• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carmack on the 360/ PS3 development

Zweisy1

multiplatform devs with a PC background are obviously going to prefer the Xbox 360. That's like the key demographic as far as developers go.

Yeah that's true.. it's a well known fact though that Sony just doesn't come close to MS when it comes to development tools and support. It's always been one of Sony's weaknesses.

Azih

Zweisy1 said:
Yeah that's true.. it's a well known fact though that Sony just doesn't come close to MS when it comes to development tools and support. It's always been one of Sony's weaknesses.
It's not so much a Sony weakness as a Microsoft strength. It's a timely issue though with Western developers being so much more important now than they used to be.

tissot

Kittonwy said:
I have a PS3, that's what I'm spending most of my gaming time playing, it has already become my main platform, so what exactly is Carmack implying about Id's PS3 titles and should I even bother purchasing them?
gladtomeetya.gif

But didn't you always prefer the Sony brand, regardless of the quality compared to the competitors
Indifferent2.gif

Mojovonio

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I have a PS3, that's what I'm spending most of my gaming time playing, it has already become my main platform, so what exactly is Carmack implying about Id's PS3 titles and should I even bother purchasing them?
gladtomeetya.gif

If that's what you took out of that interview, you need help.

Kittonwy said:

If you read between the lines, he is telling you, Kittowny, that multiplatform gamers get the best of everything, even though single-platform gamers will try the hardest to tell everybody that they are happier. :D

Mojovonio

Banned
ChrisAllenFiz said:
I used to dream of 41FPS in quake, as I chugged along between 17 and 25.

but 17-25fps in 1996 in Quake was enouch to sate any of our wants. That game kicked ass and had a Reznor soundtrack to boot!

Mojovonio said:
but 17-25fps in 1996 in Quake was enouch to sate any of our wants. That game kicked ass and had a Reznor soundtrack to boot!

I used to bop along at 50+fps with my 3DFX Voodoo card and some tweaking.

Arsenal

We expect to keep in mind the issues of bringing this up on the PlayStation 3. But we’re not going to do much until we’re at the point where we need to bring it up to spec on the PlayStation 3. We’ll probably do that two or three times during the major development schedule. It’s not something we’re going to try and keep in-step with us.

This to me is one of the most telling parts of the interview. MS has made the dev tools so easy to use that devs are targeting the 360 first, then basically porting over to the PS3. From a practical and financial point of view, this approach probably makes the most sense for multi-platform games. As long as devs take this approach though, it will continue to negate any hardware advantages the PS3 may have.

While we all know that Carmack isn't lazy, he certainly does sound a little whiny, lol. Embrace the cores John, stop living in the 90s! And Sony, for chrissake, put in some graphs to help these guys out!

Arsenal said:
This to me is one of the most telling parts of the interview. MS has made the dev tools so easy to use that devs are targeting the 360 first, then basically porting over to the PS3. From a practical and financial point of view, this approach probably makes the most sense for multi-platform games. As long as devs take this approach though, it will continue to negate any hardware advantages the PS3 may have.

While we all know that Carmack isn't lazy, he certainly does sound a little whiny, lol. Embrace the cores John, stop living in the 90s! And Sony, for chrissake, put in some graphs to help these guys out!

?

:-(

travisbickle said:
What?!?

Do you guys(Americans), even think that sounds correct?

"Incentivize" is in the Cambridge dictionary now. Not that that means anything.

Are you British? Because, if so, I've got a bone to pick with your corporate culture for inventing the word "aspirational." It seems like very damn time I've sat down with a bunch of advertising guys over the last few years, I have to hear that one.

I had to look it up once. I thought, "No way that's a real word." :)

RuGalz

Zweisy1 said:
Sony being a Japanese company has a lot to do with the support issue. It's not like MS where engineers there all speak English and Western developer can just ask them directly to get answers. In the case of Sony (and Nintendo) you kind of have to go by 2nd hand info a lot of time from their English speaking engineers. They have been improving the process. It can still be a lot better, but IMO, it's not as big of a problem as people trying to make it out to be.

Doom wizard John Carmack said:
We’ve got our PlayStation 3 dev kits, and we’ve got our code compiling on it. I do intend to do a simultaneous release on it. But the honest truth is that Microsoft dev tools are so much better than Sony’s.

Jeez . . . You can't turn around without someone bashing Sony. But I think they deserve a lot of the bashing.

If you are going to use such a radical CPU architecture, you better create a really good set of developer tools to go along with it. It looks like they didn't do so well. Of course, this is an area where Microsoft really has far FAR more experience.

However, Carmack said that he will do a simultaneous release . . . and I'm sure he will. But the problem is that even though the PS3 version has the capability to be better than the xbox 360 version, it will end up looking the same since there will be no extra effort to use that additional power.

travisbickle said:
Do you guys(Americans), even think that sounds correct?

It has a certain amount of truthiness to it. Bush, the decider, has decidered we are all allowed to coinage our own wordies and spreadeth them on the internets.

volmer

pr0cs said:
iD has been really quiet lately, I am really curious what they (and Carmack) are actually working on.
He's still one of favorite developers, while a lot of the more recent iD tech has been eclipsed by other developers iD has always been instrumental in pushing graphic prowess further first.

He working on (I guess among other things, like engine development and contributions to gpu development at nvidia) this: http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/

theBishop said:
John Carmack is a programming genius. Its a shame he's having so many issues with parallel processing.

PS: I think they meant to say "race conditions" not "erase conditions".

Whew . . . I thought my programming skills were getting REALLY outdated. I was thinking WTF are these 'erase conditions!'.

I almost went to grad school in 1987 in order to study & work on parallel programming issues. It is kinda funny that it is literally 20 years later and they are STILL struggling with parallel programming issues.

pr0cs said:
I'm talking more about software development. When you have as much money as he does you can afford such passtimes as making your own spaceship. :lol

When you have as much money has he has, it is amazing he still works so hard. :D

Short version:

What do you think about PS3\360 development?

XBox 360 is easy do work on, we got great tools, yadda yadda yadda...

Yeah, but what about PS3?

Oh, it sucks, XBox 360 is easy to work on, we got great tools, yadda yadda yadda...

Tk0n

speculawyer said:
However, Carmack said that he will do a simultaneous release . . . and I'm sure he will. But the problem is that even though the PS3 version has the capability to be better than the xbox 360 version, it will end up looking the same since there will be no extra effort to use that additional power.

you read quite alot into what carmack said ;)

RavenFox

Banned
Maybe he should get on Sonys world wide studios for some help because other programmers are getting awesome results. Carmack is not the God he once was and he has to stop making excuses. [Now Gaf the man can program his ass off but only for things that fit his mole]. Maybe team Crysis can give some multicore pointers? Take them off the ppu to the spu Carmack.

DenogginizerOS said:
mckmas8808 said:
That's the gift and the curse of the PS3. It's harder to program for, but if you master it you could probably get better performance out of it than it's competitor.

The question is, "Which will have a greater impact: the gift or the curse?"

Unfortunately for Sony, it is the curse. With most games being multi-platform, they'll develop for the least common denominator between the PS3 & xbox 360.

If Sony was first out of the gate and it looked like the PS3 was going to be as successful as the PS2, then people would work hard to create the best PS3 games. But since the xbox 360 has the bigger market-share, the development will be focused more on the xbox 360 than the PS3. And on top of that, you can throw in the development tools advantage of the xbox 360.

I hope Sony can improve their development tool situation. They should really buy any good tools that Insomniac created while developing Resistance and give them to all the PS3 dev kit holders.

Sony had better make their first & second party titles good . . . because ERTS, ATVI, & TTWO are not going to lift a finger to make the PS3 versions of their multi-platform titles any better than the xbox 360 versions.

