other reason, ESPECIALLY to fucking Canada.
yeah we're harmless

we do people right. we the nicest people on the globe.

Let's break down what we know...

US has a release date of November 21st.

Canada has a release date of November.

Pokemon Company hasn't yet announced a specific date for Canada.

From these 3 peices of information people are assuming...

US now has a vendetta against Canadian pokemon players.

Nintendo/TPC are DEFINITELY not releasing the same day as US or even possibly earlier.

Nintendo is punishing Canada for it's early release of X/Y.

Kinsei

Banned
If Nintendo is really holding back the release for Canada and the EU as punishment for XY leaking early in those regions, then that's extremely petty.

Any goodwill Nintendo earned this week may be wiped out thanks to a single dumbass decision.

If it is punishment then you can bet your ass that this is TPC's doing, not Nintendo's

Banned
Ever since the Canadian dollar dropped Canada has been avoided like the plague for launch (PS Now Beta, Pokemon now, wtf?)

:(

TUSR

Banned
tsk tsk

mind mentioning the day?
Official Pokemon website says World Wide November 2014.

We have had release parity with the States for the last 3+ games. Additionally, X and Y had a World Wide release date.

E3 Press Kit said:
BELLEVUE, WA—June 10, 2014—The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo announced today that the Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire video games will launch in North America on Friday, November 21, 2014, exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. Pokémon fans will collect, battle, and trade Pokémon as they travel throughout the rich natural beauty of the Hoenn region.

Official Pokemon Website said:
Look forward to Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire when the games launch worldwide in November 2014!

ohlawd

Official Pokemon website says World Wide November 2014.

We have had release parity with the States for the last 3+ games. Additionally, X and Y had a World Wide release date.
I'm just saying Enju-chan

I'll go apeshit if, no matter how low of a chance, we get this delayed.

They should do like they did with WWHD and release digital on 21th in every place, since that cannot be broken. Then manage the retail date as they please.

Yeah, I like digital. Come at me.

Why don't they just... you know... not ship copies to stores in Europe/Canada until 2-3 days before release? Seems like the fair option, UK stores already don't receive copies of most games until 1-3 days before the release date anyway.

Not our fault that Nintendo decide to ship their shit to stores 2-3 weeks early in a few countries.

indivisible

Neo Member

Sorry I laughed. Nothing will happen, just like the protests at Ubi montreal over Rayman being delayed..... Canada is such a small part of the north american market. People with nintendo systems aren't gonna buy nintendo games? What will they play? Most people will probably blame living in Canada as to why we don't have it the same day not as a punishment, unless it is in the news or something.

immewnity

Neo Member
Joe, normally I agree with you, but here - it could just be that Canada's release hasn't yet been set in stone. For all we know, they could be getting it before the US.

EDIT: Just saw your apology comment. Okay, all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom