• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joker hits $1 billion at box office - First R-rated movie to do so

VulcanRaven

1567074748_joker-movie.jpg

Deserved. One of the best movies in the superhero genre and I hope Jaquin Phoenix get an Oscar nomination. Sequel would be great.

God damn. I thought 700 million was where it was going to stop in the box office. I was way off. I just have to say congratulations to all those that worked on it . 1 billion is still a colossal hit and a film worthy of it's box office ssucess. I just wonder if it as enough left in the tank to hit 1.2 billion.

I have yet to see it as work has kept me extremely busy, but mark my words. I still want to see it, and I will see it as soon as I can. I can't wait.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
They tried to succeed with Leto's Joker and how he failed with it (I don't believe that Joker was so bad) but this Joker shows a villain can hold down their own movie and this is the best Joker ever.

GV82

Saw it today what a great movie, nothing to worry about like they vilified it to be.

As I said in the Syndercut thread, Todd Phillips made me want Batman in the 70’s the only decade we never got Live Action Batman since the 60’s

Also the 50’s was the only other decade without one, since they first introduced Batman to Live Action in the 40’s, a 1950’s set Batman would be another I’d pay to see.

And of course a live action Batman of the Future as we called it in the UK, the rest of you know it as Batman Beyond.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I loved it. I'll probably never see it a 2nd time though. All I'd really need is youtube clips of the highlights.

Hope to see a sequel.

JimiNutz

Banned
I hope WB learn from this.
R rated comic book movies can make shit loads of money when done right. Plus making more R rated comic book movies will set them apart from Disney/Marvel and offer fans something different.

Luckily for WB they have the perfect hero with a shit load of great characters to utilize for this - Batman.

Give us more R rated movies based on Batman characters please.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I think if they're smart they'll do a dark Batman without Joker. Court of Owls. Something we haven't seen 100x at least, and it has to turn out well. Then bring in Joaqin's Joker for Batman 2. And then see what happens after that.

They tried to succeed with Leto's Joker and how he failed with it (I don't believe that Joker was so bad) but this Joker shows a villain can hold down their own movie and this is the best Joker ever.

it's a tough thing to judge

while IMO his joker sucked, that entire movie was a god damn tire fire which no doubt soured peoples opinions of it (myself included)

hopefully Joker was testing the waters and we get similar movies in the future

Last edited:
Congrats. Kinda itching for a r-rated Spawn movie.
todd mcfarlane has been pushing to make an r-rated spawn movie for years now and has jamie foxx on board as spawn and jeremy renner as detective twitch williams

production hasn't pushed forward because executives only wanna do marvel type pg13 movies

todd has expressed interest in even crowd-funding the movie

joker seems to have changed that

from 2 weeks ago:

"We keep pushing for it. It's interesting cause the Marvel movies, the MCU, has been doing quite well and those are PG-13 movies," McFarlane told Phoenix News Times. "I keep trying to convince people that doing a dark, serious comic book movie will work. There's been so much success with these PG-13 movies that there's a resistance to them in Hollywood."

"But since Joker came out, it proves what I've been saying for over two years to any executives I can talk to," he continued. "Serious dark comic books can work. R-movies can succeed. So now, all of a sudden, I've been getting a lot of phone calls saying, 'Todd, we need to talk to you about that R-rated dark thing you wanted to do.' So Joker did me a favor."

-----------------------------------------

quickwhips

Grats to the making money. I watched it and didnt like it. Had a few good scenes but not what i wanted in a joker movie. Maybe when they reboot next time Ill get what i want?

cryptoadam

Banned

I wonder if Trump could be impeached for pirating a copy of Joker? Someone over heard that he downloaded a copy from Piratebay. Good quality CAM version too.

Its funny how hard the media tried to kill this movie, they literally said people will get killed if they go see the movie and it still made a billion dollars. I guess the Jokes on you Hollywood. Truely a clown world

🤡 🌏

One billi
No features (AKA no China)
No one died

Not an amazing movie but an amazing accomplishment, it can only get better from here.

Raziel

did it without 3d, china, pg13 or below rating, and the 100m budget that billion dollar movies usually have. for context, recent super hero hits captain marvel and spiderman far from home would not have crossed a billion without china.

where it ranks (and where itll probably finish) among the top wb movies:

1. harry potter 8 - $1.341
2. aquaman - $1.148
3. return of the king - $1.120
4. dark knight rises - $1.081
5. joker - $1.017

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I saw it for the first time the other night and I loved it. So glad it's doing well, despite those with personal issues trying to project their insecurities and agendas onto it.

iconmaster

Banned
Sites were calling this on Friday, but it hadn't actually crossed a billion yet. The headlines read "Joker Crosses One Billion" but then the body read "Joker will cross one billion..." Cheeky. Thanks for holding out, OP.

But it's happened since and yeah, surpassing even the Dark Knight is quite an accomplishment.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Sites were calling this on Friday, but it hadn't actually crossed a billion yet. The headlines read "Joker Crosses One Billion" but then the body read "Joker will cross one billion..." Cheeky. Thanks for holding out, OP.

But it's happened since and yeah, surpassing even the Dark Knight is quite an accomplishment.

Agreed. I hope this makes it so more R-rated content gets pumped out, at higher quality, of course.

Kenpachii

Movie felt like fight club to be honest. Found it a bit to try hard really but a decent movie. Didn't found it much special.

I guess the fake outrage helped it big time.

Ragebait / outrage marketing finally worked *against* the journalists for once.

This movie had a ridiculous amount of free marketing. "Don't go see this movie!" 50 articles said. "It's toxic pro-incel misogynistic immoral garbage and it will cause mass shootings!"

Very funny.

Thaedolus

Joaquin Phoenix is the fucking man. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie in theaters (I honestly can't think of a single once since our kid was born last year...) but I was *this* close to going. Will stream it at home for sure....

Top Bottom