Sorry for monopolizing the thread, I just find this topic very interesting.

Agent Icebeezy said:
He thinks that the 360 development environment is better than doing it on the PC. This is the first time he's ever felt this way about something.

I don't think that is a good interpretation. MS created a (mostly) unified PC & xbox 360 development environment. So the PC & xbox 360 dev environments are the same. (Actually . . . maybe the reason why he likes the xbox 360 dev environment is because it is like the PC dev environment that he is more accustomed to.)

KTallguy

Banned
speculawyer said:
Unfortunately for Sony, it is the curse. With most games being multi-platform, they'll develop for the least common denominator between the PS3 & xbox 360.

I agree, but when other teams start putting out amazing things exclusively for the PS3, I'm sure the tide will shift just a little bit.

I like Carmack, he's done a TON for the PC industry. Microsoft is courting top players from the PC sphere, and very effectively at that. Xbox 1 got a ton of PC devs excited from the get go as well.

In any case, I'm excited to see what he's working on, but I'll probably play it on a PC anyway.

Kittonwy

Banned
tissot said:
But didn't you always prefer the Sony brand, regardless of the quality compared to the competitors
Indifferent2.gif

I prefer the best quality software on the system I play the most, what's the problem there? You mean you would buy stuff from Id on your console of choice even if it's badly made? This has more to do with whether or not Carmack and Id are going to pump out something good on the PS3, and depending on that I will decide whether I would buy their game or not, I think that's pretty fair, if they don't put effort in their PS3 game, I don't see why I should bother with their PS3 game.
Indifferent2.gif

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ChrisAllenFiz said:
I used to dream of 41FPS in quake, as I chugged along between 17 and 25.
You think that's bad? Before upgrading, I completed Quake on a 486DX2/66. The game varied between 2-8 fps (in a smaller window).

What the F*CK was I thinking?! I think the simple fact that I was playing Quake and the music rocked kept me going.

Kittonwy said:
I prefer the best quality software on the system I play the most, what's the problem there? You mean you would buy stuff from Id on your console of choice even if it's badly made? This has more to do with whether or not Carmack and Id are going to pump out something good on the PS3, and depending on that I will decide whether I would buy their game or not, I think that's pretty fair, if they don't put effort in their PS3 game, I don't see why I should bother with their PS3 game.

I usually play the games that are the most fun. I guess some could be really upset that there is a prettier or smoother version on another platform, but that's why it's best to just get all the platforms if possible. But either way, a good game is a good game. People with only a PS2 should definitely still play Psychonauts even though the Xbox and PC versions beat up on it in the graphical department.

I would suggest buying Mr. Carmack's next game if you find it fun, and passing if you don't.

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

perhaps due to the whole "fun" thing

edit: hah beaten

beermonkey@tehbias said:
People with only a PS2 should definitely still play Psychonauts even though the Xbox and PC versions beat up on it in the graphical department.

I still have unopened xbox 360 games, while psychonauts takes up time on my xbox 360.

But it sucks that much of the xbox 360 OS can't run during xbox emulation . . . I don't get notices when friends come online and invite me to online games. :-(

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif
LOL, this from the guy that said in the Gundam Musou thread:

Kittonwy said:
It's about time they have a game with the name Musou on the PS3. The PS2 launched with Dynasty Warriors 2, I was appalled at Koei not just slapping a Dynasty Warrior title on the PS3, I didn't even care if it's crap, it had to be there.
angry.gif

hmm from what he says I expect the game to look marginally better on the 360...what he is saying is that he doesnt feel it is worth the time playing directly to ps3 strengths...might be too time and cost consuming. Fare game to him, as long as it looks in step on the ps3.

peace

KTallguy said:
I agree, but when other teams start putting out amazing things exclusively for the PS3, I'm sure the tide will shift just a little bit.

