• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Romero just uploaded a video demo of Mario Bros 3 for PC made by id in 1990

Renekton

Ya most graphics adapters at the time were teh suck.

However I remember buying 2D Accelerator from S3, but never knew if it helped with 2D games.

kodecraft

It's a drama-fraught, rags to riches story. I'm surprised it hasn't been adapted yet. Like all those ridiculous moments of genius that fictional characters always pull out of their asses overnight really happened with Carmack multiple times in the 90's.

GAF, could y'all imagine a film adaptation of Masters of Doom, directed by David Fincher and written by Aaron Sorkin? Oh...my...God!

zeioIIDX

After hearing about this from Masters of Doom and various interviews with Romero and Carmack over the years, it's great to finally see - even if it isn't perfect, it honestly looks a lot more polished than I expected. You can clearly tell that in terms of tech, Carmack's engine is already a good bit more advanced compared to most PC games of the era, even at this early stage.

I agree, I always wondered how it looked. I pictured it as being slightly more crude looking. This is so damn cool.

KingV

The physics honestly don't look that bad. SMB3 has super floaty jumps already.

It doesn't look perfect, but they also don't know exactly how Nintendo is calculating the physics.

Raitaro

Hey John / id Software: this is cool and all, but what about a new Commander Keen - or at the very least a definitive Steam collection of the old games - instead to celebrate this iconic classic series?

Cheers!

(Queue people telling me this is already available...or planned...)

derExperte

Hey John / id Software: this is cool and all, but what about a new Commander Keen - or at the very least a definitive Steam collection of the old games - instead to celebrate this iconic classic series?

Cheers!

(Queue people telling me this is already available...or planned...)

You could buy this + this. Nothing fancy but I doubt we'll ever get something better.

The people that comment on these topics without any sort of knowledge always blow me away.

This was a technical feat because the 386 computers of the day were not designed to perform side scrolling. It doesn't matter if they were "faster" on paper then an NES. No one had been able to do this untill John Carmack.

386? Invasion of the Vorticons ran fine on my family's XT. That was the feat.

It wasn't until Goodbye Galaxy that the series needed a beefier machine.

Well, I found this game from 1989 by psygnosis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbj6hIkUyYE

Scrolling seems pretty smooth.

Not familiar with this game but the patterned background makes me suspect it is using animated tiles to simulate scrolling, similar to how early parallax scrolling was achieved. Also none of the scrolling elements have collision or state the way Mario 3 does which makes a big difference.

Not saying this isn't impressive, it was probably a shitload of work and I'd love to learn more about it, but at first glance it looks to be a slightly different beast.

Not familiar with this game but the patterned background makes me suspect it is using animated tiles to simulate scrolling, similar to how early parallax scrolling was achieved. Also none of the scrolling elements have collision or state the way Mario 3 does which makes a big difference.

Not saying this isn't impressive, it was probably a shitload of work and I'd love to learn more about it, but at first glance it looks to be a slightly different beast.

Yeah, this game looks like it would be using animated tiles to achieve a fake scrolling effect for the BG layer. Though there are objects like plants and things that do look like they are scrolling from the hardware, maybe? This would be comparable to something like Moon Patrol, I would imagine. It looks like faked forced scrolling, and none of it is arbitrary like the Mario 3 demo.

This is still a really cool looking game. Psygnosis always made technically impressive stuff.

soco

So, was id's method more compatible?

I think commander keen actually uses that level of panning, but that's only part of the solution. Commander Keen also had to support CGA in the absence of EGA. Additionally, that smooth scrolling only works for moving the entire screen. You needed additional buffers off screen and to only redraw changes, and those blits could be expensive.

Plus if I recall, drawing in EGA was a pain in the ass for a few different reasons, one of them being awkward pixel masking while drawing. If you look at the commander keen source, they seem to use this hybrid mode where they may have been using text characters and possibly drawing on top of that, which is even more interesting.

By the time VGA games were a bit more common, computers were fast enough that this could be done in software rather easily. I remember spending many a late night writing a VGA library that could handle tiles, sprites, and animations and still do smooth scrolling. This was readily doable on a 486 without any real challenges. However, commander keen and those games likely had to jump through even more hoops to run on the 286, and possibly the 8086.

Well, I found this game from 1989 by psygnosis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbj6hIkUyYE

Scrolling seems pretty smooth.

I think you're trying too hard to diminish the accomplishment of Carmack's scrolling by claiming earlier titles did it first. (Also, that's the saddest and most static version of Menace I've ever seen...even worse than the C64 version, but that was the norm of most DOS action-scrolling games of the day. At least that 8-bit version managed convincing parallax tiled BGs AFAIR while this one is all what appears to be animated, pseudo-scrolling static ones.) Yeah, it looks sort of smooth, but it's running at a linear rate, limited to being only on the x-axis, and forced into being always on compared to the id Mario 3 PC tech demo which showcases a completely controlled scrolling view by centering on user movement, runs at varying rates of movement based on the user, and also scrolls on the y-axis and diagonally, preserving the positions of all animated and enemy sprites which stay perfectly anchored to the tiled platforms and include a fair number of variations on-screen at once. All running smoothly and doing a great job of what a platform like the NES does easily by comparison.

komojo

Neo Member
Glad I can finally see this. Kudos to Romero for sharing so much video game history over the years.

