• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Lithgow Still Regrets Passing on Playing the Joker in Tim Burton’s Batman

Mr_Moogle

Lithgow would be a great Joker. He could play just about any super villain role that doesn't require muscles really.

My dad was once told he looks like Lithgow and wasn't sure how to take it. I made sure to go on a long rant about why Lithgow is awesome and that he should take is as a compliment.

DiscoJer

Lithgow is fine as a cold, emotionless sociopath. I can see him really bringing the humor and charisma needed to play the Joker, though. I can't believe that Nicholson wasn't their first choice. Either way though, Burton chose wisely.

He was pretty good in Buckaroo Banzai as a somewhat buffoonish alien villain.

Ecotic

I always thought the young Jack in the flashback could have been the Joker. The actor wasn't a big name, but he had presence, menace, and a creepy smile.

20120824-hugo.jpg

Uh, what?

He can do both. Blow Out to the over the top comedy of 30 Rock is not something your average actor can pull off.

Dude would've nailed Joker hard. I don't see how that's up for debate. He is legitimately a stunning actor.

I don't disagree with you and I love 30 Rock more than anything but his short cameo in one episode is not really something to point to to show he has comedic acting chops or range. He's just lost in a building for like two quick scenes.

I don't disagree with you and I love 30 Rock more than anything but his short cameo in one episode is not really something to point to to show he has comedic acting chops or range. He's just lost in a building for like two quick scenes.

3rd Rock from the Sun? Harry and the Hendersons too.

For a period of time people forgot he was so good at playing psycho nuts and thought he was just a goofy comedy actor man

3rd Rock from the Sun? Harry and the Hendersons too.

For a period of time people forgot he was so good at playing psycho nuts and thought he was just a goofy comedy actor man

Both of those are much better examples, yes! I knew I had seen him in something comedic (3rd Rock from the Sun) but I'm high and sleepy and couldn't remember the name.

Uh, what?

He can do both. Blow Out to the over the top comedy of 30 Rock is not something your average actor can pull off.

Dude would've nailed Joker hard. I don't see how that's up for debate. He is legitimately a stunning actor.

Lol I think you mean 3rd Rock

DeathyBoy

Banned

But he was so good.

- Meant 3rd Rock

Am I crazy or was Jack Nicholson kinda terrible as Joker? Just cartoony and over the top in not a funny or fun way, just kinda annoying.

>:)

As good as Lithgow is, I just can't see it. I do see him as an amazing Burtonized Scarecrow though.

Sorcerer

Good that he didn't get it. He might have done it for a paycheck and just slummed the role. If he had any enthusiasm in the first place that would be a different story.

black_13

Banned
I actually think he could've done a decent Joker! He has more of the long face the joker has in the comics and he certainly has the acting ability to play a psycho from his previous roles.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Lithgow is an amazing and underrated actor. I am sure he would have been amazing as the Joker. I'm not sure he would have been better than Jack though.

Nicholson' Joker is iconic and helped raise the profile of that movie big time. Would love to have seen a Lithgow interpretation though. Tim Curry is another guy from that era who I think would have been great.

cr0w

Old Member
He would definitely have been a more interesting choice for me personally than Nicholson was. My problem with Jack is no matter what he's playing, it's still just Jack Nicholson. I never saw Joker there, just Jack in facepaint.

jfoul

Would have been awesome to see him as the Joker, but totally understandable for him to not want the role. Superhero movies had a high chance of killing careers back then.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
John Lithgow is one of my favorite actors of all time. He can play any genre from slap stick to serious. Very few actors can do that, and do that well. He would've made a great Joker.

Top Bottom