I sure hope so. I generally cheer on the underdog since I want a very competitive marketplace. MS WAS the underdog, but now it seems Sony is the underdog.

MS's unified PC & xbox 360 is a double-edge sword . . . it has attracted lots of developers who are making good products. But since many of those products also end up on the PC, people may decide the PS3 is the better platform since they can get the PS3 exclusives for the PS3 and get the quasi-xbox 360 exclusives on the PC. (For example, Bioshock, Alan Wake, etc.)

KTallguy

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
hmm from what he says I expect the game to look marginally better on the 360...what he is saying is that he doesnt feel it is worth the time playing directly to ps3 strengths...might be too time and cost consuming. Fare game to him, as long as it looks in step on the ps3.

peace

If you're going multiplatform, I think that is going to be a very common sentiment.

The next generation of games built from the ground up for their respective systems will make or break 360/PS3. Gears of War is a prime example of a beautiful, fun game that is built from the ground up on the 360. Both platforms are going to need games like GOW to really show what each system is capable of.

But Madden on 360 and Madden on PS3 will look exactly the same.

speculawyer said:
MS's unified PC & xbox 360 is a double-edge sword . . . it has attracted lots of developers who are making good products. But since many of those products also end up on the PC...

That's 90% of the reason why I didn't bother with Xbox in the last generation. I played 90% of Xbox hits on the PC. And Oblivion on the PC was a technically superior experience to the console version (I don't know how you could argue otherwise).

Kittonwy

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
I usually play the games that are the most fun. I guess some could be really upset that there is a prettier or smoother version on another platform, but that's why it's best to just get all the platforms if possible. But either way, a good game is a good game. People with only a PS2 should definitely still play Psychonauts even though the Xbox and PC versions beat up on it in the graphical department.

I would suggest buying Mr. Carmack's next game if you find it fun, and passing if you don't.

Are you telling me NOT to buy Carmack's games? The last Id game I bought was Doom 3 on the PC which I didn't find particularly "fun" *makes quotation gesture* compared to other FPS I've played like Halo 1/2, SOCOM and Resistance, but then "fun" is very much dependent on personal preference.
Indifferent2.gif

Anyway, I don't have anything against fun games like Psychonauts on the PS2, but technical problems like a bad framerate or bugs can hamper the whole gameplay experience, obviously I can tolerate occasional framerate snags (heck I even tolerated Ubi's fatal bug in POP2 which I experienced first-hand). The way I see Carmack games is that they aren't games I can't live without, so it's up to them to appeal to me. It might sound strange to some but to me a game purchase is kind of like making a statement for me.

theBishop

Banned
speculawyer said:
I sure hope so. I generally cheer on the underdog since I want a very competitive marketplace. MS WAS the underdog, but now it seems Sony is the underdog.

MS's unified PC & xbox 360 is a double-edge sword . . . it has attracted lots of developers who are making good products. But since many of those products also end up on the PC, people may decide the PS3 is the better platform since they can get the PS3 exclusives for the PS3 and get the quasi-xbox 360 exclusives on the PC. (For example, Bioshock, Alan Wake, etc.)

this is the main reason i haven't bought a 360 yet.

Between Sony's suddenly huge and varied first party development empire, and their (by default) next-gen Japanese exclusive status, I still expect PS3 to have the best variety of exclusive content.

Two thing have always thrown me about Carmack's negativity toward PS3:

One, Carmack is a notorious x86 assembly junkie. Its surprising to me that he isn't more excited to get his hands dirty on a new, powerful architecture.

Two, Carmack has a good track record for supporting Gnu/Linux. He has released a lot of his code under the GPL license, and Id always gets Linux binaries out for current games. This leads me to believe he personally uses Free Software tools like GCC/Make/etc , which Sony and IBM are also using for Cell development.

I guess I don't picture Carmack as the kind of programmer who gives a damn about Microsoft's heavyweight IDE and tools.

Top Bottom