Everyone in this thread complaining about floaty jump physics:
rYntVCa.jpg

I wonder, if Nintendo had said yes, what would ID had done with the Wolfenstein tech later on if they were a Nintendo partner?

Wolf3D tech was directly inspired by F-Zero (there is a good story about Carmack locking himself in his room to accomplish this in Masters of Doom for anyone who hasn't read it like get on it what are you doing still reading this parenthetical aside, go, now!) and they ended up porting it to SNES anyway so I suspect history would have played out pretty much the same. Nintendo made it clear they didn't care about FPS for a long time. Hell, Splatoon only came out this year.

soco

also found this dos version of golden axe from 1990 that actually looks pretty impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbFTjUBkeNw
and an explanation from the programmer and it sounds relatively straight forward

It's using VGA, so it's likely a level up in terms of hardware (at least 286?). At the point of the 386 and VGA, it became easily possible to do this -- even in software, but that was still prohibitively expensive for many in 1990. Even more impressive for the same year was Wing Commander, which also worked in VGA and targeted the 386.

The description is interesting because he's talking about using Mode X before Mode X had been published (1991 according to wikipedia), but maybe he learned about it from Abrash on a newsgroup if he had access.

It's using VGA, so it's likely a level up in terms of hardware (at least 286?). At the point of the 386 and VGA, it became easily possible to do this -- even in software, but that was still prohibitively expensive for many in 1990. Even more impressive for the same year was Wing Commander, which also worked in VGA and targeted the 386.

The description is interesting because he's talking about using Mode X before Mode X had been published (1991 according to wikipedia), but maybe he learned about it from Abrash on a newsgroup if he had access.

Golden Axe for DOS does seem to have CGA, EGA, Tandy mode, and Hercules modes as well. I can;t find any video on the EGA version, but here is what the CGA version looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoimkm9Uq8c

The scrolling doesn't look too bad all things considering.

soco

Golden Axe for DOS does seem to have CGA, EGA, Tandy mode, and Hercules modes as well. I can;t find any video on the EGA version, but here is what the CGA version looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoimkm9Uq8c

The scrolling doesn't look too bad all things considering.

Yeah I saw that but couldn't find a video quickly when I looked. It's light years better than most CGA games I've seen, but it's still jerky (especially at about 2:33). However, this is likely ran from an emulator with god knows what specs and changes. My point in pointing out the VGA thing is that it's a different set of hardware, and VGA made it much easier to do (and also that i'm not 100% sure I buy the authors explanation of what he's doing there as there were other ways of doing that for VGA than modeX.)

~~~

One of the problems to understand this in context is not when the game was released and what was around it, but rather, when each of these things were being developed and what information they had access to. If we consider simply the release of examples, much of this may have been done first in the demo scene.

Few people had access to the internet in 89 and 90, aside from maybe some usenet access. This made it much more difficult to share neat tricks. Usenet, Dr Dobbs, and books like Michael Abrash's books were common. It's difficult to know what was around while they were developing and what Carmack had access to. This was especially true at the time for shareware developers like id. Undoubtedly, the development timelines for all of these were overlapped, and the engine was likely partially in development the year before. (Though the line between tinkering, learning, and full engine development may have been thin). So regardless of which hit the market first, it's at least possible that Carmack had never seen them before he had finished the basic technique. It's also possible, if not probable, that he didn't have the same access to information as some of the larger companies doing ports.

As an additional thing, Golden Axe, at least according to MobyGames was done by Team Shinobi, who had also worked on other dos ports, and their earlier work was just as unsmooth. Altered Beast and maybe shadow dancer (can't find verifiable videos that aren't emulators).

As for the demo scene, their development cycles could be much shorter as they were basically tech and skill demos, and not full-fledged games. They had a ton of techniques that were impressive to do things like emulate true color with VGA and some cool 3d techniques. There were at least a few games that came out of some of those demos.

FWIW, I don't know the exact state or what Carmack had access to, and I haven't read the book. It's clear that the industry was converging on smooth scrolling, even without Carmack, and it would have gotten there at the same time it did. It's entirely possible that id was playing catch-up and just came up with a catchy name and a "difficult problem" for sake of marketing. Keen was released earlier enough and was shareware so largely accessible, so it makes for a great story, and may still have been one of the first smooth-scrolling games most pc gamers had seen.

Top Bottom